The bitterroot is a wildflower in my home state of Montana.
My photos here reflect places that I find magical. Heart-places in Montana and Wisconsin show up randomly here, as well as other spots that have charmed me. These and other pristine places nourish the spirit.
I've shared more detail about some of these places in my blog at bitterrootandbergamot.blogspot.com/
I'm a wife and mom and medical educator with a loving family. Because I was raised in western Montana, I care very much about places that are as yet unspoiled. One way I try to preserve them is through my photos. More on this perspective here and here.
My "most interesting" photos, according to Flickr:
- NewWest.Net/Snowblog Snowtography Contest 207 photos, 43 members
- Show Us Your Style [let others edit your pictures] 661 photos, 741 members
- Off the beaten path Montana 299 photos, 40 members
- Green Plants in Containers 539 photos, 345 members
- Flathead Beacon 619 photos, 78 members
- ~Elegance~ 191,333 photos, 8,193 members
- Strobist.com 605,433 photos, 123,655 members
- Photographer's Tech Resources 2,093 photos, 4,112 members
- flickr GOLD***invited images only pls*** 61,467 photos, 12,755 members
- Bending Light 12,230 photos, 3,421 members
- Digital Challenge- NEED YOUR OPINION! SHOULD I CLOSE THIS GROUP? 229 photos, 180 members
- Madison Flickrmeets 2,356 photos, 426 members
- The Professionals 0 photos, 356 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 503,977 photos, 21,310 members
- Natures Finest (Invited Images Only) 334,397 photos, 39,770 members
- Super Shots - Post 1 - Award 2 299,445 photos, 40,297 members
- !Afterclass! 14,726 photos, 2,490 members
- Before and After Photoshop 14,346 photos, 4,451 members
- PhotoShop 147,026 photos, 19,052 members
- Sharing Exposures (Now merged with Photopolis - The Photographer 1,254 photos, 293 members
- Bookmark Crop 1,483 photos, 147 members
- Wisconsin Nature Photography 33,910 photos, 1,024 members
- iPhoto Group 15,960 photos, 789 members
- Photoshop Support Group 327,462 photos, 35,880 members
- Canon 300D&350D 84,672 photos, 2,427 members
- canon photography 6,552,739 photos, 111,746 members
- 1-2-3 Canon (post 1,comment on ANY 2, view 3) 20,087 photos, 1,220 members
- Montana History 2,683 photos, 83 members
- The Last Best Place 5,811 photos, 172 members
- KISS MY GRITS 1,131 photos, 51 members
- Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 203,948 photos, 7,862 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 4,947,349 photos, 190,602 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 483,677 photos, 63,548 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Street Photography *OPEN* 4,578,936 photos, 122,427 members
- A Day On Earth, September 29th 187 photos, 814 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 260,954 photos, 57,599 members
- 1 picture 1 comment 3,179 photos, 168 members
- Isthmus 36,364 photos, 866 members
- Dane101 Photostream 2,212 photos, 132 members
- The Wild Garden 3,534 photos, 183 members
- Flickr Arts Project [no direct posting to pool pls.] 0 photos, 490 members
- Spectacular Nature-invited images only (15/ month) 20,183 photos, 7,167 members
- The Best: BRAVO (INVITED images only) 60,202 photos, 7,413 members
- Leviathor's Labyrinth: Lobotomy Laboratory 3,026 photos, 487 members
- Barns 62,636 photos, 5,594 members
- !masterclass! - (archived) 0 photos, 1,315 members
- Montana Photography 44,538 photos, 2,054 members
- Unsolved Mysteries of Man and Nature 64 photos, 16 members
- 3-2-1 167,062 photos, 5,810 members
- Log Cabins 4,244 photos, 824 members
"Bitterroot was my first ever real-life-meetup Flickr friend. We spent a whole day together in Montana last fall -- both of us traveled to get to our meeting place -- and we hit it off from our first sight of each other. I am honored to be her friend and to be able to learn from her.
Bitterroot has set about to record with her camera – and her heart – the pristine places she loves in both her homes, Wisconsin and Montana. Beginning a couple of years ago, I have watched with wonder, fascination and awe, her evolution from a relatively timid (her word) blogger who posted lovely photos of beautiful places … to a strong, gently-outspoken photographer who now posts incredible, stunning photos exploring deeper and deeper into those same beautiful earthly places.
I particularly enjoy the connections Bitterroot sees between the lush woodlands and wetlands of Wisconsin and the seasonal extremes, glorious light and vast open spaces of her birthland, Montana. With luminous photos, Bitterroot demonstrates connections between these two contrasting places. The love she holds for the land -- no matter where she happens to be -- is one of those connections. The way she thinks of them both in the same breath is another. Her own heart is a third connection. I believe Bitterroot knows her favorite places on Earth by heart – literally – because I can see it in her imagery and hear it in her poetic descriptions.
Bitterroot inspires me not only with her photography, but also with her dedication to her family and friends. One time she posted a lovely, voluptuous photo of Sleeping Woman Peak, with a note about keeping that mountain as a reference point in her life. I can tell that no matter where she is – Bitterroot is truly present in that place. Every stream, waterfall and rivulet, every misty lake and fog-shrouded aspen grove, every wooded vale and moss-covered log, every beam of sunlight and autumn leaf – and most surely, every person she is close to – is a reference point in her life. Her touchstones are many – I can imagine Bitterroot carrying a tiny piece of every place and every person she loves, in her pocket, to remind her of who she really is.
If you have ever wondered about the meaning of the phrase “a sense of place,” browse her blog, Bitterroot and Bergamot and you will “get it.” Soul. Beauty. Connection. Love. Intelligence. Heart.
This woman is amazing – I can prove it – just go look at her page of sets! I don’t think there is an aspect of nature she has not thought of exploring. Deeply. Go dive/swim/float in her flickrstream and if you’re lucky, some of her connection with nature will stick to you when you resurface …"
December 14th, 2006
- March 2005
- Bitterroot and Bergamot