William Eggleston from a conversation with Mark Holborn, Greenwood, Mississippi, February 1988:
"I am afraid that there are more people than I can imagine who can go no further than appreciating a picture that is a rectangle with an object in the middle of it, which they can identify.
They don't care what is around the object as long as nothing interferes with the object itself, right in the centre. Even after the lessons of Winogrand and Friedlander, they don't get it. They respect their work because they are told by respectable institutions that they are important artists, but what they really want to see is a picture with a figure or an object in the middle of it. They want something obvious.
The blindness is apparent when someone lets slip the word 'snapshot'. Ignorance can always be covered by 'snapshot'. The word has never had any meaning. I am at war with the obvious."
"Don't shoot how it looks like. Shoot what it feels like."
David Alan Harvey
"When you get a style, you're sort of dead."
- Retro Rides 57,103 photos, 618 members
- Nature Nerds 35,573 photos, 2,989 members
- Light Creations 35,321 photos, 1,610 members
- a collection 11,737 photos, 445 members
- Composition Patterns 118 photos, 307 members
- FLICKR NATURE 4,189,153 photos, 68,885 members
- Soft 38,443 photos, 1,974 members
- Roses - Rosas (Max. 3 pictures per day) 27,507 photos, 3,490 members
- The Modern Front Garden 2,849 photos, 426 members
- Chickens ROCK!! 17,193 photos, 2,530 members
- Reptiles & Amphibians 175,136 photos, 15,269 members
- Ghosts 16,649 photos, 3,925 members
- Light: Trails Experimentation and Abstract/Comment! 36,185 photos, 6,735 members
- Bokeh散景世界 5,377 photos, 359 members
- Australian & New Zealand New Topographics 1,112 photos, 39 members
- URBAN Mundane Everyday, Ordinary & Banal 4,038 photos, 109 members
- Film Photography (1/day) Winners Announced / Contest Open 152,604 photos, 3,202 members
- Inadvertent Art 1,267 photos, 77 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 854,588 photos, 47,802 members
- Bats 5,968 photos, 1,855 members
- Melbourne Silver Mine Inc. 22,999 photos, 892 members
- Canberra Photographers 71,000 photos, 2,096 members
- Tools 6,472 photos, 996 members
- Tulips 47,400 photos, 6,211 members
- Urbex 166,970 photos, 4,322 members
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne 1,823 photos, 36 members
- Puddle Reflections 10,625 photos, 1,938 members
- Creative Street Photography 8,623 photos, 840 members
- Melbourne Suburbia Only 4,744 photos, 458 members
- Befremdliche Landschaft / Strange Terrain 1,934 photos, 356 members
- PL▲NTS (on film) 10,636 photos, 1,121 members
- greenhouse air 2,576 photos, 614 members
- Abstract Reality 190,617 photos, 8,414 members
- Nature as Abstract Artist 71,970 photos, 6,467 members
- Old Trains 74,051 photos, 1,035 members
- Graveyards 74,440 photos, 3,563 members
- I Love Trains 817,371 photos, 17,765 members
- Hand Made Guitars 2,325 photos, 653 members
- Brainless Photography 349 photos, 25 members
- Craquelure 1,757 photos, 116 members
- the good eye 11,873 photos, 193 members
- bifb15 17 photos, 12 members
- Acoustic Guitar Personages 9,686 photos, 2,289 members
- squareFormat 982,701 photos, 40,775 members
- Portraits (Individuality, Imagination, Originality) 352,814 photos, 47,792 members
- TREASURES / IMPRESSED 9,199 photos, 857 members
- Street Minimalism | Color | 1,367 photos, 1,174 members
- The Great Beauty 1,016 photos, 528 members
- A place where to grow - Un luogo dove crescere 34,806 photos, 503 members
- Firework Mutants 14,417 photos, 2,637 members
"Most of the time when I visit barb's stream I am speechless. Her stuff is that good!"
April 11th, 2012
Kevin Day says:
"Barb is an inspirational photographer, not just for her skill in capturing good photographs which she has by the bucketload, but for her ability of vision. There is so much to be learnt on how to open your eyes from browsing this stream that I am amazed there are so few "oh wow" comments here.
Someone once commented on one of my shots that it looked like a "Barb" - that was a highlight of my Flickr life."
October 2nd, 2007
Joie de Vivre says:
"For all I know, Barb agonizes for hours over each of her shots, but they come out appearing so effortless, like she could frame a dozen gallery quality shots on a twenty minute walk."
July 13th, 2007
"Barbara is one of my very first contacts in flickr.
Seeing her exceptional work, was love at the first sight.
I think, it is the way, she is looking at the world around her, that is fascinating me such a lot - and this way of view is captured in any single picture of her.
Her repertoire of topics shows a huge variety. But nevertheless she possesses a definite individual style.
For me, Barbaras pictures are philosophically inspiring, as well as they are a feast for the eyes. Anyway… every single picture of her is a composition, created with absolute passion and the artistic eye, she definitely has.
She is showing us the human loneliness in the urban canyons of the streets of Melbourne, as well as in the nature outside, and she is showing us the beauty of sceneries found in backyards, in buildings, in constructions, in facades or things along the roadside, that nearly nobody else of us would even take a look at.
There is something else, I am very happy about. Barabara is ambitious to expand her skill in photography. Thus, as well by the work she does right now, she is a constant inspiration for me and my attempts to get better in doing photography.
At least barb is an excellent critic for your own pictures. Be sure, if she assesses your work as good, it surely is good."
April 4th, 2007
"Barb always shows us how to use light. Simply, one of the best suburban photographers anywhere. She has a gift for making the unloved shabbiness of backstreets Melbourne somehow alluringly lovely, and has redefined turquoise as a colour for me! I love how her pics are always instantly recognisable. A style all one's own is a fine thing to have."
December 10th, 2006
"when i first encountered barbara's imagery i became anguished and deeply hurt. Her camera seemed to capture the cheesecake of my bavarian childhood, yet when i looked closer i found that she was able to convey subtle subtelties that not even i had seen afore.
if i could be anybody i would be barb, if i couldnt be barb i would be a turkey."
May 24th, 2006
"I highly recommend repeated viewings of Barb's stream, as many of subtleties you will probably miss.
If you could be so lucky as to get Barb's sharp eye on your style, you're lucky indeed, I cherish her praise as her mind is one of the keener, distiguished ones I've ever met, and her photography speaks for itself."
December 19th, 2005
"Barbfi, is one of those rare people who has the enthusiasm and curosity to explore all the options available to them using their camera. This results in a body of work that is diverse and strong. She continaully pushes her own boundaries and this makes her work a delight to behold."
November 5th, 2005
Kalense Kid says:
"Barbara has a keen eye for colour, shape, and texture. Her photos are often simple, but they pack an impressive punch. Her eye for line and form makes her an impressive critic of photographs. If she says a photo is good, it's good.
Browse her photostream. Her shots are never disappointing, often surprising, and always a pleasure."
July 15th, 2005
- Barbara Fischer
- March 2005
- came to Melbourne from Köln
- I am:
- barbfi [at] ihug.com.au