Greetings and salutations! : )
What is there to say??? I was raised in the tiny little farming community of Eagle, Idaho, just outside the Boise city limits. I never really knew anything about anything outside of that sheltered little life. By 'little', I do not mean any disrespect toward my parents who always worked very hard to keep food on the table. I just never knew anything beyond that world or the world of the religion in which I was raised (being mormon).
I served a mormon mission (yes I was one of those world renowned missionaries) for two years in la Mission Suisse de Geneve from July '91-June'93 which served to open my eyes to new perspectives, having had the opportunity to live in Geneva, Vevey, Montreux, Lausanne, Sion, Fribourg, and Neuchatel Switzerland, as well as the french cities of St Etienne and Dijon. I still consider myself culturally mormon, but released any attachment I may have had with religion in general. I was taught as a kid, to ask the questions, 'where did I come from before I was born?','why am I here?','and where will i go when i die?'. I came to the monumental conclusion that I really don't care! I just want to live a quality life and perhaps help others along the way. Is it such a bad thing?
I had the opportunity to return to France in 2004-05 as an English assistant in the French public school system With my hubby Zach. I taught in the towns of Meylan and Corenc outside of Grenoble whilst living across the Isere from the porte de France in Grenoble. I've never been one for taking pictures really and refused to take many when living in Grenoble because I didn't want to come off as a tourist. But, that being said, something did click in me during my sejour that made me obsess about capturing every moment and sharing it with my family and friends back home.
Whilst in France, I decided to finish my undergrad (finally) and Zach wanted to return for his master's in public policy administration. Upon returning to the U.S. we stationed ourselves in the, ever so lovely, Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. It was at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst I was finally able to complete my degree in Resource Economics in May of '09. Western MA has proven to be quite an eye opener as well for a kid from the sparkling new state of ID. In the whole of the state I think the oldest non-native structure standing is the Sacred Heart Mission dating to the mid 19th century. The graveyard in Northampton, MA, where I now live, has stones dating to 1680 and houses dating from 1700. Needless to say, it is very different here.
Now we're getting to the purpose of my flickr obsession. My pictures aren't terribly interesting. I do try to take an artistic approach in much of what i do but rejoice in the simple and the ordinary. I do it for myself mainly, to catalog the things that I appreciate for being different than the things I know. Secondly, I do it for my family and friends back home, so they can see the things that I see and perhaps share in my intrigue of things different than those they know. Thirdly, if anyone else should find themselves curious about a total stranger who catalogs almost everything he sees (no matter how tedious it might seem to the general populace), they are welcome into my world. I enjoy scouring people's photostreams and taking in as much as I can from other regions of the world. Through discovering other people's worlds and perspectives I've found something I desperately want to integrate into my own photography, soul.
My technique and style are definitely a work in progress. I thank everyone who inspires me to push myself a step further and truly try to find the new perspective and art in real life.
Photos of corquey (2)
- Bella Morte (Beautiful Death) 11,073 photos, 1,182 members
- simple shoes 56 photos, 24 members
- Refrigerator Door Group 150 photos, 79 members
- windows & balconies lovers 86,649 photos, 5,726 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 269 photos, 201 members
- Classical Architecture to 1799 467 photos, 70 members
- Autumn in the Graveyard 7,231 photos, 662 members
- Welcome To My World (WTMW) 194,055 photos, 5,265 members
- 2014 GayOutdoors Photography Contest 25 photos, 260 members
- West Springfield, Massachusetts 421 photos, 23 members
- Autumn mood 2,747 photos, 105 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 462,329 photos, 40,210 members
- Old Salem, North Carolina 691 photos, 61 members
- Leeds 62,766 photos, 3,124 members
- peace, love and YELLOW 22,890 photos, 2,777 members
- Norwottuck Rail Trail 307 photos, 12 members
- gay art 7,341 photos, 1,329 members
- Playing with Food 364 photos, 45 members
- Play With Your Food 1,396 photos, 319 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 110,033 photos, 3,641 members
- Fuck Homophobia 3,141 photos, 1,104 members
- "The Breakfast Club" 41,299 photos, 3,974 members
- 52 Weeks of "The one you love" 440 photos, 133 members
- Graves of American Revolution Veterans 542 photos, 64 members
- PLANET EARTH ARCHITECTURE 132,831 photos, 4,009 members
- Barns of New England 1,849 photos, 188 members
- Massachusetts Architecture 7,502 photos, 387 members
- Atherstone, Warwickshire 299 photos, 46 members
- Vatican City - The Holy See - Santa Sede 13,647 photos, 2,062 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,778 photos, 807 members
- Flying Heads 2,432 photos, 63 members
- Anything Boise 11,807 photos, 495 members
- Boise Weekly 7,511 photos, 353 members
- Bridges around the world 37,552 photos, 4,963 members
- Art Crochet 18,557 photos, 1,486 members
- Freeform Crochet 3,105 photos, 908 members
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America and Britain 1,672 photos, 67 members
- Grenoble 20,308 photos, 1,033 members
- Lyon 58,861 photos, 3,138 members
- Salem, Massachusetts 1,196 photos, 115 members
- Colonial Times and Places 2,916 photos, 217 members
- Dublin 62,851 photos, 3,706 members
- -Moody&Spooky- * Post 2, Comment 1 * 16,172 photos, 1,651 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Weekend Showcase *OPEN* 3,908,289 photos, 110,044 members
- Gay Rights Are Civil Rights 8,782 photos, 941 members
- Smith College 3,344 photos, 141 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 489,884 photos, 63,457 members
- **Brilliant~Eye~Jewels** INVITED PICS ONLY! P1/C2 187,763 photos, 21,870 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,285 photos, 42,026 members
- Margaret Todd 2,181 photos, 233 members
DARRIN J. OAKLEY says:
"I AM THE FIRST? NO. CAN'T BE.
I WOULD LIKE TO JUST SAY, HOW KIND YOU ARE. I LIKE GETTING TO KNOW YOU THROUGH FLICKR.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY."
September 26th, 2007
- March 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken