About my photography:
I like to photograph all subjects, however, my interest and focus - pardon the pun - has moved toward more street and cultural subjects.
I'm interested in doing more journalistic photography for humanitarian causes. I went to India in November 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2016 to do volunteer documentary photography for NGOs that do a variety of humanitarian works in rural villages and cities. It was rewarding because I was able to find another use for my photography that helped these organizations.
A couple of my recent influences are the high-contrast B&W work of Ray Metzker and Fan Ho. My personal processing style reflects this with going for deeper shadows and blacks.
I agree with Ansel Adams who said that a good photograph is knowing where to stand, to which I add Dean's axioms:
- Be at the right place at the right time intentionally, or
- Be at the right place at the right time by accident.
Gear update: I traded in my beloved Fuji X100F for a second X-T2 body and a Fuji 23mm f1.4 lens. I like the EVF and overall flexibility of the ILC body. I primarily use primes: 23mm f1/4 and 56mm f1.2 are on my cameras all of the time. I also have a 14mm f2.8; a Mikaton 35mm f0.95 and the Fuji kit zooms.
Photos of Dean Forbes (5)
- Your Best Shot 2017 2,522 photos, 3,613 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,196 photos, 79,802 members
- Fuji X100 Enthusiasts 262,228 photos, 10,730 members
- Finepix X100 and X100s 165,846 photos, 4,912 members
- Behind Glass 987 photos, 400 members
- Fujinon XF23mm F1.4 12,447 photos, 1,746 members
- Rural Decay 240,542 photos, 46,372 members
- Street Photography Worldwide 150,432 photos, 3,261 members
- World Street Photography! Full Color and Monochrome. 249,746 photos, 4,813 members
- StreetPhoto 1,359,060 photos, 30,337 members
- World of B&W + Sepia & other monochrome 897,659 photos, 25,862 members
- Streetshots (people in the street) 786,858 photos, 18,282 members
- Depth of Field 194,429 photos, 10,421 members
- Mikaton SpeedMaster f0.95 91 photos, 21 members
- I Sleep With My Camera! classic street photography 3,513 photos, 347 members
- Still**Life - Street Photography 188,848 photos, 3,338 members
- Image Gallery / B&W !!! 456,416 photos, 12,050 members
- Fuji XF 50mm F2.0 1,142 photos, 480 members
- Fujifilm X100F 4,252 photos, 289 members
- White/Black 1,339,153 photos, 53,316 members
- Black and White 6,832,763 photos, 358,024 members
- Fujifilm X-T2 Users 37,527 photos, 2,159 members
- EYE-Photo Magazine Street Photography 21,057 photos, 551 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 622,840 photos, 45,381 members
- Oh the Humanity 18,993 photos, 2,008 members
- India Images 459,314 photos, 19,374 members
- Fujinon XF14mm F2.8 12,176 photos, 1,708 members
- Photo Black and white 1P/1C 30,244 photos, 1,077 members
- B&W looks best. (Monochrome only) 367,136 photos, 7,256 members
- Fuji XF 56mm 1.2 R 7,726 photos, 1,020 members
- All Street Photography 1,128,247 photos, 19,290 members
- Street Life 603,397 photos, 12,544 members
- Street Photography 3,261 photos, 44,968 members
- Street Composition (Fine Art Street Photography) 302,492 photos, 9,063 members
- Street radical 115,837 photos, 4,664 members
- The Essence of Street Photography (TESP) 1,124 photos, 3,144 members
- Street Photography Magazine 565,097 photos, 20,586 members
- The world is a street 741 photos, 1,468 members
- BEST in B&W photography 461,894 photos, 16,177 members
- MONOCHROME AWARD - (p1~a2)Viva Manu M.! 419,934 photos, 16,227 members
- A Better B&W Group 684,536 photos, 14,808 members
- ! B&W - The Art of Photography (P1 C1 If You Wish To) NO SEPIA 438,497 photos, 16,435 members
- B+W 956,162 photos, 27,265 members
- B&W 5,246,388 photos, 228,511 members
- Fuji X100 B&W 39,440 photos, 1,898 members
- Fuji X100 188,649 photos, 10,217 members
- Fujinon XF56mm F1.2 19,038 photos, 3,121 members
- Fuji X Forum Official Flickr Group 76,729 photos, 1,179 members
- Fuji X100 Club - for photo enthusiasts 72,332 photos, 2,662 members
- FUJI X-T2 • X-T1 • X-Pro2 • X-Pro1 カメラマン 115,691 photos, 3,473 members
"What I love about Dean's photos is not only his eye for clarity and detail, but his ability to elicit a positive response from just about every subject he photographs. His photos are individualistic and honest as he is himself.
I'm so glad Dean is a member of the FLICKR community, and I take personal delight in the positive feedback his photographs have elicited. It's all rather serendipitious for me, as I had the pleasure of making Dean's acquaintance on the Yahoo games server several months ago, whereby we struck up an email correspondance, and I subsequently invited him to take a look at the FLICKR site.
And the rest is history, as the saying goes :-)"
October 10th, 2009
Ed Karjala says:
"I am writing this on the occasion of Dean's 3 year "flickrversary". Dean is extremely talented as a photographer and also as a human being as is obvious while browsing his amazing photostream, enjoying the images and reading the many accolades. He has been an inspiring and encouraging presence on flickr from my earliest days here and I look forward to enjoying his work for many years to come!"
August 17th, 2008
"There's a lot of testimonials on this page, and that tells you something about a Flickr photographer.
To save you reading them all, here's a summary:
Go and look at his pictures. Now.
And pray he makes you a contact.
If either of those things happens, your Flickr experience will be immeasurably brighter....."
March 8th, 2008
Twinkling Jade says:
"Dean is one of first few friends I've made on Flickr. He is not only a great photographer and artist with true talent but also a man with humble spirit. I appreciate his way of sharing his knowledge with us and his kind comments. Thank you Dean, you're a true inspiration!"
August 19th, 2007
Martin Gommel says:
"Well, Dean a very kind person who has understood the rules of photography more than many others, because he knows how to use and how to break them. Dean has an photographic eye and he always makes some shot that I can*t help but like it.
Dean, it is very good to know you !"
July 9th, 2007
Steve took it says:
"Dean produces some of my favorite photographs on flickr, as well as some of my favorite comments! His great eye and great sense of humor are a terriffic combination. His eye for light and shadow and composition is just amazing. Thanks for the art and the smiles!"
July 1st, 2007
Robert Rountree says:
"Dean's eyes are lenses, that comb his world, picking out and aligning objects that fall together into frames from his heart..... it's one thing to want to photograph for fun... it's another when passion always drives you to express your visions."
May 21st, 2007
"it is from one year that I am frequently active on flickr, and without to remove merits to the other members, I must recognize in Dean a quality that I have seen in little others photographers who expose here, and these others naturally they are its straits contacts (J fobes and Fogatee etc) .
I think is one of the best TRUE photographers who do not use heavy adulterate or make up, leaving to see professionality and sensibility that distinguishes one novice from a professional, perhaps to april I have them possibility to know it of person in Roma !!
(and although all the defects of flickr thank also they)
"...excuse for ugly English, use the translator online...""
March 30th, 2007
"Dean Forbes is one of my friend that he is Great person so friendly,
also very encouraging and positive of others.
I look forward to reading his comments."
and he also has awesome photo stream.
I am happy to be her friend too..
Keep up the fabulous work
April 4th, 2007
jaki good miller says:
"Dean Forbes is a gifted photographer. He is one of my very favorite on flickr! Within miles of his home, he captures the most exquisite images. I thoroughly enjoy all his stuff, but am especially delighted by his "morning light" set. His passion for photography shines through his wonderful images. I check out his photosream daily and am never disappointed! His keen eye, technical skill, and creativity inspire me!
Besides being one of my flickr heroes, Dean has also become one of my favorite flickr friends. His comments are refreshingly honest and witty. I so appreciate his affirmation and humor.
I am already looking forward to what Dean will post in 2007!"
January 1st, 2007
Jeff Clow says:
"I've had the privilege to get to know Dean through his masterful photography and his tireless devotion to this magical site. One look at his photostream will tell you about the man's unique abilities as a photographer - he is truly gifted behind the lens.
But unless you are a Flickr fan, you might not know that this caring person spends countless hours encouraging others by his kind visits and positive comments to their photostreams.
Flickr is a better place because of Dean Forbes and we're very fortunate to have him as a leader within the Flickr community..."
October 19th, 2006
"I have the utmost respect for Dean and his work. His black and white images are among the best I've seen ANYWHERE. He's one of the photographers who make me long to go where many of his pictures are taken. He has a gift for capturing the spirit and beauty of everything around him.
I feel honored to have him as a contact of flickr, and always love to see his new stuff! It's also quite a delight to receive comments from him."
October 2nd, 2006
"Dean is really a wonderful person and a great photographer!!!
Not only that his comments are really hilarious, helpful or encouraging, he also shares his great experience and technical skills in photography through his helpfull explanations on his shots. All his photos have (no matter what subject) this wonderful and unique Dean Forbes-style. I learned really a lot in photography just by watching his work.
And: If I had to choose a favourite of the favourites, his shot "morning: calm" would be definitly the winner. I have never seen a photo that is so perfect to me!
I am really glad that I met him here and am able to see his work, show him mine, can get his feedback, and most of all that I can call him a friend!"
August 29th, 2006
Kris Kros says:
"I don't know any other Deans on flickr but Dean Forbes.
He is definitely a Dean of flickr college and a Forbes Top artist on flickr. Need I say more?
He finds time to visit his countless horde of supporters and spend time to add comments. I for one love to read whatever Dean has to say on my photos. I feel elated when he says I have done well. I definitely will love him to tell me if my picture is not at par with the level of his satisfaction too.
To summarize it, he is Dean Forbes, the man to watch always on flickr. Proud to be your friend, Dean."
August 4th, 2006
Isa Farnik says:
"Dean Forbes is clearly a master of the sky and water as he captures them through an objective eye and a powerful lens. He continues to produce high quality work and clearly displays a dedication to a style which suites him. A recomended contact for anyone wishing to see his world through his lens."
July 23rd, 2006
Lida Rose says:
"Dean has three abilities:
A good eye for composition.
These three things make for a superb photographer. That is what Dean is. He never fails to amaze me. Thanks Dean, for the daily inspiration, and also thanks so much for the kind and helpful comments you leave for others."
June 7th, 2006
"Dean's photos invite the viewer to consider the beauty that exists around us all the time. Besides creating art, he also has a generous heart and gives freely of his time and consideration to other photographers on Flickr."
January 9th, 2006
"It's hard to imagine that Dean's photos can get any better now that he's got his new camera, but they already seem to be improving! How can that be? Thank you, Dean, for sharing your beautiful images with us, and for being such a fine commenter on others' shots. We know we've done well when you pat us on the back."
December 26th, 2005
"Dean Forbes was making wonderful photographs BEFORE he got some decent equipment. His artistic eye, natural sense of composition, and keen sense of finding things others might overlook make his photos special.
I love his comments on my photos, as always indicate that he has really LOOKED and appreciated what I have done. His comments are funny, helpful, and encouraging. He is an inspiration, a source of ideas, and encouragement. All in one tidy package of skill and talent."
December 26th, 2005
"I can recalled that Dean is the earlier contact's I made on www.flickr.com
Since I move to this counrty, I always like to visit Washington State. Now, I can visit without living my home office.
Thanks is due to Dean for capturing all the superb images of WA & the natures.
All his images are of invalueable studies for those who visit here.
Your are a great friend on the net!!"
December 17th, 2005
pearl grace says:
"Dean = WOW! WOW! WOW!
Behind the lens of Dean's camera (his new Nikon!) is an extraordinary photographer. Dean captures the most spectacular, amazing, astounding, brilliant photos.
Browse through his photostream and you'll find yourself exclaiming with wonder and delight as each and every thumbnail loads.
I applaud Dean's creative talent and I appreciate his integrity, his kind spirit and his clever wit.
Dean, you're the tops!"
December 3rd, 2005
"You've come to the right place to see some of the most colorful photos on Flickr. And if you missed today's sunrise or sunset, don't worry, Dean's got it covered!
P.S. Of course, I'm impartial between his color and b&w shots :)"
November 16th, 2005
jon fobes says:
"Besides being a fine photographer -- creative and technically proficient -- Dean is clever and has a great sense of fun in his pictures AND his comments, which are frequent and also supportive. Dean encouraged me to try black-and-white photos, which has opened a new area for me. Dean, you're super; keep taking great photos!"
November 6th, 2005
"If Dean's heart had an aperture, it'd be f1. I was always sceptical about 'joining' Flickr because I worried it would just be another popularity contest. Users like Dean totally relieved me of that fear. None of this is to say I would look at his pictures if they sucked, of course. Thankfully, they don't."
October 14th, 2005
- April 2005
- I am:
- media relations
- diforbes [at] gmail.com