San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- buxus, conifers and hedges - buxus, koniferen und hecken 358 photos, 75 members
- IKONA mag 210 photos, 15 members
- VW Bulli 40 photos, 8 members
- EXPOSED SILVER 6,537 photos, 322 members
- Gardinenpracht 365 photos, 43 members
- Ruhender Verkehr 2,821 photos, 117 members
- VW Typ2 T3 Transporter 1,252 photos, 245 members
- Authors of Lumaho Magazin 2,626 photos, 25 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,585 photos, 719 members
- Ice-cream Cone Figures 375 photos, 35 members
- Die Rückseite / backside 491 photos, 38 members
- Flickr Friday 17,563 photos, 26,532 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,243 photos, 235 members
- Falconography & Cometology 614 photos, 25 members
- Gasometers 1,409 photos, 310 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 1,157 photos, 288 members
- Manual on Digital 3,318 photos, 346 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME 212 photos, 186 members
- Rückenfigur 9,442 photos, 1,220 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......With Mightyhorse.... 115 photos, 53 members
- Ladder to the Stars 19,265 photos, 2,304 members
- Shooting Film 140,481 photos, 4,403 members
- Poodle Trees 141 photos, 39 members
- my eyes won't shut 2,983 photos, 771 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 68,147 photos, 2,150 members
- Parkology 5,879 photos, 223 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 14,525 photos, 133 members
- keys to the whip 36 photos, 12 members
- Car(s) Eater 6,348 photos, 216 members
- AUBADE Magazine 14,741 photos, 389 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 48,111 photos, 4,976 members
- Fraction Magazine 27,272 photos, 2,873 members
- New Topographics 69,891 photos, 1,755 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 147 photos, 8 members
- the lonely caravan 378 photos, 24 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 34,590 photos, 1,483 members
- Only in California 1,243 photos, 278 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 6,024 photos, 324 members
- Fake DS 67 photos, 11 members
- db|db project 6 photos, 11 members
- BIT BY ZEUS 8,234 photos, 273 members
- Sightglass Coffee 336 photos, 40 members
- Postcards from America 13,810 photos, 780 members
- American Typologies 30,610 photos, 678 members
- Focal Press Photography 6,463 photos, 344 members
- American Elegy 23,618 photos, 558 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,317 photos, 104 members
- The Social Landscape 29,440 photos, 825 members
- Der T3 in seinem natuerlichen Umfeld 50 photos, 13 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,127 photos, 409 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
November 30th, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
July 21st, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
December 22nd, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
December 11th, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
July 29th, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
June 19th, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
October 22nd, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
March 14th, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
June 8th, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour