Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
Well I guess this is the place where we bragg about our long history of photography so here goes:
Shortly after the birth of our first born we were given our first camera, a 126 carttrige thingy of some sorts, used. A few years later the in-laws upgraded and we were given their old camera, a 35mm point & shoot, and over the years perhaps a few more, even a panoramic camera. Eventually we took the big plunge to a brand new camera a 35mm Safari Starshot , it was red.
Then perhaps 3 years ago, our son, with the aid of a college education and a decent job, aquired a Pentax P&S. This rekindled the wifes interest in photography. We became the proud owners of a Pentax 35mm slr. It didn't take long to realize that the cost were creeping up so 2 years ago we purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, which I found very interesting. Shortly after our son upgraded to a Pentax digital slr, for some reason, unknown to me at the time, his pictures seemed better, but I was having fun anyway.
Following the adventures of John & Bob on their web sites, we ventured out one cold winter evening under a full moon in Jan '06, where the Panasonic proved to be useless and my film slr gave decent results, a month later, while the son had instant pictures, leaving me frustrated. 3 months later, I was the proud owner of a shiny brand new Pentax *ist DS2. (notice how the camera ownership has drifted from, our, to mine. My first photo with this camera is dated April 8, 2006.
So you can see I have a long history of capturing images,
spanning some 36 years, shooting as many 1 or 2 rolls of film a year (some times we had 2 Christmas's on a roll).
I try to look at the funny side of things, I love to laugh, all to
often at someone else' s expense. But I'm working on that,
trying to become a better person.
My photo's, are taken for pleasure, I do not consider them
"work". Trying to teach an old dog new tricks seems to describe me, but I enjoy it, so I continue.
I'm a TEENAGER at heart, living in a 60+ yr old male body
Married with 3 grandsons.
UPDATE: Val wanted my DS2, so I bought the K10D.....
UPDATE: Val wanted the K10D, so I bought the K20D....
UPDATE: Val bought me the K7, and I kept the K20D :)
a submission to Photo life magazine yielded a nice Epson1400 printer :)
my wife Val followed close behind with second place...
I was lucky enough to have an image setected for the cover of Better Photography.
Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
- Pentax K3 II 3,556 photos, 176 members
- Fifty-Two in Twenty-Fifteen 98 photos, 6 members
- Into the Night Photography 42,852 photos, 2,120 members
- PentaxOnline 2,485 photos, 181 members
- Lightning 42,679 photos, 16,028 members
- Best of Star Trails 342 photos, 719 members
- Light Paint 54,622 photos, 5,913 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,778 photos, 7,897 members
- Project Weather 641,788 photos, 94,033 members
- night fever 6,330 photos, 240 members
- Pentax K-7 75,121 photos, 2,021 members
- [Star Trails] 20,255 photos, 5,480 members
- •:*¨¨*:• beauty by you •:*¨¨*:• 131 photos, 10 members
- Models 429,042 photos, 19,002 members
- Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] 4,807 photos, 253 members
- Elite Star Trails (single frame long exposures only) 196 photos, 1,206 members
- Pentax K20D / Samsung GX-20 70,226 photos, 2,042 members
- Lake Erie 7,595 photos, 671 members
- Nocturnal Masterpiece (1000 Views or 100 Faves) 386 photos, 87 members
- Night Photography 534,735 photos, 29,956 members
- Bruce Peninsula National Park 1,430 photos, 179 members
- Night shooters 221,431 photos, 13,028 members
- Super Long Exposures 5min+ 1,017 photos, 342 members
- Flickr First 249 photos, 353 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 365,638 photos, 27,731 members
- Pentax K10D / Samsung GX-10 106,720 photos, 3,602 members
- [Noctography] 104,534 photos, 5,162 members
- Windmills: The old fashioned kind. 3,641 photos, 914 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 14,332 photos, 4,167 members
- Plustek OpticFilm 7200 1,584 photos, 106 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,141,127 photos, 42,719 members
- Ontario: Yours to Discover 216,724 photos, 4,621 members
- Beautiful Clouds 298,629 photos, 21,860 members
- night over water - night at the waterside -- nowat 1,259 photos, 146 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 30,838 photos, 455 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 450,834 photos, 12,911 members
- The Abandoned 101,936 photos, 1,956 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 547,725 photos, 16,981 members
- Very Long Exposure (30 seconds or more) 57,069 photos, 5,921 members
- Rural Decay 231,426 photos, 44,951 members
- Nocturnes - Night Photography 384,829 photos, 22,886 members
- London and South West Ontario Canada 18,630 photos, 651 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 25,019 photos, 2,063 members
- Full Moon 10,118 photos, 2,680 members
- Bridges at Night 26,396 photos, 5,130 members
- Bathed In Moonlight 4,868 photos, 440 members
- Star Trails 24,840 photos, 10,131 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 320,676 photos, 16,431 members
- Night Crawlers 28,594 photos, 1,325 members
- nighthawks 333,355 photos, 19,940 members
"Bob West has become one of those photographers you look towards to find the types of photographs not taken by the average person. Each of his images shows dedication to the art of photography, and any fan of nocturnal photography should check out his work."
March 17th, 2009
"As I Look With Pleasure At The Scale And Structure Which Bob West Expertly Portrays,,,I Am Truly Amazed !!!
The``Contrast``Of Beautiful Color Makes Every Shot A Pure Delight
To Admire.Truly A Natural Gifted Photographer With So Many Talents.
Thank You Bob For Sharing Your Constructive Eye Behind The Lens !"
February 8th, 2009
"I was original referred to Bob's photostream by Steve Harper which is alone testimonial enough to Bob's fantastic night work. I look at the body of Bob West's night work as I would for any of the well known masters of photography such as Eggleston or Meyerowitz. Every visit here is inspiration and wonderment."
December 31st, 2008
"King of Night and Long Exposure Photography. I challenge any Flickr find a better night photographer"
November 19th, 2008
Nick JH says:
"Everytime I visit Bob's photostream im left with my jaw hitting my toes, he never fails to impress me with the high quality of work displayed in his photo stream which is constantly improving and getting better,
a pure inspiriation!"
March 8th, 2008
_Val W says:
"As my in home technical advisor on all things photography related, Bob is definately very understanding, and most of the time a patient teacher. We have found that we both enjoy the hiking and camping and pretty much the outdoors. Now we are both lugging our camera equipment with us. We see the world through different lenses which makes for some pretty interesting photos. His persistance for details always comes across in his pics and his love of night photography shows his ability to "get that perfect capture". He is a great Hubby and Friend ;-}"
February 23rd, 2008
Mac Danzig Photography says:
"Bob has one of my favorite photostreams on Flickr. As a photographer, he has made the most of his surroundings, and brought about a view of Lake Erie that few people have seen. He shares the same passion for long exposures as I do, and is one of the few "true" star trail photographers out there that does it right. There is an art to long exposures and few have mastered it in the way Bob has...
Plus he's Canadian."
January 4th, 2008
Midnight - Digital says:
"Bob is one of the coolest night shooter on Flickr. His abilities to catch the night feeling are just awesome.
He is a very talented photographer, his gallery testifies of it. Take the time to visit his photos, you will be blown away by his talent for the night and landscape pictures.
I always look forward to seeing his new productions."
January 29th, 2008
James Thomas Rowe says:
"I always look forward to Bobs uploads and when i see his pics on my contacts page i know I'm about to see something special."
November 21st, 2007
After Dark Photo says:
"Of all the contacts in my FLICKR file, Bob is one that I am always excited to see new things from. He has a trademark blue that I find highly enjoyable. His style and sense of wide open spaces come to life in his night shots and his love for star trails. I'd have to say he has pushed me to try and find "my thing." His post processing skills are excellent. I think if you thumb through his stream...you'll be pleasantly surprised at the things Bob sees and what he can show you. I know I will never see blue the same way again....it had become my new favorite color. Thanks for that Bob"
May 28th, 2007
- Bob West
- February 2006
- Ridgetown, Ontario, Canada
- I am: