All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
Available in Print!:
Isn't having a book nice? Buy this. Make me rich! I'm getting close to retirement!
I'm posting older, black and white photos taken in the 1970's and (eventually) the early 80's here;
They're the result of scanning unorganized negatives from that period, so they appear only gradually. Stuff I like by other people I put here:
And I put stuff I shoot with my phone, when it seems especially phone-like, here:
Be sure to check out the Vivo photography collective, as well:
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Most (but not very) recent:
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
- March for Science 3,499 photos, 152 members
- Street & Repeat - 106 1,642 photos, 731 members
- Awful Nice Street Photography 601 photos, 1,033 members
- Street hard 74 photos, 218 members
- Street photography - Reflection, abstraction, distortion. 129 photos, 925 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 925 photos, 56 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,998 photos, 993 members
- One face 177 photos, 212 members
- Poke My Eyes 328 photos, 638 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 06 100 photos, 115 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,530 photos, 240 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 4,599 photos, 117 members
- Hands 193 photos, 452 members
- ᶜ ᵒ ᵘ ⁿ ᵗ ᵉ ⁿ ᵃ ⁿ ᶜ ᵉ 7,655 photos, 1,085 members
- Concept street 199 photos, 556 members
- The world is a street 748 photos, 1,462 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 936 photos, 1,570 members
- www.street-photographers.com 244 photos, 4,561 members
- `Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 155,501 photos, 3,808 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,853 photos, 19,738 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 412 photos, 310 members
- Digital Psychography 7,677 photos, 86 members
- Third Dimension 207 photos, 382 members
- Small Growers Street Association 267 photos, 1,122 members
- Photoshop Support Group 325,888 photos, 35,980 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 7,125 photos, 653 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 120 photos, 144 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 862 photos, 576 members
- F13 382 photos, 124 members
- The Sandman Cometh 802 photos, 345 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 582 photos, 2,718 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 674 photos, 884 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 998 photos, 342 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 9,432 photos, 331 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,795 photos, 599 members
- Figurations de l'absence 245 photos, 181 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,133 photos, 474 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 70,248 photos, 1,388 members
- Original 1970s 13,885 photos, 1,474 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 30,773 photos, 2,082 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 19,006 photos, 5,196 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 38 photos, 64 members
- Documents.02 0 photos, 78 members
- Museumgoers 13,734 photos, 3,593 members
- American Elegy 23,159 photos, 578 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 3,925 photos, 4,188 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 338 photos, 487 members
- Instruction #27 212 photos, 324 members
- Persons taking pictures 368 photos, 42 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 984 photos, 792 members
"The C-Patch once wrote me a 'Testimonial'
See here and scroll
C-Patch The Man
May 29th, 2016
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
December 8th, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
June 3rd, 2010
perFect slackR says:
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
October 21st, 2009
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
October 19th, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
September 21st, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
November 23rd, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
June 21st, 2008
December 28th, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
September 1st, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
December 9th, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
June 2nd, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken