The photos here are a record of my life, the places I go to, the people I meet and see and the experiences I am having. Many times, the photos accompany and illustrate the blog which I maintain - charlesfred.blogspot.com
I am very lucky to be able to travel as often and as widely as I do and it gives me great pleasure to share what I have seen with a wider audience here on Flickr. I tend to concentrate on positive, colourful images, often of people and I like to think of my photos as an antidote to the images often presented of places and people in the mainstream media.
You are especially invited to view the sets of photos taken during the six month journey I made with my partner, Fred, through the Middle East, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa during the latter part of 2005, this being the original reason for setting up the flickr account .
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to browse through my photostream, leave comments or favourited various photos. Much appreciated.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
- Latakia 432 photos, 63 members
- Hats off to Hats! 42,171 photos, 4,219 members
- Oman 23,418 photos, 1,080 members
- poesia maschile - virile poetry 12,874 photos, 774 members
- Your summer holiday in pictures 509 photos, 157 members
- Shamelessly Shirtless 18,015 photos, 2,864 members
- YELLOW AND GREY/GRAY 1,728 photos, 114 members
- ماضينا الــــعريــق وتــراث اجـــ 6,816 photos, 3,097 members
- »|| Arab Flickr - الفلكر العربي ||« 66,825 photos, 5,665 members
- Architecture 1,864,904 photos, 103,386 members
- Saudi core of the world 24,040 photos, 2,489 members
- Saudi Flickr ♥ فلكر السعودية 42,184 photos, 5,893 members
- Somalia 485 photos, 91 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 74 photos, 359 members
- Tabarca e Tabarchini 72 photos, 45 members
- Riyadh (Ar-Riyad) 4,933 photos, 432 members
- Bulgaria 42,249 photos, 2,519 members
- BBC Eurovision 461 photos, 39 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 1,114 photos, 589 members
- La Belle Epoque ca.1890 - ca.1914 incl. ArtDeco and ArtNouveau 16,335 photos, 1,308 members
- Somali People 1,476 photos, 220 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,577 photos, 817 members
- Fotografi del mondo (high-quality photographs) 32,282 photos, 1,032 members
- Amsterdam livingrooms 411 photos, 205 members
- Just walking 36,997 photos, 2,000 members
- trot and gallop 21,723 photos, 639 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 5,797 photos, 607 members
- Albania 11,939 photos, 724 members
- ArabWorld 1,060 photos, 214 members
- Being Male 20,479 photos, 1,319 members
- Natural Syria 1,145 photos, 113 members
- I was in Turkey 20,256 photos, 1,472 members
- Ivy Invasion 2,831 photos, 718 members
- Tunnel Vision 15,771 photos, 2,719 members
- Anonymous guys 20,783 photos, 2,498 members
- Bus Stops Here 17,949 photos, 527 members
- Kosova 5,871 photos, 355 members
- Balkans 42,855 photos, 2,439 members
- Newborn Kosova 241 photos, 83 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,162 photos, 2,533 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,456 photos, 434 members
- Men of Turkey 759 photos, 1,543 members
- Eurovision Song Contest 2,198 photos, 151 members
- FlickrAntep 146 photos, 29 members
- National Hunt Racing 3,219 photos, 127 members
- Green is Beautiful 803,979 photos, 91,489 members
- Real Istanbul 4,538 photos, 781 members
- Clash City Snappers 3,064 photos, 582 members
- English lads 938 photos, 839 members
- Photo Kaleidoscope (award any 2 photos from the pool) 19,811 photos, 889 members
"I love Charles' stream. It has got everything, awesome people, cute kids, kissable goat kids and sheep and donkeys and awesome orange stuff and amazing totally not run of the mill pics of places, lovely Masjids and loads of other great stuff. I love the way he lets us see all the different aspects of a place. He takes this seriously in a fun kind of a way.
I want to be able to take pics like him. A great friend. Will love to meet him one day."
June 14th, 2011
"CharlesFred was one of my earliest Flickr contacts. His photostream is large and diverse. It shows us places that are often off the main tourist paths and introduces us to the people that live there with a true sensitivity. His photos are informative and from the heart."
November 11th, 2009
"CharlesFred encompasses all that is best in a photographer. His eye for detail and technical expertise is unsurpassed, giving his pictures a sharp and vibrant look. However, it is the humanity revealed in his photographs that makes all the difference. It is obvious that the subjects he photographs are people he interacted with, and built up trust with. It is obvious that he has a gift with people as well as with photography."
August 27th, 2008
"Wow, I don't even know where to start! More than just aesthetically amazing, Charles' photos are like a powerful political exclamation mark - "Look here! Look at the world! Look what's REALLY going on!" He captures rare beauty that we rarely see on the news and those beautifully sad moments that depict the human spirit against all odds. I am so so so so inspired!
March 2nd, 2008
"Charles is a really great guy, always interested in others. He's a world traveller - either on his own or together with Fred and makes beautiful photos of his adventures. I often look at his picture sets, because they're really worth looking at. Charles, keep it up!
Charles is een hele fijne vent. Altijd even belangstellend. Hij maakt vele reizen, dit doet hij alleen of samen met Fred, en maakt daar prachtige foto reportages van. Ik bekijk altijd meerdere keren zijn sets, omdat dit de moeite waard is. Charles blijf lekker zo door gaan."
April 21st, 2007
"I love Charles' works. He has a talent to pick up the interestingness of such a normal scene, normal event.
There are many flickrs who posted only their beuaitful works but Charles works are different. he seems to post many of photos he got travelling on. so you feel like travelling with him just looking at his photos. And those photos that he post they are all interesting.
I also love his Namibia and Afriacan sets alot. I will definitely need to come back and fav alot of photos later, now that i have no high speed net yet hehe"
February 22nd, 2007
social renegade says:
"He is an unusual British man, not always conventional and with a peculiar sense of humour. Extraordinarily clever, friendly .... and with a temperament, also handsome......it seems. But his actual strength is in his eyes when scanning something for a shoot. His eyes and his camera. All this together develop a superlative chemical reaction, and the result is "UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS"
When I look at his pictures I can feel the same emotion, like being there and living the same experience. Excellent colours and compositions, amazing places .... and people, just like being there with him. Thank you Charles, for sharing all this with us."
August 31st, 2006
- Charles Roffey
- July 2005
- Living in Amsterdam, traveling widely
- I am: