Density Design is a research framework and an experimental laboratory, born as a laboratory course in the final year of the Master Degree Course in Communication Design at the Politecnico di Milano.
Using complexity as a keyword to understand reality, combining it with a continuous research for information aesthetics and representation, DensityDesign explores the emergent relationships among communication design, information visualization and complex systems.
It moves in an emergent multidisciplinary field that could be called Space of Actions. Established in September 2004 DensityDesign is a platform for verifying the potential of communication artefacts in helping decision making processes and the Communication Design ability to facilitate dialogues within participatory actions.
The DensityDesign project is currently coordinated by Prof. Paolo Ciuccarelli (Politecnico di Milano - Department of Industrial Design, Arts, Communication and Fashion) and continuously developed trough the PhD research activity of Giorgio Caviglia, Michele Mauri and Azzurra Pini.
Four professors from different disciplines participate to the current edition (2011/2012) of the "DensityDesign" course within the Faculty of Design in Politecnico di Milano:
Donato Ricci (Post-Doc research fellow at Sciences Po)
Stefano Mandato (Graphic Designer and Design Strategist, from Total Tool);
Salvatore Zingale (Prof. in Semiotics, from Politecnico di Milano);
Tommaso Venturini (Research coordinator at the médialab of Sciences Po Paris).
Other people in the past editions contributed to the growth of the course:
Francesca Valsecchi (Communication and Service Design practitioner and researcher, from Tektao Urban Design);
Marco Fattore (Prof. in Statistics, from Università Bicocca di Milano);
Marco Maiocchi (Prof. in Networks, from Politecnico di Milano);
Alessandro Casinovi (Graphic Designer);
Federico Vidari (a co-founder of the DensityDesign framework, we hope to have him back soon!);
Simona Maschi (founder of the Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design);
Mauro Carichini (Graphic Designer, from Limbo);
Daniele Galiffa (Information Designer, from Mentegrafica);
Massimo Randone (Action Designer, from Connexine).
When acting within multi-organizational and multi-actorial contexts, where social interaction among stakeholders shows a highly complex behaviour, it is very important to build-up tools to share common perspectives and intention; these tools should take into account the conversational and dialogical nature of decision making processes.
In this framework we call these tools diagrams – maps, moodboard, storyboard, video scenarios: strategic (knowledge based) artefacts helping the decision makers to build-up a vision about:
(I) the elements of the (complex) system;
(II) the connections and the relationships among the elements;
(IV) the behaviour of the system;
(V) the future evolutions of the systems.
In the DensityDesign course, the students use these tools to represent and understand a complex system; then, they are asked to identify some possible evolutions of the system (throughout scenarios), and to design a communication strategy to "activate" the evolution.
The validation of the prior empirical finding of the laboratory course is based on:
* A on going Phd research on the role of diagrams in decision making process for design intervention in the field of mobility design;
* A blog that collect and organize et erogenous material about information visualization, complexity and design;
* A starting point for final thesis on these themes;
* A series of publishing initiative.
During the course we faced various (complex) systems:
* From the city (way-finding system and way-losing artefacts) to contemporary art (data and information management & event design);
* From the sports systems (in some way we have anticipated some of the Italian scandal about soccer) to ONG system (the relationship between found raising mechanism and the creation of a net of small humanitarian organizations).
info [at] densitydesign.org
Photos of densitydesign (1)
- The Best Infographics 1,855 photos, 246 members
- SML Viz 233 photos, 128 members
- Storytelling - (Illustrators, Movers, Shakers) 690 photos, 103 members
- Information Architects 907 photos, 334 members
- maps and charts 4,867 photos, 938 members
- Design Week Milan 5,595 photos, 401 members
- Milano Design Week 2,517 photos, 128 members
- We Love Infographics 1,075 photos, 435 members
- FlowingData 1,658 photos, 746 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,487 photos, 1,814 members
- Information Design Group 220 photos, 61 members
- InfoVis 4,028 photos, 819 members
- User Experience Sketches 833 photos, 1,017 members
- Innovation in Data Visualization 1,176 photos, 250 members
- Charts and Graphs 2,156 photos, 641 members
- Diagrams 2,485 photos, 625 members
- visual information 3,991 photos, 750 members
- MindMapperz 271 photos, 212 members
- Eye Magazine 640 photos, 759 members
- Marks and Meaning 637 photos, 112 members
- Cool Data Visualization Techniques - Information Visualization 4,167 photos, 1,563 members
- Analog Devices 734 photos, 235 members
- Communication Studies 491 photos, 141 members
- :::Diseñadores Graficos (Actores sociales y culturales)::: 2,821 photos, 815 members
- Info Graphics 9,873 photos, 4,134 members
- PICTOGRAMS 189 photos, 76 members
- neogeography 252 photos, 130 members
- Diagram Diaries 3,893 photos, 1,863 members
densitydesign doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Density Design
- June 2007
- Milano, Italy