Greetings and salutations! : )
What is there to say??? I was raised in the tiny little farming community of Eagle, Idaho, just outside the Boise city limits. I never really knew anything about anything outside of that sheltered little life. By 'little', I do not mean any disrespect toward my parents who always worked very hard to keep food on the table. I just never knew anything beyond that world or the world of the religion in which I was raised (being mormon).
I served a mormon mission (yes I was one of those world renowned missionaries) for two years in la Mission Suisse de Geneve from July '91-June'93 which served to open my eyes to new perspectives, having had the opportunity to live in Geneva, Vevey, Montreux, Lausanne, Sion, Fribourg, and Neuchatel Switzerland, as well as the french cities of St Etienne and Dijon. I still consider myself culturally mormon, but released any attachment I may have had with religion in general. I was taught as a kid, to ask the questions, 'where did I come from before I was born?','why am I here?','and where will i go when i die?'. I came to the monumental conclusion that I really don't care! I just want to live a quality life and perhaps help others along the way. Is it such a bad thing?
I had the opportunity to return to France in 2004-05 as an English assistant in the French public school system With my hubby Zach. I taught in the towns of Meylan and Corenc outside of Grenoble whilst living across the Isere from the porte de France in Grenoble. I've never been one for taking pictures really and refused to take many when living in Grenoble because I didn't want to come off as a tourist. But, that being said, something did click in me during my sejour that made me obsess about capturing every moment and sharing it with my family and friends back home.
Whilst in France, I decided to finish my undergrad (finally) and Zach wanted to return for his master's in public policy administration. Upon returning to the U.S. we stationed ourselves in the, ever so lovely, Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. It was at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst I was finally able to complete my degree in Resource Economics in May of '09. Western MA has proven to be quite an eye opener as well for a kid from the sparkling new state of ID. In the whole of the state I think the oldest non-native structure standing is the Sacred Heart Mission dating to the mid 19th century. The graveyard in Northampton, MA, where I now live, has stones dating to 1680 and houses dating from 1700. Needless to say, it is very different here.
Now we're getting to the purpose of my flickr obsession. My pictures aren't terribly interesting. I do try to take an artistic approach in much of what i do but rejoice in the simple and the ordinary. I do it for myself mainly, to catalog the things that I appreciate for being different than the things I know. Secondly, I do it for my family and friends back home, so they can see the things that I see and perhaps share in my intrigue of things different than those they know. Thirdly, if anyone else should find themselves curious about a total stranger who catalogs almost everything he sees (no matter how tedious it might seem to the general populace), they are welcome into my world. I enjoy scouring people's photostreams and taking in as much as I can from other regions of the world. Through discovering other people's worlds and perspectives I've found something I desperately want to integrate into my own photography, soul.
My technique and style are definitely a work in progress. I thank everyone who inspires me to push myself a step further and truly try to find the new perspective and art in real life.
Photos of corquey (2)
- Bella Morte (Beautiful Death) 10,866 photos, 1,138 members
- simple shoes 56 photos, 24 members
- Refrigerator Door Group 148 photos, 79 members
- windows & balconies lovers 83,893 photos, 5,502 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 279 photos, 201 members
- Classical Architecture to 1799 424 photos, 70 members
- Autumn in the Graveyard 7,270 photos, 664 members
- Welcome To My World (WTMW) 178,281 photos, 5,135 members
- 2014 GayOutdoors Photography Contest 20 photos, 256 members
- West Springfield, Massachusetts 421 photos, 23 members
- Autumn mood 2,825 photos, 102 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 446,777 photos, 39,998 members
- Old Salem, North Carolina 679 photos, 59 members
- Leeds 61,051 photos, 3,065 members
- peace, love and YELLOW 22,591 photos, 2,784 members
- Norwottuck Rail Trail 304 photos, 11 members
- gay art 6,836 photos, 1,286 members
- Playing with Food 365 photos, 45 members
- Play With Your Food 1,387 photos, 319 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 106,458 photos, 3,598 members
- Fuck Homophobia 3,042 photos, 1,095 members
- "The Breakfast Club" 39,688 photos, 3,901 members
- 52 Weeks of "The one you love" 447 photos, 135 members
- Graves of American Revolution Veterans 539 photos, 62 members
- PLANET EARTH ARCHITECTURE 117,004 photos, 3,552 members
- Barns of New England 1,720 photos, 183 members
- Massachusetts Architecture 7,210 photos, 378 members
- Atherstone, Warwickshire 299 photos, 44 members
- Vatican City - The Holy See - Santa Sede 12,710 photos, 1,964 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,491 photos, 759 members
- Flying Heads 2,410 photos, 63 members
- Anything Boise 11,459 photos, 492 members
- Boise Weekly 7,235 photos, 346 members
- Bridges around the world 30,419 photos, 4,225 members
- Art Crochet 18,378 photos, 1,481 members
- Freeform Crochet 3,080 photos, 903 members
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America and Britain 1,668 photos, 67 members
- Grenoble 19,555 photos, 988 members
- Lyon 56,218 photos, 3,001 members
- Salem, Massachusetts 1,162 photos, 110 members
- Colonial Times and Places 2,822 photos, 206 members
- Dublin 61,431 photos, 3,663 members
- -Moody&Spooky- * Post 2, Comment 1 * 15,823 photos, 1,613 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays *OPEN* 3,738,755 photos, 106,030 members
- Gay Rights Are Civil Rights 8,597 photos, 920 members
- Smith College 3,339 photos, 140 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 491,332 photos, 63,419 members
- **Brilliant~Eye~Jewels** INVITED PICS ONLY! P1/C2 185,655 photos, 21,891 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,318 photos, 42,116 members
- Margaret Todd 2,161 photos, 228 members
DARRIN J. OAKLEY says:
"I AM THE FIRST? NO. CAN'T BE.
I WOULD LIKE TO JUST SAY, HOW KIND YOU ARE. I LIKE GETTING TO KNOW YOU THROUGH FLICKR.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY."
September 26th, 2007
- March 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken