“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” Anais Nin
Conquer the fear of the unfamiliar and of the unfathomable, and look below the surface to discover a world of serenity-inducing colour, entrancing light patterns of celestial beauty and deep, wonderful mystery.
My art emerges from a deep calling for the sea.
This was no easy calling, as the sea was originally a source of terror. Nonetheless, irresistibly drawn, I persisted until after several years I became able to look into the deep blue not only without fear, but in utter wonder.
I began taking pictures underwater in 2013, with a particular interest in wave flow-patterns, over-and-under seascapes, caustics, sparkles, reflections, solar flares, blurs and natural gradients from deep blue to darkness which point the unexplored vastness below the sea.
In 2015 Deep Sea Contemplation, a pairing of images with a poem by Friedrich Hölderlin, was the seminal project that paved the way for Deep Blue Cosmos (2016), a visual exploration of the similarities between outer space and the abyss: limitless and hostile wildernesses, light-studded spans of darkness, weightlessness, loss of spatial direction, immense and inexhaustible wonder.
This was followed by The Ocean Within (2017), a series of images primarily made using long exposures underwater (anima liquida and flight into the blue), a rarely used technique in underwater photography, and aiming at getting ever more intimate with the fluid essence of water.
More recently I published my work in a photobook entitled Poetics of Underwater, a neologism of my coining which, I feel, encapsulates to perfection this new field of artistic exploration and expression which has only been made possible by advances in technology in the most recent decades.
My work originates in, and represents, a state of complete and total immersion in perception and of being fully present in the moment, what some may call mindfulness, but which I prefer to call aesthetic contemplation.
Eyes closed, floating in the boundless blue expanse, the wonder of freediving is, in my view, largely due to the disappearance of visual boundaries and to the alterations of body perception due to weightlessness, resulting in a blurring of the habitual boundaries between self and non-self.
This is a beautifully vivid, liberating and blissful experience. It is the experience of being at one with the world, free of thought, undivided.
All my pictures are taken free diving, mostly off wild beaches in the South of France.
I’m French, living and working in Cannes and in London.
[ chxli refers to that monument of philosophy, Chapter XLI (41) of Schopenhauer's Second Volume of The World as Will and Representation, always present in my mind and soul, though of equal importance and perhaps even more so recently, is the poetic contemplation of our oneness with nature so beautifully expressed in Friedrich Hölderlin's Hyperion ]
To everyone who visits, faves or comments, my heartfelt thanks!
Poetics of Underwater photobook www.blurb.com/b/8903096-poetics-of-underwater
- Art Photography (Invite Only) 489 photos, 193 members
- Contemplative Photography 40,875 photos, 1,120 members
- *poetry of images 322,356 photos, 6,230 members
- iEyes 8,813 photos, 699 members
- Classic yacht sailing 5,667 photos, 496 members
- Sail 15,486 photos, 2,488 members
- Explore this! (ONLY EXPLORED PICS) 30,588 photos, 4,417 members
- Flickrology 20,093 photos, 2,020 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 17,291 photos, 1,934 members
- 50,000 Views Unlimited 50000 2,902 photos, 657 members
- french riviera, Nice, Monaco, Saint tropez..... 20,909 photos, 1,498 members
- LA COTE D'AZUR /please 1 comment ,no PEOPLE 19,469 photos, 1,218 members
- ! ***** Masterpieces ***** ! Mimimum 500 Faves 3,864 photos, 882 members
- White/Black 1,493,151 photos, 57,635 members
- Black & Whites Rule The World 2,782 photos, 9,061 members
- "Black and White Unlimited" 405,933 photos, 23,719 members
- Flickr Friday 41,157 photos, 41,678 members
- 10,000 Views Unlimited 10000 29,893 photos, 2,276 members
- Beautiful Realm (Admin. Invite) 23,879 photos, 1,300 members
- National Geographic Group 980,696 photos, 30,543 members
- Long Exposures 689,073 photos, 45,698 members
- Water, water, water 553,736 photos, 20,937 members
- Your Best Shot 2017 5,865 photos, 7,607 members
- Flickr Heroes 132,042 photos, 13,348 members
- Classic Sailing's - Tall Ships and Traditional Vessels 29,362 photos, 3,343 members
- Momentos para no olvidar 727,138 photos, 9,951 members
- The best of world picture 1,472,376 photos, 32,433 members
- Nikon D5300 Group 110,951 photos, 5,359 members
- Nocturnes 36,889 photos, 1,377 members
- Nocturnes - Night Photography 431,357 photos, 24,245 members
- Painterly 90,087 photos, 2,658 members
- Rocks & Water 86,388 photos, 6,021 members
- Blurred Boundaries 9,419 photos, 461 members
- Holland Park, W11 436 photos, 62 members
- PLANET ANIMAL (animal planet) 233,495 photos, 4,666 members
- Ten - A Curated Explore 1,349 photos, 700 members
- Flickr's 100 Best 96 photos, 11,983 members
- flickr (unofficial) 6,653,461 photos, 120,369 members
- Beauty of Water 129,216 photos, 3,963 members
- 20000 VIEWS 6,172 photos, 1,083 members
- Over 10000 Views 20,165 photos, 1,933 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - The ORIGINAL 49,420 photos, 4,582 members
- Abstract Impressions 115,797 photos, 8,635 members
- Deliberate Motion Blur: The Best of the Movers and Shakers! 23,473 photos, 3,079 members
- Abstract movements 8,812 photos, 731 members
- Water Abstracts 3,963 photos, 2,290 members
- Nature 4,292,317 photos, 114,914 members
- L'eau - Water 52,757 photos, 1,686 members
- FLICKR NATURE 4,416,817 photos, 71,383 members
- Sea & Ocean Beauty 43,368 photos, 2,887 members
- Poetic heights 9 photos
- I wish I were there... and other special moments of beauty 18 photos
chxli doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- March 2015
- I am:
- Female and Taken