"Most of us feel that others will not tolerate emotional honesty. We would rather defend our dishonesty on the grounds that it might hurt others; and having rationalized our phoniness into nobility, we settle for superficial relationships."
"It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?"
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."
Without deviations from the norm, progress is not possible.
HDR free since 1957
HDR Photography; our generations velvet painting; as gaudy as a velvet Elvis, as garish as a freakishly wide-eyed bare-breasted velvet Native Girl painting.
__________ ____________ _____________
"The church is near, but the road is icy; the bar is far, but we will walk carefully."
__________ ____________ _____________
Bruce Dean: producing Salon des Refusés style art for over 50 years
...a single disabled father
...a semi-retired writer/photographer/artist
...a hedonistic bohemian
...a professional recreationalist
-University of Victoria
-Victoria College of Art (VCAD)
-Western Academy of Photography & Photojournalism
-Vancouver City College
-Santa Barbara City College
-University of Alberta
Bruce Dean (professional recreationalist)
From a gonzo path less traveled, Bruce Dean draws from his bizarre experiences and his social conscience of convenience when creating his photographs, paintings, and writings.
A photojournalist and raconteur armed with tales from his travels; from backhands to bars; from beaches to vineyards; from university to social work – caring for societies discarded children while conquering the seas, trees, and slopes of North America; battling poverty and disability while desperately clinging to parenting. Through it all, Bruce Dean has been producing his award winning humor, photography and writing.
Bruce Dean has studied at Victoria College of Art, Vancouver and Santa Barbara City Colleges, and the University of Alberta. Dean is currently working toward degrees in visual art and writing at the University of Victoria – expanding upon his diploma in Photojournalism from Western Academy of Photography.
Bruce Dean’s writings, photographs, and paintings primarily focus upon the street and social issues; his internationally recognized art often utilizing dolls and action figures as a medium of expression. When Dean paints he works with acrylics, oils, found items, and collage of his own photography. Imitating the encaustic style, Dean has been experimenting with deep gel work to add the element of perceived depth and forced bokeh.
Bruce Dean’s work has graced a variety of publications and galleries, including;
Boulevard magazine, the Edmonton Journal, Aviator magazine, Sailing World magazine, SEE magazine, Fusion magazine, the Community Arts Council of Greater Victoria, the Metchosin Art Gallery, the Sculpture Studio, CHED Radio, CJSR FM Radio, Oak Bay News, Victoria News, Duncan News Leader, Vue Weekly, Pacific Coastal In-Flight magazine, Metchosin Muse, the Tyee, the Georgia Straight, Outside on-line, BIKE magazine, Wetrag, Monday magazine, Megaphone Magazine, the Martlet, Cannabinoid Chronicles...
Bruce Dean’s art has been refused, restricted, or removed from;
The Victoria Independent Film Festival; the Community Arts Council of Greater Victoria (CACGV); Flickr (YAHOO); YouTube; the Victoria Times Colonist; and from his own camera by the Victoria Police (VicPD)...
"Although Cst. Hynes had the power to seize Dean's entire camera, it appears that he inconvenienced Dean less by simply deleting the images in question and then returning the camera to him."
(The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner)
"Sgt. Sawyer located numerous concerning photographs in [Dean’s] collection..."
(The Victoria Chief of Police)
Dean, “you will have a place in hell! the lord punishes the wicked and u, u worthless
maggot will be judged! hope u enjoy UR SKIN BURNING FROM UR BONES”
(Jeff Tally, a fan)
“You have to admire local activist Bruce Dean...”
(Jody Paterson – Special to Times Colonist)
I enjoy hearing the opinions from the viewers of my images, but:
My Flickr Photo Site is not a forum for your negative opinion of me. If you greatly disagree with my opinion - politely speak your mind, or you should post your opinion in your Flickr Photo Site - not here.
If you have nothing nice to say - don't bother with the rude.
If you have something nice to say - I love you.
"Don't go away mad - just go away." (...Lisa...)
I depend upon the strangers of kindness...
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
"...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say commonplace things, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."
"I felt somehow that some of us were making real progress, that we had taken an honest road, and that the best of us would inevitably make it over the top. At the same time, I shared a dark suspicion that the life we were leading was a lost cause, that we were all actors, kidding ourselves along on a senseless odyssey. It was the tension between these two poles - a restless idealism on one hand and a sense of impending doom on the other - that kept me going."
(Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary)
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
Check out my videos:
The nail that sticks out must be pounded down.
Photos of professional recreationalist (10)
- Bicycle Belles 25,091 photos, 1,436 members
- Planning Pool 1,340 photos, 40 members
- streetwise [info at your toes] 1,919 photos, 631 members
- Making Cycling Dangerous 661 photos, 125 members
- Cars in Bike Lanes (NYC) 102 photos, 36 members
- Defective Bicycle Facilities 82 photos, 4 members
- Bicycle facilities 8,714 photos, 554 members
- PTTP 1,703 photos, 323 members
- Flickr Celebrates Pride 16,097 photos, 1,056 members
- Vancouver in Black and White 706 photos, 50 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,045 photos, 13,799 members
- Bickr and Bitch 12 photos, 687 members
- All about Groups. 0 photos, 146 members
- steampunk 23,922 photos, 3,480 members
- Steampunk Art 3,142 photos, 716 members
- VCAD 849 photos, 3 members
- Toys + Cannabis 199 photos, 47 members
- + Toys ( 玩具,おもちゃ ) 479,386 photos, 24,667 members
- flickr (unofficial) 3,774,931 photos, 99,431 members
- Truckee, CA 545 photos, 83 members
- Victoria Day Parade 2012 227 photos, 9 members
- All the awesomeness of TBG - Biscuits and.. Discuss.. 49,838 photos, 398 members
- BICYCLE & CREATIVITY 19,346 photos, 1,524 members
- Manfrotto Official 42,774 photos, 2,492 members
- Occupy 20,727 photos, 1,212 members
- Occupy Together movement 2,633 photos, 389 members
- #OccupyWallStreet 13,830 photos, 657 members
- #OccupyWallStreet Everywhere 3,455 photos, 155 members
- Occupy Wall Street 2,880 photos, 340 members
- Occupy Wall Street Photo Project 5,122 photos, 481 members
- Occupy Everywhere 7,858 photos, 675 members
- OCCUPY EARTH 1,257 photos, 124 members
- **The Street Photography Society** only 2 shots per week 220,357 photos, 8,782 members
- PHOTOGRAPHERS OF CANADA 430,110 photos, 5,556 members
- Education Orthopedic Brace 858 photos, 236 members
- Cycling in Brighton 219 photos, 56 members
- ► Doll's House 108,142 photos, 3,601 members
- The Secret Life of Toys 409,031 photos, 21,778 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 796,393 photos, 30,138 members
- Walking the Dog 600 photos, 93 members
- Fender Guitars 8,889 photos, 2,419 members
- Streetlife 215,370 photos, 4,027 members
- Out and About in Victoria BC 4,804 photos, 223 members
- Photographers of Victoria, BC 1,078 photos, 49 members
- ~Best of British Columbia~ 1,883 photos, 808 members
- British Columbia Provincial Parks 7,039 photos, 517 members
- Ultimate Justin Bieber Fans 2,035 photos, 1,287 members
- Lets Hear It For The Boys 13,388 photos, 354 members
- Sector 9 490 photos, 146 members
- YEAH Magazine Contributor Search 118,095 photos, 4,750 members
Cassandra's Eye says:
"Bruce is a photographer who shoots from the heart."
March 27th, 2008
Stefano Tedioli says:
"Bruce is a free spirit who makes free photos.
Is there anything else we can ask him?
I don't think."
September 1st, 2007
"BruceDean creates some of thee most fascinating and controversial photos using dolls that I have ever seen. A true inspiration for me."
August 28th, 2007
- Bruce Dean
- August 2005
- Victoria, BC
- Victoria, BC, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Single