Korean War press corps© photo by Werner Bischof / Magnum Photos
Copyright © all images cannot be used without permission.
Most photographs are available for license.
Freelance Photographer, American
A San Francisco native, began taking photographs in the late-1960's with a pre-war Leica IIIc, used my first digital camera in 2005, very nice instrument with vast capabilities.
Studied photo-journalism and photography at City College of San Francisco, a blue-collar photography program, from 1969-70. Working freelance periodically doing some documentary works. Have always admired the photographs of Robert Frank, Henry Wessel, Danny Lyon, Robert Adams, Walker Evans, and Cartier-Bresson. California history and geology buff. Presently living in San Francisco as a former member of the prolitariat working class, now retired.
My current cameras list:
Rolleicord V TLR
Fuji gs645s medium format rangefinder
Pentax H3v 35mm SLR c1962 vintage
plus various small digicams
All black and white film images are scanned from the original negatives unless noted otherwise.
photo by Simone Bradley
Photos of Dizzy Atmosphere (9)
- San Francisco Street Photographers 5,795 photos, 328 members
- Film in Chinatown 272 photos, 29 members
- Jazz 48,830 photos, 2,268 members
- JaZZ & Blues 8,549 photos, 508 members
- Parkology 4,191 photos, 179 members
- Sacramento River Delta 640 photos, 70 members
- Street Photography Monochrome 12,953 photos, 4,004 members
- San Francisco Photo Guild 22,969 photos, 1,937 members
- San Francisco Locals Photography 5,094 photos, 370 members
- San Francisco Chinatown 3,401 photos, 758 members
- San Francisco's Richmond District 1,627 photos, 200 members
- New York City Emulsions 14,393 photos, 530 members
- Street Portraitist 61,720 photos, 2,857 members
- Chicago Cubs 6,561 photos, 843 members
- Wrigley Field 962 photos, 107 members
- Southern Culture 16,403 photos, 681 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 14,158 photos, 597 members
- Anything San Francisco Giants 5,692 photos, 337 members
- San Francisco Giants 4,942 photos, 259 members
- Hong Kong Trams 616 photos, 87 members
- Muni Diaries Photos 4,118 photos, 256 members
- MUNI & BART 10,771 photos, 932 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 32,047 photos, 4,295 members
- Picturing Place: Northeast San Francisco 1,067 photos, 187 members
- City Biker 6,817 photos, 441 members
- cinestreet 7 photos, 78 members
- Stardust Motel 139 photos, 86 members
- suburbanality - showing up those gritty urban photographers 13,649 photos, 1,221 members
- Streets of San Francisco 21,906 photos, 980 members
- American West in Black and White 9,408 photos, 293 members
- Vespaaah!! 21,080 photos, 1,726 members
- Natural Light Portraits 14,529 photos, 815 members
- Bernalwood 2,608 photos, 278 members
- 2011 San Francisco 4,129 photos, 79 members
- Golden State Warriors 264 photos, 61 members
- The Old City of Jerusalem 783 photos, 73 members
- Rap-Hip Hop 12,176 photos, 891 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, Politics, and News 347,899 photos, 23,955 members
- iPhone 4 Photography 93,661 photos, 3,002 members
- Middle East Capitals: Jerusalem, Amman, Damascus etc 3,946 photos, 484 members
- Fictitious Reality 40TH Exhibition-Joseph Wigfall 30 photos, 297 members
- Blues Photography Today 9,186 photos, 391 members
- Nothin' But The Blues... 4,449 photos, 373 members
- Indoor 'Street' Shooting 2,560 photos, 405 members
- 2010 San Francisco 2,796 photos, 104 members
- Brassaï 4,839 photos, 542 members
- Hollyweird 759 photos, 78 members
- Lyric Documentary 7,982 photos, 676 members
- Drakes Bay Oyster 47 photos, 13 members
- US Route 50 2,323 photos, 194 members
"I have been hooked on Dizzy's work ever since I found it on flickr many months ago. I can't think of anyone who's work I admire more. His images are worth spending a lot of time on... it's an effort you will find very rewarding."
2nd November, 2008
nic hansen says:
"Excellent b/w street photographer, give him his due, I like his pictures!"
17th July, 2008
"Dizzy's images are TIMELESS. A photograph taken in 1970 and one taken last week can stand equal in its dimension and beauty. He knows how to use the power of black and white. Whether or not one was shot using Tri-X or one done in digital, they never cease to amaze me. These images make me want to continue to grow with my own body of work."
12th May, 2008
"Dizzy taught me black & white back so far the Haight was still interesting. He's taken some of the best black & white photos I've ever seen. He's as good with landscapes taken from a motorcycle as he is standing on the street in SF. He should be San Francisco's visual biographer for the last four decades. To me he is."
5th February, 2008
Andrew Kavanagh says:
"Love the street scenes and candid images. They take you 'there'."
13th March, 2007
william c hutton jr says:
"The variety and quality of Dizzy's images is amazing. Each one is special. Thank you Dizzy for sharing your work."
10th March, 2006
- Dave Glass
- January 2006
- San Francisco USA
- San Francisco, USA
- I am: