"You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it."
Hi everyone! My name is Tony. I live in Los Angeles, California and I am definitely not a pro. But I do feel like I've got a decent eye for the picture and I've loved taking pictures my entire life.
I moved out to LA from Pennsylvania about three years ago to pursue a career in film/TV production but ended up working for a non-profit only to find it infinitely more satisfying and rewarding. Although, the pay isn't very good. But it wasn't that good in production either, so I kind of break even.
I've found LA to be filled with millions of images waiting to be taken. From beautiful homes to gritty streets, I could literally shoot for hours and only have seen a fraction of what there is to see. And as long as I'm here I will continue to shoot what I find interesting.
I guess my style would fall under the photo journalistic umbrella. I don't really like set ups. I'd rather just capture life as it happens. I think there is enough humor, drama, irony, etc to capture in the real world that I don't feel the need to recreate it in a studio. I did enough of that in production. I've always been a bit shy shooting people which is why, in most of my shots with people in them, they aren't looking directly at the camera. They're usually part of the background. And further, that's why most of my shots don't have people in them.
So my goal for the time being is to work on approaching people and incorporating them into my photos as the primary subjects. I've noticed that other peoples pictures that I'm drawn to most are ones with some sort of life in them (human life, that is.)
Up until about a month ago my primary camera was a Canon SD 800IS. And as far as point and shoots go, I love that camera. I am now shooting on a Nikon D40X Digital SLR which I find more challenging but ultimately the photos are more rewarding. I edit them in Iphoto, Capture NX and Photoshop CS3.
I hope everyone take the time to enjoy some of my photos and please leave lots of comments. Good, bad and ugly.
- B&W Bokeh and DoF (Depth of field) 1,980 photos, 282 members
- I Heart Photo! 1,307 photos, 65 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Drank That!!! 7,718 photos, 1,241 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,772 photos, 1,314 members
- Barack Obama Photos 15,366 photos, 3,290 members
- Street or Studio 2,050 photos, 2,419 members
- FF3 T-Shirt Design Contest 1,026 photos, 3,333 members
- Nikon Digital 1,764,481 photos, 71,669 members
- Nikon D40/x/50/60/5000/3000/3100 and Friends Club 459,440 photos, 25,736 members
- Project 365 1,690,334 photos, 28,386 members
- PHOTO SMILES - Photos That Make You SMILE! Post 1/Award 2 70,774 photos, 5,763 members
- Photography Studio set-up 204 photos, 250 members
- Metroblogging Pittsburgh 228 photos, 38 members
- Musical Instruments [NO PEOPLE] 29,454 photos, 6,926 members
- DIYPhotography 28,291 photos, 12,247 members
- Sweet Digs Los Angeles 2,536 photos, 77 members
- CHRISTMAS WORLDWIDE Flickr's #1 Xmas Group 112,747 photos, 17,468 members
- Vancouver 167,906 photos, 7,182 members
- Art Museum 312 photos, 122 members
- Around the World Landscapes 26,387 photos, 7,339 members
- Me, myself and my camera 2,329 photos, 2,446 members
- blogdowntown 12,158 photos, 250 members
- Baseball 73,129 photos, 5,133 members
- Meet me at the Fair 22,665 photos, 2,585 members
- Your Own Worst Critic 236 photos, 125 members
- Photography Critique 4,076 photos, 14,293 members
- Camera Toss 7,720 photos, 14,050 members
- Ultimate Score Me (POST 1 - SCORE 5) 33,601 photos, 5,733 members
- Score Me! (post 1, score 5) 331,204 photos, 35,542 members
- So. Cal Shooters 76,919 photos, 1,394 members
- Amateur Digital Photography/Help and Ideas 407,491 photos, 15,220 members
- Black and White 5,869,866 photos, 283,836 members
- Desert 41,444 photos, 3,936 members
- Utata 417,406 photos, 24,210 members
- LAist Featured Photos 99,821 photos, 2,203 members
- scouting 16,979 photos, 1,196 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,470,547 photos, 69,379 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 227,942 photos, 21,177 members
- Hit, Miss or Maybe..."Post one, vote on three" 190,534 photos, 19,138 members
- Los Angeles Photobloggers 17,745 photos, 592 members
- Los Angeles Metblogs / Blogging.la 19,023 photos, 483 members
- color whores 88,124 photos, 2,812 members
- Black & white portraits 315,329 photos, 29,388 members
- América En Blanco & Negro 23,543 photos, 1,523 members
- - I LOVE NATURE - 628,434 photos, 17,323 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 111,451 photos, 13,335 members
- Protests and Demonstrations 71,673 photos, 4,315 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 122,351 photos, 10,006 members
- Life of a Kitchen 35,268 photos, 3,563 members
- Los Angeles 191,557 photos, 10,076 members
manmadepants doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- January 2007
- Athens, PA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Second Helping's - Sketch Comedy