I'd rather be out shooting than in front of my computer, but I will never let an image out into the world unless I've brought out the best in it through post-processing.
- Steve Simon
I got really going on Flickr in March 2007. Since then it has done nothing, but sucked up my time and inspired me to go out and take more photos. Thanks for over 2 million total views by 2014.
Note that most of my photos have all rights reserved. I have allowed my contacts to use my photos for blogging (you must link back to my image on Flickr); everyone else, please ask. I frequently grant limited rights to use my photos with the appropriate attribution and links back to my flickr page and many of them are available for sale.
Please look here if you are interested in any of my photos for your "My Dream Stable".
If you have no photos of your own in your photostream and I do not know you then you may be blocked. If you fav, comment, or make me a contact and your photostream is not suitable to show to my kids, you will be blocked (well over 300 are already blocked, so perhaps no one reads this). Please do not spam my photo stream. That includes inserting a bunch of photos or big badges in comments. Thumbnail size badges or a single thumbnail size photo would probably survive.
Thanks for all your group invitations or invitations to post. Please do not be offended if I do not always respond. I do my best to read all your comments, but sometimes there is not enough time to respond. If you comment or fav any of my photos, do not be surprised if I pop over to your stream and add you as a contact.
Follow me on
Read my blog at
Some of my photographs are available for sale. Click one of the links below:
I've been taking photos since I was about 6, mostly for fun. I started my photographic life with a "Charlie the Tuna" Instamatic camera. I later graduated to a Petri Racer 35mm rangefinder that I got from my grandfather; I used this in the late 70s. Through high school I owned a Chinon CE-4 and later a CE-4s. After high school I kept my Pentax mount lenses, but switched to Pentax MX bodies. Except for this annoying problem where the shutter would give up at inopportune moments they were great, simple, light weight cameras. After giving up on the MX, I switched to Nikon gear and haven't looked back since.
I am now on my fifth Nikon (FM, FA, F100, D200, D700) and all digital. What a different world. No time in the darkroom or waiting for the lab to finish up. Unfortunately it remains as hard as ever to get a good photograph. You just get to see the bad ones faster. How different things might have been if I was growing up today!
Most of my photography these days tends to be centered on my kids or dogs, with only the occasional chance for something different. Pretty well everything on this site is scanned direct from film on a Nikon Coolscan III or 5000 or from my D200 or D700.
Where I have included it, the numbering system is based on the date of the photograph, date of processing, or, for older images, an approximate date. The number after that date is the roll number (in case there was more than one) and the final number is taken from the neg or slide frame number (similar thing for digital except there are no actual rolls of film).
Please contact me if you are interested in using or purchasing any of my images. Most photos have all rights reserved.
My Photographic Style
You would not have to browse my images for too long to see that I am not exactly a fine artist (though I wish I could pull some of that off some time). I shoot what I see when I see it. Occasionally it looks nice enough to post for others to see.
Feel free to give comments that will help me improve my technique or style. I always appreciate the "good job" and "nice", but I also welcome ways I could do things better (or differently).
Nikkor 85 f/1.4G
Nikkor TC-20E III
Nikkor TC-14E II
Nikkor 70-200 AFS VR f/2.8
Nikkor 14-24 AFS f/2.8
Nikkor 24 AF-D f/2.8
Nikkor 50 AF f/1.4
Nikkor 35 f/2.0
Nikkor Micro 55 f/3.5
Nikon SB800, SB80, SB28
Gitzo G1258 tripod
Gitzo G1276M head
My Old Gear
Nikkor Micro 105 f/4
Noct-Nikkor 58 f/1.2
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D f2.8
Nikkor 17-55 AF-G DX f2.8
Pentax MX SN 9183532
Pentax MX SN 4017173
Chinon CE4s SN 339576
Chinon CE4 SN 259616
Chinon 1:1.9 50mm SN 689987
Kiron 28-85 1:2.8–3.8 SN 1540540
SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm SN 3662250
SMC Pentax-M 1:4 200mm SN 6106905
Countries I have visited (sorry, not all are equally represented in my current photostream).
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 23,823 photos, 5,011 members
- Stuff on Water "opted out of 30/60" 31,016 photos, 922 members
- Maui by Photo 5,860 photos, 554 members
- Hawaii Golf 312 photos, 39 members
- Kapalua Maui Hawaii 722 photos, 75 members
- Rocky Mountain Bikes 496 photos, 120 members
- Only Mountain Bike / Solo Mountain Bike 15,916 photos, 2,046 members
- It's been Explore'd 6,624 photos, 516 members
- Explore this! (ONLY EXPLORED PICS) 29,203 photos, 4,357 members
- Guanajuato, Mexico 7,782 photos, 835 members
- San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato 1,067 photos, 80 members
- Van Dusen Gardens 2,582 photos, 117 members
- Burnaby 7,608 photos, 364 members
- Dogs Named Sherman 106 photos, 27 members
- Vancouver Extreme Photography (VEP) 34 photos, 5 members
- Photos from the 1980's 6,294 photos, 442 members
- Wetlands of British Columbia 1,153 photos, 104 members
- Beijing 北京 Photo Community 59,782 photos, 4,111 members
- Le TaBeRnAcLe PhOtO; DiE pHoTo TaVeRnE; ThE pHoTo TaVeRn 11,223 photos, 223 members
- View from the top of the new Port Mann Bridge 22 photos, 2 members
- Venice 141,487 photos, 11,959 members
- Photographs of Italy 532,720 photos, 16,513 members
- ITALIA - ITALY - ITALIE - ITALIEN 194,971 photos, 4,550 members
- Veneto 38,682 photos, 1,326 members
- Canada- Urban Feel Photography 2,133 photos, 83 members
- BC Transportation and Infrastructure in Focus 21 photos, 7 members
- Captive Dolphin & Whales 955 photos, 72 members
- The Brenizer Method 7,885 photos, 5,862 members
- Flickr Model 103,448 photos, 5,225 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 77,844 photos, 1,259 members
- Bellagio Las Vegas 2,587 photos, 383 members
- Long-Haired Dachshund 2,448 photos, 170 members
- Doxie See Doxie Do 5,286 photos, 286 members
- Fun Loving Daschunds 1,181 photos, 224 members
- Mini Dachshunds! 9,959 photos, 718 members
- Las Vegas Street Photography 245 photos, 304 members
- Good photo,good details (Film preferred) 140,097 photos, 2,092 members
- 30 000 VIEWS 3,302 photos, 630 members
- Views 30 000 1,671 photos, 399 members
- Flickr's pets (NO PEOPLE) 36,590 photos, 2,796 members
- Hoover Dam 3,051 photos, 579 members
- Project Weather 631,477 photos, 93,927 members
- ...BLACK AND WHITE... 41,153 photos, 835 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 71,930 photos, 524 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 17,444 photos, 2,169 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 11,908 photos, 13,265 members
- Alouette Lake 16 photos, 5 members
- The Golden Ears 280 photos, 58 members
- Faves EXTREME 150..... 678 photos, 126 members
- Faves EXTREME 125..... 119 photos, 100 members
"He has some of the most amazing photos i've seen on Flickr....
Very Good Job Indeed...!"
November 29th, 2010
"Russ, your pictures are very inspiring and so sharp! I also like the angle in which you see your subjects they are always a pleasure to look at :)"
July 22nd, 2010
"Russ, you have taken so many beautiful photos that capture a moment perfectly. You have also been really supportive to me as I try to learn what makes a good photo. Thanks loads."
June 4th, 2007
- Russ Beinder
- February 2007
- Victoria, BC
- Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Software Development
- Eclectic Air Photography