The photos here are a record of my life, the places I go to, the people I meet and see and the experiences I am having. Many times, the photos accompany and illustrate the blog which I maintain - charlesfred.blogspot.com
I am very lucky to be able to travel as often and as widely as I do and it gives me great pleasure to share what I have seen with a wider audience here on Flickr. I tend to concentrate on positive, colourful images, often of people and I like to think of my photos as an antidote to the images often presented of places and people in the mainstream media.
You are especially invited to view the sets of photos taken during the six month journey I made with my partner, Fred, through the Middle East, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa during the latter part of 2005, this being the original reason for setting up the flickr account .
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to browse through my photostream, leave comments or favourited various photos. Much appreciated.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
- Latakia 432 photos, 64 members
- Hats off to Hats! 42,660 photos, 4,226 members
- Oman 23,384 photos, 1,095 members
- poesia maschile - virile poetry 13,098 photos, 776 members
- Your summer holiday in pictures 503 photos, 157 members
- Shamelessly Shirtless 19,751 photos, 2,878 members
- YELLOW AND GREY/GRAY 1,698 photos, 115 members
- ماضينا الــــعريــق وتــراث اجـــ 6,180 photos, 3,097 members
- »|| Arab Flickr - الفلكر العربي ||« 66,985 photos, 5,682 members
- Architecture 1,860,194 photos, 103,912 members
- Saudi core of the world 23,455 photos, 2,489 members
- Saudi Flickr ♥ فلكر السعودية 41,822 photos, 5,888 members
- Somalia 455 photos, 93 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 74 photos, 357 members
- Tabarca e Tabarchini 70 photos, 44 members
- Riyadh (Ar-Riyad) 4,942 photos, 443 members
- Bulgaria 43,172 photos, 2,565 members
- BBC Eurovision 461 photos, 39 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 1,134 photos, 586 members
- La Belle Epoque ca.1890 - ca.1914 incl. ArtDeco and ArtNouveau 15,418 photos, 1,311 members
- Somali People 1,471 photos, 223 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,538 photos, 814 members
- Fotografi del mondo (high-quality photographs) 31,703 photos, 1,027 members
- Amsterdam livingrooms 452 photos, 208 members
- Just walking 38,336 photos, 2,096 members
- trot and gallop 22,070 photos, 649 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 5,824 photos, 608 members
- Albania 12,397 photos, 739 members
- ArabWorld 1,062 photos, 213 members
- Being Male 23,139 photos, 1,373 members
- Natural Syria 1,141 photos, 111 members
- I was in Turkey 21,165 photos, 1,482 members
- Ivy Invasion 2,799 photos, 718 members
- Tunnel Vision 16,147 photos, 2,758 members
- Anonymous guys 22,555 photos, 2,574 members
- Bus Stops Here 17,605 photos, 528 members
- Kosova 5,866 photos, 354 members
- Balkans 43,716 photos, 2,487 members
- Newborn Kosova 241 photos, 83 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,102 photos, 2,518 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,491 photos, 436 members
- Men of Turkey 753 photos, 1,566 members
- Eurovision Song Contest 2,336 photos, 150 members
- FlickrAntep 152 photos, 29 members
- National Hunt Racing 3,210 photos, 132 members
- Green is Beautiful 796,066 photos, 91,634 members
- Real Istanbul 4,398 photos, 778 members
- Clash City Snappers 3,072 photos, 578 members
- English lads 953 photos, 855 members
- Photo Kaleidoscope (award any 2 photos from the pool) 19,605 photos, 889 members
"I love Charles' stream. It has got everything, awesome people, cute kids, kissable goat kids and sheep and donkeys and awesome orange stuff and amazing totally not run of the mill pics of places, lovely Masjids and loads of other great stuff. I love the way he lets us see all the different aspects of a place. He takes this seriously in a fun kind of a way.
I want to be able to take pics like him. A great friend. Will love to meet him one day."
June 14th, 2011
"CharlesFred was one of my earliest Flickr contacts. His photostream is large and diverse. It shows us places that are often off the main tourist paths and introduces us to the people that live there with a true sensitivity. His photos are informative and from the heart."
November 11th, 2009
"CharlesFred encompasses all that is best in a photographer. His eye for detail and technical expertise is unsurpassed, giving his pictures a sharp and vibrant look. However, it is the humanity revealed in his photographs that makes all the difference. It is obvious that the subjects he photographs are people he interacted with, and built up trust with. It is obvious that he has a gift with people as well as with photography."
August 27th, 2008
"Wow, I don't even know where to start! More than just aesthetically amazing, Charles' photos are like a powerful political exclamation mark - "Look here! Look at the world! Look what's REALLY going on!" He captures rare beauty that we rarely see on the news and those beautifully sad moments that depict the human spirit against all odds. I am so so so so inspired!
March 2nd, 2008
"Charles is a really great guy, always interested in others. He's a world traveller - either on his own or together with Fred and makes beautiful photos of his adventures. I often look at his picture sets, because they're really worth looking at. Charles, keep it up!
Charles is een hele fijne vent. Altijd even belangstellend. Hij maakt vele reizen, dit doet hij alleen of samen met Fred, en maakt daar prachtige foto reportages van. Ik bekijk altijd meerdere keren zijn sets, omdat dit de moeite waard is. Charles blijf lekker zo door gaan."
April 21st, 2007
"I love Charles' works. He has a talent to pick up the interestingness of such a normal scene, normal event.
There are many flickrs who posted only their beuaitful works but Charles works are different. he seems to post many of photos he got travelling on. so you feel like travelling with him just looking at his photos. And those photos that he post they are all interesting.
I also love his Namibia and Afriacan sets alot. I will definitely need to come back and fav alot of photos later, now that i have no high speed net yet hehe"
February 22nd, 2007
social renegade says:
"He is an unusual British man, not always conventional and with a peculiar sense of humour. Extraordinarily clever, friendly .... and with a temperament, also handsome......it seems. But his actual strength is in his eyes when scanning something for a shoot. His eyes and his camera. All this together develop a superlative chemical reaction, and the result is "UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS"
When I look at his pictures I can feel the same emotion, like being there and living the same experience. Excellent colours and compositions, amazing places .... and people, just like being there with him. Thank you Charles, for sharing all this with us."
August 31st, 2006
- Charles Roffey
- July 2005
- Living in Amsterdam, traveling widely
- I am: