I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Old and New) 1,300 photos, 177 members
- #nycflickrmeetup 1,341 photos, 114 members
- sexy yoginis 60 photos, 154 members
- NYCphotowalkers 377 photos, 52 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 1,060 photos, 100 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 973 photos, 115 members
- Cano Cafenol 355 photos, 32 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 285,186 photos, 5,606 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 2 photos, 5 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 2,610 photos, 210 members
- StreetPhoto 1,369,216 photos, 30,825 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,928 photos, 83 members
- The NYC Subway 52,801 photos, 16,111 members
- The Public Space Group 170,019 photos, 11,725 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,749 photos, 433 members
- New York City Street Photography 144,799 photos, 6,377 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 4,192 photos, 300 members
- Street Photography 3,303 photos, 45,122 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 41 members
- iPhone Street Photography 35,320 photos, 1,811 members
- Seven by Five 54,472 photos, 2,160 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 47,354 photos, 1,342 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 350 photos, 21 members
- Urban Decay NYC 725 photos, 156 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 3 photos, 14 members
- Snow in the City 5,276 photos, 472 members
- SUB-NY 751 photos, 70 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 85,750 photos, 1,747 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 9,873 photos, 622 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 6,428 photos, 302 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 25,877 photos, 943 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 7,720 photos, 229 members
- iPhoneography 439,036 photos, 13,298 members
- Hipstamatic 316,607 photos, 16,362 members
- Candid Street 247,781 photos, 4,738 members
- Candid Street Photography Group 739,935 photos, 31,155 members
- Candid And Street 19,318 photos, 553 members
- OuterB 340 photos, 34 members
- Queens 22,929 photos, 1,162 members
- MAKE 68,134 photos, 7,937 members
- Lady Circus 366 photos, 117 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 855 photos, 45 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,481 photos, 310 members
- Urban Omnibus 88 photos, 60 members
- This is Now 25,963 photos, 7,755 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 807,977 photos, 33,639 members
- URBAN New York 138,830 photos, 7,355 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,677 photos, 199 members
- [CameraBag] 32,447 photos, 2,276 members
- STREET STORIES 622,200 photos, 11,875 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken