All images here are copyrighted. Creative Commons licensors: please credit images to Chuck Patch, not chuckp
I'm posting older, black and white photos taken in the 1970's and (eventually) the early 80's here;
They're the result of scanning unorganized negatives from that period, so they appear only gradually. Stuff I like by other people I put here:
And I put stuff I shoot with my phone, when it seems especially phone-like, here:
This site has two hidden components. The first consists of the old stuff, largely contained in the Old Silver collection, which was scanned from prints made between about 1972 and 1990. The second is composed of pictures taken after 2003, some born digital but most scanned from 35mm negatives. The first component is much tighter, having been culled from about 18 years’ worth of shooting. The second much larger and growing portion is less focused and more constrained, largely the result of lunchtime walks. The quality of most of the recent scans is indifferent - batch produced on a flatbed that can't really do justice to the camera's optics. Almost none of these recent images have been printed.
Most (but not very) recent:
Available in Print:
La Pura Vida, Issue 1
Back when he wasn't yet a famous guy, Michael David Murphy interviewed me on 2point8:
Here are a few of the other fractions of my 15 minutes:
Regards sur la Nouvelle Orleans / Visions of New Orleans
I know it's cheesy, but I love all these free widgets you can plug in:
- skinny black dog 106 photos, 173 members
- Street photography - Reflection, abstraction, distortion. 151 photos, 796 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 306 photos, 56 members
- ᄽ New Landscape Stories 1,238 photos, 607 members
- One face 106 photos, 154 members
- Poke My Eyes 292 photos, 319 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 06 109 photos, 135 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 2,662 photos, 217 members
- Residential typologies: world wide 3,367 photos, 103 members
- Hands 117 photos, 339 members
- ᶜ ᵒ ᵘ ⁿ ᵗ ᵉ ⁿ ᵃ ⁿ ᶜ ᵉ 7,224 photos, 894 members
- Concept street 139 photos, 388 members
- The world is a street 651 photos, 944 members
- Don't Be A Lemming 961 photos, 1,282 members
- www.street-photographers.com 267 photos, 4,584 members
- Street Photography - Fotografia di Strada 71,066 photos, 2,143 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 4,266 photos, 17,293 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 423 photos, 292 members
- Digital Psychography 5,281 photos, 98 members
- Third Dimension 173 photos, 268 members
- Small Growers Street Association 287 photos, 888 members
- Photoshop Support Group 252,243 photos, 34,024 members
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shots 5,705 photos, 594 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 25 129 photos, 155 members
- domestic spaces/human traces 911 photos, 598 members
- F13 414 photos, 127 members
- The Sandman Cometh 523 photos, 235 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 606 photos, 2,155 members
- Smell the streets(STS) 724 photos, 859 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 577 photos, 234 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 6,933 photos, 248 members
- - Me, Myself and I - 1,941 photos, 421 members
- Figurations de l'absence 263 photos, 192 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,301 photos, 429 members
- sub/urbanscape place. 40,954 photos, 932 members
- Original 1970s 10,024 photos, 1,221 members
- PSYCHEDELIC WOLFPACK 23,913 photos, 1,999 members
- Phenomenology 15,042 photos, 2,470 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 18,238 photos, 4,592 members
- Maryland Photo Rights 27 photos, 67 members
- Documents.02 0 photos, 83 members
- museum watchers watching 10,540 photos, 3,317 members
- American Elegy 23,757 photos, 546 members
- across the street: minimalist street photography 4,099 photos, 3,984 members
- Flâneurs et Flâneuses 368 photos, 447 members
- Instruction #27 223 photos, 340 members
- Persons taking pictures 244 photos, 37 members
- Facing the Lens: Portraits of Photographers 1,013 photos, 825 members
- m a d e i n p u b l i c 15 photos, 47 members
- Upgrade to Film 191,086 photos, 3,056 members
Vasilikos Lukas says:
"one of the best photographers here on flickr!!!"
December 8th, 2012
Chuck is very modest about his work, but it truly is a great achievement. He is an amazing and inspiring classic street photographer. His images capture ordinary moments that have an impressive sense of depth that just get better with time. After seeing his images here and there, I took the time one night to look at his entire stream and what a great experience that was. There is a lot to be enjoyed here and I'm so glad he has shared his work with all of us."
June 3rd, 2010
perFect slackR says:
"Chuck is really a documentarian at heart, and a gifted photographer. His photographs are testimonials to his time from his vantage point. It is so important to preserve our unique experiences so the others may draw upon them and see a more complete picture. Chuck does that and much more. Now, how bout that beer in New Orleans?"
October 21st, 2009
"rarely do I find a photographer who's 50 best shots really are a pleasure to watch. they made me laugh and made me think. I don't write many testimonials because I don't find much to write about.
October 19th, 2009
"Chuck often makes me chuckle, but more than that... he's one of those quiet yet careful photographers that has been obsessively doing this thing, his thing, for years, for decades. Doing it. While he is humble, he's got fans, to be sure... There are few photographers (either then or now) whose constantly growing, evolving vision, with street smarts & a subtle, candid oeuvre have a patch on his or on him: namely, Chuck Patch."
September 21st, 2009
Paul Russell99 says:
"Great photographer, all-round clever yet modest chap, under-16 World Frisbee finalist, expert cheesemaker, Louisiana slimmer of the year (1977), and psychic clairvoyant to the stars.
Actually, I need to check up on some of those, but the first two are definitely correct."
November 23rd, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"A masterful photographer....
Did I say I want to shoot like Chuck?"
June 21st, 2008
December 28th, 2007
"Chuck has been consistently brilliant over many years, especially this last year despite the havoc he has had to contend with."
September 1st, 2006
John Brownlow says:
"Chuck flat out rocks. It's a huge pleasure to see a stream of his photos emerging from the wreckage of Katrina. One of the few photographers working the streets traditionally whose work really does it for me."
December 9th, 2005
"Chuck is one of those photographers that you cannot help but want to be like. His shots have shown me life in America as much as Winogrand did. I am serious, this man is a HUGE talent and I hope I can shoot like him some day."
June 2nd, 2005
- Chuck Patch
- November 2004
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Street Photographers