Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
Well I guess this is the place where we bragg about our long history of photography so here goes:
Shortly after the birth of our first born we were given our first camera, a 126 carttrige thingy of some sorts, used. A few years later the in-laws upgraded and we were given their old camera, a 35mm point & shoot, and over the years perhaps a few more, even a panoramic camera. Eventually we took the big plunge to a brand new camera a 35mm Safari Starshot , it was red.
Then perhaps 3 years ago, our son, with the aid of a college education and a decent job, aquired a Pentax P&S. This rekindled the wifes interest in photography. We became the proud owners of a Pentax 35mm slr. It didn't take long to realize that the cost were creeping up so 2 years ago we purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, which I found very interesting. Shortly after our son upgraded to a Pentax digital slr, for some reason, unknown to me at the time, his pictures seemed better, but I was having fun anyway.
Following the adventures of John & Bob on their web sites, we ventured out one cold winter evening under a full moon in Jan '06, where the Panasonic proved to be useless and my film slr gave decent results, a month later, while the son had instant pictures, leaving me frustrated. 3 months later, I was the proud owner of a shiny brand new Pentax *ist DS2. (notice how the camera ownership has drifted from, our, to mine. My first photo with this camera is dated April 8, 2006.
So you can see I have a long history of capturing images,
spanning some 36 years, shooting as many 1 or 2 rolls of film a year (some times we had 2 Christmas's on a roll).
I try to look at the funny side of things, I love to laugh, all to
often at someone else' s expense. But I'm working on that,
trying to become a better person.
My photo's, are taken for pleasure, I do not consider them
"work". Trying to teach an old dog new tricks seems to describe me, but I enjoy it, so I continue.
I'm a TEENAGER at heart, living in a 60+ yr old male body
Married with 3 grandsons.
UPDATE: Val wanted my DS2, so I bought the K10D.....
UPDATE: Val wanted the K10D, so I bought the K20D....
UPDATE: Val bought me the K7, and I kept the K20D :)
a submission to Photo life magazine yielded a nice Epson1400 printer :)
my wife Val followed close behind with second place...
I was lucky enough to have an image setected for the cover of Better Photography.
Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
Photos of Bob West (11)
- Into the Night Photography 14,497 photos, 1,083 members
- PentaxOnline 2,589 photos, 162 members
- Lightning 33,673 photos, 13,414 members
- Best of Star Trails 279 photos, 418 members
- Light Paint 40,636 photos, 4,945 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 14,150 photos, 6,444 members
- Project Weather 158,331 photos, 38,446 members
- night fever 3,620 photos, 157 members
- Pentax K-7 66,646 photos, 1,936 members
- [Star Trails] 14,427 photos, 4,068 members
- •:*¨¨*:• beauty by you •:*¨¨*:• 131 photos, 11 members
- Models 287,981 photos, 13,739 members
- Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] 2,928 photos, 162 members
- Elite Star Trails (single frame long exposures only) 206 photos, 908 members
- Pentax K20D / Samsung GX-20 67,015 photos, 2,034 members
- Lake Erie 6,445 photos, 574 members
- Nocturnal Masterpiece (1000 Views or 100 Faves) 376 photos, 87 members
- Night Photography 345,571 photos, 22,204 members
- Bruce Peninsula National Park 980 photos, 145 members
- Night shooters 81,821 photos, 5,553 members
- Super Long Exposures 5min+ 926 photos, 314 members
- Flickr First 248 photos, 346 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 227,567 photos, 21,164 members
- Pentax K10D / Samsung GX-10 100,438 photos, 3,528 members
- [Noctography] 65,298 photos, 4,071 members
- Windmills: The old fashioned kind. 3,021 photos, 776 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 11,975 photos, 3,639 members
- Plustek OpticFilm 7200 1,315 photos, 97 members
- Film is not Dead!! 1,568,897 photos, 35,858 members
- Ontario: Yours to Discover 149,893 photos, 4,041 members
- Beautiful Clouds 250,204 photos, 17,659 members
- night over water - night at the waterside -- nowat 1,146 photos, 150 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 19,530 photos, 372 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 333,353 photos, 10,798 members
- The Abandoned 67,552 photos, 1,478 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 385,312 photos, 13,425 members
- Very Long Exposure (30 seconds or more) 33,885 photos, 4,338 members
- Rural Decay 184,531 photos, 33,278 members
- Nocturnes - Night Photography 276,837 photos, 18,750 members
- London and South West Ontario Canada 14,545 photos, 608 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 18,982 photos, 1,802 members
- Full Moon 8,000 photos, 2,360 members
- Bridges at Night 22,531 photos, 4,770 members
- Bathed In Moonlight 3,944 photos, 408 members
- Star Trails 20,001 photos, 8,081 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 276,053 photos, 15,194 members
- Night Crawlers 14,648 photos, 559 members
- nighthawks 278,397 photos, 18,794 members
- Nocturnes 24,886 photos, 1,036 members
- Night Images 949,728 photos, 123,440 members
"Bob West has become one of those photographers you look towards to find the types of photographs not taken by the average person. Each of his images shows dedication to the art of photography, and any fan of nocturnal photography should check out his work."
17th March, 2009
"As I Look With Pleasure At The Scale And Structure Which Bob West Expertly Portrays,,,I Am Truly Amazed !!!
The``Contrast``Of Beautiful Color Makes Every Shot A Pure Delight
To Admire.Truly A Natural Gifted Photographer With So Many Talents.
Thank You Bob For Sharing Your Constructive Eye Behind The Lens !"
8th February, 2009
"I was original referred to Bob's photostream by Steve Harper which is alone testimonial enough to Bob's fantastic night work. I look at the body of Bob West's night work as I would for any of the well known masters of photography such as Eggleston or Meyerowitz. Every visit here is inspiration and wonderment."
31st December, 2008
"King of Night and Long Exposure Photography. I challenge any Flickr find a better night photographer"
19th November, 2008
Nick JH says:
"Everytime I visit Bob's photostream im left with my jaw hitting my toes, he never fails to impress me with the high quality of work displayed in his photo stream which is constantly improving and getting better,
a pure inspiriation!"
8th March, 2008
_Val W says:
"As my in home technical advisor on all things photography related, Bob is definately very understanding, and most of the time a patient teacher. We have found that we both enjoy the hiking and camping and pretty much the outdoors. Now we are both lugging our camera equipment with us. We see the world through different lenses which makes for some pretty interesting photos. His persistance for details always comes across in his pics and his love of night photography shows his ability to "get that perfect capture". He is a great Hubby and Friend ;-}"
23rd February, 2008
Mac Danzig Photography says:
"Bob has one of my favorite photostreams on Flickr. As a photographer, he has made the most of his surroundings, and brought about a view of Lake Erie that few people have seen. He shares the same passion for long exposures as I do, and is one of the few "true" star trail photographers out there that does it right. There is an art to long exposures and few have mastered it in the way Bob has...
Plus he's Canadian."
4th January, 2008
Midnight - digital says:
"Bob is one of the coolest night shooter on Flickr. His abilities to catch the night feeling are just awesome.
He is a very talented photographer, his gallery testifies of it. Take the time to visit his photos, you will be blown away by his talent for the night and landscape pictures.
I always look forward to seeing his new productions."
29th January, 2008
James Thomas Rowe says:
"I always look forward to Bobs uploads and when i see his pics on my contacts page i know I'm about to see something special."
21st November, 2007
After Dark Photo says:
"Of all the contacts in my FLICKR file, Bob is one that I am always excited to see new things from. He has a trademark blue that I find highly enjoyable. His style and sense of wide open spaces come to life in his night shots and his love for star trails. I'd have to say he has pushed me to try and find "my thing." His post processing skills are excellent. I think if you thumb through his stream...you'll be pleasantly surprised at the things Bob sees and what he can show you. I know I will never see blue the same way again....it had become my new favorite color. Thanks for that Bob"
28th May, 2007
- Bob West
- February 2006
- Ridgetown, Ontario, Canada
- I am: