My name is David Van Chu. I'm from Portland, Maine and go to Wentworth Institute of Technology.
I was always interested in photography. Even when I was little, I'd love playing with the little disposable ones. In fifth grade, I got my first digital camera, and even though the quality was abysmal (it was $20), I was hooked.
Since then, I've gone through a bunch of cameras. My first (decent) point and shoot was a Nikon, then a Canon, then finally a Nikon DSLR. I went through a few of those before I ended up switching to Canon, and then back to Nikon once, and back to Canon again, and then to Olympus.
Current gear list, for those who are wondering:
Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-O 35mm f/2
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor
Olympus m.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8
Olympus m.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R
- Flickr Friday 30,745 photos, 37,154 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 24,851 photos, 43,051 members
- Flickr Heroes 67,157 photos, 8,299 members
- Consumerist.com 179,685 photos, 5,256 members
- TLP - Travel Light Photography 461,401 photos, 8,391 members
- Micro Four Thirds (Micro 4/3) 912,072 photos, 17,563 members
- Micro Four Thirds Community 630,108 photos, 10,580 members
- Project Weather 638,767 photos, 94,182 members
- Fuji x100s 142,530 photos, 7,449 members
- flickr (unofficial) 5,586,689 photos, 112,733 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 621,043 photos, 44,471 members
- Global Photojournalism 520,991 photos, 24,416 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 111,112 photos, 7,612 members
- NoRes 2013... the 365 fail to end all 365 fails 1,270 photos, 20 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 4,650,989 photos, 186,414 members
- Nikon D5000 User Group 162,010 photos, 6,645 members
- David Chu Photo Critique 196 photos, 14 members
- Black and White 6,883,187 photos, 355,403 members
- B&W 5,199,328 photos, 226,168 members
- AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G 176,089 photos, 13,538 members
- Public Image 451 photos, 65 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,141 photos, 78,633 members
- Decisive Moment 59,559 photos, 37,497 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,417,708 photos, 74,335 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 106,449 photos, 2,305 members
- Maine Photography Meet-Up 1,725 photos, 15 members
- Strobist.com 608,704 photos, 124,073 members
- Undefined 7,381 photos, 295 members
- No metering lenses on Nikon DSLRs 63,368 photos, 3,470 members
- Nikon D40/x/50/60/5000/3000/3100 and Friends Club 516,718 photos, 25,642 members
"David is 80 pounds (yes 80) of pure camera knowledge; if that made any sense. He also has more 50mm lenses than you can imagine, and tried to convert me into another form of him.
Thankfully, I'm sticking with one 50mm.
Oh, he has good pictures too. :D."
November 9th, 2008
"Well what can I say? He tricked me out of my old 1966 55mm 3.5 micro.
And I resent the hell out of him. He is young and has the smarts to follow his passions. And always trying new things. I think he will go far in the world of photography. Stick with it David and you will do great things.
He gives of himself freely in the forums and is always helpful tho he is a bit of a imp, a trickster and has a bit of the Loki in him. Which are traits I approve of.
And be sure to send all your extra Lenses,Bodies,etc.. to Him. As he will make good use of them learning his craft."
October 5th, 2008
Hunter Cape says:
"David is one of the smartest mature younger kids I have ever met. He has taught me loads about Nikon, and to be honest I would be no where without him. Thanks David!"
July 30th, 2008
MAINEiac Jan says:
"David sees the ORDINARY, but with his camera he turns them into the EXTRAORDINARY..."
June 28th, 2008
porch light faders says:
"David's a real classy guy. He enjoys talking about STDs.
He has really cool pictures and manual focus primes.
In the time you'll take 50 shots, he'll still be focusing his camera."
March 16th, 2008
- David Chu
- April 2007
- Portland, Maine
- United States
- I am:
- Male and Single