Update May 13, 2011
I'm back, richer one husband, two stepsons, and a new arrival - baby Benjamin.
He's pretty awesome. ;)
Haven't shot much in the last couple years, as Things happened that drove me away from photography as a business and, sadly, shelved the cameras for a time on the personal front too.
Now I'm stronger, healthier, happier, and back in the saddle, reborn as Mama Sara. Yippee!
Update February 6th, 2007
Soooo my pro account expired and a Flickr genie reupped it again. O how I heart Flickr genies. Thanks, you. :)
June 14, 2006
Delighted to be chosen to assist in judging for Flickr's first juried exhibition in New York City. The Blink of an Eye will showcase some of the fabulous images floating around Flickr, with five winners shown in NY. Time to put my thinking cap on, as I am one of the 5 judges. (Muahahaha.)
How cool. :)
Update: May 1, 2006
Health: under control.
Moolah: trickling in.
Kitty: perfectly wonderful.
New house. New haircut. New York. New website in the works and new attitude to match. Things are looking up. :)
Update: October 25
Things are strange, things are rather heavy, but I am kicking and screaming my way through.
See here for an explanation.
*** Ever feel like you're drowning, but if you can just swim through the tunnel, you'll be in Utopia? That's where I am. Wish me happy swimming, and if I don't get back to those of you who email me, my apologies in advance for me tardiness. LOTS on my plate, and things slip through the cracks from time to time. ***
Happy cat, camera lover, and barefoot monkey. Blogged. Lucky.
Passed a month in Myanmar - lots of juicy pics in that set. Set it on slideshow and zen out to another world.
*** Feel like adorning your walls with awful goodness? Check out my print drive. ***
General disclaimer: Apologies for occasional lapses into cat pictures. I can't help it. I lurve him with a lurve that is deep and obsessive. Feel free to browse sets and ignore him completely.
Photos of Sara Heinrichs (awfulsara) (6)
- Masterpieces of Animal Photography 359 photos, 121 members
- Professional Family Photography - Marketing and Business 7,351 photos, 2,115 members
- Newborn posing inspiration group 19,810 photos, 7,995 members
- photomorrobay 42,339 photos, 610 members
- Fray Quarterly: Issue 3: Sex & Death 126 photos, 609 members
- Top 20 Wedding Pics 45 photos, 479 members
- Yes! — Wedding photography 637 photos, 46 members
- totally textures 115,822 photos, 9,586 members
- Female Photographers Group 114,749 photos, 2,969 members
- Flickr 333 312 photos, 414 members
- High School Seniors 1,077 photos, 61 members
- Joshua Trees 1,707 photos, 362 members
- Bending Light 12,435 photos, 3,466 members
- Wee Ones 13,101 photos, 2,451 members
- Mood + The Child (Bnw) 3,932 photos, 528 members
- MOO (MiniCards, Business Cards & More, Printed by MOO) 13,948 photos, 12,907 members
- In Numerical Order 2,325 photos, 11,514 members
- Pagodas of Myanmar 593 photos, 94 members
- Portraits... Get Closer! 656,916 photos, 33,340 members
- photos needed for textbook publisher 1,891 photos, 171 members
- Best of Asia (New rule will be applied after mid of Jan 2010) 20,623 photos, 1,276 members
- A Little Hitchcock 299 photos, 112 members
- Natural Light Child Photography 415,037 photos, 38,395 members
- Somebody else's cat 55,015 photos, 8,260 members
- Children Storyboards 3,524 photos, 1,258 members
- Abandoned 1,106,945 photos, 76,881 members
- LA/OC Flickr Meetups 2,019 photos, 163 members
- Shoot into the Light!!! 35,612 photos, 2,422 members
- Picturing the Woman 77,467 photos, 7,211 members
- The Blink of an Eye 1,920 photos, 2,937 members
- Photographer's Tech Resources 2,123 photos, 4,182 members
- Walk on the Wild Side Cats 14,924 photos, 1,230 members
- Bike Happening 1,357 photos, 52 members
- The Fantastic-al Lives of Little People 881 photos, 228 members
- Mountains & Clouds 192,924 photos, 15,548 members
- Beach Photography 610,925 photos, 75,156 members
- SF Flickr Social 12,254 photos, 933 members
- People & Water 19,301 photos, 1,455 members
- RawShooter 81,552 photos, 1,804 members
- white on white 1,651 photos, 188 members
- Pure White 11,189 photos, 1,899 members
- My Left Face 104 photos, 73 members
- Digital Mirror 6,706 photos, 468 members
- One Feather 2,799 photos, 1,482 members
- The Photographer's Shadow 2,766 photos, 953 members
- My Shadow 1,574 photos, 532 members
- Creative Child Photography 246,191 photos, 22,423 members
- Grain is Good 467,876 photos, 16,079 members
- You are my inspiration 128 photos, 182 members
- The Faces of Grey 21,424 photos, 2,573 members
Emily Post-Punk says:
"Sara who? I'm never giving her 50mm lens back. Shhh - maybe she'll forget that I have it."
March 5th, 2008
"The elevator stopped at every floor except hers. Unwilling to compromise, she walked up all twenty-seven flights."
September 2nd, 2006
Buck Forester says:
"I don't personally know awfulsara other than enjoying her photos here on Flickr, but one thing I do know, she takes awesome photos that are unique in some way or another which makes her one of my favorites on Flickr. Her thoughtful compositions and patience for the right light always convey a special mood. I look forward to her new submissions and I wish the best on her endeavors!"
March 4th, 2006
"awfulsara is the consummate artist blessed with the gift to both be able to really see beauty, and be able to capture it.
I am entranced whenever I let myself be pulled into one of her landscapes. I want to experience the scene. Thank you for capturing them for us.
September 27th, 2005
"Awfulsara is wonderful. Flickr'rs might call her awful for having the absolutely flooring opertunity of her SE Asia trip, which she took great advantage of. However, that impression can only last until you leave her star photos and look at her more local work. She makes opportunities for herself - nobody could find that much beuty by chance, despite her location. She is an awfully gifted photographer."
June 28th, 2005
"One day a Flickr friend wrote me and said: "I've noticed you don't count 'awfulsara' as a contact, but did you see her photos? You might like them. You have much in common, both of you are sooo good at 'shooting' people. Take a look over there, and then tell me if I'm wrong."
This friend wasn't wrong; she was totally right! Sara's work is amazing. She is one of those folks that everything she touches turns to gold...
I don't know if Sara is a natural photogrpaher or if she just really works hard at it (I have a feeling it's both), but her photography is fabulous! She has the artistic skill, and she has the technical skills - and her every photograph reflects both. Each image is a masterpiece.
I stand in awe everytime I look at Sara's work, then realize how far I have to go in mine. But that's okay, because I don't mind aspiring to be like her!"
May 8th, 2005
"Sara is both a creator and a connector. I love her eye for openness, energy, and catholic appeal. I never tire of looking at her pictures.
And how many times have I come across a wonderful photographer on flickr, flipped through her contacts, and found awfulsara's bizarro self portrait among the list?"
March 21st, 2005
""if it wasn't somehow aesthetically unhealthy I would plaster my house with awful sara pics." - my latest comment on her image of an egret in flight. AwfulSara is one of the few photographers I've discovered that almost consistently makes my heart race with every new image she posts. She combines technical skill with her very individual vision - dark and innocent, ironic and compassionate, gritty and graceful, humble and proud, real and surreal for fantastic effect. I wish her everything she wants from photography (and life) but not to get too corrupted by fame that she'll leave flickr!"
March 12th, 2005
johnny b says:
"in a crowd of us, she drinks a drink, eats a meal and tells a story. just like us. what i personally feel is that 'awefull' draws the line where most, unconsciously, step upon. i have faith in her abilities, as a person/life stills/story teller. which story she arm waves around the camp fire, is hers and no others. anyone test that, sure nuff i'll punch them in the face!!"
February 27th, 2005
Art Ascii says:
"She shoots a great photo and I'm flattered even to be added to her contacts list"
February 10th, 2005
Eva Marieville says:
"The lenses through which we view the world are the windows to the soul. You must be an absolutely amazing & wonderful person indeed."
February 8th, 2005
"I disagree with Shmoopdot. There is something very wrong and awful about Sara. To quote myself: “I think she’s warped. I really hope she’s warped”. This woman takes the most amazing and technically perfect photographs. Go to her photosite and you’ll see a breathtaking collection of images. What am I talking about? It’s shagging amazing! Her portraits are just awesome (awfulsome?). She delicately captures her subjects’ personalities and essence with such graceful ease that you start to wonder exactly what kind of sordid deal she’s struck up with Old Nick. Her landscapes are breathtaking, her use of light and colour addictively balanced. Her more abstract shots are poignant and fascinating, and I can’t get enough like the sad, little, gawping git I am. And yet, she’s a complete loon. She wants to play in the sandpit and chase insects. I bet you she runs with scissors. She gapes her maw (to the side). She’s 100%, bona fide, absolutely, completely, awfully My Type of People."
February 4th, 2005
"Under one of Sara's groups, the words "lovely and wild" appear. Well, that's exactly how I'd describe her work. The "wild" comes from the subject matter - raw representations of native people and shots of unadulterated spaces...and the "lovely" comes from her eye that sees it all in a most unique fashion. Some very good work here."
December 16th, 2004
"There is nothing awful about Sara. Takes a mean photo, is quick to laugh, kind hearted, and smart as hell. What more do you want?"
September 15th, 2004
- July 2004
- I am:
- Sara Popp Studios