Greetings and salutations! : )
What is there to say??? I was raised in the tiny little farming community of Eagle, Idaho, just outside the Boise city limits. I never really knew anything about anything outside of that sheltered little life. By 'little', I do not mean any disrespect toward my parents who always worked very hard to keep food on the table. I just never knew anything beyond that world or the world of the religion in which I was raised (being mormon).
I served a mormon mission (yes I was one of those world renowned missionaries) for two years in la Mission Suisse de Geneve from July '91-June'93 which served to open my eyes to new perspectives, having had the opportunity to live in Geneva, Vevey, Montreux, Lausanne, Sion, Fribourg, and Neuchatel Switzerland, as well as the french cities of St Etienne and Dijon. I still consider myself culturally mormon, but released any attachment I may have had with religion in general. I was taught as a kid, to ask the questions, 'where did I come from before I was born?','why am I here?','and where will i go when i die?'. I came to the monumental conclusion that I really don't care! I just want to live a quality life and perhaps help others along the way. Is it such a bad thing?
I had the opportunity to return to France in 2004-05 as an English assistant in the French public school system With my hubby Zach. I taught in the towns of Meylan and Corenc outside of Grenoble whilst living across the Isere from the porte de France in Grenoble. I've never been one for taking pictures really and refused to take many when living in Grenoble because I didn't want to come off as a tourist. But, that being said, something did click in me during my sejour that made me obsess about capturing every moment and sharing it with my family and friends back home.
Whilst in France, I decided to finish my undergrad (finally) and Zach wanted to return for his master's in public policy administration. Upon returning to the U.S. we stationed ourselves in the, ever so lovely, Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. It was at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst I was finally able to complete my degree in Resource Economics in May of '09. Western MA has proven to be quite an eye opener as well for a kid from the sparkling new state of ID. In the whole of the state I think the oldest non-native structure standing is the Sacred Heart Mission dating to the mid 19th century. The graveyard in Northampton, MA, where I now live, has stones dating to 1680 and houses dating from 1700. Needless to say, it is very different here.
Now we're getting to the purpose of my flickr obsession. My pictures aren't terribly interesting. I do try to take an artistic approach in much of what i do but rejoice in the simple and the ordinary. I do it for myself mainly, to catalog the things that I appreciate for being different than the things I know. Secondly, I do it for my family and friends back home, so they can see the things that I see and perhaps share in my intrigue of things different than those they know. Thirdly, if anyone else should find themselves curious about a total stranger who catalogs almost everything he sees (no matter how tedious it might seem to the general populace), they are welcome into my world. I enjoy scouring people's photostreams and taking in as much as I can from other regions of the world. Through discovering other people's worlds and perspectives I've found something I desperately want to integrate into my own photography, soul.
My technique and style are definitely a work in progress. I thank everyone who inspires me to push myself a step further and truly try to find the new perspective and art in real life.
Photos of corquey (2)
- Bella Morte (Beautiful Death) 11,418 photos, 1,219 members
- simple shoes 56 photos, 23 members
- Refrigerator Door Group 149 photos, 78 members
- windows & balconies lovers (read rules !) 88,760 photos, 5,870 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 270 photos, 199 members
- Classical Architecture to 1799 473 photos, 72 members
- Autumn in the Graveyard 7,815 photos, 709 members
- Welcome To My World (WTMW) 206,977 photos, 5,386 members
- 2014 GayOutdoors Photography Contest 25 photos, 265 members
- West Springfield, Massachusetts 421 photos, 22 members
- Autumn mood 3,177 photos, 109 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 474,868 photos, 40,360 members
- Old Salem, North Carolina 701 photos, 63 members
- Leeds 63,595 photos, 3,163 members
- peace, love and YELLOW 23,113 photos, 2,777 members
- Norwottuck Rail Trail 308 photos, 12 members
- gay art 7,573 photos, 1,358 members
- Playing with Food 365 photos, 45 members
- Play With Your Food 1,466 photos, 319 members
- ANGLES, ANGLES, ANGLES 112,360 photos, 3,659 members
- Fuck Homophobia 3,181 photos, 1,108 members
- "The Breakfast Club" 41,694 photos, 4,008 members
- 52 Weeks of "The one you love" 440 photos, 132 members
- Graves of American Revolution Veterans 529 photos, 65 members
- PLANET EARTH ARCHITECTURE 145,550 photos, 4,329 members
- Barns of New England 1,908 photos, 194 members
- Massachusetts Architecture 7,655 photos, 394 members
- Atherstone, Warwickshire 299 photos, 45 members
- Vatican City - The Holy See - Santa Sede 13,901 photos, 2,123 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,840 photos, 832 members
- Flying Heads 2,427 photos, 65 members
- Anything Boise 12,129 photos, 499 members
- Boise Weekly 7,724 photos, 356 members
- Bridges around the world 43,964 photos, 5,538 members
- Art Crochet 18,739 photos, 1,495 members
- Freeform Crochet 3,122 photos, 920 members
- Best Liberal Arts Colleges in America and Britain 1,687 photos, 68 members
- Grenoble 21,087 photos, 1,088 members
- Lyon 62,191 photos, 3,283 members
- Salem, Massachusetts 1,229 photos, 118 members
- Colonial Times and Places 3,004 photos, 223 members
- Dublin 63,787 photos, 3,758 members
- -Moody&Spooky- * Post 2, Comment 1 * 16,151 photos, 1,672 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Weekend Showcase *OPEN* 4,031,980 photos, 112,669 members
- Gay Rights Are Civil Rights 8,821 photos, 943 members
- Smith College 3,348 photos, 142 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 489,409 photos, 63,618 members
- **Brilliant~Eye~Jewels** INVITED PICS ONLY! P1/C2 189,474 photos, 21,825 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,787 photos, 42,011 members
- Margaret Todd 2,179 photos, 232 members
DARRIN J. OAKLEY says:
"I AM THE FIRST? NO. CAN'T BE.
I WOULD LIKE TO JUST SAY, HOW KIND YOU ARE. I LIKE GETTING TO KNOW YOU THROUGH FLICKR.
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY."
September 26th, 2007
- March 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken