All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
I'm posting older, black and white photos taken in the 1970's and (eventually) the early 80's here;
They're the result of scanning unorganized negatives from that period, so they appear only gradually. Stuff I like by other people I put here:
And I put stuff I shoot with my phone, when it seems especially phone-like, here:
Be sure to check out the Vivo photography collective, as well:
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Most (but not very) recent:
Available in Print:
La Pura Vida, Issue 1
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
I know it's cheesy, but I love all these free widgets you can plug in:
- Street & Repeat - 106 914 photos, 648 members
- Awful Nice Street Photography 410 photos, 674 members
- Street hard 63 photos, 194 members
- skinny black dog 311 photos, 219 members
- Street photography - Reflection, abstraction, distortion. 150 photos, 939 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 778 photos, 54 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 2,038 photos, 922 members
- One face 180 photos, 199 members
- .oO Bill Dane TREASURE Gallery 1,129 photos, 242 members
- Poke My Eyes 312 photos, 498 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 06 107 photos, 121 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,701 photos, 247 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,909 photos, 113 members
- Hands 154 photos, 388 members
- ᶜ ᵒ ᵘ ⁿ ᵗ ᵉ ⁿ ᵃ ⁿ ᶜ ᵉ 7,886 photos, 1,028 members
- Concept street 199 photos, 509 members
- The world is a street 730 photos, 1,270 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 912 photos, 1,458 members
- www.street-photographers.com 255 photos, 4,615 members
- Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 113,239 photos, 3,126 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,696 photos, 18,660 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 435 photos, 308 members
- Digital Psychography 6,905 photos, 91 members
- Third Dimension 201 photos, 329 members
- Small Growers Street Association 304 photos, 984 members
- Photoshop Support Group 298,763 photos, 35,014 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 6,970 photos, 652 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 125 photos, 148 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 913 photos, 585 members
- F13 483 photos, 127 members
- The Sandman Cometh 711 photos, 293 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 604 photos, 2,582 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 706 photos, 885 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 796 photos, 294 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 8,024 photos, 298 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,883 photos, 542 members
- Figurations de l'absence 259 photos, 192 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,214 photos, 472 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 55,348 photos, 1,189 members
- Original 1970s 12,006 photos, 1,334 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 28,401 photos, 2,090 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 18,667 photos, 4,990 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 34 photos, 66 members
- Documents.02 0 photos, 80 members
- Museumgoers 11,978 photos, 3,509 members
- American Elegy 23,551 photos, 564 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 3,989 photos, 4,154 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 362 photos, 477 members
- Instruction #27 218 photos, 330 members
- Persons taking pictures 308 photos, 42 members
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
December 8th, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
June 3rd, 2010
perFect slackR says:
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
October 21st, 2009
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
October 19th, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
September 21st, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
November 23rd, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
June 21st, 2008
December 28th, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
September 1st, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
December 9th, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
June 2nd, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken