San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- Automotive Film Photography 344 photos, 29 members
- Der blinde Metzger 2,878 photos, 239 members
- Classic Volvo Cars 523 photos, 18 members
- Through the Medium 6,011 photos, 148 members
- VW Transporters on film 48 photos, 3 members
- manhole covers as a creative means 1,523 photos, 77 members
- Doors and Entrances 4,215 photos, 145 members
- wo deutschland am schönsten ist 6,573 photos, 166 members
- Postcards from the hedge 398 photos, 78 members
- chaszczyzm 5,472 photos, 393 members
- Deutsche Gastronomie 291 photos, 20 members
- Democratic Forest 95,441 photos, 1,617 members
- Auto Habitat 1,905 photos, 94 members
- Fermé - Closed 344 photos, 14 members
- Berlin Banal 1,394 photos, 55 members
- buxus, conifers and hedges - buxus, koniferen und hecken 773 photos, 89 members
- IKONA mag 1,487 photos, 73 members
- VW Bulli 232 photos, 43 members
- EXPOSED SILVER 20,514 photos, 532 members
- Gardinenpracht 915 photos, 66 members
- Ruhender Verkehr 3,878 photos, 128 members
- VW Typ2 T3 Transporter 1,675 photos, 313 members
- Authors of Lumaho Magazin 11,831 photos, 29 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,995 photos, 996 members
- Ice-cream Cone Figures 487 photos, 42 members
- The backside of signs 1,757 photos, 128 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,530 photos, 242 members
- Falconography & Cometology 1,253 photos, 42 members
- Gasometers 1,677 photos, 345 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 1,863 photos, 362 members
- Manual on Digital 15,676 photos, 827 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME 179 photos, 181 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......With Mightyhorse.... 132 photos, 55 members
- Ladder to the Stars 18,406 photos, 2,284 members
- Shooting Film 323,476 photos, 6,857 members
- Poodle Trees 137 photos, 38 members
- my eyes won't shut 2,783 photos, 760 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 117,138 photos, 3,645 members
- Parkology 6,417 photos, 245 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 15,703 photos, 133 members
- keys to the whip 34 photos, 11 members
- Car(s) Eater 10,168 photos, 303 members
- @AubadeMagazine 21,326 photos, 486 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 69,751 photos, 5,935 members
- New Topographics 111,136 photos, 2,230 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 159 photos, 7 members
- the lonely caravan 362 photos, 24 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 60,536 photos, 1,945 members
- Only in California 1,203 photos, 281 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 7,314 photos, 346 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
November 30th, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
July 21st, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
December 22nd, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
December 11th, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
July 29th, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
June 19th, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
October 22nd, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
March 14th, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
June 8th, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour