Canadian born and partly raised... (It's a long story) ... But ... floated down the Yukon River for 3 months in my younger days and got trapped in Alaska for 25 yrs. Mostly in a remote Yupik Eskimo village, 600 miles from the nearest road. Spent the last few winters travelling in SE Asia, but missed the Northern Lights and am now back in the Yukon Borders irritate me ... I prefer to think of myself as "Civis Mundanus" ... a citizen of this beautiful WORLD.
I love to do amateur astronomy with my 5 inch refractor, read voraciously (history, science, Latin & Greek Classics) and play with all my ancient film cameras, especially in the dark of night.
I also love scouring the mountains of Alaska, the Yukon and Northwest Territories for the fossil remnants of ancient worlds ...
I really don't care for contests, prizes, etc.... am kind of turned off by all that ..... What I love about Flickr is the marvel of being able to share my love of nature with people all around the world....... As well as to see nature through their eyes..... As the last great American President , Thomas Jefferson,once said ...." There is not so much as a blade of grass, anywhere in Nature, that does not interest me"
In doing photography, I use a variety of interesting old film cameras and , most recently, a Panasonic Lumix G-1digital SLR.
While I'm in awe of the art created by photographers using Photoshop, etc. I don't really think of what I do as art ...more like a loving chronicling of Nature, to which I like to maintain a certain fidelity. I like my images to be as true as possible to how they were experienced, to which end i will occasionally mess with the brightness and contrast in Windows Photo Gallery, , but that's about it.
I'm happy to share ... Currently, anybody can use my images for anything they want*.
My gratitude goes out to all who share my impressions of nature here..... I enjoy comments largely 'cause they take me to YOUR sites, where I am constantly amazed and inspired.
My personal Email is email@example.com
**** APOLOGIES to my viewers : Most of my Aurora Photos were taken on film ... I now realize that my early scans of the negatives, which I used in posting here, were of absolutely awful, grainy quality ... I've since learned how to do much better scans and hope, someday, to find the time to replace the poor scans ..
* if using a photo for public display or commercial use, pls. request permission and provide a credit/attribution
Photos of David Cartier (3)
- Comet PAN-STARRS 460 photos, 166 members
- Autumn Colors & Photos 12,243 photos, 874 members
- autumn colors / Herbstfarben 14,247 photos, 1,773 members
- Autumn Wonders 6,089 photos, 658 members
- Autumn/Fall/秋天 18,388 photos, 1,223 members
- All things Autumn 36,270 photos, 2,187 members
- AUTUMN*FALL P1/A5 ***CONTEST for every member 127,805 photos, 17,343 members
- Fall Color in the American West 1,127 photos, 128 members
- Autumn / Fall Colors and Themes 93,320 photos, 8,092 members
- Fall Colors from Around the World 26,536 photos, 2,030 members
- YUKON PHOTOGRAPHY:: IMAGE QUEST 108 photos, 18 members
- The Yukon Collection 284 photos, 32 members
- Património Geológico e Mineiro 9,304 photos, 572 members
- Dark season of the north / Mørketid 1,200 photos, 104 members
- Canada's Northern Lights 202 photos, 42 members
- Our Planet at Night 8,103 photos, 960 members
- Soviet Glass 2,559 photos, 227 members
- Kiev 19 1,149 photos, 131 members
- Soviet and Russian Film Cameras 7,606 photos, 540 members
- Soviet Lens Club 10,642 photos, 708 members
- Made in Soviet Union 14,549 photos, 1,047 members
- Commie Cameras 15,108 photos, 653 members
- Mir - Russian Lenses 2,378 photos, 322 members
- Russian Camera and Lens Lovers 4,154 photos, 198 members
- Russian Lens On DSLR 6,138 photos, 381 members
- Russian Lens World 32,492 photos, 3,185 members
- Alaska The 49th State 11,017 photos, 448 members
- Alaska 4,956 photos, 168 members
- Anchorage, Alaska 9,669 photos, 618 members
- Travel Yukon 969 photos, 57 members
- Anything Orion 1,065 photos, 243 members
- trees with backlight 6,660 photos, 998 members
- Lonely Tree 45,275 photos, 9,494 members
- from BELOW - straight up 7,828 photos, 1,638 members
- Natural World. (P1/C2) 39,203 photos, 1,368 members
- BBC Sky at Night and Stargazing Live 86,159 photos, 9,277 members
- Mirando el Cielo/Look the Sky 22,232 photos, 1,132 members
- Trees, Treetops and Sky 14,677 photos, 1,019 members
- SKY Kingdom of ZEUS 1,820 photos, 97 members
- Cloud & Sky Fire 12,469 photos, 1,374 members
- 天空的影像-belief in the sky 23,823 photos, 1,448 members
- Absolut Sky 36,249 photos, 2,271 members
- Sky Above 51,939 photos, 3,847 members
- Sky Chasers 111,511 photos, 8,683 members
- Sky As A Canvas ~ ~ ~ 107,324 photos, 8,749 members
- Sky glory 82,082 photos, 7,210 members
- Skies of Blue 50,923 photos, 4,737 members
- Grain is Good 387,167 photos, 14,996 members
- International Commie Camera Days 2015 5,128 photos, 642 members
- Amazing Image: Sky 66 photos, 35 members
"I'm humbled by David's photos. They show a magnificence of wildlife and the land seen by very few people. His pictures show the power of our planet and remind us how fortunate we are to share this fragile and powerful planet with the land and animals who can teach us so much. Wonderful and caring pictures, David - Please keep sharing your pictures which remind us of how lucky we are to live on this earth. Thanks so much!"
April 27th, 2010
<only me> says:
"David is someome you just keep coming back to, he is an inspiration in his admiration of the beauty that nature offers us so freely and in his ability to allow us to see through his eyes upon this gorgeous world.
He has talent oozing out from his pages that wrap you up and take you on a magical northern journey.
Get yourself a good drink before you start going through his sets because you will be in such wonderment that other arrangements you may have will be superflous and time will slip by unoticed.
Did I mention he takes some good shots? :)
A humble learned man, David is always a joy to read and view."
September 8th, 2008
"David's collection of photos is filled with a uniqueness all his own! It is a thrill for me (a suburbian gal) to be able to view photos of such incredible quality of subjects I don't see. His Northern Lights collection views like a dream.........in a far off land. His love of nature and all of our surroundings shines through in every photo. David's guts and determination have allowed him the access to take photos of "wild creatures" at very close range. We are able to see through his lens a world that we would normally not see. One look at his stream will keep you coming back, time and time again."
July 20th, 2008
Luberon (sb) says:
"Lorsque j'ai découvert les photos de David, j'ai été impressionnée par les grizzlis et autres énormes bêtes des forêts de l'Alaska qui ne semblaient pas l'effrayer
et puis au fil du temps, j'ai découvert une grande âme, celle d'un poète, d'un ami sincère de la Nature...peut-être d' un Shamane
C'est toujours un immense plaisir pour moi de partager sur Flickr avec David, que je considère comme un Ami
When I discovered David's photos , I was impressed by the grizzlis and other large animals of the forests of Alaska. He didn 't seem to be afraid of them. Then I discovered that he had a poet's soul, he truly loves Nature, and maybe he is a kind of Shaman
It is always for me a great pleasure to share with David on Flickr, I consider him as a friend"
April 20th, 2008
VJ Spectra says:
"Davids collection of images is stunning - he has witnessed first hand some of the most amazing spectacles mother nature has to offer. It is obvious he is a man of great intellect and experience. I am inspired by his visions and captivated by a beauty very few people get to see up close. It is indeed a privelege to share a window into his world."
March 17th, 2008
"David's work is awesome. Take some time to go through his stream and get a good feel for life in the north."
January 26th, 2008
"cant get over how good his night pictures are.. I do what I can as far as that goes, but shit.. he's on point.. best wishes always+"
October 5th, 2007
asis k. chatt says:
"It is a great honor for me to write a testimonial for Mr. David Cartier.
His photographs emit a strong flavor of Nature. Vivid & beautiful, the photos are a joy to view. I think he is unparalleled in shooting Rainbows! I sincerely wish him a great future in all spheres of life."
June 22nd, 2007
- David Cartier, Sr.
- December 2006
- Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Unemployed Bum