I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Old and New) 1,361 photos, 178 members
- #nycflickrmeetup 1,411 photos, 114 members
- sexy yoginis 64 photos, 156 members
- NYCphotowalkers 378 photos, 51 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 1,186 photos, 102 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 973 photos, 115 members
- Cano Cafenol 355 photos, 32 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 283,671 photos, 5,571 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 2 photos, 5 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 2,614 photos, 210 members
- StreetPhoto 1,401,972 photos, 31,161 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,924 photos, 83 members
- The NYC Subway 53,466 photos, 16,217 members
- The Public Space Group 170,214 photos, 11,692 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,714 photos, 437 members
- New York City Street Photography 147,902 photos, 6,404 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 4,351 photos, 306 members
- Street Photography 3,344 photos, 45,248 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 40 members
- iPhone Street Photography 36,283 photos, 1,829 members
- Seven by Five 52,595 photos, 2,153 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 47,737 photos, 1,339 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 350 photos, 21 members
- Urban Decay NYC 725 photos, 156 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 3 photos, 14 members
- Snow in the City 5,272 photos, 475 members
- SUB-NY 758 photos, 70 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 86,150 photos, 1,748 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 9,856 photos, 619 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 6,287 photos, 302 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 26,114 photos, 943 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 7,925 photos, 229 members
- iPhoneography 442,451 photos, 13,285 members
- Hipstamatic 317,648 photos, 16,314 members
- Candid Street 256,621 photos, 4,818 members
- Candid Street Photography Group 739,166 photos, 31,282 members
- Candid And Street 20,034 photos, 562 members
- OuterB 340 photos, 34 members
- Queens 23,028 photos, 1,164 members
- MAKE 68,421 photos, 7,927 members
- Lady Circus 363 photos, 118 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 855 photos, 45 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,437 photos, 309 members
- Urban Omnibus 88 photos, 60 members
- This is Now 26,089 photos, 7,771 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 815,074 photos, 33,630 members
- URBAN New York 139,903 photos, 7,380 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,668 photos, 199 members
- [CameraBag] 32,531 photos, 2,263 members
- STREET STORIES 639,990 photos, 12,023 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken