Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
Well I guess this is the place where we bragg about our long history of photography so here goes:
Shortly after the birth of our first born we were given our first camera, a 126 carttrige thingy of some sorts, used. A few years later the in-laws upgraded and we were given their old camera, a 35mm point & shoot, and over the years perhaps a few more, even a panoramic camera. Eventually we took the big plunge to a brand new camera a 35mm Safari Starshot , it was red.
Then perhaps 3 years ago, our son, with the aid of a college education and a decent job, aquired a Pentax P&S. This rekindled the wifes interest in photography. We became the proud owners of a Pentax 35mm slr. It didn't take long to realize that the cost were creeping up so 2 years ago we purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, which I found very interesting. Shortly after our son upgraded to a Pentax digital slr, for some reason, unknown to me at the time, his pictures seemed better, but I was having fun anyway.
Following the adventures of John & Bob on their web sites, we ventured out one cold winter evening under a full moon in Jan '06, where the Panasonic proved to be useless and my film slr gave decent results, a month later, while the son had instant pictures, leaving me frustrated. 3 months later, I was the proud owner of a shiny brand new Pentax *ist DS2. (notice how the camera ownership has drifted from, our, to mine. My first photo with this camera is dated April 8, 2006.
So you can see I have a long history of capturing images,
spanning some 36 years, shooting as many 1 or 2 rolls of film a year (some times we had 2 Christmas's on a roll).
I try to look at the funny side of things, I love to laugh, all to
often at someone else' s expense. But I'm working on that,
trying to become a better person.
My photo's, are taken for pleasure, I do not consider them
"work". Trying to teach an old dog new tricks seems to describe me, but I enjoy it, so I continue.
I'm a TEENAGER at heart, living in a 60+ yr old male body
Married with 3 grandsons.
UPDATE: Val wanted my DS2, so I bought the K10D.....
UPDATE: Val wanted the K10D, so I bought the K20D....
UPDATE: Val bought me the K7, and I kept the K20D :)
a submission to Photo life magazine yielded a nice Epson1400 printer :)
my wife Val followed close behind with second place...
I was lucky enough to have an image setected for the cover of Better Photography.
Please, do not post flashy banners or group invites....
- Pentax K3 II 2,410 photos, 151 members
- Fifty-Two in Twenty-Fifteen 98 photos, 6 members
- Into the Night Photography 39,160 photos, 1,994 members
- PentaxOnline 2,486 photos, 183 members
- Lightning 41,766 photos, 15,843 members
- Best of Star Trails 326 photos, 673 members
- Light Paint 53,030 photos, 5,830 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,770 photos, 7,706 members
- Project Weather 645,110 photos, 93,682 members
- night fever 5,820 photos, 226 members
- Pentax K-7 74,774 photos, 2,004 members
- [Star Trails] 19,496 photos, 5,337 members
- •:*¨¨*:• beauty by you •:*¨¨*:• 130 photos, 10 members
- Models 409,577 photos, 18,453 members
- Pentax SMC DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF] 4,607 photos, 244 members
- Elite Star Trails (single frame long exposures only) 197 photos, 1,208 members
- Pentax K20D / Samsung GX-20 70,130 photos, 2,050 members
- Lake Erie 7,394 photos, 658 members
- Nocturnal Masterpiece (1000 Views or 100 Faves) 385 photos, 87 members
- Night Photography 509,789 photos, 29,107 members
- Bruce Peninsula National Park 1,391 photos, 174 members
- Night shooters 202,441 photos, 12,106 members
- Super Long Exposures 5min+ 1,019 photos, 342 members
- Flickr First 249 photos, 350 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 345,014 photos, 26,932 members
- Pentax K10D / Samsung GX-10 106,808 photos, 3,599 members
- [Noctography] 99,477 photos, 5,081 members
- Windmills: The old fashioned kind. 3,429 photos, 890 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 14,079 photos, 4,108 members
- Plustek OpticFilm 7200 1,555 photos, 104 members
- Film is not Dead!! 2,077,169 photos, 42,063 members
- Ontario: Yours to Discover 208,381 photos, 4,552 members
- Beautiful Clouds 296,514 photos, 21,578 members
- night over water - night at the waterside -- nowat 1,225 photos, 147 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 29,385 photos, 443 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 437,650 photos, 12,653 members
- The Abandoned 97,246 photos, 1,901 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 528,220 photos, 16,609 members
- Very Long Exposure (30 seconds or more) 54,042 photos, 5,787 members
- Rural Decay 225,316 photos, 42,564 members
- Nocturnes - Night Photography 371,891 photos, 22,454 members
- London and South West Ontario Canada 18,092 photos, 649 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 23,816 photos, 2,019 members
- Full Moon 9,901 photos, 2,634 members
- Bridges at Night 26,039 photos, 5,100 members
- Bathed In Moonlight 4,758 photos, 441 members
- Star Trails 24,407 photos, 9,649 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 316,441 photos, 16,332 members
- Night Crawlers 26,210 photos, 1,218 members
- nighthawks 326,659 photos, 19,858 members
"Bob West has become one of those photographers you look towards to find the types of photographs not taken by the average person. Each of his images shows dedication to the art of photography, and any fan of nocturnal photography should check out his work."
March 17th, 2009
"As I Look With Pleasure At The Scale And Structure Which Bob West Expertly Portrays,,,I Am Truly Amazed !!!
The``Contrast``Of Beautiful Color Makes Every Shot A Pure Delight
To Admire.Truly A Natural Gifted Photographer With So Many Talents.
Thank You Bob For Sharing Your Constructive Eye Behind The Lens !"
February 8th, 2009
"I was original referred to Bob's photostream by Steve Harper which is alone testimonial enough to Bob's fantastic night work. I look at the body of Bob West's night work as I would for any of the well known masters of photography such as Eggleston or Meyerowitz. Every visit here is inspiration and wonderment."
December 31st, 2008
"King of Night and Long Exposure Photography. I challenge any Flickr find a better night photographer"
November 19th, 2008
Nick JH says:
"Everytime I visit Bob's photostream im left with my jaw hitting my toes, he never fails to impress me with the high quality of work displayed in his photo stream which is constantly improving and getting better,
a pure inspiriation!"
March 8th, 2008
_Val W says:
"As my in home technical advisor on all things photography related, Bob is definately very understanding, and most of the time a patient teacher. We have found that we both enjoy the hiking and camping and pretty much the outdoors. Now we are both lugging our camera equipment with us. We see the world through different lenses which makes for some pretty interesting photos. His persistance for details always comes across in his pics and his love of night photography shows his ability to "get that perfect capture". He is a great Hubby and Friend ;-}"
February 23rd, 2008
Mac Danzig Photography says:
"Bob has one of my favorite photostreams on Flickr. As a photographer, he has made the most of his surroundings, and brought about a view of Lake Erie that few people have seen. He shares the same passion for long exposures as I do, and is one of the few "true" star trail photographers out there that does it right. There is an art to long exposures and few have mastered it in the way Bob has...
Plus he's Canadian."
January 4th, 2008
Midnight - digital says:
"Bob is one of the coolest night shooter on Flickr. His abilities to catch the night feeling are just awesome.
He is a very talented photographer, his gallery testifies of it. Take the time to visit his photos, you will be blown away by his talent for the night and landscape pictures.
I always look forward to seeing his new productions."
January 29th, 2008
James Thomas Rowe says:
"I always look forward to Bobs uploads and when i see his pics on my contacts page i know I'm about to see something special."
November 21st, 2007
After Dark Photo says:
"Of all the contacts in my FLICKR file, Bob is one that I am always excited to see new things from. He has a trademark blue that I find highly enjoyable. His style and sense of wide open spaces come to life in his night shots and his love for star trails. I'd have to say he has pushed me to try and find "my thing." His post processing skills are excellent. I think if you thumb through his stream...you'll be pleasantly surprised at the things Bob sees and what he can show you. I know I will never see blue the same way again....it had become my new favorite color. Thanks for that Bob"
May 28th, 2007
- Bob West
- February 2006
- Ridgetown, Ontario, Canada
- I am: