Lisa Stevens-Artist Statement
Through many years of creating, I have experimented with many different media, both 2D and 3D. I have found it very difficult to focus on using one material, but after joining a ceramics evening class nine years ago, I decided that clay would be my material.
I was already used to working in three dimensions as I have had a long standing career as one of the senior sculptors/model-makers at Aardman Animations,
working on projects such as “Chicken Run”, “Wallace and Gromit-Curse of the Wererabbit”, “Angry Kid” and “Creature Comforts”. After leaving Aardman to have my baby (now two and a half years old) I have found some (limited) time to develop my own style and techniques in ceramics.
The main body of my work, the sculptures and sculptural jewelry, are primarily influenced by the clay itself. I do not fight with the clay to make neat edges and smooth, even surfaces, preferring instead to leave the tool marks, the raw edges and the natural texture of the clay. The same applies to the glazes I use…I would like to experiment further, but so far I have found that I am most comfortable with matt stoneware glazes, that show different colours according to their thickness. I also have a penchant for silicon carbide, which when mixed with a glaze causes bubbling and blistering, and also iron oxide spangles…..a few thrown on causes lovely rust spotting, but add them on a little heavier, and the effect is a wonderful sparkly pewter. When possible, I also take part in Raku firings.
I also take reference form sea creatures, such as coral, jelly fish and of course, sea urchins. I love working with textures and a lot of my work is pierced. I do not smooth the piercing, but instead choose to keep the barnacle effect as the clay splits as the tool moves through it.
I am a hand-builder, mainly making pinch pots, of which I have an obsession to make as thin as possible. I also use plaster press moulds. These are mainly hemi-spherical and I then add texture and alter the forms from this base.
For the ceramic pendants, I also work in brighter, shiny earthenware glazes. Depending on the size of the piece, they are either simple designs, or elaborate patterns made with my own handmade clay stamps, and the impressions filled with multi-coloured glazes.
Photos of c-urchin (7)
- Estella's Wall 15 photos, 9 members
- pendant a day 99 photos, 17 members
- The Flickr Response Project 3 photos, 17 members
- Indie Fixx 5,761 photos, 644 members
- Old Time Etsy Team 871 photos, 83 members
- Inspiration is Everywhere 92 photos, 43 members
- Ring a Day 15,810 photos, 452 members
- Cupcakes, Glitter & Art 8,051 photos, 969 members
- Curiosity Cabinet of Handmade Specimens 1,533 photos, 307 members
- Daily Art inspiration 1,298 photos, 323 members
- BS3 and BS4 3,928 photos, 161 members
- ART and CRAFT 9,913 photos, 2,716 members
- texture whores 98,925 photos, 4,811 members
- yummy thinkyummythoughts 5,440 photos, 643 members
- Handmade Beads 19,752 photos, 831 members
- Solidarity League of Creative Women Distracted by ooooh! Shiny! 11,205 photos, 674 members
- Love your tools! 1,208 photos, 249 members
- Made or designed by you 37,898 photos, 1,294 members
- I Made it Myself 634,092 photos, 28,180 members
- Dress the house with useful Art 29,976 photos, 2,447 members
- Art Bead Scene 3,275 photos, 1,075 members
- Treasures made by Hand 67,403 photos, 2,158 members
- We Love Folksy.com 15,211 photos, 850 members
- TheSampler: Whatcha Makin'? 3,266 photos, 249 members
- Craft work in progress 18,236 photos, 1,690 members
- The ReUse Project 16,913 photos, 2,458 members
- We Make London 652 photos, 184 members
- *..* Bead forum & creations *..* ( award/invite codes available) 5,860 photos, 433 members
- Bead Porn 41,810 photos, 2,670 members
- Etsy Packaging 4,560 photos, 2,776 members
- Gardening 365 (ish) 1,908 photos, 116 members
- Self Portrait Thursday 14,235 photos, 1,661 members
- Wow! Now that Jewelry needs an audience!!! 2,940 photos, 677 members
- "Art in the UK - British Fine Art & Fine Art Photography" 35,328 photos, 1,336 members
- Recycle Remake Redesign Re-craft Reuse Recreate Reclaim Reduce 35,931 photos, 2,841 members
- UK Etsy Retreat 2008 75 photos, 67 members
- Arts and Crafts Tutorials 5,589 photos, 1,624 members
- UKetsians 16,895 photos, 772 members
- ART JEWELRY / ONE OF A KIND WEARABLE SCULTPURE 6,268 photos, 605 members
- Jewelry Trends: Show & Tell 46,554 photos, 3,564 members
- Handmade Jewelry 44,968 photos, 5,992 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 13,948 photos, 12,909 members
- Etsy Supplies - Handmade by the Seller 4,601 photos, 275 members
- Ceramic Jewelry 4,910 photos, 315 members
- UK Travelling Journal. 4 photos, 26 members
- Wemadeit 23,553 photos, 792 members
- UK Handmade 45,627 photos, 2,082 members
- CRAFT 249,662 photos, 14,275 members
- lovely_owls 5,568 photos, 1,314 members
- Crafting 365 21,469 photos, 1,351 members
"Lisa amazes me with her art.
Her style is so unique and beautiful.
I'm so glad and lucky to know her.
July 27th, 2008
"Probably one of the most awesome ceramicists i have came across. One of the friendliest most lovely people too, with ceramic pendants and art works that take your breath away. I own two pieces and i just want more so beautiful. Keep up the good work you are amazing!"
June 16th, 2007
- Lisa Stevens
- March 2007
- I am:
- Female and Taken