I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Old and New) 1,133 photos, 168 members
- #nycflickrmeetup 1,080 photos, 116 members
- sexy yoginis 62 photos, 142 members
- NYCphotowalkers 330 photos, 53 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 539 photos, 92 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 1,094 photos, 105 members
- Cano Cafenol 352 photos, 36 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 278,730 photos, 5,649 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 2 photos, 5 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 2,687 photos, 207 members
- StreetPhoto 1,180,972 photos, 27,512 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,852 photos, 79 members
- The NYC Subway 50,166 photos, 15,692 members
- The Public Space Group 166,220 photos, 11,820 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,608 photos, 397 members
- New York City Street Photography 124,081 photos, 6,112 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 3,140 photos, 277 members
- Street Photography 3,184 photos, 43,260 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 38 members
- iPhone Street Photography 29,053 photos, 1,575 members
- Seven by Five 53,576 photos, 2,213 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 42,715 photos, 1,340 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 350 photos, 21 members
- Urban Decay NYC 717 photos, 156 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 4 photos, 13 members
- Snow in the City 4,086 photos, 332 members
- SUB-NY 637 photos, 64 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 87,892 photos, 1,740 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 9,461 photos, 631 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 6,497 photos, 314 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 25,005 photos, 945 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 6,939 photos, 218 members
- iPhoneography 429,640 photos, 13,167 members
- Hipstamatic 325,563 photos, 16,717 members
- Candid Street 200,574 photos, 4,332 members
- Street Photography 753,769 photos, 29,966 members
- Candid And Street 16,305 photos, 493 members
- OuterB 340 photos, 34 members
- Queens 21,926 photos, 1,155 members
- MAKE 65,822 photos, 8,057 members
- Lady Circus 389 photos, 66 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 855 photos, 45 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,471 photos, 312 members
- Urban Omnibus 83 photos, 59 members
- This is Now 24,813 photos, 7,591 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 804,381 photos, 33,729 members
- URBAN New York 126,706 photos, 7,084 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,929 photos, 202 members
- [CameraBag] 32,648 photos, 2,336 members
- STREET STORIES 486,107 photos, 10,263 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken