"You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it."
Hi everyone! My name is Tony. I live in Los Angeles, California and I am definitely not a pro. But I do feel like I've got a decent eye for the picture and I've loved taking pictures my entire life.
I moved out to LA from Pennsylvania about three years ago to pursue a career in film/TV production but ended up working for a non-profit only to find it infinitely more satisfying and rewarding. Although, the pay isn't very good. But it wasn't that good in production either, so I kind of break even.
I've found LA to be filled with millions of images waiting to be taken. From beautiful homes to gritty streets, I could literally shoot for hours and only have seen a fraction of what there is to see. And as long as I'm here I will continue to shoot what I find interesting.
I guess my style would fall under the photo journalistic umbrella. I don't really like set ups. I'd rather just capture life as it happens. I think there is enough humor, drama, irony, etc to capture in the real world that I don't feel the need to recreate it in a studio. I did enough of that in production. I've always been a bit shy shooting people which is why, in most of my shots with people in them, they aren't looking directly at the camera. They're usually part of the background. And further, that's why most of my shots don't have people in them.
So my goal for the time being is to work on approaching people and incorporating them into my photos as the primary subjects. I've noticed that other peoples pictures that I'm drawn to most are ones with some sort of life in them (human life, that is.)
Up until about a month ago my primary camera was a Canon SD 800IS. And as far as point and shoots go, I love that camera. I am now shooting on a Nikon D40X Digital SLR which I find more challenging but ultimately the photos are more rewarding. I edit them in Iphoto, Capture NX and Photoshop CS3.
I hope everyone take the time to enjoy some of my photos and please leave lots of comments. Good, bad and ugly.
- B&W Bokeh and DoF (Depth of field) 1,857 photos, 324 members
- I Heart Photo! 1,382 photos, 66 members
- Damn! I Wish I'd Drank That!!! 8,192 photos, 1,300 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,302 photos, 1,293 members
- Barack Obama Photos 14,472 photos, 3,235 members
- Street or Studio 1,989 photos, 2,404 members
- FF3 T-Shirt Design Contest 1,010 photos, 3,313 members
- Nikon Digital 3,070,016 photos, 98,733 members
- Nikon D40/x/50/60/5000/3000/3100 and Friends Club 506,896 photos, 25,783 members
- Project 365 1,873,778 photos, 30,667 members
- PHOTO SMILES - Photos That Make You SMILE! Post 1/Award 2 82,674 photos, 5,963 members
- Photography Studio set-up 314 photos, 285 members
- Metroblogging Pittsburgh 230 photos, 38 members
- Musical Instruments [NO PEOPLE] 33,221 photos, 7,431 members
- DIYPhotography 50,851 photos, 12,610 members
- Sweet Digs Los Angeles 6,518 photos, 90 members
- CHRISTMAS WORLDWIDE Flickr's #1 Xmas Group 122,831 photos, 17,930 members
- Vancouver 205,440 photos, 7,860 members
- Art Museum 304 photos, 120 members
- Around the World Landscapes 25,581 photos, 8,030 members
- Me, myself and my camera 2,203 photos, 2,450 members
- blogdowntown 13,090 photos, 269 members
- Baseball 82,210 photos, 5,634 members
- Meet me at the Fair 25,520 photos, 2,804 members
- Your Own Worst Critic 236 photos, 124 members
- Photography Critique 4,993 photos, 15,356 members
- Camera Toss 7,776 photos, 18,792 members
- Ultimate Score Me (POST 1 - SCORE 5) 32,335 photos, 5,603 members
- Score Me! (post 1, score 5) 317,481 photos, 35,024 members
- So. Cal Shooters 95,411 photos, 1,523 members
- Amateur Digital Photography/Help and Ideas 683,297 photos, 19,022 members
- Black and White 6,870,777 photos, 345,579 members
- Desert 48,328 photos, 4,186 members
- Utata 454,214 photos, 27,261 members
- LAist Featured Photos 115,822 photos, 2,386 members
- scouting 16,093 photos, 1,273 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,533,804 photos, 83,356 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 344,038 photos, 26,914 members
- Hit, Miss or Maybe..."Post one, vote on three" 184,477 photos, 18,851 members
- Los Angeles Photobloggers 25,086 photos, 674 members
- Los Angeles Metblogs / Blogging.la 20,637 photos, 482 members
- color whores 106,954 photos, 2,887 members
- Black & white portraits 370,737 photos, 32,975 members
- América En Blanco & Negro 26,702 photos, 1,561 members
- - I LOVE NATURE - 1,620,217 photos, 48,800 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 112,593 photos, 12,344 members
- Protests and Demonstrations 79,807 photos, 4,505 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 143,041 photos, 10,691 members
- Life of a Kitchen 40,633 photos, 3,727 members
- Los Angeles 219,379 photos, 10,992 members
manmadepants doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- January 2007
- Athens, PA
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Second Helping's - Sketch Comedy