Canadian born and partly raised... (It's a long story) ... But ... floated down the Yukon River for 3 months in my younger days and got trapped in Alaska for 25 yrs. Mostly in a remote Yupik Eskimo village, 600 miles from the nearest road. Spent the last few winters travelling in SE Asia, but missed the Northern Lights and am now back in the Yukon Borders irritate me ... I prefer to think of myself as "Civis Mundanus" ... a citizen of this beautiful WORLD.
I love to do amateur astronomy with my 5 inch refractor, read voraciously (history, science, Latin & Greek Classics) and play with all my ancient film cameras, especially in the dark of night.
I also love scouring the mountains of Alaska, the Yukon and Northwest Territories for the fossil remnants of ancient worlds ...
I really don't care for contests, prizes, etc.... am kind of turned off by all that ..... What I love about Flickr is the marvel of being able to share my love of nature with people all around the world....... As well as to see nature through their eyes..... As the last great American President , Thomas Jefferson,once said ...." There is not so much as a blade of grass, anywhere in Nature, that does not interest me"
In doing photography, I use a variety of interesting old film cameras and , most recently, a Panasonic Lumix G-1digital SLR.
While I'm in awe of the art created by photographers using Photoshop, etc. I don't really think of what I do as art ...more like a loving chronicling of Nature, to which I like to maintain a certain fidelity. I like my images to be as true as possible to how they were experienced, to which end i will occasionally mess with the brightness and contrast in Windows Photo Gallery, , but that's about it.
I'm happy to share ... Currently, anybody can use my images for anything they want*.
My gratitude goes out to all who share my impressions of nature here..... I enjoy comments largely 'cause they take me to YOUR sites, where I am constantly amazed and inspired.
My personal Email is email@example.com
**** APOLOGIES to my viewers : Most of my Aurora Photos were taken on film ... I now realize that my early scans of the negatives, which I used in posting here, were of absolutely awful, grainy quality ... I've since learned how to do much better scans and hope, someday, to find the time to replace the poor scans ..
* if using a photo for public display or commercial use, pls. request permission and provide a credit/attribution
Photos of David Cartier (3)
- Comet PAN-STARRS 462 photos, 165 members
- Autumn Colors & Photos 18,872 photos, 1,202 members
- autumn colors / Herbstfarben 15,453 photos, 1,876 members
- Autumn Wonders 9,997 photos, 894 members
- Autumn/Fall/秋天 24,859 photos, 1,541 members
- All things Autumn 40,669 photos, 2,329 members
- AUTUMN*FALL P1/A5 ***CONTEST for every member 134,123 photos, 17,614 members
- Fall Color in the American West 1,559 photos, 163 members
- Autumn / Fall Colors and Themes 121,133 photos, 9,076 members
- Fall Colors from Around the World 33,061 photos, 2,274 members
- YUKON PHOTOGRAPHY:: IMAGE QUEST 125 photos, 19 members
- The Yukon Collection 294 photos, 35 members
- Património Geológico e Mineiro 9,372 photos, 562 members
- Dark season of the north / Mørketid 1,627 photos, 137 members
- Canada's Northern Lights 315 photos, 59 members
- Our Planet at Night 13,792 photos, 1,500 members
- Soviet Glass 2,891 photos, 309 members
- Kiev 19 1,183 photos, 142 members
- Soviet and Russian Film Cameras 9,565 photos, 609 members
- Soviet Lens Club 15,277 photos, 991 members
- Made in Soviet Union 18,900 photos, 1,168 members
- Commie Cameras 17,068 photos, 723 members
- Mir - Russian Lenses 3,010 photos, 411 members
- Russian Camera and Lens Lovers 4,980 photos, 231 members
- Russian Lens On DSLR 8,545 photos, 510 members
- Russian Lens World 32,180 photos, 3,434 members
- Alaska The 49th State 12,064 photos, 491 members
- Alaska 5,232 photos, 183 members
- Anchorage, Alaska 9,742 photos, 634 members
- Travel Yukon 1,385 photos, 64 members
- Anything Orion 1,156 photos, 269 members
- trees with backlight 9,066 photos, 1,303 members
- Lonely Tree 47,442 photos, 9,632 members
- from BELOW - straight up 8,132 photos, 1,695 members
- Natural World. (P1/C2) 49,125 photos, 1,404 members
- BBC Sky at Night and Stargazing Live 104,304 photos, 10,213 members
- Mirando el Cielo/Look the Sky 26,341 photos, 1,221 members
- Trees, Treetops and Sky 21,645 photos, 1,330 members
- SKY Kingdom of ZEUS 2,098 photos, 101 members
- Cloud & Sky Fire 13,994 photos, 1,491 members
- 天空的影像-belief in the sky 26,358 photos, 1,479 members
- Absolut Sky 48,233 photos, 2,723 members
- Sky Above [No Moon] 61,874 photos, 4,200 members
- Sky Chasers 134,595 photos, 9,417 members
- Sky As A Canvas ~ ~ ~ 126,102 photos, 9,465 members
- Sky glory 114,305 photos, 9,161 members
- Skies of Blue 72,059 photos, 6,418 members
- Grain is Good 438,855 photos, 15,708 members
- International Commie Camera Days 2016 5,944 photos, 647 members
- Amazing Image: Sky 66 photos, 35 members
"I'm humbled by David's photos. They show a magnificence of wildlife and the land seen by very few people. His pictures show the power of our planet and remind us how fortunate we are to share this fragile and powerful planet with the land and animals who can teach us so much. Wonderful and caring pictures, David - Please keep sharing your pictures which remind us of how lucky we are to live on this earth. Thanks so much!"
April 27th, 2010
<only me> says:
"David is someome you just keep coming back to, he is an inspiration in his admiration of the beauty that nature offers us so freely and in his ability to allow us to see through his eyes upon this gorgeous world.
He has talent oozing out from his pages that wrap you up and take you on a magical northern journey.
Get yourself a good drink before you start going through his sets because you will be in such wonderment that other arrangements you may have will be superflous and time will slip by unoticed.
Did I mention he takes some good shots? :)
A humble learned man, David is always a joy to read and view."
September 8th, 2008
"David's collection of photos is filled with a uniqueness all his own! It is a thrill for me (a suburbian gal) to be able to view photos of such incredible quality of subjects I don't see. His Northern Lights collection views like a dream.........in a far off land. His love of nature and all of our surroundings shines through in every photo. David's guts and determination have allowed him the access to take photos of "wild creatures" at very close range. We are able to see through his lens a world that we would normally not see. One look at his stream will keep you coming back, time and time again."
July 20th, 2008
Luberon (sb) says:
"Lorsque j'ai découvert les photos de David, j'ai été impressionnée par les grizzlis et autres énormes bêtes des forêts de l'Alaska qui ne semblaient pas l'effrayer
et puis au fil du temps, j'ai découvert une grande âme, celle d'un poète, d'un ami sincère de la Nature...peut-être d' un Shamane
C'est toujours un immense plaisir pour moi de partager sur Flickr avec David, que je considère comme un Ami
When I discovered David's photos , I was impressed by the grizzlis and other large animals of the forests of Alaska. He didn 't seem to be afraid of them. Then I discovered that he had a poet's soul, he truly loves Nature, and maybe he is a kind of Shaman
It is always for me a great pleasure to share with David on Flickr, I consider him as a friend"
April 20th, 2008
VJ Spectra says:
"Davids collection of images is stunning - he has witnessed first hand some of the most amazing spectacles mother nature has to offer. It is obvious he is a man of great intellect and experience. I am inspired by his visions and captivated by a beauty very few people get to see up close. It is indeed a privelege to share a window into his world."
March 17th, 2008
"David's work is awesome. Take some time to go through his stream and get a good feel for life in the north."
January 26th, 2008
"cant get over how good his night pictures are.. I do what I can as far as that goes, but shit.. he's on point.. best wishes always+"
October 5th, 2007
asis k. chatt says:
"It is a great honor for me to write a testimonial for Mr. David Cartier.
His photographs emit a strong flavor of Nature. Vivid & beautiful, the photos are a joy to view. I think he is unparalleled in shooting Rainbows! I sincerely wish him a great future in all spheres of life."
June 22nd, 2007
- David Cartier, Sr.
- December 2006
- Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Unemployed Bum