I am a photographer that focuses on the urban environment and the people who interact with it. I am fascinated with capturing spaces in transition. I love to anticipate the moment and take a documentary style approach to each of my image and prefer to shoot my subject "as they are" in life, focusing on the beauty of the so-called ordinary. To me, photography is not about the medium utilized to achieve this effect, but rather the composition, the mood, and the narrative. By editing every piece of work, regardless of tool used (or app), I achieve greater control to convey this message.
After dabbling with photography from a young age, it was an urban studies class, "Urban Aesthetics" that I took in 1997 that really made me fall in love with street photography and gave me a new found appreciation on my hometown of NYC. We traveled each day to a new location of significant historical, architectural, or cultural significance; being a keen observer was essential. I dragged my SLR with me every day & for my final, I completed a photo essay and was still infected by the need to shoot long after the class was completed.
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in Queens and currently reside right on the tip of where Woodside, Elmhurst, and Jackson Heights meet. I feel fortunate to have grown up right in the melting pot.
My images have been published in: Gothamist, The New York Observer, The Village Voice, Curbed, WNYC.org, The Wall Street Journal (blog), O'Reilly Media, Dwell Magazine Online, NYC.gov, The Brooklyn Paper, and Grubstreet among others. I was also commissioned to shoot one of the girls profiled in the Penguin/Puffin book, "Girls Gone Green" published in 2010.
My current equipment: Canon Xsi & iPhone 3G
Past: Canon S1is, Olympus e500
Software: Lightroom, Photoshop, Tiffen dfx (both for iPhone & standalone for Mac), Camerabag, and Hipstamatic.
Lately, I have been using my iPhone for daily photography. Images shot in Hipstamatic & post-production in Tiffen FX.
Check out my photoblog The Candid City (and beyond)
Become a fan on Facebook!
- #nycflickrmeetup 1,019 photos, 116 members
- sexy yoginis 62 photos, 133 members
- NYCphotowalkers 296 photos, 48 members
- Toasted Cheese Literary Journal 342 photos, 86 members
- Gemini & Scorpio Party Pics 1,096 photos, 101 members
- Cano Cafenol 343 photos, 33 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 265,412 photos, 5,593 members
- QPTV Photo of the Week 2 photos, 5 members
- HipstaStreet (candid people shots by iPhone Hipstamatic please!) 2,336 photos, 203 members
- StreetPhoto 992,358 photos, 24,788 members
- Modern Day "Many Are Called" Walker Evans Style Subway Photos 2,796 photos, 76 members
- The NYC Subway 48,587 photos, 14,523 members
- The Public Space Group 161,777 photos, 11,796 members
- iPhone Photo fx App (Tiffen) 3,474 photos, 382 members
- New York City Street Photography 110,656 photos, 5,735 members
- Hardcore Cell Phone Street Photography 2,813 photos, 253 members
- Street Photography 2,957 photos, 40,734 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 36 members
- iPhone Street Photography 26,364 photos, 1,364 members
- Seven by Five 50,018 photos, 2,230 members
- ღ~P E O P L E~ღ comment 1 per post 39,137 photos, 1,269 members
- NYC Blizzard 2010 349 photos, 21 members
- Urban Decay NYC 726 photos, 154 members
- 2010: Your Best Photo 4 photos, 13 members
- Snow in the City 3,516 photos, 294 members
- SUB-NY 491 photos, 51 members
- Hipstamatic Addicts 85,589 photos, 1,721 members
- Hipstamatic Random Addicts 9,270 photos, 632 members
- The Hipsters: Creative Hipstamatic photography 6,130 photos, 313 members
- Iphone Hipstamatic 24,174 photos, 945 members
- Department Stores Luxury and Specialty 6,325 photos, 205 members
- iPhoneography 407,372 photos, 12,881 members
- Hipstamatic 321,144 photos, 16,790 members
- Candid Street 158,850 photos, 3,877 members
- Street Photography Group 764,881 photos, 28,943 members
- Candid And Street 13,256 photos, 438 members
- OuterB 340 photos, 34 members
- Queens 21,148 photos, 1,138 members
- MAKE 64,781 photos, 8,048 members
- Lady Circus 389 photos, 65 members
- World Maker Faire 2010 @ NYSCI 856 photos, 45 members
- Midtown Lunch 3,466 photos, 310 members
- Urban Omnibus 82 photos, 59 members
- This is Now 22,620 photos, 7,238 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 771,656 photos, 33,293 members
- URBAN New York 114,407 photos, 6,765 members
- Hipstamatic NYC 3,783 photos, 197 members
- [CameraBag] 32,040 photos, 2,345 members
- STREET STORIES 365,576 photos, 8,817 members
- WE WANT THE OLD LAYOUT OF OUR PHOTO PAGE (P1 / A2) 6,288 photos, 1,607 members
bondidwhat doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bonnie Natko
- June 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken