Hi, I'm John Merriman, the Local Studies Librarian at Blue Mountains City Library, based at Springwood in New South Wales, Australia.
Contact me at : firstname.lastname@example.org
My work phone is 02 4723 5044.
Here you will find selected high resolution images from our collection. Images which we think are useful, interesting, quirky, historically significant, posses artistic merit, or we just want to know more about.
Please feel free to comment and add more information if you wish. If you make an enquiry or comment on an image, we do ask, as a matter or courtesy, that you identify yourself and provide a profile or an email address so we can respond; otherwise you may wish to contact the Library direct with your enquiry.
Unfortunately we are unable to deal with requests to research Family History via Flickr. In most cases any personal information in captions is all the information we have to date or are able to supply.
If you wish to post an image comment, please ensure it is thumbnail size or just a link. Posting an image comment larger than the main image is bad manners. Large image comments will be deleted.
The majority of these images are available under a Creative commons share alike, non-commercial use only licence, with attribution to the library.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Please ask our permission before using any images and attribute to: Blue Mountains City Library, Local Studies Collection
For any images used with the owner's permsission and subject to copyright or where copyright is unclear, we have used the label "copyright reserved". Please respect this.
In some cases we have named an owner who has donated the images, please do likewise if you use them. In all cases we ask that you respect the intellectual property of the photographer if known.
Subject Headings are based on, but not restricted to, the Australian Pictorial Thesaurus - www.picturethesaurus.gov.au/
A larger image collection is available at the main library web site shown on this page.
You can find us at : www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/yourcommunity/library
The Local Studies Blog has more images and longer historical articles : bmlocalstudies.blogspot.com/
My library podcasts can be found here - listenersinthemist.podbean.com/
Contemporary Blue Mountains images may be found at my personal Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/merryjack/
Annual Report 2013
We finished the year with 1,028,474 total views on 685 images.
Daily views averaged 3,000 - 4,000 and each image was viewed between 3 and 60 times daily.
Most popular was the Holden Monaro and the Buckle Mini Monaco on Craven A corner at Catalina Park Circuit with 7,238 views; followed by the Geological Sketch Map of Katoomba and Brief History of Coal Mining with 7,043. In the top 20 were the Granville Train Disaster images and the 1957 Bushfires.
Much useful information has emerged from comments and we have 206 enthusiastic followers.
Groups we administer:
Blackheath NSW www.flickr.com/groups/blackheath_nsw/
Blue Mountains Birds www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_birds/
Blue Mountains By Night www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_by_night/
Blue Mountains Cemeteries www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_cemeteries/
Blue Mountains Gardens www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_gardens/
Blue Mountains Murals www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_murals/pool/
Blue Mountains Native Plants www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_native_plants/
Blue Mountains Public Art www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_public_art/
Blue Mountains Reptiles www.flickr.com/groups/blue_mountains_reptiles/
Hill End www.flickr.com/groups/hill_end/
Mount Victoria www.flickr.com/groups/mount_victoria_nsw/
Mount Wilson & surrounds
Sofala NSW www.flickr.com/groups/sofala/
Springwood NSW www.flickr.com/groups/springwood_nsw/
Square Australia www.flickr.com/groups/square_australia/
Wentworth Falls NSW www.flickr.com/groups/wentworth_falls_nsw/
If you have any early Blue Mountains photos you would like to donate to the library collection or you wish to use any of the images commercially, my email is shown here or send me a Flickr mail.
Thanks for stopping by. Cheers, John
- Royal Visits of Australia 66 photos, 16 members
- Victorian and Edwardian Theatre 3,443 photos, 186 members
- Edwardian and Victorian Theatre 902 photos, 104 members
- Photos and Other Images,1880s 965 photos, 40 members
- Vintage Stereoviews 2,174 photos, 127 members
- Blue Mountains Invertebrates 30 photos, 6 members
- Wiggley Tin 873 photos, 66 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 10,833 photos, 1,808 members
- Early Photographers in Victoria, Australia 339 photos, 15 members
- Antique Christmas: 1830-1945 1,876 photos, 389 members
- Christmas Past 1,204 photos, 158 members
- Animal Architecture 313 photos, 80 members
- Days Gone Australian Petrol Brands 377 photos, 23 members
- The Great Aussie Petrol Station 622 photos, 78 members
- Shorebirds - Waders of Australasia 286 photos, 32 members
- Australian bushfires 492 photos, 81 members
- Blue Mountains Bushfires 202 photos, 27 members
- Megapodes 72 photos, 12 members
- Vintage Cricket 1,221 photos, 12 members
- fun & freaky - vintage only 1,511 photos, 389 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 229 photos, 56 members
- Urban Drinking Fountains & Troughs 887 photos, 140 members
- Vintage group photos 198 photos, 4 members
- Vintage pics 17,866 photos, 376 members
- Vintage weddings 2,142 photos, 434 members
- Vintage Gardens and Gardeners 840 photos, 164 members
- Historic Australia 1901-1945 3,818 photos, 111 members
- Mudgee & Gulgong 68 photos, 12 members
- Vintage Australian Landscapes 67 photos, 8 members
- Wild Women of the Past 1,437 photos, 466 members
- Antique Animals 2,623 photos, 294 members
- Vintage Animals 3,444 photos, 310 members
- Vintage Landscapes 216 photos, 90 members
- 19th and 20th Century Correspondence 1,967 photos, 138 members
- Vintage Bedtime Illustrations 460 photos, 91 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,115 photos, 253 members
- Original 1940s Photos 6,397 photos, 621 members
- Original 1920s 2,105 photos, 162 members
- Vintage tea and cake. 207 photos, 36 members
- Vintage Musicians 1,461 photos, 198 members
- Vintage Cyclists 605 photos, 129 members
- Playthings of the Past: Antique Photos of Dolls, Toys, & Games 4,619 photos, 513 members
- Antique Photographs of Nature 151 photos, 63 members
- Vintage People with Animals 2,121 photos, 179 members
- Platinotype 872 photos, 177 members
- Old Maps 2,578 photos, 650 members
- Old postcards of the world 8,393 photos, 281 members
- 100 years old postcards, etc. 5,576 photos, 498 members
- Edwardian Elegance 1,701 photos, 106 members
- vintage postcards 70,648 photos, 2,404 members
"A great place to visit with some fine historical photos here, and I look forward to seeing new arrivals with much interest. Keep 'em coming!"
22nd June, 2008
J. C. Merriman says:
"This is a great little site just starting out and well worth a look for anyone interested in Blue Mountains history"
6th June, 2008
- May 2008
- Springwood, New South Wales
- City of Blue Mountains, Australia
- Librarian, historian
- Blue Mountains City Library