Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
Well I guess this is the place where we bragg about our long history of photography so here goes:
Shortly after the birth of our first born we were given our first camera, a 126 carttrige thingy of some sorts, used. A few years later the in-laws upgraded and we were given their old camera, a 35mm point & shoot, and over the years perhaps a few more, even a panoramic camera. Eventually we took the big plunge to a brand new camera a 35mm Safari Starshot , it was red.
Then perhaps 3 years ago, our son, with the aid of a college education and a decent job, aquired a Pentax P&S. This rekindled the wifes interest in photography. We became the proud owners of a Pentax 35mm slr. It didn't take long to realize that the cost were creeping up so 2 years ago we purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, which I found very interesting. Shortly after our son upgraded to a Pentax digital slr, for some reason, unknown to me at the time, his pictures seemed better, but I was having fun anyway.
Following the adventures of John & Bob on their web sites, we ventured out one cold winter evening under a full moon in Jan '06, where the Panasonic proved to be useless and my film slr gave decent results, a month later, while the son had instant pictures, leaving me frustrated. 3 months later, I was the proud owner of a shiny brand new Pentax *ist DS2. (notice how the camera ownership has drifted from, our, to mine. My first photo with this camera is dated April 8, 2006.
So you can see I have a long history of capturing images,
spanning some 36 years, shooting as many 1 or 2 rolls of film a year (some times we had 2 Christmas's on a roll).
I try to look at the funny side of things, I love to laugh, all to
often at someone else' s expense. But I'm working on that,
trying to become a better person.
My photo's, are taken for pleasure, I do not consider them
"work". Trying to teach an old dog new tricks seems to describe me, but I enjoy it, so I continue.
I'm a TEENAGER at heart, living in a 60+ yr old male body
Married with 3 grandsons.
UPDATE: Val wanted my DS2, so I bought the K10D.....
UPDATE: Val wanted the K10D, so I bought the K20D....
UPDATE: Val bought me the K7, and I kept the K20D :)
a submission to Photo life magazine yielded a nice Epson1400 printer :)
my wife Val followed close behind with second place...
I was lucky enough to have an image setected for the cover of Better Photography.
Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
- Pentax K3 II 13,157 photos, 300 members
- Fifty-Two in Twenty-Fifteen 97 photos, 6 members
- Into the Night Photography 53,315 photos, 2,206 members
- PentaxOnline 2,487 photos, 174 members
- Lightning 44,727 photos, 16,438 members
- Best of Star Trails 382 photos, 849 members
- Light Paint 59,835 photos, 6,095 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,621 photos, 8,413 members
- Project Weather 629,083 photos, 93,347 members
- night fever 7,428 photos, 273 members
- Pentax K-7 76,608 photos, 2,022 members
- [Star Trails] 22,326 photos, 5,809 members
- •:*¨¨*:• beauty by you •:*¨¨*:• 130 photos, 11 members
- Models 495,811 photos, 20,919 members
- Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] 5,959 photos, 285 members
- Elite Star Trails (single frame long exposures only) 194 photos, 1,233 members
- Pentax K20D / Samsung GX-20 71,184 photos, 2,049 members
- Lake Erie 8,092 photos, 693 members
- Nocturnal Masterpiece (1000 Views or 100 Faves) 383 photos, 87 members
- Night Photography 618,766 photos, 32,589 members
- Bruce Peninsula National Park 1,490 photos, 191 members
- Night shooters 285,920 photos, 15,515 members
- Super Long Exposures 5min+ 1,013 photos, 339 members
- Flickr First 251 photos, 351 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 430,146 photos, 29,817 members
- Pentax K10D / Samsung GX-10 106,926 photos, 3,593 members
- [Noctography] 117,159 photos, 5,417 members
- Windmills: The old fashioned kind. 4,451 photos, 981 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 15,275 photos, 4,294 members
- Plustek OpticFilm 7200 1,674 photos, 112 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,271,943 photos, 44,975 members
- Ontario: Yours to Discover 244,141 photos, 4,739 members
- Beautiful Clouds 296,551 photos, 22,373 members
- night over water - night at the waterside -- nowat 1,277 photos, 144 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 35,461 photos, 487 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 489,072 photos, 13,770 members
- The Abandoned 117,243 photos, 2,095 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 615,467 photos, 18,153 members
- Very Long Exposure (30 seconds or more) 64,800 photos, 6,228 members
- Rural Decay 238,917 photos, 46,525 members
- Nocturnes - Night Photography 423,057 photos, 24,082 members
- London and South West Ontario Canada 19,807 photos, 653 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 29,718 photos, 2,156 members
- Full Moon 10,953 photos, 2,752 members
- Bridges at Night 27,722 photos, 5,219 members
- Bathed In Moonlight 5,172 photos, 446 members
- Star Trails 25,521 photos, 11,582 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 332,549 photos, 16,615 members
- Night Crawlers 36,646 photos, 1,697 members
- nighthawks 352,652 photos, 20,010 members
"Bob West has become one of those photographers you look towards to find the types of photographs not taken by the average person. Each of his images shows dedication to the art of photography, and any fan of nocturnal photography should check out his work."
March 17th, 2009
"As I Look With Pleasure At The Scale And Structure Which Bob West Expertly Portrays,,,I Am Truly Amazed !!!
The``Contrast``Of Beautiful Color Makes Every Shot A Pure Delight
To Admire.Truly A Natural Gifted Photographer With So Many Talents.
Thank You Bob For Sharing Your Constructive Eye Behind The Lens !"
February 8th, 2009
"I was original referred to Bob's photostream by Steve Harper which is alone testimonial enough to Bob's fantastic night work. I look at the body of Bob West's night work as I would for any of the well known masters of photography such as Eggleston or Meyerowitz. Every visit here is inspiration and wonderment."
December 31st, 2008
"King of Night and Long Exposure Photography. I challenge any Flickr find a better night photographer"
November 19th, 2008
Nick JH says:
"Everytime I visit Bob's photostream im left with my jaw hitting my toes, he never fails to impress me with the high quality of work displayed in his photo stream which is constantly improving and getting better,
a pure inspiriation!"
March 8th, 2008
_Val W says:
"As my in home technical advisor on all things photography related, Bob is definately very understanding, and most of the time a patient teacher. We have found that we both enjoy the hiking and camping and pretty much the outdoors. Now we are both lugging our camera equipment with us. We see the world through different lenses which makes for some pretty interesting photos. His persistance for details always comes across in his pics and his love of night photography shows his ability to "get that perfect capture". He is a great Hubby and Friend ;-}"
February 23rd, 2008
Mac Danzig Photography says:
"Bob has one of my favorite photostreams on Flickr. As a photographer, he has made the most of his surroundings, and brought about a view of Lake Erie that few people have seen. He shares the same passion for long exposures as I do, and is one of the few "true" star trail photographers out there that does it right. There is an art to long exposures and few have mastered it in the way Bob has...
Plus he's Canadian."
January 4th, 2008
Midnight - Digital says:
"Bob is one of the coolest night shooter on Flickr. His abilities to catch the night feeling are just awesome.
He is a very talented photographer, his gallery testifies of it. Take the time to visit his photos, you will be blown away by his talent for the night and landscape pictures.
I always look forward to seeing his new productions."
January 29th, 2008
blue-eyed sleet says:
"I always look forward to Bobs uploads and when i see his pics on my contacts page i know I'm about to see something special."
November 21st, 2007
After Dark Photo says:
"Of all the contacts in my FLICKR file, Bob is one that I am always excited to see new things from. He has a trademark blue that I find highly enjoyable. His style and sense of wide open spaces come to life in his night shots and his love for star trails. I'd have to say he has pushed me to try and find "my thing." His post processing skills are excellent. I think if you thumb through his stream...you'll be pleasantly surprised at the things Bob sees and what he can show you. I know I will never see blue the same way again....it had become my new favorite color. Thanks for that Bob"
May 28th, 2007
- Bob West
- February 2006
- Ridgetown, Ontario, Canada
- I am: