I'd rather be out shooting than in front of my computer, but I will never let an image out into the world unless I've brought out the best in it through post-processing.
- Steve Simon
I got really going on Flickr in March 2007. Since then it has done nothing, but sucked up my time and inspired me to go out and take more photos. Thanks for 100000+ stream views and over 850000 total views by November 2011.
Note that most of my photos have all rights reserved. I have allowed my contacts to use my photos for blogging (you must link back to my image on Flickr); everyone else, please ask. I frequently grant limited rights to use my photos with the appropriate attribution and links back to my flickr page and many of them are available for sale.
Please look here if you are interested in any of my photos for your "My Dream Stable".
If you have no photos of your own in your photostream and I do not know you then you may be blocked. If you fav, comment, or make me a contact and your photostream is not suitable to show to my kids, you will be blocked (well over 300 are already blocked, so perhaps no one reads this). Please do not spam my photo stream. That includes inserting a bunch of photos or big badges in comments. Thumbnail size badges or a single thumbnail size photo would probably survive.
Thanks for all your group invitations or invitations to post. Please do not be offended if I do not always respond. I do my best to read all your comments, but sometimes there is not enough time to respond. If you comment or fav any of my photos, do not be surprised if I pop over to your stream and add you as a contact.
Follow me on
Read my blog at
Some of my photographs are available for sale. Click one of the links below:
I've been taking photos since I was about 6, mostly for fun. I started my photographic life with a "Charlie the Tuna" Instamatic camera. I later graduated to a Petri Racer 35mm rangefinder that I got from my grandfather; I used this in the late 70s. Through high school I owned a Chinon CE-4 and later a CE-4s. After high school I kept my Pentax mount lenses, but switched to Pentax MX bodies. Except for this annoying problem where the shutter would give up at inopportune moments they were great, simple, light weight cameras. After giving up on the MX, I switched to Nikon gear and haven't looked back since.
I am now on my fifth Nikon (FM, FA, F100, D200, D700) and all digital. What a different world. No time in the darkroom or waiting for the lab to finish up. Unfortunately it remains as hard as ever to get a good photograph. You just get to see the bad ones faster. How different things might have been if I was growing up today!
Most of my photography these days tends to be centered on my kids or dogs, with only the occasional chance for something different. Pretty well everything on this site is scanned direct from film on a Nikon Coolscan III or 5000 or from my D200 or D700.
Where I have included it, the numbering system is based on the date of the photograph, date of processing, or, for older images, an approximate date. The number after that date is the roll number (in case there was more than one) and the final number is taken from the neg or slide frame number (similar thing for digital except there are no actual rolls of film).
Please contact me if you are interested in using or purchasing any of my images. Many photos have all rights reserved.
My Photographic Style
You would not have to browse my images for too long to see that I am not exactly a fine artist (though I wish I could pull some of that off some time). I shoot what I see when I see it. Occasionally it looks nice enough to post for others to see.
Feel free to give comments that will help me improve my technique or style. I always appreciate the "good job" and "nice", but I also welcome ways I could do things better (or differently).
Nikkor 85 f/1.4G
Nikkor TC-20E III
Nikkor TC-14E II
Nikkor 70-200 AFS VR f/2.8
Nikkor 14-24 AFS f/2.8
Nikkor 24 AF-D f/2.8
Nikkor 50 AF f/1.4
Nikkor Micro 55 f/3.5
Nikon SB800, SB80, SB28
Gitzo G1258 tripod
Gitzo G1276M head
My Old Gear
Nikkor Micro 105 f/4
Noct-Nikkor 58 f/1.2
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D f2.8
Nikkor 17-55 AF-G DX f2.8
Pentax MX SN 9183532
Pentax MX SN 4017173
Chinon CE4s SN 339576
Chinon CE4 SN 259616
Chinon 1:1.9 50mm SN 689987
Kiron 28-85 1:2.8–3.8 SN 1540540
SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm SN 3662250
SMC Pentax-M 1:4 200mm SN 6106905
Countries I have visited (sorry, not all are equally represented in my current photostream).
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- Van Dusen Gardens 1,770 photos, 95 members
- Burnaby 5,776 photos, 329 members
- Dogs Named Sherman 42 photos, 10 members
- Vancouver Extreme Photography (VEP) 32 photos, 5 members
- Photos from the 1980's 3,376 photos, 323 members
- Wetlands of British Columbia 581 photos, 88 members
- Beijing 北京 Photo Community 48,183 photos, 3,537 members
- Le TaBeRnAcLe PhOtO 6,979 photos, 168 members
- View from the top of the new Port Mann Bridge 22 photos, 2 members
- Venice 102,775 photos, 9,300 members
- Photographs of Italy 336,818 photos, 13,417 members
- ITALIA - ITALY - ITALIE - ITALIEN 35,933 photos, 1,245 members
- Veneto 25,157 photos, 935 members
- Canada Street Photography 1,412 photos, 80 members
- BC Transportation and Infrastructure in Focus 21 photos, 4 members
- Captive Dolphin & Whales 349 photos, 46 members
- The Brenizer Method 5,751 photos, 4,249 members
- Flickr Model 57,090 photos, 3,953 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 41,994 photos, 956 members
- Bellagio Las Vegas 2,006 photos, 310 members
- Long-Haired Dachshund 2,838 photos, 166 members
- Doxie See Doxie Do 4,390 photos, 284 members
- Fun Loving Daschunds 1,241 photos, 210 members
- Mini Dachshunds! 9,506 photos, 691 members
- Las Vegas Street Photography 250 photos, 261 members
- Good photo,good details (Film preferred) 67,496 photos, 1,644 members
- 30 000 VIEWS 342 photos, 319 members
- Views 30 000 184 photos, 150 members
- Flickr's pets (NO PEOPLE) 23,723 photos, 1,756 members
- Hoover Dam 2,556 photos, 491 members
- Project Weather 159,009 photos, 38,611 members
- ...BLACK AND WHITE... 19,561 photos, 520 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 62,745 photos, 523 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 12,986 photos, 1,420 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,580 photos, 14,466 members
- Alouette Lake 16 photos, 6 members
- The Golden Ears 229 photos, 48 members
- Faves EXTREME 150..... 226 photos, 73 members
- Faves EXTREME 125..... 154 photos, 71 members
- My Maple Ridge Photo Pool 56 photos, 11 members
- Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows 2,305 photos, 112 members
- LOL CATS -INVITED PHOTOS ONLY! 19,840 photos, 7,854 members
- Kitty's Choice: Because You Are So Special. Invited Photos Only 33,852 photos, 5,397 members
- Artistic Water Shots 160 photos, 16 members
- 28mm or wider 168,922 photos, 4,959 members
- Furry Hats 378 photos, 87 members
- Labrador Retrievers 21,424 photos, 1,470 members
- Labrador Only 40,323 photos, 3,128 members
- Labrador Lovers 35,613 photos, 2,756 members
- Labradors 31,067 photos, 2,831 members
"He has some of the most amazing photos i've seen on Flickr....
Very Good Job Indeed...!"
29th November, 2010
"Russ, your pictures are very inspiring and so sharp! I also like the angle in which you see your subjects they are always a pleasure to look at :)"
22nd July, 2010
"Russ, you have taken so many beautiful photos that capture a moment perfectly. You have also been really supportive to me as I try to learn what makes a good photo. Thanks loads."
4th June, 2007
- Russ Beinder
- February 2007
- Victoria, BC
- Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Software Development
- Eclectic Air Photography