Canadian born and partly raised... (It's a long story) ... But ... floated down the Yukon River for 3 months in my younger days and got trapped in Alaska for 25 yrs. Mostly in a remote Yupik Eskimo village, 600 miles from the nearest road. Spent the last few winters travelling in SE Asia, but missed the Northern Lights and am now back in the Yukon Borders irritate me ... I prefer to think of myself as "Civis Mundanus" ... a citizen of this beautiful WORLD.
I love to do amateur astronomy with my 5 inch refractor, read voraciously (history, science, Latin & Greek Classics) and play with all my ancient film cameras, especially in the dark of night.
I also love scouring the mountains of Alaska, the Yukon and Northwest Territories for the fossil remnants of ancient worlds ...
I really don't care for contests, prizes, etc.... am kind of turned off by all that ..... What I love about Flickr is the marvel of being able to share my love of nature with people all around the world....... As well as to see nature through their eyes..... As the last great American President , Thomas Jefferson,once said ...." There is not so much as a blade of grass, anywhere in Nature, that does not interest me"
In doing photography, I use a variety of interesting old film cameras and , most recently, a Panasonic Lumix G-1digital SLR.
While I'm in awe of the art created by photographers using Photoshop, etc. I don't really think of what I do as art ...more like a loving chronicling of Nature, to which I like to maintain a certain fidelity. I like my images to be as true as possible to how they were experienced, to which end i will occasionally mess with the brightness and contrast in Windows Photo Gallery, , but that's about it.
I'm happy to share ... Currently, anybody can use my images for anything they want*.
My gratitude goes out to all who share my impressions of nature here..... I enjoy comments largely 'cause they take me to YOUR sites, where I am constantly amazed and inspired.
My personal Email is firstname.lastname@example.org
**** APOLOGIES to my viewers : Most of my Aurora Photos were taken on film ... I now realize that my early scans of the negatives, which I used in posting here, were of absolutely awful, grainy quality ... I've since learned how to do much better scans and hope, someday, to find the time to replace the poor scans ..
* if using a photo for public display or commercial use, pls. request permission and provide a credit/attribution
Photos of David Cartier (3)
- Comet PAN-STARRS 462 photos, 167 members
- Autumn Colors & Photos 13,536 photos, 921 members
- autumn colors / Herbstfarben 14,570 photos, 1,816 members
- Autumn Wonders 7,030 photos, 689 members
- Autumn/Fall/秋天 20,003 photos, 1,280 members
- All things Autumn 37,192 photos, 2,205 members
- AUTUMN*FALL P1/A5 ***CONTEST for every member 129,418 photos, 17,393 members
- Fall Color in the American West 1,165 photos, 131 members
- Autumn / Fall Colors and Themes 98,435 photos, 8,252 members
- Fall Colors from Around the World 27,733 photos, 2,076 members
- YUKON PHOTOGRAPHY:: IMAGE QUEST 107 photos, 19 members
- The Yukon Collection 279 photos, 34 members
- Património Geológico e Mineiro 9,350 photos, 576 members
- Dark season of the north / Mørketid 1,334 photos, 115 members
- Canada's Northern Lights 232 photos, 43 members
- Our Planet at Night 9,288 photos, 1,066 members
- Soviet Glass 2,679 photos, 245 members
- Kiev 19 1,176 photos, 132 members
- Soviet and Russian Film Cameras 8,069 photos, 554 members
- Soviet Lens Club 11,532 photos, 765 members
- Made in Soviet Union 15,307 photos, 1,071 members
- Commie Cameras 15,472 photos, 668 members
- Mir - Russian Lenses 2,497 photos, 350 members
- Russian Camera and Lens Lovers 4,389 photos, 202 members
- Russian Lens On DSLR 6,462 photos, 409 members
- Russian Lens World 32,384 photos, 3,267 members
- Alaska The 49th State 11,271 photos, 453 members
- Alaska 4,985 photos, 171 members
- Anchorage, Alaska 9,690 photos, 625 members
- Travel Yukon 1,028 photos, 59 members
- Anything Orion 1,113 photos, 255 members
- trees with backlight 7,331 photos, 1,076 members
- Lonely Tree 45,842 photos, 9,528 members
- from BELOW - straight up 7,926 photos, 1,653 members
- Natural World. (P1/C2) 41,375 photos, 1,378 members
- BBC Sky at Night and Stargazing Live 91,156 photos, 9,761 members
- Mirando el Cielo/Look the Sky 23,107 photos, 1,157 members
- Trees, Treetops and Sky 16,329 photos, 1,101 members
- SKY Kingdom of ZEUS 1,854 photos, 97 members
- Cloud & Sky Fire 12,580 photos, 1,407 members
- 天空的影像-belief in the sky 24,232 photos, 1,452 members
- Absolut Sky 39,031 photos, 2,373 members
- Sky Above 52,794 photos, 3,967 members
- Sky Chasers 116,267 photos, 8,869 members
- Sky As A Canvas ~ ~ ~ 111,675 photos, 8,947 members
- Sky glory 87,992 photos, 7,598 members
- Skies of Blue 54,705 photos, 5,041 members
- Grain is Good 397,968 photos, 15,193 members
- International Commie Camera Days 2015 5,313 photos, 642 members
- Amazing Image: Sky 66 photos, 35 members
"I'm humbled by David's photos. They show a magnificence of wildlife and the land seen by very few people. His pictures show the power of our planet and remind us how fortunate we are to share this fragile and powerful planet with the land and animals who can teach us so much. Wonderful and caring pictures, David - Please keep sharing your pictures which remind us of how lucky we are to live on this earth. Thanks so much!"
April 27th, 2010
<only me> says:
"David is someome you just keep coming back to, he is an inspiration in his admiration of the beauty that nature offers us so freely and in his ability to allow us to see through his eyes upon this gorgeous world.
He has talent oozing out from his pages that wrap you up and take you on a magical northern journey.
Get yourself a good drink before you start going through his sets because you will be in such wonderment that other arrangements you may have will be superflous and time will slip by unoticed.
Did I mention he takes some good shots? :)
A humble learned man, David is always a joy to read and view."
September 8th, 2008
"David's collection of photos is filled with a uniqueness all his own! It is a thrill for me (a suburbian gal) to be able to view photos of such incredible quality of subjects I don't see. His Northern Lights collection views like a dream.........in a far off land. His love of nature and all of our surroundings shines through in every photo. David's guts and determination have allowed him the access to take photos of "wild creatures" at very close range. We are able to see through his lens a world that we would normally not see. One look at his stream will keep you coming back, time and time again."
July 20th, 2008
Luberon (sb) says:
"Lorsque j'ai découvert les photos de David, j'ai été impressionnée par les grizzlis et autres énormes bêtes des forêts de l'Alaska qui ne semblaient pas l'effrayer
et puis au fil du temps, j'ai découvert une grande âme, celle d'un poète, d'un ami sincère de la Nature...peut-être d' un Shamane
C'est toujours un immense plaisir pour moi de partager sur Flickr avec David, que je considère comme un Ami
When I discovered David's photos , I was impressed by the grizzlis and other large animals of the forests of Alaska. He didn 't seem to be afraid of them. Then I discovered that he had a poet's soul, he truly loves Nature, and maybe he is a kind of Shaman
It is always for me a great pleasure to share with David on Flickr, I consider him as a friend"
April 20th, 2008
VJ Spectra says:
"Davids collection of images is stunning - he has witnessed first hand some of the most amazing spectacles mother nature has to offer. It is obvious he is a man of great intellect and experience. I am inspired by his visions and captivated by a beauty very few people get to see up close. It is indeed a privelege to share a window into his world."
March 17th, 2008
"David's work is awesome. Take some time to go through his stream and get a good feel for life in the north."
January 26th, 2008
"cant get over how good his night pictures are.. I do what I can as far as that goes, but shit.. he's on point.. best wishes always+"
October 5th, 2007
asis k. chatt says:
"It is a great honor for me to write a testimonial for Mr. David Cartier.
His photographs emit a strong flavor of Nature. Vivid & beautiful, the photos are a joy to view. I think he is unparalleled in shooting Rainbows! I sincerely wish him a great future in all spheres of life."
June 22nd, 2007
- David Cartier, Sr.
- December 2006
- Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Unemployed Bum