It always was and always will be about the light.
My state of life has changed. I am now blind in one eye and for balance I must use a walker.
My photographic heroes? Robert Capa, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Gordon Parks, Dorothea Lange, Margaret Bourke-White, Eugene Smith, Walker Evans, and David Douglas Duncan. Unlike them I stay close to home and take very safe, very quiet photos.
Home now is on Georgian Bay in central Ontario in Canada, although I lived for many, many years in Toronto. I have been trying to make photographs since the late 1960s. Once in a while I get lucky and trap some magic in light form. I was recently looking through some old photo albums and noted that I at some point in my teenage years became the family photographer taking over from my Mom. As a result I pretty much disappear from the family photo record. It is a little unsettling to disappear like that. This is probably why I have resorted to so many self portraits recently. My mother's parents were Swedes from Finland who came to Canad around 1910. My father's ancestors were Irish and came earlier, around the time of the Potato Famine and a little later, so 1848 or thereabouts. I have visited Ireland, and still hope to visit the village in Finland where my Mother's people came from.
I worked for many years as a technical writer. A life long interest in history, photographic art and cinema. Most recently I have developed an interest in archaeology, especially that of the villages of the Huron nation found in central Ontario, south of Georigan Bay in Canada.
My buddy profile image is my second golden retriever, Shakespeare who passed away in 2009.
I have some sets arranged here with photos of my camera collection.
Just bought a Nikon D7100. I use a Sony NEX F3 along with my DSLR, Nikon D3100, and messing around with my Sony H50, Olympus SZ-14 and an iPad2.
I keep saying I am going to go back to shooting film sometimes with my many old cameras but I haven't actually done it much.
my photography related blog: gibsonlibrarybarandgrill.blogspot.ca//
my blog blog: wjjgibson.wordpress.com/
You may find some of my images used on Wikipedia.
Tvisited 5 states (2.22%)Create your own visited map of The World or Triposo world travel guide for Android
visited 20 states (40%)<a
- The Elderly Cat 127 photos, 33 members
- Flickr disabled 3,327 photos, 169 members
- Kidney Transplants R US 193 photos, 40 members
- Yes, i'm a dreamer. 889,186 photos, 18,505 members
- Hasselblad 500 Series 106,896 photos, 6,900 members
- USA - UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 428,116 photos, 11,221 members
- Ontario Sunsets 96 photos, 20 members
- Ontario Landscapes 405 photos, 62 members
- Ontario Shooters 61,003 photos, 697 members
- Nature Canada 67,500 photos, 1,071 members
- Images of Canada 29,260 photos, 474 members
- Canada Landscapes 151,008 photos, 5,287 members
- Ink and Watercolor Wash 52,582 photos, 1,908 members
- Breathtaking Landscapes B&W and Color 138,729 photos, 8,250 members
- The best of world picture 1,439,540 photos, 32,225 members
- FAST FIGHTER JETS. 82,556 photos, 1,361 members
- Military Vehicles Past and Present 33,569 photos, 460 members
- Small Towns 25,513 photos, 745 members
- Monochrome(dump it here) 143,970 photos, 4,134 members
- Noctis 107,718 photos, 2,841 members
- Sketches 164,782 photos, 7,239 members
- Train-photographer's digest 1,620 photos, 1,849 members
- Swans 57,595 photos, 7,906 members
- 6,000 Views Unlimited 6000 135,683 photos, 7,093 members
- Blind Photographers 11,330 photos, 412 members
- iPad Air Photogragpy 1,208 photos, 118 members
- iPad Photography 642 photos, 67 members
- Suomi 122,871 photos, 2,561 members
- Best of Finland, send 3 - comment 2 4,315 photos, 201 members
- Mechanical Pencil Junkies 522 photos, 191 members
- Rotring 76 photos, 16 members
- The Artists Hand,works in pen,wash or pencil 18,652 photos, 588 members
- The Drawing Club at Flickr 216,488 photos, 7,304 members
- All kind of Landscapes 507,303 photos, 22,590 members
- Ernest Miller Hemingway 23 photos, 13 members
- The Dead Technology Society 1,134 photos, 187 members
- Old Lens Users Group 38,513 photos, 805 members
- Vintage/Classic Film Cameras 24,732 photos, 603 members
- !Rock That Disability! 13,539 photos, 1,804 members
- European Military Equipment and Exercises 8,817 photos, 99 members
- Nikon 86,791 photos, 924 members
- Nikon D7100 ♥ 42,225 photos, 704 members
- FUJIFILM FINEPIX S8200 8,498 photos, 112 members
- Ireland 289,745 photos, 11,500 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 2,242,190 photos, 58,483 members
- ROTRING PEN 64 photos, 21 members
- Great American Architecture 11,825 photos, 650 members
- CITIES.1 48,282 photos, 1,623 members
- Sketchbook 282,408 photos, 11,260 members
- iPad Photography 6,353 photos, 501 members
Jack Lo P. says:
"Bill is Huronia, Ontario's ambassador to photography. He's a technical experimenter, and a fearless self portraiter."
September 14th, 2008
- William Gibson
- November 2004
- near Barrie, Ontario, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Single
- writer/photographer - knowledge worker
- Bluetyger: Wm J. Gibson' s notebook