Born near Cawdor in the Scottish Highlands in 1964, I studied craft & design at Grays' School of Art in Aberdeen and graduated with honours in 1987. Specialising in sculptural ceramics I used photography as a means of recording a library of natural forms that could be translated into clay.
That fascination with the function and beauty of forms, patterns and textures that can be found in nature can be seen in my current photographic work. Using digital technology but never straying too far from traditional techniques I record the affects on the land that the people who work the rural landscapes have made over the seasons and the years.
I have been commended and shortlisted on 3 occasions in the Sony World Photography Awards. A finalist in the Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year Awards and the International Garden Photographer of the Year awards and was commended in the Sunday Times Landscape Photographer of the Year Awards.
I have worked with the acclaimed musician Duncan Chisholm, Visit Scotland, Dogstar Theatre and The National Theatre of Scotland among others and will consider any commissioned work.
I live in the small village of Kiltarlity in Inverness-shire and divides my time between working in the social care sector and my photography projects.
None of my photos (whole or part) may be reproduced or used in any way without my permission.
If you are interested in using any of them please contact me
Interested in prints please contact me through flickrmail
Commended in the Sony World Photography Awards 2011.
Finalist in The International Garden Photographer of the Year 2010 Award.
Commended in the Sony World Photography Awards 2010
commended in the Sunday Times landscape photographer of the year 2008 competition
finalist in the Countryfile photographic competition 2006
Shortlisted in the Sony World Photography Awards 2009
Photos of Colin Campbell (Bruiach) (1)
- Creativity of Destruction 8,221 photos, 577 members
- in explore 1,006,417 photos, 82,767 members
- Ten - A Curated Explore 1,357 photos, 704 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 884,871 photos, 15,049 members
- ORKNEY 21,212 photos, 852 members
- Distinguished Raptors (P1-A1) 17,968 photos, 819 members
- Scotland views 4,312 photos, 1,404 members
- Ratharsair 144 photos, 17 members
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 761 photos, 1,408 members
- Tiree 543 photos, 59 members
- Scottish Wildflowers 1,414 photos, 177 members
- On Landscape 121,966 photos, 2,676 members
- National Collective 19 photos, 7 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,242,545 photos, 77,169 members
- Morayshire 7,614 photos, 291 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 72,023 photos, 6,469 members
- Black And White Masterpiece 238 photos, 84 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 32,112 photos, 2,067 members
- Gannets 3,252 photos, 454 members
- ILFORD Imaging monthly website competition 12,961 photos, 1,431 members
- Banff, Macduff and Around About 2,445 photos, 170 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,604 photos, 906 members
- EOS Adventure 442,314 photos, 8,373 members
- Black and White Elegance (On vacation and temporary closed) 13,328 photos, 7,919 members
- Scottish Ruins 2,343 photos, 187 members
- Flickr Foto Fame (Gallery of Outstanding Photos) 3,316 photos, 1,864 members
- Mollusk Magazine 14,430 photos, 498 members
- Canon 7D or 7D2 Nature Photography - Nothing Man Made 144,699 photos, 2,327 members
- Slime Molds 5,067 photos, 459 members
- B&W Scotland 5,565 photos, 168 members
- F L E U R 3,360 photos, 895 members
- *The Master Photographer* Post 1 Comment on 3 SWEEPER NOW ACTIVE 117,409 photos, 3,438 members
- BBC Winterwatch 171,579 photos, 8,570 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 611,466 photos, 11,433 members
- theprintspace 71,880 photos, 2,684 members
- The Worlds Best Nature, Wildlife, And Macro Photography 222,283 photos, 6,327 members
- B&W 5,329,342 photos, 229,752 members
- Photographic Guide To Scotland - GeoTagging Scotland 23,063 photos, 415 members
- Wildlife in Scotland 101,223 photos, 2,299 members
- DOF Stacking 12,062 photos, 1,109 members
- UK - Wildlife & Nature 387,787 photos, 6,005 members
- Theater and Performing Arts (post 1/award 1) 47,167 photos, 3,646 members
- FOCUS ON FIFE 24,797 photos, 587 members
- Newcastle and Hunter Valley Photographers 43,297 photos, 1,208 members
- Farming Life 31,200 photos, 1,218 members
- Perthshire 18,315 photos, 564 members
- Visit St Andrews & East Neuk of Fife 13,244 photos, 692 members
- Fife 34,206 photos, 1,078 members
- Monochrome Botanical, Botanical Garden & Arboretum 2,539 photos, 105 members
- Beautiful nature★ 9,944 photos, 171 members
Alpine Light & Structure says:
"Of another flickr member, he wrote "Such wonderful mountain shots and so obviously at home in his environment!" Well, those kind words apply in equal measure to Colin Campbell himself. Not everybody has the artist's eye and the skills to bring out the power of Highland landscapes, but if you want to find out how it's done, you could start by studying and appreciating the images in these galleries ...."
December 7th, 2009
Lost in Scotland says:
"I lived in Scotland for 6.5 years and loved every minute. Now living back in the States, I visit Colin's photo stream almost every day to dull the ache that cuts through my heart for distant home. Colin is able to capture the true spirit of Scotland with every picture. He visually articulates for most of us why we love Scotland. Thanks Colin...much respect and admiration..LiS"
June 19th, 2008
"I find visiting Colin's photosteam such a pleasure. Dreams are made of places that Colin takes me to.
Colin, I like travelling with you. Thank you."
March 4th, 2008
rita vita finzi says:
"I wish to write something about colin's work because is a way to thank him for the beautiful works he shares here on flickr.
everytme I visit his photostream I find something beautiful: he has so a particular, original way to approach nature, in all its aspects ... theese are the shots I prefer, sometimes wild and sometimes .. lunar!, with gorgeous close up and superb water images, amazing colours and exquisite black and white ...
nice to have met you, my friend!"
December 26th, 2007
"Fabulous photos, brilliantly processed, wonderfully composed, selectively posted... each photo is a treasure, a desktop-wallpaper in waiting, and inspiration to grab my camera and go and shoot some more! Keep up the inspiring work..."
November 18th, 2007
Daren Smith says:
"I always look forward to seeing Colins work, and when it appears I am filled with thoughts of envy and awe. Colin has an empathy with his land and camera that not many people have. Your a real inspiration Colin, thank you."
May 22nd, 2007
bothy photo says:
"Happy hours with bruiach1's photostream leave me considering him as much Artist as Photographer. Lacking knowledge of photographic techniques, I see his offerings more as lovely pictures than as photos: pictures that enthral and captivate the senses.
He observes and faithfully records the beauty of small and trivial things which, by others, might well pass unnoticed. His grander scenes record the natural ( and sometimes architectural) beauties of our land in a way which lets us feel, and almost smell and hear, the place in which he stands.
Looking for example at his "High land road", you know where next you will plant your weary feet, you can hear the silence in the hill and feel the threat and promise of what lies ahead.
bruiach1, I thank you for much pleasure."
October 26th, 2006
- August 2006
- I am:
- Male and Taken