Total Escape is DanaMite's California creation. The independent travel source for the golden state and all the glorious back roads. 2018 marks my site w/ 22 years online!
Camping & outdoors are my passion. So much so, that I gave up my 3D animation career 2 decades ago to create my own web site on California, exploring the back roads. My lil Nikon Coolpix 950 camera kept me working hard for almost 12 years; In Summer 2011, after unsuccessfully searching for Compact Flash memory while traveling 'on the road', I just gave up on the old skool and bought a new NIKON Coolpix L120 in Susanville (of all places).
The last 2 decades I have been traveling, camping, hiking, off-roading & compiling a visual & informational database featuring mostly rural California. Vacation spots & weekend adventures. Best parks, small towns, lakes, forests, rivers, trails.... a hell-of-a-lotta dirt roads, plus some 4x4 routes. Photos of real places & real content about real California. Yes, you can drive on past the factory outlet malls and casinos.
Next weekend make it all outside!
NEW Map Shop & Gear
totalescape.blogspot.com - Well Off the Beaten Path
Thanks to all who have contributed! Many of my flickr contacts listed below have graciously allowed me to post their unique California photos on my awesome travel site, Total Escape. When cruising all the small towns A-Z, you will notice these.
If you have an awesome shot of California and would like to have it featured online with Total Escape - just lemme know via flickr mail.
- The Post Ignorance Project 32 photos, 7 members
- Bars & Restaurants all over the world 16,308 photos, 1,055 members
- Los Padres NF Trail Signs 239 photos, 17 members
- Arnold Rim Trail 290 photos, 13 members
- KINGSBURG CALIFORNIA 775 photos, 11 members
- Nikon Coolpix L120 3,219 photos, 162 members
- Yes on Prop 37: Label GMO 32 photos, 17 members
- Right2Know About GMOs 620 photos, 67 members
- World Food Day, Rally for the Right to Know 92 photos, 3 members
- #OccupyWallStreet 13,930 photos, 648 members
- 4x4 Adventures 9,082 photos, 474 members
- Best of Yosemite 4,063 photos, 692 members
- my wilderness weekend 28 photos, 24 members
- Lakes of the Inland Empire 882 photos, 66 members
- Yosemite Falls 963 photos, 243 members
- Curioso en definitiva 52 photos, 45 members
- Davenport, California 1,098 photos, 188 members
- Bishop Ca 1,515 photos, 133 members
- Kern County Photographers 16,496 photos, 232 members
- Let's Be More Nature! 1,767 photos, 59 members
- San Luis Obispo County Wildflowers 924 photos, 71 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,603 photos, 8,430 members
- I Love Camping and Hiking! 3,450 photos, 296 members
- Kern County Photographers Wildflower and Nature Chapter 1,616 photos, 44 members
- Earth From the Air 11,695 photos, 1,147 members
- Randsburg: The Living Ghost Town 89 photos, 29 members
- San Francisco 286,427 photos, 15,623 members
- Santa Cruz Mountains 3,475 photos, 222 members
- Nevada 30,388 photos, 1,009 members
- cafe 39,965 photos, 5,817 members
- The Vanishing Night ( A Light Pollution Group) 6,199 photos, 944 members
- Kern County, CA USA 4,086 photos, 185 members
- Examiner Travel Group 2,767 photos, 186 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 402,270 photos, 103,696 members
- Eastern Sierra Fall Color 2,934 photos, 248 members
- Hotels 79,533 photos, 6,106 members
- California Sierra Mountain Shots 2,776 photos, 299 members
- Autumn in California 339 photos, 37 members
- Camping around the world 7,029 photos, 698 members
- Kings Canyon National Park 1,147 photos, 159 members
- Northern California Photography 202,265 photos, 5,485 members
- Death Valley and SW Nevada Flickr Meet-Up Group 0 photos, 11 members
- The Toilet Tent 208 photos, 26 members
- Zion National Park 15,288 photos, 1,954 members
- Subaru 40,953 photos, 4,317 members
- The Hundred Club of Flickr 517,769 photos, 32,495 members
- On the Road - taken from your car window 20,351 photos, 1,453 members
- MexicaliBlog 3,989 photos, 229 members
- Single Tree Photos 4,103 photos, 897 members
- California Bridges 1,826 photos, 139 members
Apple Crisp says:
"Dana's beautiful photos take us all over the back roads of California and give us just a taste of her extensive explorations. She's got a great eye and a distinctive appreciation of the details that make travel such a rewarding experience. Her photos demonstrate her love of nature and the older, smaller towns that many never see. This is where her heart is and it shows.
If you haven't visited her site, it's time! Total Escape is full of exciting ideas for traveling and exploring California.
Thanks for your wonderful photos, Dana! And we hope to see you on your next trip north!"
September 13th, 2009
- Dana Mite
- December 2006
- Berry Creek, CA, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- camp diva & web geekett
- Total Escape