Thank you for coming to my wife's and my page. We greatly appreciate everyone that views/comments/faves our pictures and enjoy looking at our contact's pictures as well!
DetroitDerek Photography is a combination of my wife Kerry Farr and I ( Derek ). In our photos we convey the beauty, grit, grime, and personality of Urban Life. We believe nothing encompasses this better than our city of Detroit. Bringing to life Detroit’s unique and sometimes forgotten history is one of our great joys and passions. If you are in the film or video industry, I also work as a location scout consultant ( most recently in the Ronnie Dunn Video "Cost Of Living" ) - contact me and let's talk.
My wife and I do sell our pictures and have quite a few of them already printed on Fuji or Kodak Professional Metallic paper ( if we don't have it in stock it only takes a week to get it ) . If you are interested please send me an email at email@example.com with the pictures and sizes you are interested in. In many cases we can frame the picture as well, and have frames available in black, mahogany, and dark brown and if you're in the Detroit area I'll deliver it to you.
I was born and grew up in in Toronto/Niagara Falls ( Chippewa actually ) and live now in Detroit ( by way of Southend/Shenfield in England ). My parents were originally from Holland and England - I got a chance to visit a lot of places when I was younger. I am a 25+ year veteran musician who got into photography at the end of July 2007. I've played bass guitar with P-Funk, Tom Jones, Rev. Right Time, The Providers, sat in with the Temptations, and many other bands.
I like history, especially old buildings and the signs painted onto those buildings. My wife's pictures are in the Kerry's Pictures Set. We try to put as much detail and history as we can about each picture.
I'm left-handed but play bass and cut with scissors right-handed for some reason ( random useless information ). We hope you like our pictures and thank you again for everyone that views/comments/faves our pictures!
++++ 1st note - If you want to use my pictures for books, blogs, magazines, etc - please - just ask me BEFORE you use them. I'm not that hard to work with. Thanks!
++++ 2nd note - if you do not have a picture icon and NO pictures in your profile the odds of me blocking you are pretty good. My wife and I are here to show off our pictures & enjoy going thru our contact's pages. If you don't have any pictures then that kind of defeats the purpose we're here, right? If you have any questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Our pictures have been featured in ( or used by ):
Eminem ( "The Way I Am" ) in his autobiography, Gaz Coombes "Detroit" CD cover, Ronnie Dunn " The Cost Of Living" Video, The Book " World's Lost Places". The American Architectural Foundation, GQ magazine, Penguin Books, Scholastic, Pearson Publishing U.K., Detroit Metro Times, the film "Packard: The Last Shift", Sigur Ros, MSN, Ty Hutchinson "Corktown", climbing poeTree,, Conde Nast, Enroute Magazine ( Air Canada ), The Heidelberg Project, PBS, "Groovesville USA - The Detroit Soul & R&B Index", Ben & Jerry's, The Kresge Foundation, Absolute Michigan, Wayne State University Press, Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum, Next American City Magazine, Chicago Reader, Detroit.About.Com, Woman's Day, Tomorrow Magazine, L'Internaute Magazine, Utne Magazine, Schmap, Ben Murphy, Smashing Magazine, Amateur Snapper, Threeminds, Listverse, WDIV Detroit, "Boneyards - Detroit Under Ground", The University Of Michigan "Michigan Quarterly Magazine", Songplaces.com and a host of others.
DetroitDerek Photography ( ALL RIGHTS RESERVED )'s favorite photos from other Flickr members (10,220)
- Photo Artistry 34,872 photos, 1,195 members
- MASTER OF PHOTOGRAPHY 10,202 photos, 951 members
- -- 🐱Miao Group -- 7,609 photos, 451 members
- you looking at me 845 photos, 37 members
- ¤¤ HDR ¤¤ (No limit 30/60) 3,099 photos, 83 members
- Territorio de gatos 27,435 photos, 1,681 members
- ABANDONED Buildings OVER 60YEARS OLD and Older (No People) 45,243 photos, 1,456 members
- ₪ ARCHITECTUR•ℰxᴛᴇʀɪᴏʀ┼ɪɴsɪƊƐ•SIGN ₪ 50,489 photos, 1,244 members
- destroyed places 35,032 photos, 908 members
- Derelict Places 31,670 photos, 710 members
- Abandoned Pianos (PLEASE READ GROUP DESCRIPTION!!!) 4,454 photos, 586 members
- Abandoned Beauties 163,345 photos, 3,648 members
- Abandoned - Art of Decay 52,929 photos, 1,357 members
- in explore 1,037,071 photos, 84,627 members
- Nascar Race Fans 7,665 photos, 689 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 9,205 photos, 197 members
- PureMichigan 22,454 photos, 377 members
- Detroit Red Wings 1,830 photos, 272 members
- Boxing 16,314 photos, 960 members
- Boxing photography 10,110 photos, 888 members
- Main Event Boxing 9,386 photos, 253 members
- SÓLO AMANECER-ATARDECER 63,509 photos, 4,571 members
- Amazing scenery 227,782 photos, 3,789 members
- Artistic Photography 5,073,496 photos, 137,621 members
- FlickrCentral 9,212,197 photos, 279,563 members
- Portraiture Photography 1,833,503 photos, 77,974 members
- Everything MMA 3,119 photos, 173 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 121,019 photos, 3,726 members
- Gallery One 47,459 photos, 765 members
- Streamline Moderne Architecture (Quality Images) 4,279 photos, 825 members
- Sloan - the Canadian rock band 490 photos, 66 members
- Cars Cars Cars 1,142,241 photos, 23,399 members
- CHEVROLET 131,343 photos, 4,707 members
- cell pictures 3,373 photos, 159 members
- Doctor Who Rocks! 1,158 photos, 109 members
- Jewellery Close-Up 3,555 photos, 553 members
- expressive expressions 4,998 photos, 265 members
- It's Gone 7,376 photos, 157 members
- Young Photographers Network 91,912 photos, 1,744 members
- Clocks of the World 25,622 photos, 4,144 members
- Liverpool FC Fans Photos 1,225 photos, 424 members
- INTRUDERS URBAN EXPLORERS 25,184 photos, 485 members
- Vanishing Points 37,361 photos, 3,206 members
- A Piece of Me 238,348 photos, 16,567 members
- Bella Morte (Beautiful Death) 11,962 photos, 1,422 members
- The Rustiest Stuff In The World, Just Got Rustier 6,667 photos, 753 members
- Artistic Baseball 3,663 photos, 397 members
- My Urbex Photos 43,633 photos, 914 members
- architectural photography 319,292 photos, 5,018 members
- Abandoned Sites 127,491 photos, 4,107 members
"Derek's word is truly a treasure. As a native Detroiter, he has opened my eyes to a history of a city that is in many ways unfortunately undervalued, underappreciated and largely forgotten. Without question his work definitely belongs in an educational curriculum."
October 25th, 2009
"Derek is a highly skilled artist and photographer with an encyclopedic knowledge of Detroit and its history and culture. He not only documents that history and culture, but is actively adding to it, with his music and art.
As a friend, both on FLICKR and Exposure Detroit, Derek has the generosity of spirit that seems to go with great talent. He is constantly supportive and helpful.
You will be well rewarded if you peruse Derek's photostream, and get to know one of the really "good guys" on FLICKR."
September 1st, 2009
SCOTTS WORLD says:
"Derek Farr is a very artistic person....whether it be his music or one of his new passions, photography. He commits to everything with his heart and soul (I should know, we have been best friends for over 20 years) as can be seen through his artwork. Since beginning this new passion, he has been able to show a side of Detroit that many people never knew about (also check his photostream for his other great photos besides Detroit). With diligence and a steady hand, he has shown in his pictures not only the decay and ruins of the city (with well researched information for anyone that wants to explore), but also the beauty of the city. He makes both sides into works of art that everyone can appreciate. May his eye for the unconventional continue to capture what may not be around in the years to come."
June 24th, 2009
accurate bike says:
"Derek's work is essential, and he is an encyclopedic resource for all things Detroit. This photostream should be a part of the DPS curriculum."
May 19th, 2009
"Derek is capturing and preserving images of Detroit one building at a time. His dialog on them is very informative as to what they are or were in the city. If you are looking for information about Detroit and its buildings check out Derek's photo stream."
March 8th, 2009
"Detroit has history and it has a soul, Derek captures it all with his lens then provides the history behind the scene. Very cool. I figure it takes a musician to capture such a raw and wonderful place like Detroit. Sit back, click on slide show, and take a tour of a great town shot through a creative eye."
February 1st, 2009
"Derek has a way of taking the decay and darkness of a city and making it into beautiful photos. He preserves pieces of history that may not be around next year."
January 1st, 2008
- August 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer / Musician / Manager/ Film and Video Location Consultant