1. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander viewers are advised that this website may contain images and names of people who have died.
2. All images on the Local Studies Flickr site have been curated by Library staff from the larger, image library collection. Please attribute any secondary use to Blue Mountains Library, Local Studies Collection. This is reflected in the CC - attribution licencing.
More at: www.copyright.com.au/about-copyright/moral-rights/
Our Local Studies Flickr site is curated by the Local Studies Librarian at Blue Mountains Library, based at Springwood in New South Wales, Australia.
Donations of historic photos, slides, albumen prints, glass plate negatives and old family albums, as well as documentary material and books relating to the Blue Mountains, are always welcome, see contact below. If we cannot use it we will know another library or archive which will. Your donated material will be safely preserved and will become publicly accessible for use by students, researchers and future generations; and by doing so it will continue to gain value as a public good.
Here you will find selected high resolution images from our collection. Images which we think are useful, interesting, quirky, historically significant, posses artistic merit, or we just want to know more about.
Visitors are encouraged to post relevant comments and add more information. Please contact the Library direct with any historical or family history enquiries.
Thank you to our many enthusiastic viewers who have added so much useful information to our photos and images.
If you wish to post an image in a comment, please ensure it is thumbnail size or just a link. Posting a large image in a comment detracts from the main image and is bad manners. Large image comments will be deleted, and for the same reason access to Notes within images has been disabled.
All comments are moderated in light of the Library User Guidelines, which state among other things that users should:
be considerate of others
be polite to others
respect cultural differences
respect the rights of all library users and staff.
The full document is available at - library.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/client/en_AU/default/?rm=POLICIES...
The majority of these images are available under a Creative Commons, Share Alike licence, with attribution to Blue Mountains Library, see note above. Please leave a link to the image as used or a copy of the publication.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.
For any images used with the owner's permission and subject to copyright or where copyright is unclear, we have used the label "copyright reserved" please respect this.
In some cases we have named an owner who has donated the images for use, please acknowledge the source if you use them. In all cases we ask that you respect the intellectual property of the photographer if known.
Our new homepage : bmcc.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/default/
A larger collection of over 5,000 historical photos is accessible at the main library web site shown above.
Check out the Local Studies Blog for longer historical articles - bluemlocalstudies.wordpress.com/
The Local Studies Service
From a couple of shelves of books in 1982, the Local Studies Service it has grown into a collection that occupies three rooms of ‘Braemar’, an 1890s home attached to Springwood Library, and various cupboards and compactus bays in the downstairs section of the library.
The LS service and collections are used by a broad range of library patrons including students, local historians, family historians, independent researchers, heritage consultants, local businesses, visual and performing artists, writers, film makers, council and government departments etc., Utilisation of the physical and online resources has grown enormously since its inception and will continue to do so.
Annual Report 2017
Total views since July 2008 reached 8,700,379 on 1,107 images
Views for the year were 1,314,213
Most popular image was Kingsford Smith Park - 97,341 views
Average daily views - 3,600
Space used - 4.03GB
Sets - 101
Annual Report 2016
Total views since July 2008 reached 7,386,166 on 920 images.
Views for the year were just under 2 million.
Followers were 397.
The most popular image was Kingsford Smith Park at 74,292 - flic.kr/p/7jMSXn
A total of 10 images have now been in Explore, including two during the past year. They are shown in the photostream graphic.
The most Interesting photo is Dawson's Chambers 1885 with 39 comments - flic.kr/p/peNe9Y
The most Favourited photo is Weeping Rock 1880 with 127 faves.
Annual Report 2015
Total views reached 5.4 million on 790 images in 85 albums.
Groups administered were 59 with a further six moderated.
Followers were 341.
Another three images received Explore status.
Mid-year Report June 2015
Around 4,160,000 total views on 770 images.
The top 20 images have 25,000 - 35,000 each and daily views are running at 5,000 - 10, 000.
We administer 58 groups and moderate another five.
Five images are in Explore.
We have 295 followers and continue to benefit from the knowledge and hard work of our commentators who add valuable details and identifying information to our images - thank you every one.
Annual Report 2014
We finished the year with 2,850,000 total views on 740 images.
Our keen band of followers provided much useful information and added considerable value to the collection. They researched locations, provided commentary and simply shared their enjoyment of our historic images.
Mid Year Report 2014
All-time views reached 1,873,445 on 707 images, averaging 2,650 each.
Most popular image was Victoria Pass with 34,125 views and we had 223 keen followers.
Daily views are averaging around 5K and every image is viewed every day.
Our many followers continued to provide valuable comments that enrich and extend the usefulness of our images.
We currently administer 54 groups and moderate another six.
Annual Report 2013
We finished the year with 1,028,474 total views on 685 images.
Daily views averaged 3,000 - 4,000 and each image was viewed between 3 and 60 times daily.
Most popular was the Holden Monaro and the Buckle Mini Monaco on Craven A corner at Catalina Park Circuit with 7,238 views; followed by the Geological Sketch Map of Katoomba and Brief History of Coal Mining with 7,043. In the top 20 were the Granville Train Disaster images and the 1957 Bushfires.
Much useful information has emerged from comments and we have 206 enthusiastic followers.
Blue Mountains City Library
- Vintage Black and White photographs 24,612 photos, 449 members
- Unique Vintage Black & White Photos 8,801 photos, 195 members
- Vintage Bride 3,406 photos, 722 members
- Westland Aerospace 7,078 photos, 309 members
- RAAF - Royal Australian Air Force 10,421 photos, 480 members
- Early Aviation 5,964 photos, 244 members
- Biplanes and Vintage Aviation 7,347 photos, 167 members
- Vintage Photos of Aircraft 832 photos, 75 members
- Vintage Nurses and health care services 787 photos, 27 members
- Nursing History 856 photos, 76 members
- NURSES NOW and THEN 1,684 photos, 217 members
- Urban Drinking Fountains & Troughs 852 photos, 105 members
- The Reader 810 photos, 216 members
- Women and Girls Reading 1,615 photos, 275 members
- Reading Nook 51 photos, 37 members
- Pigeons & Doves of the World 369 photos, 64 members
- Vernacular Photo 20,800 photos, 614 members
- Granite landscapes 170 photos, 21 members
- Gas-Station 1,735 photos, 83 members
- Petrol Stations 3,350 photos, 296 members
- Crows, Ravens, Jays, Magpies & Butcherbirds 1,154 photos, 233 members
- Gunnedah & District 22 photos, 5 members
- Mudgee, Gulgong & District 101 photos, 18 members
- Surry Hills, Sydney 78 photos, 11 members
- Australian Places of Worship 1,235 photos, 20 members
- Sofala, NSW 220 photos, 45 members
- Kingfishers, Kookaburras, Pittas, Rollers, Bee-eaters 1,245 photos, 143 members
- The Great Aussie Petrol Station 769 photos, 112 members
- Service Stations 5,515 photos, 420 members
- Megapodes 109 photos, 18 members
- Shorebirds - Waders of Australasia 556 photos, 67 members
- Dorrigo and Bellingen 57 photos, 10 members
- Armidale and New England, NSW 1,189 photos, 41 members
- Parrots & Cockatoos of Australasia 701 photos, 82 members
- Woolloomooloo 240 photos, 19 members
- Blaxland, Glenbrook & District 18 photos, 8 members
- OBERON 620 photos, 33 members
- Square Australia 424 photos, 24 members
- RMBs... Roadside Mail Boxes 387 photos, 85 members
- Bills Horse Troughs 422 photos, 22 members
- Itinerant Street Photography (Australia) 63 photos, 20 members
- 3:1 Panoramic International 60 photos, 32 members
- Hands at Work 240 photos, 62 members
- Beasts of Burden 177 photos, 40 members
- Blue Mountains Ice and Snow 84 photos, 14 members
- in explore 991,123 photos, 81,963 members
- Milkman 95 photos, 14 members
- Trove: Australia in Pictures 382,341 photos, 3,792 members
- Henry Moore Sculptures 790 photos, 67 members
- Blue Mountains Invertebrates 92 photos, 11 members
JC Merriman says:
"This is a great site and well worth a look for anyone interested in Blue Mountains history as well as the collection of early photographs."
July 11th, 2015
"A great place to visit with some fine historical photos here, and I look forward to seeing new arrivals with much interest. Keep 'em coming!"
June 22nd, 2008
- May 2008
- Springwood, NSW
- Blue Mountains, Australia
- Librarian, historian
- Blue Mountains City Library