Greetings and salutations! : )
What is there to say??? I was raised in the tiny little farming community of Eagle, Idaho, just outside the Boise city limits. I never really knew anything about anything outside of that sheltered little life. By 'little', I do not mean any disrespect toward my parents who always worked very hard to keep food on the table. I just never knew anything beyond that world or the world of the religion in which I was raised (being mormon).
I served a mormon mission (yes I was one of those world renowned missionaries) for two years in la Mission Suisse de Geneve from July '91-June'93 which served to open my eyes to new perspectives, having had the opportunity to live in Geneva, Vevey, Montreux, Lausanne, Sion, Fribourg, and Neuchatel Switzerland, as well as the french cities of St Etienne and Dijon. I still consider myself culturally mormon, but released any attachment I may have had with religion in general. I was taught as a kid, to ask the questions, 'where did I come from before I was born?','why am I here?','and where will i go when i die?'. I came to the monumental conclusion that I really don't care! I just want to live a quality life and perhaps help others along the way. Is it such a bad thing?
I had the opportunity to return to France in 2004-05 as an English assistant in the French public school system With my hubby Zach. I taught in the towns of Meylan and Corenc outside of Grenoble whilst living across the Isere from the porte de France in Grenoble. I've never been one for taking pictures really and refused to take many when living in Grenoble because I didn't want to come off as a tourist. But, that being said, something did click in me during my sejour that made me obsess about capturing every moment and sharing it with my family and friends back home.
Whilst in France, I decided to finish my undergrad (finally) and Zach wanted to return for his master's in public policy administration. Upon returning to the U.S. we stationed ourselves in the, ever so lovely, Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. It was at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst I was finally able to complete my degree in Resource Economics in May of '09. Western MA has proven to be quite an eye opener as well for a kid from the sparkling new state of ID. In the whole of the state I think the oldest non-native structure standing is the Sacred Heart Mission dating to the mid 19th century. The graveyard in Northampton, MA, where I now live, has stones dating to 1680 and houses dating from 1700. Needless to say, it is very different here.
Now we're getting to the purpose of my flickr obsession. My pictures aren't terribly interesting. I do try to take an artistic approach in much of what i do but rejoice in the simple and the ordinary. I do it for myself mainly, to catalog the things that I appreciate for being different than the things I know. Secondly, I do it for my family and friends back home, so they can see the things that I see and perhaps share in my intrigue of things different than those they know. Thirdly, if anyone else should find themselves curious about a total stranger who catalogs almost everything he sees (no matter how tedious it might seem to the general populace), they are welcome into my world. I enjoy scouring people's photostreams and taking in as much as I can from other regions of the world. Through discovering other people's worlds and perspectives I've found something I desperately want to integrate into my own photography, soul.
My technique and style are definitely a work in progress. I thank everyone who inspires me to push myself a step further and truly try to find the new perspective and art in real life.
Photos of corquey (2)
- Bella Morte (Beautiful Death) 11,095 photos, 1,176 members
- simple shoes 56 photos, 24 members
- Refrigerator Door Group 148 photos, 79 members
- windows & balconies lovers 85,901 photos, 5,666 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 269 photos, 201 members
- Classical Architecture to 1799 468 photos, 70 members
- Autumn in the Graveyard 7,213 photos, 662 members
- Welcome To My World (WTMW) 190,109 photos, 5,225 members
- 2014 GayOutdoors Photography Contest 20 photos, 261 members
- West Springfield, Massachusetts 421 photos, 23 members
- Autumn mood 2,653 photos, 103 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 458,872 photos, 40,155 members
- Old Salem, North Carolina 687 photos, 61 members
- Leeds 62,450 photos, 3,105 members
- peace, love and YELLOW 22,796 photos, 2,775 members
- Norwottuck Rail Trail 307 photos, 12 members
- gay art 7,218 photos, 1,319 members
- Playing with Food 364 photos, 45 members
- Play With Your Food 1,393 photos, 318 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 109,266 photos, 3,627 members
- Fuck Homophobia 3,117 photos, 1,103 members
- "The Breakfast Club" 40,887 photos, 3,957 members
- 52 Weeks of "The one you love" 440 photos, 134 members
- Graves of American Revolution Veterans 540 photos, 64 members
- PLANET EARTH ARCHITECTURE 129,268 photos, 3,910 members
- Barns of New England 1,818 photos, 187 members
- Massachusetts Architecture 7,446 photos, 384 members
- Atherstone, Warwickshire 299 photos, 45 members
- Vatican City - The Holy See - Santa Sede 13,313 photos, 2,038 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,603 photos, 800 members
- Flying Heads 2,426 photos, 63 members
- Anything Boise 11,718 photos, 494 members
- Boise Weekly 7,470 photos, 350 members
- Bridges around the world 35,919 photos, 4,809 members
- Art Crochet 18,509 photos, 1,486 members
- Freeform Crochet 3,107 photos, 908 members
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America and Britain 1,672 photos, 68 members
- Grenoble 20,146 photos, 1,022 members
- Lyon 58,171 photos, 3,113 members
- Salem, Massachusetts 1,179 photos, 115 members
- Colonial Times and Places 2,881 photos, 217 members
- Dublin 62,560 photos, 3,693 members
- -Moody&Spooky- * Post 2, Comment 1 * 16,172 photos, 1,642 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Portrait Thursdays *OPEN* 3,870,361 photos, 109,147 members
- Gay Rights Are Civil Rights 8,755 photos, 942 members
- Smith College 3,342 photos, 140 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 490,182 photos, 63,431 members
- **Brilliant~Eye~Jewels** INVITED PICS ONLY! P1/C2 187,322 photos, 21,876 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,121 photos, 42,038 members
- Margaret Todd 2,175 photos, 231 members
DARRIN J. OAKLEY says:
"I AM THE FIRST? NO. CAN'T BE.
I WOULD LIKE TO JUST SAY, HOW KIND YOU ARE. I LIKE GETTING TO KNOW YOU THROUGH FLICKR.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY."
September 26th, 2007
- March 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken