The bitterroot is a wildflower in my home state of Montana.
My photos here reflect places that I find magical. Heart-places in Montana and Wisconsin show up randomly here, as well as other spots that have charmed me. These and other pristine places nourish the spirit.
I've shared more detail about some of these places in my blog at bitterrootandbergamot.blogspot.com/
I'm a wife and mom and medical educator with a loving family. Because I was raised in western Montana, I care very much about places that are as yet unspoiled. One way I try to preserve them is through my photos. More on this perspective here and here.
My "most interesting" photos, according to Flickr:
- NewWest.Net/Snowblog Snowtography Contest 210 photos, 44 members
- Show Us Your Style [let others edit your pictures] 656 photos, 747 members
- Off the beaten path Montana 300 photos, 40 members
- Green Plants in Containers 540 photos, 336 members
- Flathead Beacon 628 photos, 77 members
- ~Elegance~ 179,201 photos, 8,196 members
- Strobist.com 609,519 photos, 123,861 members
- Photographer's Tech Resources 2,129 photos, 4,192 members
- flickr GOLD***invited images only pls*** 62,345 photos, 12,939 members
- Bending Light 12,454 photos, 3,478 members
- Digital Challenge- NEED YOUR OPINION! SHOULD I CLOSE THIS GROUP? 239 photos, 180 members
- Madison Flickrmeets 2,427 photos, 432 members
- The Professionals 0 photos, 361 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 476,152 photos, 21,424 members
- Natures Finest (Invited Images Only) 324,351 photos, 39,953 members
- Super Shots - Post 1 - Award 2 282,116 photos, 40,612 members
- !Afterclass! 14,115 photos, 2,537 members
- Before and After Photoshop 13,872 photos, 4,507 members
- PhotoShop 129,561 photos, 18,977 members
- Sharing Exposures (Now merged with Photopolis - The Photographer 1,437 photos, 302 members
- Bookmark Crop 1,466 photos, 145 members
- Wisconsin Nature Photography 30,485 photos, 1,005 members
- iPhoto Group 15,755 photos, 811 members
- Photoshop Support Group 318,443 photos, 35,528 members
- Canon Current & past models (ie new 5D MKIII and old 300D) 626,041 photos, 13,624 members
- Canon 300D&350D 83,751 photos, 2,456 members
- canon photography 5,816,452 photos, 104,546 members
- 1-2-3 Canon (post 1,comment on ANY 2, view 3) 19,450 photos, 1,228 members
- Montana History 2,549 photos, 80 members
- The Last Best Place 5,324 photos, 160 members
- KISS MY GRITS 1,198 photos, 51 members
- Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 205,328 photos, 7,966 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 4,538,523 photos, 184,844 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 486,953 photos, 63,693 members
- The World Through My Eyes - TGIF *OPEN* 4,388,449 photos, 118,342 members
- A Day On Earth, September 29th 189 photos, 829 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 262,645 photos, 58,825 members
- 1 picture 1 comment 3,162 photos, 171 members
- Isthmus 37,599 photos, 876 members
- Dane101 Photostream 2,242 photos, 136 members
- The Wild Garden 2,699 photos, 182 members
- Flickr Arts Project [no direct posting to pool pls.] 0 photos, 493 members
- Spectacular Nature-invited images only (15/ month) 20,503 photos, 7,237 members
- The Best: BRAVO (INVITED images only) 60,237 photos, 7,508 members
- Leviathor's Labyrinth: Lobotomy Laboratory 2,992 photos, 493 members
- Barns 57,834 photos, 5,397 members
- !masterclass! - (archived) 0 photos, 1,328 members
- Montana Photography 40,828 photos, 1,921 members
- Unsolved Mysteries of Man and Nature 61 photos, 16 members
- 3-2-1 166,791 photos, 5,896 members
"Bitterroot was my first ever real-life-meetup Flickr friend. We spent a whole day together in Montana last fall -- both of us traveled to get to our meeting place -- and we hit it off from our first sight of each other. I am honored to be her friend and to be able to learn from her.
Bitterroot has set about to record with her camera – and her heart – the pristine places she loves in both her homes, Wisconsin and Montana. Beginning a couple of years ago, I have watched with wonder, fascination and awe, her evolution from a relatively timid (her word) blogger who posted lovely photos of beautiful places … to a strong, gently-outspoken photographer who now posts incredible, stunning photos exploring deeper and deeper into those same beautiful earthly places.
I particularly enjoy the connections Bitterroot sees between the lush woodlands and wetlands of Wisconsin and the seasonal extremes, glorious light and vast open spaces of her birthland, Montana. With luminous photos, Bitterroot demonstrates connections between these two contrasting places. The love she holds for the land -- no matter where she happens to be -- is one of those connections. The way she thinks of them both in the same breath is another. Her own heart is a third connection. I believe Bitterroot knows her favorite places on Earth by heart – literally – because I can see it in her imagery and hear it in her poetic descriptions.
Bitterroot inspires me not only with her photography, but also with her dedication to her family and friends. One time she posted a lovely, voluptuous photo of Sleeping Woman Peak, with a note about keeping that mountain as a reference point in her life. I can tell that no matter where she is – Bitterroot is truly present in that place. Every stream, waterfall and rivulet, every misty lake and fog-shrouded aspen grove, every wooded vale and moss-covered log, every beam of sunlight and autumn leaf – and most surely, every person she is close to – is a reference point in her life. Her touchstones are many – I can imagine Bitterroot carrying a tiny piece of every place and every person she loves, in her pocket, to remind her of who she really is.
If you have ever wondered about the meaning of the phrase “a sense of place,” browse her blog, Bitterroot and Bergamot and you will “get it.” Soul. Beauty. Connection. Love. Intelligence. Heart.
This woman is amazing – I can prove it – just go look at her page of sets! I don’t think there is an aspect of nature she has not thought of exploring. Deeply. Go dive/swim/float in her flickrstream and if you’re lucky, some of her connection with nature will stick to you when you resurface …"
December 14th, 2006
- March 2005
- Bitterroot and Bergamot