Photography facinates me. It has for over fifty years. Ever since my Cub Scout pack toured the darkroom of Doug Lester, the town's photographer. The magic I experienced in that darkroom started me down a road that has given me a tremendous amount of pleasure and fulfillment through the years.
When I was seven, my camera of choice was the family Kodak Brownie. Later I moved up to my very own brand new Kodak Instamatic. Unfortunately the prints were smaller because I could only make contact prints using my Ansco contact print box and Kodak Tri-Chem-Pak chemicals.
In the late 60's I bought my first Nikon and a couple years after that my first Hasselblad. Somewhere in that time period, I also bought a surplus Virginia State Police 4x5 Crown Graphic. I don't think the trooper ever took it out of his trunk. When the guy behind the counter at Roanoke Photo hauled it out to show it to me I just "had" to have it. After all, real photographers, like Doug Lester, used big honking 4x5 press cameras. I had arrived!!!
For the next thirty or so years, I was involved in a lot of different aspects of photography. I shot everything... people, products, sports, architecture, travel, audio-visual... I even shot a wedding. After encountering the mother of the bride, I discovered what I didn't want to shoot.
Photography today is a world away from those years. I developed color film, 30 rolls at a time, in a big old stainless steel sink. The room was hot and dark and the job was boring. One assistant decided the task was a great opportunity to enjoy a joint... until I followed the happy scent and spoiled his fun. Today my darkroom is digital. It's been years since I've developed a roll of film. All of the darkroom is packed away in the studio's basement.
I embraced digital photography much earlier than most photographers. My "conversion" took place in 1985 when I purchased a digital imaging system from Management Graphics which output to a digital film recorder. About five years later, I saw a demo of a new software package that had just been introduced for the Mac, Adobe Photoshop v1.0. I immediately went out and bought three new Macs because the capabilities were much better than my "old clunker".
Today, the quality of the digital image blows me away. With a few clicks I can create images which would have taken a lot of skill, materials and time in the "darkroom days".
- Product and Still life 1,647 photos, 97 members
- Advertising Photography Blog 3,749 photos, 745 members
- Food Texture 17,119 photos, 524 members
- Table top studio photography 8,728 photos, 510 members
- Project Simple Photography 1,283 photos, 208 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 580,952 photos, 15,955 members
- Homemade Lens 9,303 photos, 2,453 members
- The Blue Ridge Parkway 11,796 photos, 982 members
- Southwest Virginia 9,881 photos, 490 members
- Blue Ridge Mountain Country 2,886 photos, 145 members
- DIYPhotography 58,517 photos, 12,621 members
- Triggertrap 6,367 photos, 2,625 members
- High Speed Photography 37,694 photos, 8,550 members
- Helicon Focus Group 5,980 photos, 737 members
- Nodal Ninja 6,603 photos, 477 members
- NRV Exposure 487 photos, 39 members
- Product photography lighting 4,831 photos, 1,134 members
- Product Shots 5,714 photos, 691 members
- Products and still life creative photography 3,901 photos, 958 members
- Top 20 Product Photos (POST one then DELETE one) 20 photos, 653 members
- Product Photography 78,482 photos, 10,104 members
- Roanoke Flickrazzi 1,304 photos, 61 members
- Annapolis 5,904 photos, 604 members
- B&W Pinhole Photography 23,794 photos, 1,902 members
- TiltShift Generator 8,937 photos, 1,494 members
- Digital Pinhole Photography 7,460 photos, 1,758 members
- Exposure.Roanoke 12,327 photos, 252 members
- Oloneo PhotoEngine Talk 10,334 photos, 869 members
- Black and White 6,873,070 photos, 354,729 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 2,063 photos, 1,023 members
- AllEdges Still Life 101,356 photos, 6,542 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 363,893 photos, 24,209 members
- Poor-Man's Macro (PLEASE, read the description carefully!) 52,886 photos, 7,135 members
- Orton 25,672 photos, 4,413 members
- HDR 1,039,909 photos, 93,135 members
- Lensbabies 46,075 photos, 5,467 members
- Photo Business Forum 2,398 photos, 1,924 members
- Innovative photography equipment 1,295 photos, 1,981 members
- NIKON speedlight SB600 - SB700- SB800 and SB 900 66,493 photos, 8,377 members
- Strobist.com 609,243 photos, 124,016 members
Bill Poff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Bill Poff
- May 2006
- Christiansburg, VA
- Salem, VA, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Product and Catalog Photographer