All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
Available in Print!:
Isn't having a book nice? Buy this. Make me rich! I'm getting close to retirement!
I'm posting older, black and white photos taken in the 1970's and (eventually) the early 80's here;
They're the result of scanning unorganized negatives from that period, so they appear only gradually. Stuff I like by other people I put here:
And I put stuff I shoot with my phone, when it seems especially phone-like, here:
Be sure to check out the Vivo photography collective, as well:
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Most (but not very) recent:
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
- Street & Repeat - 106 1,361 photos, 731 members
- Awful Nice Street Photography 439 photos, 734 members
- Street hard 58 photos, 192 members
- skinny black dog 329 photos, 223 members
- Street photography - Reflection, abstraction, distortion. 148 photos, 932 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 806 photos, 53 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 2,047 photos, 946 members
- One face 179 photos, 204 members
- Poke My Eyes 312 photos, 516 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 06 105 photos, 119 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,686 photos, 246 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 4,019 photos, 113 members
- Hands 165 photos, 402 members
- ᶜ ᵒ ᵘ ⁿ ᵗ ᵉ ⁿ ᵃ ⁿ ᶜ ᵉ 7,952 photos, 1,051 members
- Concept street 195 photos, 514 members
- The world is a street 750 photos, 1,301 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 902 photos, 1,473 members
- www.street-photographers.com 250 photos, 4,609 members
- Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 120,203 photos, 3,231 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,731 photos, 18,868 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 436 photos, 307 members
- Digital Psychography 7,139 photos, 91 members
- Third Dimension 201 photos, 333 members
- Small Growers Street Association 307 photos, 1,001 members
- Photoshop Support Group 305,661 photos, 35,110 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 7,140 photos, 640 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 124 photos, 148 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 913 photos, 583 members
- F13 468 photos, 127 members
- The Sandman Cometh 723 photos, 293 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 593 photos, 2,603 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 703 photos, 881 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 803 photos, 298 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 8,207 photos, 300 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,865 photos, 555 members
- Figurations de l'absence 259 photos, 192 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,214 photos, 474 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 57,603 photos, 1,205 members
- Original 1970s 12,306 photos, 1,354 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 29,145 photos, 2,099 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 18,742 photos, 5,044 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 34 photos, 65 members
- Documents.02 0 photos, 79 members
- Museumgoers 12,175 photos, 3,524 members
- American Elegy 23,503 photos, 562 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 3,978 photos, 4,155 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 351 photos, 481 members
- Instruction #27 217 photos, 329 members
- Persons taking pictures 319 photos, 41 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 993 photos, 807 members
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
December 8th, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
June 3rd, 2010
perFect slackR says:
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
October 21st, 2009
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
October 19th, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
September 21st, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
November 23rd, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
June 21st, 2008
December 28th, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
September 1st, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
December 9th, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
June 2nd, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken