Athenaeum nowadays remains one of Holland's largest independent bookstores. Its company-structure in fact features a co-ownership by the staff to underline this independent status. Athenaeum Booksellers was founded in 1966, opened its unique "Newscentre" in 1969, a branch in Haarlem in 1988 and started a small campus-store in the local city college in 1998. The Amsterdam bookshop on the lively Spui boasts a large stock not only in the literary field but also in various academic fields, such as (classical and modern) languages and the humanities, keeping in frequent contact with staff of both the University of Amsterdam and Amsterdam’s city college. About 40% of our stock is self-imported. Athenaeum is the preferred supplier of books to many Amsterdam-based cultural and academic institutions. The Athenaeum Nieuwscentrum offers foreign and local newspapers and magazines plus a selection of travel guides and books on design, jazz and pop music.
Athenaeum Boekhandel's favorite photos from other Flickr members (7)
- Pulp Fiction 8,509 photos, 1,396 members
- PAUL RAND modern graphic design fan club 251 photos, 1,554 members
- Retro Kid 5,305 photos, 3,850 members
- SciFi Books 13,509 photos, 766 members
- Vintage Paperbacks (Non-Penguin) 2,831 photos, 335 members
- Penguin Paperback Spotters' Guild 12,571 photos, 1,066 members
- Alvin & Elaine Lustig Design 361 photos, 238 members
- Designers’ Books 2,413 photos, 500 members
- Antique books 11,468 photos, 1,485 members
- ABC Verlag, Zurich 1,146 photos, 134 members
- Smarthistory 11,485 photos, 665 members
Athenaeum Boekhandel doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Athenaeum Boekhandel
- June 2009