All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
Available in Print!:
Isn't having a book nice? Buy this. Make me rich! I'm getting close to retirement!
I'm posting older, black and white photos taken in the 1970's and (eventually) the early 80's here;
They're the result of scanning unorganized negatives from that period, so they appear only gradually. Stuff I like by other people I put here:
And I put stuff I shoot with my phone, when it seems especially phone-like, here:
Be sure to check out the Vivo photography collective, as well:
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Most (but not very) recent:
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
- March for Science 3,474 photos, 151 members
- Street & Repeat - 106 1,622 photos, 716 members
- Awful Nice Street Photography 593 photos, 1,056 members
- Street hard 72 photos, 218 members
- Street photography - Reflection, abstraction, distortion. 125 photos, 914 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 928 photos, 54 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,964 photos, 987 members
- One face 173 photos, 209 members
- Poke My Eyes 325 photos, 639 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 06 99 photos, 113 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,522 photos, 239 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 4,848 photos, 120 members
- Hands 201 photos, 462 members
- ᶜ ᵒ ᵘ ⁿ ᵗ ᵉ ⁿ ᵃ ⁿ ᶜ ᵉ 7,455 photos, 1,083 members
- Concept street 184 photos, 565 members
- The world is a street 741 photos, 1,460 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 926 photos, 1,580 members
- www.street-photographers.com 238 photos, 4,503 members
- `Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 159,895 photos, 3,915 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,860 photos, 19,825 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 409 photos, 314 members
- Digital Psychography 7,977 photos, 97 members
- Third Dimension 205 photos, 384 members
- Small Growers Street Association 266 photos, 1,128 members
- Photoshop Support Group 326,053 photos, 35,746 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 7,055 photos, 648 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 119 photos, 144 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 847 photos, 569 members
- F13 369 photos, 126 members
- The Sandman Cometh 817 photos, 367 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 573 photos, 2,745 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 659 photos, 876 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 1,060 photos, 343 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 9,774 photos, 342 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,749 photos, 607 members
- Figurations de l'absence 241 photos, 179 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,124 photos, 475 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 72,381 photos, 1,437 members
- Original 1970s 14,686 photos, 1,516 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 30,604 photos, 2,063 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 18,900 photos, 5,208 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 36 photos, 63 members
- Documents.02 0 photos, 78 members
- Museumgoers 14,208 photos, 3,610 members
- American Elegy 21,530 photos, 573 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 3,862 photos, 4,199 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 323 photos, 485 members
- Instruction #27 209 photos, 321 members
- Persons taking pictures 368 photos, 41 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 979 photos, 783 members
abounding stitch says:
"The C-Patch once wrote me a 'Testimonial'
See here and scroll
C-Patch The Man
May 29th, 2016
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
December 8th, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
June 3rd, 2010
perFect slackR says:
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
October 21st, 2009
uncovered history says:
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
October 19th, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
September 21st, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
November 23rd, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
June 21st, 2008
December 28th, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
September 1st, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
December 9th, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
June 2nd, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken