Photography facinates me. It has for over fifty years. Ever since my Cub Scout pack toured the darkroom of Doug Lester, the town's photographer. The magic I experienced in that darkroom started me down a road that has given me a tremendous amount of pleasure and fulfillment through the years.
When I was seven, my camera of choice was the family Kodak Brownie. Later I moved up to my very own brand new Kodak Instamatic. Unfortunately the prints were smaller because I could only make contact prints using my Ansco contact print box and Kodak Tri-Chem-Pak chemicals.
In the late 60's I bought my first Nikon and a couple years after that my first Hasselblad. Somewhere in that time period, I also bought a surplus Virginia State Police 4x5 Crown Graphic. I don't think the trooper ever took it out of his trunk. When the guy behind the counter at Roanoke Photo hauled it out to show it to me I just "had" to have it. After all, real photographers, like Doug Lester, used big honking 4x5 press cameras. I had arrived!!!
For the next thirty or so years, I was involved in a lot of different aspects of photography. I shot everything... people, products, sports, architecture, travel, audio-visual... I even shot a wedding. After encountering the mother of the bride, I discovered what I didn't want to shoot.
Photography today is a world away from those years. I developed color film, 30 rolls at a time, in a big old stainless steel sink. The room was hot and dark and the job was boring. One assistant decided the task was a great opportunity to enjoy a joint... until I followed the happy scent and spoiled his fun. Today my darkroom is digital. It's been years since I've developed a roll of film. All of the darkroom is packed away in the studio's basement.
I embraced digital photography much earlier than most photographers. My "conversion" took place in 1985 when I purchased a digital imaging system from Management Graphics which output to a digital film recorder. About five years later, I saw a demo of a new software package that had just been introduced for the Mac, Adobe Photoshop v1.0. I immediately went out and bought three new Macs because the capabilities were much better than my "old clunker".
Today, the quality of the digital image blows me away. With a few clicks I can create images which would have taken a lot of skill, materials and time in the "darkroom days".
- Product Photography Lighting Techniques 3,028 photos, 1,821 members
- Advertising Photography Blog 4,372 photos, 771 members
- Food Texture 17,602 photos, 549 members
- Table top studio photography 9,209 photos, 525 members
- Project Simple Photography 1,310 photos, 218 members
- Nikon D800/E, D810 & D850 Users Group 645,415 photos, 16,559 members
- Homemade Lens 9,723 photos, 2,543 members
- The Blue Ridge Parkway 12,529 photos, 1,020 members
- Southwest Virginia 10,192 photos, 496 members
- Blue Ridge Mountain Country 3,310 photos, 159 members
- DIYPhotography 62,274 photos, 12,612 members
- Triggertrap 6,630 photos, 2,593 members
- High Speed Photography 38,198 photos, 8,616 members
- Helicon Focus Group 7,630 photos, 858 members
- Nodal Ninja 7,166 photos, 489 members
- Product photography lighting 5,305 photos, 1,233 members
- Product Shots 8,033 photos, 727 members
- Products and still life creative photography 3,890 photos, 988 members
- Top 20 Product Photos (POST one then DELETE one) 20 photos, 672 members
- Product Photography 84,332 photos, 10,293 members
- Roanoke Flickrazzi 1,377 photos, 60 members
- B&W Pinhole Photography 24,673 photos, 1,955 members
- TiltShift Generator 8,854 photos, 1,484 members
- Digital Pinhole Photography 7,564 photos, 1,766 members
- Oloneo PhotoEngine Talk 10,423 photos, 864 members
- Black and White 6,838,567 photos, 358,042 members
- AllEdges Still Life 104,275 photos, 6,587 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 372,619 photos, 24,113 members
- Orton 25,747 photos, 4,389 members
- HDR 1,058,795 photos, 92,899 members
- Lensbabies 47,167 photos, 5,480 members
- Photo Business Forum 2,745 photos, 1,919 members
- Innovative photography equipment 1,339 photos, 1,974 members
- NIKON speedlight SB600 - SB700- SB800 and SB 900 66,537 photos, 8,329 members
- Strobist.com 608,190 photos, 124,173 members
Bill Poff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bill Poff
- May 2006
- Christiansburg, VA
- Salem, VA, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Product and Catalog Photographer