San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- Flickr Friday 8,705 photos, 13,403 members
- Falconography & Cometology 169 photos, 15 members
- Gasometers 1,295 photos, 281 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 658 photos, 238 members
- Manual on Digital 267 photos, 111 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME #1 50 photos, 106 members
- Rückenfigur 9,098 photos, 1,221 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......With Disposable Photography 70 photos, 52 members
- Ladder to the Stars 20,173 photos, 2,271 members
- Shooting Film 50,643 photos, 2,139 members
- Poodle Trees 133 photos, 37 members
- my eyes won't shut 3,161 photos, 732 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 42,486 photos, 1,072 members
- Parkology 4,227 photos, 179 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 13,391 photos, 120 members
- keys to the whip 38 photos, 11 members
- Car(s) Eater 3,808 photos, 146 members
- ISSUE 9 NOW ON SALE - http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/71868 12,991 photos, 327 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 32,278 photos, 4,299 members
- Fraction Magazine 29,439 photos, 2,746 members
- New Topographics 55,605 photos, 1,439 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 92 photos, 9 members
- the lonely caravan 365 photos, 25 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 19,872 photos, 976 members
- Only in California 1,311 photos, 269 members
- Laundromat Chairs 147 photos, 69 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 3,691 photos, 282 members
- Fake DS 66 photos, 9 members
- db|db project 2 photos, 11 members
- BIT BY ZEUS 7,469 photos, 258 members
- Sightglass Coffee 335 photos, 38 members
- Postcards from America 13,442 photos, 783 members
- American Typologies 23,901 photos, 561 members
- PhotoDonuts 58,689 photos, 3,058 members
- Focal Press Photography 5,166 photos, 329 members
- American Elegy 20,667 photos, 478 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 2,631 photos, 96 members
- The Social Landscape 27,981 photos, 691 members
- Der T3 in seinem natuerlichen Umfeld 40 photos, 8 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,221 photos, 382 members
- The Evocative Object World 7,042 photos, 157 members
- We have a plan 3,341 photos, 641 members
- Urban Tristesse 5,214 photos, 275 members
- Analog VW Aircooled 2,675 photos, 163 members
- This city called Earth 4,838 photos, 633 members
- The Artists Coalition 380 photos, 133 members
- The Voice of Things 277 photos, 100 members
- http://troppotardi.com 28,131 photos, 864 members
- The not so ordinary car 740 photos, 38 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 46,607 photos, 1,857 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
30th November, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
21st July, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
22nd December, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
11th December, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
29th July, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
19th June, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
22nd October, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
14th March, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
8th June, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour