I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Old and New) 1,047 photos, 164 members
- #nycflickrmeetup 1,016 photos, 116 members
- sexy yoginis 62 photos, 136 members
- NYCphotowalkers 309 photos, 52 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 467 photos, 90 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 1,094 photos, 104 members
- Cano Cafenol 348 photos, 35 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 274,490 photos, 5,635 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 2 photos, 5 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 2,608 photos, 207 members
- StreetPhoto 1,119,901 photos, 26,584 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,857 photos, 79 members
- The NYC Subway 50,212 photos, 15,455 members
- The Public Space Group 165,417 photos, 11,814 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,583 photos, 393 members
- New York City Street Photography 124,208 photos, 6,013 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 3,034 photos, 275 members
- Street Photography 3,121 photos, 42,534 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 34 members
- iPhone Street Photography 27,937 photos, 1,523 members
- Seven by Five 52,411 photos, 2,221 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 40,620 photos, 1,313 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 350 photos, 21 members
- Urban Decay NYC 729 photos, 156 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 4 photos, 13 members
- Snow in the City 4,067 photos, 328 members
- SUB-NY 588 photos, 61 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 87,531 photos, 1,733 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 9,449 photos, 628 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 6,379 photos, 313 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 24,796 photos, 947 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 6,725 photos, 215 members
- iPhoneography 422,206 photos, 13,086 members
- Hipstamatic 324,525 photos, 16,774 members
- Candid Street 187,308 photos, 4,200 members
- Street Photography 758,110 photos, 29,600 members
- Candid And Street 15,347 photos, 479 members
- OuterB 340 photos, 34 members
- Queens 21,699 photos, 1,148 members
- MAKE 65,206 photos, 8,067 members
- Lady Circus 389 photos, 65 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 855 photos, 45 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,469 photos, 311 members
- Urban Omnibus 83 photos, 59 members
- This is Now 24,000 photos, 7,487 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 793,234 photos, 33,627 members
- URBAN New York 122,740 photos, 6,994 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,910 photos, 202 members
- [CameraBag] 32,494 photos, 2,343 members
- STREET STORIES 446,739 photos, 9,768 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken