San Francisco-based photographer. Mostly film, though digital is in the mix, too.
I'm a friendly person. I value comments, but loath cut and paste awards or cut and paste comments. Please refrain from leaving any "awards", especially if they are of the twinkling variety. If your "comment" is basically a cut and paste ad for your photostream e.g. "View my most interesting photos on flickriver", I'll probably block you.
Prints are available, as are licenses, just ask me.
going nowhere By Christopher Hall Book Preview
Home is where ... By Christopher Hall Book Preview
A brief article on aesthetic interlude
Interview on American Elegy
Interview on Kwerfeldein.de (Sorry, in German only, but try Google translate).
A short article and some photos on ignant
All photos are my property, all rights are reserved. Please respect my rights and obtain permission prior to any use.
- wo deutschland am schönsten ist 5,348 photos, 170 members
- Postcards from the hedge 358 photos, 75 members
- chaszczyzm 3,130 photos, 263 members
- 1 car (4301) 4,361 photos, 164 members
- Deutsche Gastronomie 79 photos, 14 members
- Democratic Forest 80,696 photos, 1,426 members
- Auto Habitat 1,130 photos, 65 members
- Fermé - Closed 267 photos, 13 members
- Berlin Banal 680 photos, 39 members
- buxus, conifers and hedges - buxus, koniferen und hecken 567 photos, 84 members
- IKONA mag 1,617 photos, 71 members
- VW Bulli 124 photos, 28 members
- EXPOSED SILVER 15,445 photos, 458 members
- Gardinenpracht 669 photos, 59 members
- Ruhender Verkehr 3,200 photos, 124 members
- VW Typ2 T3 Transporter 1,460 photos, 282 members
- Authors of Lumaho Magazin 6,739 photos, 29 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 2,048 photos, 944 members
- Ice-cream Cone Figures 449 photos, 42 members
- The backside of signs 969 photos, 76 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,686 photos, 246 members
- Falconography & Cometology 876 photos, 37 members
- Gasometers 1,514 photos, 332 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 1,562 photos, 316 members
- Manual on Digital 8,239 photos, 583 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME 205 photos, 185 members
- Rückenfigur 9,854 photos, 1,233 members
- A Ricoh's Adventure.......With Mightyhorse.... 145 photos, 54 members
- Ladder to the Stars 18,824 photos, 2,292 members
- Shooting Film 239,285 photos, 5,938 members
- Poodle Trees 143 photos, 38 members
- my eyes won't shut 2,902 photos, 763 members
- Urban Photo Publishing 95,057 photos, 3,050 members
- Parkology 6,167 photos, 240 members
- NOTICEABLE AND UNCOMMON PLACES 14,769 photos, 130 members
- keys to the whip 34 photos, 12 members
- Car(s) Eater 8,846 photos, 284 members
- AUBADE Magazine 17,836 photos, 447 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 59,816 photos, 5,448 members
- Fraction Magazine 25,934 photos, 2,922 members
- New Topographics 90,819 photos, 1,989 members
- FRAGILE ORDER 147 photos, 8 members
- the lonely caravan 371 photos, 25 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 50,024 photos, 1,787 members
- Only in California 1,207 photos, 283 members
- PiY Publish it yourself ! 7,650 photos, 344 members
- Fake DS 71 photos, 11 members
- db|db project 6 photos, 11 members
- BIT BY ZEUS 8,880 photos, 273 members
- Sightglass Coffee 336 photos, 40 members
"TLR master and all around nice guy, but not in the finishing last kind of way. His images are well balanced and stylistic as all hell. Love it!"
November 30th, 2010
"Christopher was among the first photographers I discovered on Flickr, long before I became a member myself. To me, photography is a study of context, in both the exclusion and inclusion. Viewing Christopher’s photos is a master class in this study: Cars and objects found “as is”, in their “natural” environments, consequently telling stories about us as people. Even though he is nostalgic by nature, he avoids the pitfall of creating dated images. By brilliantly capturing the personality and character of his well used and often well loved subjects, his photographs are perfect and current representations of nostalgia itself—no small feat. I know from experience."
July 21st, 2010
m. wriston says:
"To look through Christopher's photostream is to step out of time. The world through his lens is a timeless place, stuck in a limbo place where 1962 was yesterday and everyone on the block drives a Nova. His photos document remnants of the world as it was existing (typically in various states of disrepair) in the world as it is. Always amazing stuff here."
December 22nd, 2009
Cod Magazine says:
"A world unto itself formatted by a striking perspective strained through an immaculate eye. You'd never know it from the shots, but Christopher's actually seven feet tall. Now that's creativity."
December 11th, 2009
"Christopher deserves praise for his automobile shots alone. I just now looked through a large number of them and they really shine. I love his ability to find cars in surroundings that make them that much more interesting. His car shots are more like portraits really.
Beyond this, Christopher is just an all around amazing photographer. It's great to see both his recent work and stuff from decades ago. I really appreciate his explorations that uncover beautiful, interesting and bizarre sites in the urban/suburban world. It's just awesome stuff!"
July 29th, 2009
Leah Reich says:
"Contrary to popular belief, I knew Christopher long before flickr. Before flickr even existed, if you can imagine such a thing. But in those prehistoric days, I may have known him, but I did not know he was a brilliant genius artist photographer person. That part smacked me upside the head some time later.
That right there, that's the essence of Mr. Hall. The quiet, the subdued, the warmth, the meticulousness, the sardonic notes. They all have you humming along, distracted. And then splat: genius all over your face."
June 19th, 2009
"Christopher don't need no stinkin' testimonial!!!"
October 22nd, 2008
"never met the man in real life, but the dude never ceases to amaze me. his pix are visual crack, has turned my my eyes into addicts. gotta look at the flickr every day. makes me happy. makes me see things anew. sometimes now, as i stand on a corner and spy a lovely confluence of architecture and sky, of graffiti and decay, i laugh - thinking,
"oh, this is a picture by dead slow! i bet he will take it, sometime, someday.""
March 14th, 2007
"Met him in my early flickr beginning days.
Since then never lost the fascination to stroll through his stream.
His own point of view with his sight for the big AND the very tiny things, creates a very special portrait of a special city, and always provoke more appetite, to see that city one day again, with a complete different (tourist)view, due to him.
One of many highlights, is his “Morning Coffee set", which is simply priceless.
Thanks, Christopher !!"
June 8th, 2006
- Christopher Hall
- August 2005
- Suburbia, So Cal
- San Francisco, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Office Drudge
- Fromage du Jour