I'd rather be out shooting than in front of my computer, but I will never let an image out into the world unless I've brought out the best in it through post-processing.
- Steve Simon
I got really going on Flickr in March 2007. Since then it has done nothing, but sucked up my time and inspired me to go out and take more photos. Thanks for over 2 million total views by 2014.
Note that most of my photos have all rights reserved. I have allowed my contacts to use my photos for blogging (you must link back to my image on Flickr); everyone else, please ask. I frequently grant limited rights to use my photos with the appropriate attribution and links back to my flickr page and many of them are available for sale.
Please look here if you are interested in any of my photos for your "My Dream Stable".
If you have no photos of your own in your photostream and I do not know you then you may be blocked. If you fav, comment, or make me a contact and your photostream is not suitable to show to my kids, you will be blocked (well over 300 are already blocked, so perhaps no one reads this). Please do not spam my photo stream. That includes inserting a bunch of photos or big badges in comments. Thumbnail size badges or a single thumbnail size photo would probably survive.
Thanks for all your group invitations or invitations to post. Please do not be offended if I do not always respond. I do my best to read all your comments, but sometimes there is not enough time to respond. If you comment or fav any of my photos, do not be surprised if I pop over to your stream and add you as a contact.
Follow me on
Read my blog at
Some of my photographs are available for sale. Click one of the links below:
I've been taking photos since I was about 6, mostly for fun. I started my photographic life with a "Charlie the Tuna" Instamatic camera. I later graduated to a Petri Racer 35mm rangefinder that I got from my grandfather; I used this in the late 70s. Through high school I owned a Chinon CE-4 and later a CE-4s. After high school I kept my Pentax mount lenses, but switched to Pentax MX bodies. Except for this annoying problem where the shutter would give up at inopportune moments they were great, simple, light weight cameras. After giving up on the MX, I switched to Nikon gear and haven't looked back since.
I am now on my fifth Nikon (FM, FA, F100, D200, D700) and all digital. What a different world. No time in the darkroom or waiting for the lab to finish up. Unfortunately it remains as hard as ever to get a good photograph. You just get to see the bad ones faster. How different things might have been if I was growing up today!
Most of my photography these days tends to be centered on my kids or dogs, with only the occasional chance for something different. Pretty well everything on this site is scanned direct from film on a Nikon Coolscan III or 5000 or from my D200 or D700.
Where I have included it, the numbering system is based on the date of the photograph, date of processing, or, for older images, an approximate date. The number after that date is the roll number (in case there was more than one) and the final number is taken from the neg or slide frame number (similar thing for digital except there are no actual rolls of film).
Please contact me if you are interested in using or purchasing any of my images. Most photos have all rights reserved.
My Photographic Style
You would not have to browse my images for too long to see that I am not exactly a fine artist (though I wish I could pull some of that off some time). I shoot what I see when I see it. Occasionally it looks nice enough to post for others to see.
Feel free to give comments that will help me improve my technique or style. I always appreciate the "good job" and "nice", but I also welcome ways I could do things better (or differently).
Nikkor 85 f/1.4G
Nikkor TC-20E III
Nikkor TC-14E II
Nikkor 70-200 AFS VR f/2.8
Nikkor 14-24 AFS f/2.8
Nikkor 24 AF-D f/2.8
Nikkor 50 AF f/1.4
Nikkor Micro 55 f/3.5
Nikon SB800, SB80, SB28
Gitzo G1258 tripod
Gitzo G1276M head
My Old Gear
Nikkor Micro 105 f/4
Noct-Nikkor 58 f/1.2
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D f2.8
Nikkor 17-55 AF-G DX f2.8
Pentax MX SN 9183532
Pentax MX SN 4017173
Chinon CE4s SN 339576
Chinon CE4 SN 259616
Chinon 1:1.9 50mm SN 689987
Kiron 28-85 1:2.8–3.8 SN 1540540
SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm SN 3662250
SMC Pentax-M 1:4 200mm SN 6106905
Countries I have visited (sorry, not all are equally represented in my current photostream).
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- Guanajuato, Mexico 7,632 photos, 812 members
- San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato 1,143 photos, 69 members
- Van Dusen Gardens 1,922 photos, 115 members
- Burnaby 7,062 photos, 352 members
- Dogs Named Sherman 58 photos, 20 members
- Vancouver Extreme Photography (VEP) 33 photos, 5 members
- Photos from the 1980's 5,706 photos, 395 members
- Wetlands of British Columbia 986 photos, 100 members
- Beijing 北京 Photo Community 57,330 photos, 4,009 members
- Le TaBeRnAcLe PhOtO; DiE pHoTo TaVeRnE; ThE pHoTo TaVeRn 10,020 photos, 218 members
- View from the top of the new Port Mann Bridge 22 photos, 2 members
- Venice 130,569 photos, 11,325 members
- Photographs of Italy 483,390 photos, 15,877 members
- ITALIA - ITALY - ITALIE - ITALIEN 141,648 photos, 3,682 members
- Veneto 34,622 photos, 1,227 members
- Canada- Urban Feel Photography 2,076 photos, 88 members
- BC Transportation and Infrastructure in Focus 21 photos, 5 members
- Captive Dolphin & Whales 918 photos, 70 members
- The Brenizer Method 7,374 photos, 5,668 members
- Flickr Model 92,672 photos, 5,016 members
- Field Guide: Birds of British Columbia, Canada 71,863 photos, 1,201 members
- Bellagio Las Vegas 2,460 photos, 366 members
- Long-Haired Dachshund 2,439 photos, 169 members
- Doxie See Doxie Do 5,108 photos, 290 members
- Fun Loving Daschunds 1,206 photos, 223 members
- Mini Dachshunds! 9,783 photos, 714 members
- Las Vegas Street Photography 247 photos, 296 members
- Good photo,good details (Film preferred) 123,363 photos, 2,045 members
- 30 000 VIEWS 2,152 photos, 528 members
- Views 30 000 940 photos, 311 members
- Flickr's pets (NO PEOPLE) 32,743 photos, 2,552 members
- Hoover Dam 3,000 photos, 561 members
- Project Weather 641,698 photos, 94,035 members
- ...BLACK AND WHITE... 35,305 photos, 778 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 68,726 photos, 524 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 17,115 photos, 1,997 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,089 photos, 13,574 members
- Alouette Lake 16 photos, 5 members
- The Golden Ears 258 photos, 53 members
- Faves EXTREME 150..... 370 photos, 112 members
- Faves EXTREME 125..... 124 photos, 96 members
- My Maple Ridge Photo Pool 56 photos, 13 members
- Maple Ridge & Pitt Meadows 2,870 photos, 125 members
- LOL CATS -INVITED PHOTOS ONLY! 20,208 photos, 7,783 members
- Kitty's Choice: Because You Are So Special. Invited Photos Only 39,235 photos, 5,710 members
- Artistic Water Shots 245 photos, 22 members
- 28mm or wider 231,248 photos, 5,899 members
- Furry Hats 377 photos, 92 members
- Labrador Retrievers 27,252 photos, 1,612 members
- Labrador Only 47,912 photos, 3,432 members
"He has some of the most amazing photos i've seen on Flickr....
Very Good Job Indeed...!"
November 29th, 2010
"Russ, your pictures are very inspiring and so sharp! I also like the angle in which you see your subjects they are always a pleasure to look at :)"
July 22nd, 2010
"Russ, you have taken so many beautiful photos that capture a moment perfectly. You have also been really supportive to me as I try to learn what makes a good photo. Thanks loads."
June 4th, 2007
- Russ Beinder
- February 2007
- Victoria, BC
- Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Software Development
- Eclectic Air Photography