The photos here are a record of my life, the places I go to, the people I meet and see and the experiences I am having. Many times, the photos accompany and illustrate the blog which I maintain - charlesfred.blogspot.com
I am very lucky to be able to travel as often and as widely as I do and it gives me great pleasure to share what I have seen with a wider audience here on Flickr. I tend to concentrate on positive, colourful images, often of people and I like to think of my photos as an antidote to the images often presented of places and people in the mainstream media.
You are especially invited to view the sets of photos taken during the six month journey I made with my partner, Fred, through the Middle East, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa during the latter part of 2005, this being the original reason for setting up the flickr account .
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to browse through my photostream, leave comments or favourited various photos. Much appreciated.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
- Hats off to Hats! 32,882 photos, 4,005 members
- Oman 18,832 photos, 959 members
- poesia maschile - virile poetry 10,546 photos, 710 members
- Your summer holiday in pictures 513 photos, 162 members
- Shamelessly Shirtless 15,737 photos, 2,736 members
- YELLOW AND GREY/GRAY 1,744 photos, 110 members
- ماضينا الــــعريــق وتــراث اجـــ 5,171 photos, 3,106 members
- »|| Arab Flickr - الفلكر العربي ||« 60,996 photos, 5,496 members
- Architecture 1,578,879 photos, 92,838 members
- Saudi core of the world 23,293 photos, 2,478 members
- Saudi Flickr ♥ فلكر السعودية 42,525 photos, 5,899 members
- Somalia 482 photos, 77 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 117 photos, 366 members
- Tabarca e Tabarchini 79 photos, 45 members
- Riyadh (Ar-Riyad) 4,237 photos, 405 members
- Bulgaria 29,494 photos, 2,081 members
- BBC Eurovision 490 photos, 34 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 927 photos, 584 members
- La Belle Epoque ca.1890 - ca.1914 incl. ArtDeco and ArtNouveau 16,480 photos, 1,280 members
- Somali People 1,572 photos, 196 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,663 photos, 830 members
- Fotografi del mondo (high-quality photographs) 25,762 photos, 1,049 members
- Amsterdam livingrooms 400 photos, 180 members
- Just walking 29,404 photos, 1,745 members
- trot and gallop 19,842 photos, 587 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 5,094 photos, 585 members
- Albania 9,862 photos, 661 members
- ArabWorld 1,048 photos, 208 members
- Being Male 15,475 photos, 1,105 members
- Natural Syria 957 photos, 114 members
- I was in Turkey 15,794 photos, 1,310 members
- Ivy Invasion 2,599 photos, 698 members
- Tunnel Vision 11,833 photos, 2,374 members
- Anonymous guys 14,058 photos, 2,132 members
- Bus Stops Here 10,715 photos, 480 members
- Kosova 5,719 photos, 341 members
- Balkans 30,234 photos, 1,998 members
- Newborn Kosova 247 photos, 81 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,173 photos, 2,552 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,575 photos, 386 members
- Men of Turkey 899 photos, 1,384 members
- Eurovision Song Contest 2,094 photos, 136 members
- FlickrAntep 164 photos, 30 members
- National Hunt Racing 2,451 photos, 104 members
- Green is Beautiful 740,331 photos, 79,935 members
- Real Istanbul 4,584 photos, 783 members
- Clash City Snappers 2,897 photos, 575 members
- English lads 1,003 photos, 795 members
- Photo Kaleidoscope (award any 2 photos from the pool) 20,004 photos, 899 members
- Male Art From Before 7,911 photos, 763 members
"I love Charles' stream. It has got everything, awesome people, cute kids, kissable goat kids and sheep and donkeys and awesome orange stuff and amazing totally not run of the mill pics of places, lovely Masjids and loads of other great stuff. I love the way he lets us see all the different aspects of a place. He takes this seriously in a fun kind of a way.
I want to be able to take pics like him. A great friend. Will love to meet him one day."
June 14th, 2011
"CharlesFred was one of my earliest Flickr contacts. His photostream is large and diverse. It shows us places that are often off the main tourist paths and introduces us to the people that live there with a true sensitivity. His photos are informative and from the heart."
November 11th, 2009
"CharlesFred encompasses all that is best in a photographer. His eye for detail and technical expertise is unsurpassed, giving his pictures a sharp and vibrant look. However, it is the humanity revealed in his photographs that makes all the difference. It is obvious that the subjects he photographs are people he interacted with, and built up trust with. It is obvious that he has a gift with people as well as with photography."
August 27th, 2008
"Wow, I don't even know where to start! More than just aesthetically amazing, Charles' photos are like a powerful political exclamation mark - "Look here! Look at the world! Look what's REALLY going on!" He captures rare beauty that we rarely see on the news and those beautifully sad moments that depict the human spirit against all odds. I am so so so so inspired!
March 2nd, 2008
"Charles is a really great guy, always interested in others. He's a world traveller - either on his own or together with Fred and makes beautiful photos of his adventures. I often look at his picture sets, because they're really worth looking at. Charles, keep it up!
Charles is een hele fijne vent. Altijd even belangstellend. Hij maakt vele reizen, dit doet hij alleen of samen met Fred, en maakt daar prachtige foto reportages van. Ik bekijk altijd meerdere keren zijn sets, omdat dit de moeite waard is. Charles blijf lekker zo door gaan."
April 21st, 2007
"I love Charles' works. He has a talent to pick up the interestingness of such a normal scene, normal event.
There are many flickrs who posted only their beuaitful works but Charles works are different. he seems to post many of photos he got travelling on. so you feel like travelling with him just looking at his photos. And those photos that he post they are all interesting.
I also love his Namibia and Afriacan sets alot. I will definitely need to come back and fav alot of photos later, now that i have no high speed net yet hehe"
February 22nd, 2007
"He is an unusual British man, not always conventional and with a peculiar sense of humour. Extraordinarily clever, friendly .... and with a temperament, also handsome......it seems. But his actual strength is in his eyes when scanning something for a shoot. His eyes and his camera. All this together develop a superlative chemical reaction, and the result is "UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS"
When I look at his pictures I can feel the same emotion, like being there and living the same experience. Excellent colours and compositions, amazing places .... and people, just like being there with him. Thank you Charles, for sharing all this with us."
August 31st, 2006
- Charles Roffey
- July 2005
- Living in Amsterdam, traveling widely
- I am: