San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- Fermé - Closed 186 photos, 9 members
- Berlin Banal 291 photos, 25 members
- buxus, conifers and hedges - buxus, koniferen und hecken 442 photos, 80 members
- IKONA mag 581 photos, 33 members
- VW Bulli 66 photos, 14 members
- EXPOSED SILVER 9,302 photos, 374 members
- Gardinenpracht 491 photos, 50 members
- Ruhender Verkehr 2,945 photos, 117 members
- VW Typ2 T3 Transporter 1,300 photos, 261 members
- Authors of Lumaho Magazin 3,711 photos, 28 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,793 photos, 824 members
- Ice-cream Cone Figures 400 photos, 39 members
- The backside of signs 619 photos, 49 members
- Flickr Friday 19,733 photos, 29,751 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,425 photos, 242 members
- Falconography & Cometology 700 photos, 30 members
- Gasometers 1,424 photos, 315 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 1,311 photos, 298 members
- Manual on Digital 4,587 photos, 397 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME 209 photos, 184 members
- Rückenfigur 9,487 photos, 1,228 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......With Mightyhorse.... 118 photos, 56 members
- Ladder to the Stars 19,117 photos, 2,310 members
- Shooting Film 167,388 photos, 4,906 members
- Poodle Trees 142 photos, 39 members
- my eyes won't shut 2,964 photos, 770 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 76,408 photos, 2,478 members
- Parkology 5,988 photos, 225 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 14,839 photos, 132 members
- keys to the whip 36 photos, 12 members
- Car(s) Eater 7,029 photos, 235 members
- AUBADE Magazine 15,631 photos, 399 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 51,944 photos, 5,105 members
- Fraction Magazine 26,747 photos, 2,876 members
- New Topographics 75,444 photos, 1,822 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 147 photos, 8 members
- the lonely caravan 372 photos, 24 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 38,847 photos, 1,566 members
- Only in California 1,243 photos, 280 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 5,964 photos, 331 members
- Fake DS 69 photos, 11 members
- db|db project 6 photos, 11 members
- BIT BY ZEUS 8,405 photos, 275 members
- Sightglass Coffee 336 photos, 41 members
- Postcards from America 14,035 photos, 786 members
- American Typologies 31,956 photos, 692 members
- Focal Press Photography 6,720 photos, 345 members
- American Elegy 23,598 photos, 559 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,480 photos, 105 members
- The Social Landscape 29,738 photos, 860 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
November 30th, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
July 21st, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
December 22nd, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
December 11th, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
July 29th, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
June 19th, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
October 22nd, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
March 14th, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
June 8th, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour