All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
I'm posting older, black and white photos taken in the 1970's and (eventually) the early 80's here;
They're the result of scanning unorganized negatives from that period, so they appear only gradually. Stuff I like by other people I put here:
And I put stuff I shoot with my phone, when it seems especially phone-like, here:
Be sure to check out the Vivo photography collective, as well:
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Most (but not very) recent:
Available in Print:
La Pura Vida, Issue 1
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
I know it's cheesy, but I love all these free widgets you can plug in:
- Awful Nice Street Photography 117 photos, 302 members
- Street hard 50 photos, 163 members
- skinny black dog 257 photos, 211 members
- Street photography - Reflection, abstraction, distortion. 155 photos, 915 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 601 photos, 54 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,797 photos, 826 members
- One face 177 photos, 190 members
- Poke My Eyes 311 photos, 417 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 06 108 photos, 127 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,421 photos, 242 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,487 photos, 105 members
- Hands 143 photos, 370 members
- ᶜ ᵒ ᵘ ⁿ ᵗ ᵉ ⁿ ᵃ ⁿ ᶜ ᵉ 7,569 photos, 974 members
- Concept street 192 photos, 461 members
- The world is a street 685 photos, 1,127 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 1,007 photos, 1,412 members
- www.street-photographers.com 263 photos, 4,604 members
- Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 95,962 photos, 2,667 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,744 photos, 18,133 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 428 photos, 295 members
- Digital Psychography 6,245 photos, 93 members
- Third Dimension 203 photos, 323 members
- Small Growers Street Association 300 photos, 932 members
- Photoshop Support Group 277,895 photos, 34,618 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 6,713 photos, 642 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 128 photos, 150 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 910 photos, 587 members
- F13 510 photos, 128 members
- The Sandman Cometh 664 photos, 278 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 620 photos, 2,439 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 716 photos, 873 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 727 photos, 285 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 7,393 photos, 272 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,937 photos, 502 members
- Figurations de l'absence 274 photos, 197 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,242 photos, 464 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 48,513 photos, 1,097 members
- Original 1970s 10,870 photos, 1,277 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 26,021 photos, 2,060 members
- Phenomenology 16,400 photos, 2,921 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 18,594 photos, 4,844 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 34 photos, 66 members
- Documents.02 0 photos, 82 members
- museum watchers watching 11,320 photos, 3,447 members
- American Elegy 23,598 photos, 559 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 4,041 photos, 4,089 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 365 photos, 481 members
- Instruction #27 222 photos, 333 members
- Persons taking pictures 246 photos, 39 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 1,000 photos, 817 members
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
December 8th, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
June 3rd, 2010
perFect slackR says:
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
October 21st, 2009
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
October 19th, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
September 21st, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
November 23rd, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
June 21st, 2008
December 28th, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
September 1st, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
December 9th, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
June 2nd, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken