Photography facinates me. It has for over fifty years. Ever since my Cub Scout pack toured the darkroom of Doug Lester, the town's photographer. The magic I experienced in that darkroom started me down a road that has given me a tremendous amount of pleasure and fulfillment through the years.
When I was seven, my camera of choice was the family Kodak Brownie. Later I moved up to my very own brand new Kodak Instamatic. Unfortunately the prints were smaller because I could only make contact prints using my Ansco contact print box and Kodak Tri-Chem-Pak chemicals.
In the late 60's I bought my first Nikon and a couple years after that my first Hasselblad. Somewhere in that time period, I also bought a surplus Virginia State Police 4x5 Crown Graphic. I don't think the trooper ever took it out of his trunk. When the guy behind the counter at Roanoke Photo hauled it out to show it to me I just "had" to have it. After all, real photographers, like Doug Lester, used big honking 4x5 press cameras. I had arrived!!!
For the next thirty or so years, I was involved in a lot of different aspects of photography. I shot everything... people, products, sports, architecture, travel, audio-visual... I even shot a wedding. After encountering the mother of the bride, I discovered what I didn't want to shoot.
Photography today is a world away from those years. I developed color film, 30 rolls at a time, in a big old stainless steel sink. The room was hot and dark and the job was boring. One assistant decided the task was a great opportunity to enjoy a joint... until I followed the happy scent and spoiled his fun. Today my darkroom is digital. It's been years since I've developed a roll of film. All of the darkroom is packed away in the studio's basement.
I embraced digital photography much earlier than most photographers. My "conversion" took place in 1985 when I purchased a digital imaging system from Management Graphics which output to a digital film recorder. About five years later, I saw a demo of a new software package that had just been introduced for the Mac, Adobe Photoshop v1.0. I immediately went out and bought three new Macs because the capabilities were much better than my "old clunker".
Today, the quality of the digital image blows me away. With a few clicks I can create images which would have taken a lot of skill, materials and time in the "darkroom days".
- Product Photography Lighting Techniques 3,022 photos, 1,836 members
- Advertising Photography Blog 4,388 photos, 780 members
- Food Texture 17,963 photos, 549 members
- Table top studio photography 9,297 photos, 529 members
- Project Simple Photography 1,294 photos, 224 members
- Nikon D800/E, D810 & D850 Users Group 668,580 photos, 16,743 members
- Homemade Lens 10,153 photos, 2,559 members
- The Blue Ridge Parkway 12,734 photos, 1,031 members
- Southwest Virginia 10,371 photos, 500 members
- Blue Ridge Mountain Country 3,475 photos, 167 members
- DIYPhotography 62,392 photos, 12,548 members
- Triggertrap 6,566 photos, 2,567 members
- High Speed Photography 38,204 photos, 8,590 members
- Helicon Focus Group 8,225 photos, 919 members
- Nodal Ninja 7,177 photos, 492 members
- Product photography lighting 5,420 photos, 1,258 members
- Product Shots 8,577 photos, 739 members
- Products and still life creative photography 3,886 photos, 1,003 members
- Top 20 Product Photos (POST one then DELETE one) 19 photos, 676 members
- Product Photography 84,810 photos, 10,301 members
- Roanoke Flickrazzi 1,401 photos, 60 members
- B&W Pinhole Photography 25,239 photos, 1,975 members
- TiltShift Generator 8,847 photos, 1,473 members
- Digital Pinhole Photography 7,651 photos, 1,769 members
- Oloneo PhotoEngine Talk 10,425 photos, 856 members
- Black and White 6,837,162 photos, 357,819 members
- AllEdges Still Life 105,033 photos, 6,590 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 374,286 photos, 23,925 members
- Orton 25,741 photos, 4,362 members
- HDR 1,050,488 photos, 92,424 members
- Lensbabies 47,420 photos, 5,444 members
- Photo Business Forum 2,752 photos, 1,907 members
- Innovative photography equipment 1,341 photos, 1,962 members
- NIKON speedlight SB600 - SB700- SB800 and SB 900 66,148 photos, 8,275 members
- Strobist.com 606,540 photos, 123,706 members
Bill Poff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bill Poff
- May 2006
- Christiansburg, VA
- Salem, VA, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Product and Catalog Photographer