Instagram @cynthiaewood | www.cynthiawoodphoto.com | facebook | FoundFolios | Blurb
"For the thousandth time, it must be said that pictures speak for themselves, wordlessly, visually - or they fail." ~Walker Evans
Hello ~ I'm a freelance documentary & fine art photographer based in San Francisco, CA.
I truly love making pictures -- all kinds, all the time. Although I do generally prefer shooting with beautiful, natural (or available) light and prime lenses. I sometimes struggle with defining myself as a photographer because to do so feels confining to me (I'm very resistant to limiting myself to a single genre, style, subject area, or mode of inquiry). As a result my photography is somewhat eclectic -- much like my sense of fashion/personal taste? -- and I'm often at a loss when someone asks me, "What do you shoot?" At the risk of over-simplifying matters, I like to photograph whatever strikes me as interesting or beautiful or poignant or funny or relevant or meaningful or...[the list goes on]. I also like exploring themes and ideas through my work. I tend to gravitate toward narrative details and small or spontaneous but defining moments. And I'm consistently drawn to people and portraiture (I love hearing people's stories, or else trying to imagine them) -- and found things...or 'reality' (however subjective that notion may be!); things pretty much as they are, or at least as I encounter/see them, whether that's people or objects or landscapes or scenarios.
I also love butter and singing and old-fashioned snail-mail and spontaneous, unexpected gifts. And shiny things. Flora & fauna. Leftovers! And wordplay. My favorite game --hands down-- is Boggle. A long time ago I lived in Paris, where a little piece of my heart still resides...
[A short list of things I don't like: phonies, cheapskates, and liars. Excess packaging! HDR.]
I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I am available for assignments or commissions (commercial, editorial, corporate, private); if you contact me with details or questions, I will get back to you promptly. I also sell prints by special order, and sometimes via galleries or shows -- pricing, editioning and other details provided upon inquiry.
I use Flickr like a sketchbook -- for posting personal pictures and samples or outtakes from assignments, for inspiration*, for testing (of ideas, treatments, styles, etc.), and for general, informal sharing of images and observations. Ergo, this is not a tightly edited presentation of my 'best' photos -- or a singular, visually coherent body of work. Much of what you might see here is representative of 'my work.' But some of what you see here is just me having a life.
That said, all of my images are © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don't steal or 'borrow' or re-post my photos, or use them for any reason without my permission. Seriously. Don't be schmuck. This is my work and photography is my livelihood.
A limited number of my photos here on Flickr are available for licensing through Getty Images. (Scratch that: I terminated my five+-year relationship with Getty Images in April 2014.) For all inquiries -- regarding usage, licensing, availability of prints, etc. -- I welcome you to contact me directly, either by emailing me through Flickr mail, or via my website by clicking on the link over there to the right for CYNTHIA WOOD | PHOTOGRAPHY.
And lastly but not leastly, I created a couple of self-published books using Blurb that I'm pretty excited about: one in eight (which was named as a finalist in the Documentary category in Blurb's 2011 "Photo Book Now" international competition!), and BRIGHTER FASTER (which was listed as a "staff pick" in Blurb's online bookstore -- thank you, Blurb!): www.blurb.com/user/CynthiaEWood
one in eight. By Cynthia Wood Book Preview
BRIGHTER FASTER By Cynthia Wood Book Preview
*There's really so much good work here on Flickr (for all you naysayers out there). If you still need proof, just take a stroll (or a scroll) through my favorites.
- Mossless 10,259 photos, 3,594 members
- Variant 2,015 photos, 2,706 members
- 'RoidWeek 2016 4,343 photos, 1,077 members
- exclamation mark 18,630 photos, 1,275 members
- 'RoidWeek 2015 3,549 photos, 710 members
- Risked Returning 1,017 photos, 1,851 members
- suрreme ∆ ○ □ 3,390 photos, 461 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 2,024 photos, 990 members
- Positive Magazine 283,670 photos, 8,269 members
- D I E T R O F R O N T 36,431 photos, 1,158 members
- Suburbia 32,423 photos, 1,830 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 961,749 photos, 31,926 members
- If You Leave - Open Submissions (2017 SUBMISSION NOW CLOSED, ope 14,087 photos, 5,684 members
- Nifty Thrift 54,680 photos, 3,885 members
- Contemporary Fine Art Landscape 1,334 photos, 338 members
- Télégramme Magazine 112,083 photos, 2,865 members
- Cut Off Places 18,350 photos, 3,572 members
- katwerk 1,937 photos, 128 members
- timorous beasties 2,983 photos, 383 members
- la familia abrazada 2,542 photos, 1,445 members
- glory glory halelujah! 598 photos, 66 members
- Spring RoidWeek 2014 2,404 photos, 688 members
- FP 100c 8,268 photos, 1,330 members
- Analog only 427,418 photos, 7,461 members
- Polaroid -COLOR- (Instant Peel Apart film only) 25,752 photos, 2,452 members
- They Shoot Film, Don't They? 515,050 photos, 9,165 members
- Polaroid Film 21,700 photos, 1,004 members
- PetaPixel.com 122,007 photos, 4,527 members
- Banalities 75,558 photos, 1,293 members
- Non-Places (curated) 3,801 photos, 701 members
- Lee Friedlander (inspired by) 8,363 photos, 770 members
- Automotive Artistry 57,057 photos, 2,432 members
- BORED? zine 82,824 photos, 2,432 members
- Life on the blue planet 3,018 photos, 134 members
- Street Composition (Fine Art Street Photography) 300,211 photos, 9,037 members
- Stephen Shore 18,536 photos, 836 members
- The Mundane 47,312 photos, 1,077 members
- Deadpan 39,433 photos, 809 members
- The democratic photograph 13,202 photos, 577 members
- write it on a postcard 34,199 photos, 814 members
- Mid-Century Modern 23,957 photos, 1,794 members
- Mid-Century Modern Art & Design 18,375 photos, 1,911 members
- Society for Commercial Archeology 21,628 photos, 549 members
- Instant Film 76,318 photos, 3,327 members
- Contemporary Landscape 231,106 photos, 5,277 members
- New Topographers 89,450 photos, 1,521 members
- Lyric Documentary 11,745 photos, 836 members
- the lives of others 10,010 photos, 308 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 8,954 photos, 327 members
- Foam Wonder Selection 250 photos, 15 members
Mark Madeo says:
"Cynthia Wood has a giant ore of gold for talent, an unfair endowment when compared to most, and a passion that lights the way for those who have fallen into the darkness of repetition. She is an eternal lover of photography and a muse for those seeking to rediscover creative passion. To watch her work, and to see her work is to remember how to photograph."
April 10th, 2009
"Cynthia sees the world through eyes made wise by an obvious love of people, nature, science (geometry!), music, and literature. Her photos have a striking observational honesty to them: creative without pretense and stylish without affectation. As it happens, these very traits are mirrored in the photographer herself -- which makes Cynthia not only one of my favorite photographers, but also one of my most cherished friends, and one of the brightest lights in my world."
February 17th, 2009
"Cynner has a great eye and a wonderful nature. I come here to appreciate the world we have in common and her vintage clothing! In her I've met my free-sprited match."
July 24th, 2007
"sweet like rain and nimble like the wind, cynthia deserves high and frequent praise. Just watch yourself if you find her opposite you at a scrabble table."
January 15th, 2007
- Cynthia Wood
- September 2006
- San Francisco, CA
- I am:
- CYNTHIA WOOD | PHOTOGRAPHY