Our Local Studies Flickr group is run by the Local Studies Librarian at Blue Mountains City Library, based at Springwood in New South Wales, Australia.
Here you will find selected high resolution images from our collection. Images which we think are useful, interesting, quirky, historically significant, posses artistic merit, or we just want to know more about.
Please feel free to comment and add more information if you wish. Feel free to contact the Library direct with any historical or family history enquiries.
If you wish to post an image comment, please ensure it is thumbnail size or just a link. Posting an image comment larger than the main image is bad manners. Large image comments will be deleted.
The majority of these images are available under a Creative commons, share alike licence, with attribution to Blue Mountains City Library. Please send us a link to the image as used or a copy of the publication.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.
For any images used with the owner's permission and subject to copyright or where copyright is unclear, we have used the label "copyright reserved". Please respect this.
In some cases we have named an owner who has donated the images for use, please acknowledge the source if you use them. In all cases we ask that you respect the intellectual property of the photographer if known.
Subject Headings are based on, but not restricted to, the Australian Pictorial Thesaurus ( now defunct) - www.picturethesaurus.gov.au/
A larger image collection is available at the main library web site shown on this page.
You can find us at : www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/yourcommunity/library
The Local Studies Blog has images and longer historical articles : bmlocalstudies.blogspot.com/
Library podcasts can be found here - listenersinthemist.podbean.com/
If you have any older Blue Mountains photos, albums or other historical material you would like to donate to the library collection, send me a Flickr mail or contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks for stopping by!
Annual Report 2015
Total views reached 5.4 million on 790 images in 85 albums.
Groups administered were 59 with a further six moderated.
Followers were 341.
Another three images received Explore status.
Mid-year Report June 2015
Around 4,160,000 total views on 770 images.
The top 20 images have 25,000 - 35,000 each and daily views are running at 5,000 - 10, 000.
We administer 58 groups and moderate another five.
Five images are in Explore.
We have 295 followers and continue to benefit from the knowledge and hard work of our commentators who add valuable details and identifying information to our images - thank you every one.
Annual Report 2014
We finished the year with 2,850,000 total views on 740 images.
Our keen band of followers provided much useful information and added considerable value to the collection. They researched locations, provided commentary and simply shared their enjoyment of our historic images.
Mid Year Report 2014
All-time views reached 1,873,445 on 707 images, averaging 2,650 each.
Most popular image was Victoria Pass with 34,125 views and we had 223 keen followers.
Daily views are averaging around 5K and every image is viewed every day.
Thank you to our many viewers who continue to provide valuable comments that enrich and extend the usefulness of our images.
We currently administer 54 groups and moderate another six.
Annual Report 2013
We finished the year with 1,028,474 total views on 685 images.
Daily views averaged 3,000 - 4,000 and each image was viewed between 3 and 60 times daily.
Most popular was the Holden Monaro and the Buckle Mini Monaco on Craven A corner at Catalina Park Circuit with 7,238 views; followed by the Geological Sketch Map of Katoomba and Brief History of Coal Mining with 7,043. In the top 20 were the Granville Train Disaster images and the 1957 Bushfires.
Much useful information has emerged from comments and we have 206 enthusiastic followers.
Photos of Blue Mountains Local Studies (1)
- Rhipiduridae - Fantails 81 photos, 17 members
- Wildlife Photography with the Australian Museum 6,928 photos, 265 members
- Vintage Australia 34 photos, 18 members
- Beasts of Burden 149 photos, 35 members
- Blue Mountains Ice and Snow 76 photos, 13 members
- Petroicidae 46 photos, 14 members
- Flowerpeckers - Dicaeidae 70 photos, 14 members
- in explore 535,805 photos, 49,488 members
- Milkman 89 photos, 8 members
- Trove: Australia in Pictures 274,485 photos, 3,508 members
- Henry Moore Sculptures 738 photos, 85 members
- Water and Stone 301 photos, 58 members
- Blue Mountains Invertebrates 80 photos, 9 members
- Wiggley Tin 1,000 photos, 59 members
- Animal Architecture 231 photos, 39 members
- Shorebirds - Waders of Australasia 388 photos, 55 members
- Blue Mountains Bushfires 180 photos, 30 members
- Megapodes 99 photos, 14 members
- Mudgee & Gulgong 89 photos, 15 members
- Vintage Australian Landscapes 73 photos, 16 members
- Vintage Landscapes 210 photos, 96 members
- Antique Photographs of Nature 151 photos, 25 members
- Whipbirds and Allies 114 photos, 9 members
- 3:1 Panos Australia 280 photos, 38 members
- Blue Mountains Walking Tracks & Lookouts 78 photos, 15 members
- Blue Mountains Waterfalls 819 photos, 73 members
- Threads - Vintage Clothing in Australia 66 photos, 15 members
- Rylstone and District, NSW 124 photos, 25 members
- Bower Birds and Birds of Paradise 98 photos, 44 members
- Blue Mountains Eucalypts 26 photos, 14 members
- Lyre Birds 69 photos, 11 members
- Crows, Ravens, Jays, Magpies & Butcherbirds 686 photos, 121 members
- Pigeons & Doves of the World 455 photos, 99 members
- Swallows, Martins & Swifts 719 photos, 137 members
- Emus, Ostriches, Cassowaries, Rhea & Kiwi 177 photos, 48 members
- Australian Cuckoos, Channel Bills & Koels 96 photos, 28 members
- Pardalotidae & Nectariniidae 213 photos, 43 members
- Bulbuls & Tits 595 photos, 60 members
- Kingfishers, Kookaburras, Pittas, Rollers, Bee-eaters 1,442 photos, 132 members
- Orioles, Fig-birds, Mynas, Catbirds & Starlings 259 photos, 57 members
- Parrots & Cockatoos of Australasia 770 photos, 98 members
- Australasian Woodchopping 167 photos, 18 members
- Trunkey and the Abercrombie 96 photos, 14 members
- Eat History 128 photos, 19 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 3,350 photos, 367 members
- Blue Mountains Mammals 41 photos, 16 members
- Bathurst, NSW 255 photos, 32 members
- Blue Mountains Native Plants 309 photos, 43 members
- Blue Mountains Reptiles & Amphibians 144 photos, 27 members
- Square Australia 363 photos, 25 members
"A great place to visit with some fine historical photos here, and I look forward to seeing new arrivals with much interest. Keep 'em coming!"
June 22nd, 2008
- May 2008
- Springwood, New South Wales
- City of Blue Mountains, Australia
- Librarian, historian
- Blue Mountains City Library