With a click of her shutter she can turn a simple gesture at a wedding rehearsal into a moment forever framed over a fireplace. And despite the blare of music and stages lights, she’s able to capture a musician’s glance and reveal to all the tortured soul of an artist. … Her images are often displayed in black and white, but when she looks through her view finder Carie Thompson never fails to find a colorful character.
Carie’s quest began in her hometown of Knoxville, Tennessee where she playfully focused her lens on the crazy antics of her college friends. That initiation into the world of F-Stops and flash settings opened the door to area music venues, and soon the characters appearing nightly on local stages found their images emblazoned onto the digital memory card of Thompson’s camera.
Her focus on musicians eventually drew her to the one place over populated with them –Nashville. It was just a two hour drive from her East Tennessee home, but her arrival was a giant leap for both Thompson and the independent artists living and creating just outside the Nashville music box.
Diving into the Nashville nightlife Carie and her camera started showing up at such venues as 12th & Porter, The Rutledge, and The Basement. And soon her flash was spotlighting artists like Cage the Elephant, Jeremy Lister, AutoVaughn, Bang Bang Bang, Chip Greene, Kyle Andrews, and Rachel Pearl.
Her black and white approach was not only bold and artistic, it contrasted the Nashville night with the illuminating music of artists still hovering between survival and success. Over time, as the music and images found wider distribution, fan bases grew, and so did the reputation of Carie Thompson.
It wasn’t long before Carie’s shooting schedule included everything from up n’ coming artists, weddings, models and actors to the most prominent, annual musical event in the region; the Bonnaroo Music Festival.
Although Carie and her camera did not find each other until early in this century, the combination clicked and formed an inseparable collaboration that has already garnered an impressive list of successes. Thompson’s work has been spotted in The New York Post, and featured in the pages of such prominent magazines as Guitar Player Magazine, American Songwriter, Tango, Y’all, The Advocate, the UK's N.M.E., Nashville's Fringe Magazine, Knoxville’s Metro Pulse and The Nashville Scene, and Knoxville's One-Eighty Magazine. Carie has also snapped for industry websites like KatyK’s Clothing , and Mastercard’s Priceline.com.
These days, Carie can still be found looking through her view finder in Nashville, Knoxville, Atlanta, or New York. And though her schedule is constantly full, her camera never will be; for she’s always on the look out for independent, colorful characters, full of life. …Maybe she should turn the camera on herself.
Desired projects: Touring with bands to document the lives of musicians. Still photographer on the set of films. Travel to other countries documenting the lives of people who need the help of the world. Her hope: “To make a difference with my camera. Whether it be with one person, or multiple people, I wish to impact the world in a positive way with my eye.”
Her favorite photographers: Edward Weston, Richard Avedon, Annie Leibovitz, Robert Capa, James Nachtwey, Gray Scott, Sally Mann, too many to list.
- Food Style Photography 2,497 photos, 98 members
- Concert Photography 197,127 photos, 36,228 members
- Band Promos 30,605 photos, 8,042 members
- NPR Look At This 147,732 photos, 6,127 members
- The Rogue's Gallery 35 photos, 24 members
- The B&H Event Space 3,140 photos, 499 members
- Manhattan Island 22,843 photos, 1,316 members
- New York Photography 369,493 photos, 19,794 members
- Local Freelance Photojournalism 1,111 photos, 65 members
- 7 seconds.War,Peace and Disaster 3,959 photos, 1,253 members
- 11:11 214 photos, 292 members
- Nashville Fashion 188 photos, 144 members
- Conceptual photographic thinking in a SPLIT second (closed!) 164 photos, 40 members
- Untitled Artists Group - Nashville 3,466 photos, 116 members
- The Singles Bar - now open 1,258 photos, 1,094 members
- Single Tree Photos 3,707 photos, 795 members
- Knoxville Talks 813 photos, 43 members
- Unfaded Memories 3 photos, 3 members
- It ain't the tools, it's the talent. 4,528 photos, 448 members
- Cinematic Moments. 577,051 photos, 21,749 members
- The Legendary Shack Shakers 507 photos, 22 members
- LightSource 83,005 photos, 8,703 members
- ▌▌▌I love STRIPES ▌▌▌ 2,230 photos, 228 members
- letters of production 59 photos, 52 members
- !AREA MAGAZINE : Toronto 2,231 photos, 460 members
- 24 hours of Flickr 5,279 photos, 17,811 members
- PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS 24,835 photos, 1,390 members
- Parisian International Meeting 2007 176 photos, 309 members
- Satan's Fan Club 1,490 photos, 326 members
- neat stuff 75 photos, 41 members
- My 2007 Daily Photo Diary 655 photos, 1,114 members
- [ steel and glass ] canyons 1,197 photos, 280 members
- The Professionals 0 photos, 362 members
- Favorite Pictures 81,183 photos, 6,639 members
- Assistants Wanted 1,357 photos, 734 members
- Flickr Folk (Pictures of Flickr People) 1,146 photos, 118 members
- We Own This Town: Nashville 2,202 photos, 155 members
- Smash the Pumpkin 6 photos, 19 members
- Resemblance (God is garlic and alicin is Jesus) 13 photos, 15 members
- Nudes in Black and White 15 photos, 54 members
- Dead Neighbors Make Good Fences 52 photos, 24 members
- Nudeless Blackandwhite 1,580 photos, 148 members
- Nudeless Color (Anything but nudes) 43 photos, 33 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 491,506 photos, 63,374 members
- Well done you! 1,078 photos, 97 members
- Nashville: More than the Twang 4,836 photos, 250 members
- Katrina Relief Auction - Total Donations To Date: $19,553.01 97 photos, 1,204 members
- Silian Rail 93 photos, 134 members
- Band Photography 446,483 photos, 20,022 members
- Chic! 885 photos, 78 members
Jeff Frazier Photographs says:
"I always love to see your work Carrie, you are a true creative spirit! Thanks for the inspiration."
May 28th, 2009
The Guncle says:
"I had the good fortune to recent;y meet Carie here in NYC. She is an amazing talent and wonderful soul. I also hope to call her a good friend."
December 2nd, 2008
"Every time I see a new photo from Carie it's an amazing example of talent, curiosity and experience. The expressions she draws from her models and the use of color and light are simply remarkable."
January 23rd, 2008
"Carie has an undying passion and love for capturing people in their true essence. And if her subject tries to mask him or herself.....she not only has the ability to remove it.......but shed the many coats underneath, revealing a unique person with all their diamonds and dirt.
Carie is a true gem in the world of photograpy. And on top of that, she has a heart and spirit of gold."
August 3rd, 2006
"I am a man of few words. Let me preface this by saying , first off I concider Carie a friend. She is a fantastic photographer whos embraceing use of Black & White images amaze me all the time. If you have ever been around her you will admire her outgoing nature which inspires theis photos."
July 9th, 2006
"Thanks for adding me, Carie. Great to see you at Bonnaroo. Hope Nashville is working out great for you :-)"
June 20th, 2006
"Carie told me a very important photographic gem, and that is to never be shy when taking photographs. Carie really confronts her subjects head on and her strength of character really shines through in her photos."
April 13th, 2006
"I love your style it´s unique i don´t know if i have one, but yours is lovely!!
February 14th, 2006
"In all fantasy is a core of truth, and in all truth there is a core of fantasy.
What Cariephoto succeeds in documenting is the magical commingling of truth and fantasy all around us (if only we'd open our hearts and eyes)."
October 15th, 2005
"Carie is reaching out to us through her camera and revealing her relationship with the world. She charming the beast, flirting with danger, and chasing dark pleasures."
September 11th, 2005
Southern Exposure, LLC says:
"The mysticism and magnetism displayed in the works of Carie Thompson can be likened to the awakened senses of a newborn in the first hours of life. Profound and provocative, are just mere descriptions used to describe the elements of light and darkness used in her art. The subtle expressions found in her work are reflected in the faces of her subject matter and provide the viewer with an acute awareness that she is trusted to bring out the finest qualities of both modern art and refined vision. It is this vision that draws the viewer into a world where people are more than just faces on a wall or moments in time captured on film. The characters in the world of Carie Thompson breathe and move on paper and one can not help but wonder if they are truly looking at a photograph or if the humanity of the moment is frozen in a frame for all of time. It is immortalized moments that Carie finds her greatest pleasure: lending an eye to the world of photography in which time slows down just long enough for her to take you into a glimpse of the lives of real people leading fascinating journeys during the routine of everyday living. It is a marvelous wonder to see our world entrusting a visionary and becoming a visual archive, during which we find a voice when no words can be uttered. Carie has the keen ability to open the minds and heart of her audience with unspoken, hauntingly beautiful images. It is the enigma of art that one is able to relate to those that we have never met and to find common ground with the elements in each photograph that Carie brings to the table for our eyes to feast upon."
July 29th, 2005
"Carie is not only a truly talented photographer, she is a sweet human being. Her enthusiasm for all things photography is addictive and kind of reminds me of me.
Plus she has a bitchin' southern accent!"
July 9th, 2005
"I think Carie underestimates her talent. I've seen her get better and better - and not only as a photographer, but truly grow as a person. Take a look and see the world as Carie sees it and have fun enjoying the journey."
April 30th, 2005
"What can I say about Carie? Yes, she's the Queen of Contrast, and the Lady Godiva of Gothic Goodness...but there's more to be had here that mere labels cannot define. She infuses her work with such warmth and depth, that many of her shots radiate this enticing glow that sucks you in - like a visual siren's song. Allow yourself to crash upon her shores. You won't need to be rescued."
December 12th, 2004
- Carie Thompson
- December 2004
- Knoxville, TN
- New York, NY, United States
- I am:
- Female and Single
- cariephoto [at] gmail.com
- Yahoo! IM: