The photos here are a record of my life, the places I go to, the people I meet and see and the experiences I am having. Many times, the photos accompany and illustrate the blog which I maintain - charlesfred.blogspot.com
I am very lucky to be able to travel as often and as widely as I do and it gives me great pleasure to share what I have seen with a wider audience here on Flickr. I tend to concentrate on positive, colourful images, often of people and I like to think of my photos as an antidote to the images often presented of places and people in the mainstream media.
You are especially invited to view the sets of photos taken during the six month journey I made with my partner, Fred, through the Middle East, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa during the latter part of 2005, this being the original reason for setting up the flickr account .
Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to browse through my photostream, leave comments or favourited various photos. Much appreciated.
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
- Oman 16,396 photos, 864 members
- poesia maschile - virile poetry 7,446 photos, 584 members
- Your summer holiday in pictures 519 photos, 161 members
- Shamelessly Shirtless 13,119 photos, 2,646 members
- YELLOW AND GREY/GRAY 1,684 photos, 111 members
- ماضينا الــــعريــق وتــراث اجـــ 5,147 photos, 3,116 members
- »|| Arab Flickr - الفلكر العربي ||« 54,451 photos, 5,287 members
- Architecture 1,323,334 photos, 77,476 members
- Saudi core of the world 22,151 photos, 2,470 members
- Saudi Flickr ♥ فلكر السعودية 43,024 photos, 5,777 members
- Somalia 453 photos, 69 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 112 photos, 361 members
- Tabarca e Tabarchini 79 photos, 45 members
- Riyadh (Ar-Riyad) 3,699 photos, 371 members
- Bulgaria 23,780 photos, 1,747 members
- BBC Eurovision 429 photos, 31 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 957 photos, 579 members
- La Belle Epoque ca.1890 - ca.1914 incl. ArtDeco and ArtNouveau 16,626 photos, 1,258 members
- Somali People 1,512 photos, 181 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,801 photos, 844 members
- Fotografi del mondo (high-quality photographs) 21,184 photos, 1,043 members
- Amsterdam livingrooms 390 photos, 174 members
- Just walking 26,112 photos, 1,591 members
- trot and gallop 17,182 photos, 528 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 4,720 photos, 550 members
- Albania 9,287 photos, 624 members
- ArabWorld 1,047 photos, 204 members
- Being Male 10,044 photos, 976 members
- Natural Syria 897 photos, 109 members
- I was in Turkey 13,566 photos, 1,143 members
- Ivy Invasion 2,443 photos, 682 members
- Tunnel Vision 9,440 photos, 2,031 members
- wheelchairs 10,034 photos, 2,018 members
- Anonymous guys 10,872 photos, 1,929 members
- Bus Stops Here 8,854 photos, 468 members
- Kosova 5,371 photos, 326 members
- Balkans 23,673 photos, 1,711 members
- Newborn Kosova 207 photos, 76 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,198 photos, 2,538 members
- Men together - Man to Man 2,607 photos, 351 members
- Men of Turkey 945 photos, 1,290 members
- Eurovision Song Contest 2,081 photos, 133 members
- FlickrAntep 172 photos, 30 members
- National Hunt Racing 2,001 photos, 90 members
- Green is Beautiful 683,815 photos, 65,893 members
- Real Istanbul 4,707 photos, 775 members
- Clash City Snappers 2,733 photos, 551 members
- English lads 915 photos, 739 members
- Photo Kaleidoscope (award any 2 photos from the pool) 19,987 photos, 912 members
- Male Art From Before 7,018 photos, 717 members
"I love Charles' stream. It has got everything, awesome people, cute kids, kissable goat kids and sheep and donkeys and awesome orange stuff and amazing totally not run of the mill pics of places, lovely Masjids and loads of other great stuff. I love the way he lets us see all the different aspects of a place. He takes this seriously in a fun kind of a way.
I want to be able to take pics like him. A great friend. Will love to meet him one day."
14th June, 2011
"CharlesFred was one of my earliest Flickr contacts. His photostream is large and diverse. It shows us places that are often off the main tourist paths and introduces us to the people that live there with a true sensitivity. His photos are informative and from the heart."
11th November, 2009
"CharlesFred encompasses all that is best in a photographer. His eye for detail and technical expertise is unsurpassed, giving his pictures a sharp and vibrant look. However, it is the humanity revealed in his photographs that makes all the difference. It is obvious that the subjects he photographs are people he interacted with, and built up trust with. It is obvious that he has a gift with people as well as with photography."
27th August, 2008
"Wow, I don't even know where to start! More than just aesthetically amazing, Charles' photos are like a powerful political exclamation mark - "Look here! Look at the world! Look what's REALLY going on!" He captures rare beauty that we rarely see on the news and those beautifully sad moments that depict the human spirit against all odds. I am so so so so inspired!
2nd March, 2008
"Charles is a really great guy, always interested in others. He's a world traveller - either on his own or together with Fred and makes beautiful photos of his adventures. I often look at his picture sets, because they're really worth looking at. Charles, keep it up!
Charles is een hele fijne vent. Altijd even belangstellend. Hij maakt vele reizen, dit doet hij alleen of samen met Fred, en maakt daar prachtige foto reportages van. Ik bekijk altijd meerdere keren zijn sets, omdat dit de moeite waard is. Charles blijf lekker zo door gaan."
21st April, 2007
"I love Charles' works. He has a talent to pick up the interestingness of such a normal scene, normal event.
There are many flickrs who posted only their beuaitful works but Charles works are different. he seems to post many of photos he got travelling on. so you feel like travelling with him just looking at his photos. And those photos that he post they are all interesting.
I also love his Namibia and Afriacan sets alot. I will definitely need to come back and fav alot of photos later, now that i have no high speed net yet hehe"
22nd February, 2007
"He is an unusual British man, not always conventional and with a peculiar sense of humour. Extraordinarily clever, friendly .... and with a temperament, also handsome......it seems. But his actual strength is in his eyes when scanning something for a shoot. His eyes and his camera. All this together develop a superlative chemical reaction, and the result is "UNBELIEVABLE PHOTOS"
When I look at his pictures I can feel the same emotion, like being there and living the same experience. Excellent colours and compositions, amazing places .... and people, just like being there with him. Thank you Charles, for sharing all this with us."
31st August, 2006
- Charles Roffey
- July 2005
- Living in Amsterdam, traveling widely
- I am: