History, nature, the great outdoors, birds and birding, wildflowers, geography, family history, architectural history, The Great War.
These collections reflect a motley assortment of natural and human distractions. I am a nature nut and like to photograph natural landscapes, wildflowers and – whenever they pause long enough to allow it – birds. There is little in this world I like better than a day rambling in the wild with one or more close friends. Such days proceed slowly because I stop often to look at the macro and the micro and take pictures of what I like.
History interests me too, both local – such as the architectural history of my own home town, Victoria BC – and ‘bigger’ history. A very influential person in my youth was a great-uncle who survived the Great War of 1914-18. Several of his relatives – cousins and a beloved brother – did not. His accounts of his experiences in Flanders and France were mesmerising and unforgettable: one collection reflects my uncle’s war history and that of his Cape Breton, Nova Scotia relatives. I have traveled the Western Front three times and crossed and re-crossed Canada to see and photograph war memorials, particularly those featuring soldier statues.
In 2016 Heritage House published my book about Canadian war memorial figures, Remembered in Bronze and Stone.
Other collections here reflect my enthusiasm for travel, especially travel on foot or by bicyle.
I usually take a camera, sometimes two, wherever I go. The DSLR I use is a Canon 7D but I also rely on two point-and-shoot cameras, a Canon SX40HS and Nikon Coolpix P340.
For travel blog go to: leotaj.blogspot.com/
- REMEMBER THEM 12,827 photos, 905 members
- Weather Vane 4,731 photos, 670 members
- Statues and carved figures on UK War Memorials 751 photos, 54 members
- Trench Art 615 photos, 26 members
- British War Memorials 5,607 photos, 419 members
- Scottish War Memorials 163 photos, 14 members
- Victoria Natural History Society 1,892 photos, 87 members
- Woodmen Of The World (& Tree Grave Markers) 2,429 photos, 214 members
- World War II Internment Camps 491 photos, 116 members
- Wildflowers of British Columbia 1,995 photos, 117 members
- White Bronze 1,996 photos, 64 members
- South African War (Boer War) Memorials 194 photos, 40 members
- John Tweed (1863 -1933) 68 photos, 17 members
- War Memorials 44,898 photos, 2,366 members
- Canadiana outside Canada 320 photos, 44 members
- Historic Victoria BC 2,417 photos, 221 members
- British War Cemeteries 5,344 photos, 389 members
- Cenotaphs of Ontario 742 photos, 23 members
- Veterans in The Hockey Hall of Fame 85 photos, 6 members
- CBC Community 7,639 photos, 302 members
- The Great War 1914 - 1918 45,536 photos, 2,141 members
Bigadore doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Alan Livingstone MacLeod
- May 2007