The photos here are a record of my life, the places I go to, the people I meet and see and the experiences I am having. Many times, the photos accompany and illustrate the blog which I maintain - charlesfred.blogspot.com
I am very lucky to be able to travel as often and as widely as I do and it gives me great pleasure to share what I have seen with a wider audience here on Flickr. I tend to concentrate on positive, colourful images, often of people and I like to think of my photos as an antidote to the images often presented of places and people in the mainstream media.
You are especially invited to view the sets of photos taken during the six month journey I made with my partner, Fred, through the Middle East, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa during the latter part of 2005, this being the original reason for setting up the flickr account .
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to browse through my photostream, leave comments or favourited various photos. Much appreciated.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
- Oman 16,289 photos, 865 members
- poesia maschile - virile poetry 7,498 photos, 589 members
- Your summer holiday in pictures 519 photos, 161 members
- Shamelessly Shirtless 13,140 photos, 2,649 members
- YELLOW AND GREY/GRAY 1,684 photos, 111 members
- ماضينا الــــعريــق وتــراث اجـــ 5,143 photos, 3,116 members
- »|| Arab Flickr - الفلكر العربي ||« 54,559 photos, 5,299 members
- Architecture 1,327,100 photos, 77,772 members
- Saudi core of the world 22,156 photos, 2,471 members
- Saudi Flickr ♥ فلكر السعودية 43,014 photos, 5,778 members
- Somalia 453 photos, 69 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 112 photos, 361 members
- Tabarca e Tabarchini 79 photos, 45 members
- Riyadh (Ar-Riyad) 3,700 photos, 371 members
- Bulgaria 23,857 photos, 1,749 members
- BBC Eurovision 429 photos, 31 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 957 photos, 580 members
- La Belle Epoque ca.1890 - ca.1914 incl. ArtDeco and ArtNouveau 16,624 photos, 1,256 members
- Somali People 1,513 photos, 180 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,801 photos, 844 members
- Fotografi del mondo (high-quality photographs) 21,236 photos, 1,043 members
- Amsterdam livingrooms 390 photos, 174 members
- Just walking 26,219 photos, 1,591 members
- trot and gallop 17,224 photos, 530 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 4,732 photos, 550 members
- Albania 9,322 photos, 626 members
- ArabWorld 1,047 photos, 204 members
- Being Male 10,118 photos, 978 members
- Natural Syria 898 photos, 109 members
- I was in Turkey 13,596 photos, 1,145 members
- Ivy Invasion 2,448 photos, 680 members
- Tunnel Vision 9,469 photos, 2,032 members
- wheelchairs 10,031 photos, 2,018 members
- Anonymous guys 10,916 photos, 1,930 members
- Bus Stops Here 8,889 photos, 468 members
- Kosova 5,372 photos, 326 members
- Balkans 23,714 photos, 1,713 members
- Newborn Kosova 207 photos, 76 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,208 photos, 2,539 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,606 photos, 350 members
- Men of Turkey 941 photos, 1,290 members
- Eurovision Song Contest 2,080 photos, 133 members
- FlickrAntep 171 photos, 30 members
- National Hunt Racing 2,003 photos, 90 members
- Green is Beautiful 684,638 photos, 66,227 members
- Real Istanbul 4,698 photos, 774 members
- Clash City Snappers 2,736 photos, 551 members
- English lads 915 photos, 740 members
- Photo Kaleidoscope (award any 2 photos from the pool) 19,988 photos, 912 members
- Male Art From Before 7,018 photos, 719 members
"I love Charles' stream. It has got everything, awesome people, cute kids, kissable goat kids and sheep and donkeys and awesome orange stuff and amazing totally not run of the mill pics of places, lovely Masjids and loads of other great stuff. I love the way he lets us see all the different aspects of a place. He takes this seriously in a fun kind of a way.
I want to be able to take pics like him. A great friend. Will love to meet him one day."
14th June, 2011
"CharlesFred was one of my earliest Flickr contacts. His photostream is large and diverse. It shows us places that are often off the main tourist paths and introduces us to the people that live there with a true sensitivity. His photos are informative and from the heart."
11th November, 2009
"CharlesFred encompasses all that is best in a photographer. His eye for detail and technical expertise is unsurpassed, giving his pictures a sharp and vibrant look. However, it is the humanity revealed in his photographs that makes all the difference. It is obvious that the subjects he photographs are people he interacted with, and built up trust with. It is obvious that he has a gift with people as well as with photography."
27th August, 2008
"Wow, I don't even know where to start! More than just aesthetically amazing, Charles' photos are like a powerful political exclamation mark - "Look here! Look at the world! Look what's REALLY going on!" He captures rare beauty that we rarely see on the news and those beautifully sad moments that depict the human spirit against all odds. I am so so so so inspired!
2nd March, 2008
"Charles is a really great guy, always interested in others. He's a world traveller - either on his own or together with Fred and makes beautiful photos of his adventures. I often look at his picture sets, because they're really worth looking at. Charles, keep it up!
Charles is een hele fijne vent. Altijd even belangstellend. Hij maakt vele reizen, dit doet hij alleen of samen met Fred, en maakt daar prachtige foto reportages van. Ik bekijk altijd meerdere keren zijn sets, omdat dit de moeite waard is. Charles blijf lekker zo door gaan."
21st April, 2007
"I love Charles' works. He has a talent to pick up the interestingness of such a normal scene, normal event.
There are many flickrs who posted only their beuaitful works but Charles works are different. he seems to post many of photos he got travelling on. so you feel like travelling with him just looking at his photos. And those photos that he post they are all interesting.
I also love his Namibia and Afriacan sets alot. I will definitely need to come back and fav alot of photos later, now that i have no high speed net yet hehe"
22nd February, 2007
"He is an unusual British man, not always conventional and with a peculiar sense of humour. Extraordinarily clever, friendly .... and with a temperament, also handsome......it seems. But his actual strength is in his eyes when scanning something for a shoot. His eyes and his camera. All this together develop a superlative chemical reaction, and the result is "UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS"
When I look at his pictures I can feel the same emotion, like being there and living the same experience. Excellent colours and compositions, amazing places .... and people, just like being there with him. Thank you Charles, for sharing all this with us."
31st August, 2006
- Charles Roffey
- July 2005
- Living in Amsterdam, traveling widely
- I am: