Athenaeum nowadays remains one of Holland's largest independent bookstores. Its company-structure in fact features a co-ownership by the staff to underline this independent status. Athenaeum Booksellers was founded in 1966, opened its unique "Newscentre" in 1969, a branch in Haarlem in 1988 and started a small campus-store in the local city college in 1998. The Amsterdam bookshop on the lively Spui boasts a large stock not only in the literary field but also in various academic fields, such as (classical and modern) languages and the humanities, keeping in frequent contact with staff of both the University of Amsterdam and Amsterdam’s city college. About 40% of our stock is self-imported. Athenaeum is the preferred supplier of books to many Amsterdam-based cultural and academic institutions. The Athenaeum Nieuwscentrum offers foreign and local newspapers and magazines plus a selection of travel guides and books on design, jazz and pop music.
Athenaeum Boekhandel's favorite photos from other Flickr members (7)
- Pulp Fiction 8,598 photos, 1,415 members
- PAUL RAND modern graphic design fan club 251 photos, 1,558 members
- Retro Kid 5,305 photos, 3,844 members
- SciFi Books 12,853 photos, 771 members
- Vintage Paperbacks (Non-Penguin) 2,831 photos, 343 members
- Penguin Paperback Spotters' Guild 12,434 photos, 1,072 members
- Alvin & Elaine Lustig Design 361 photos, 242 members
- Designers’ Books 2,459 photos, 503 members
- Antique books 11,631 photos, 1,505 members
- ABC Verlag, Zurich 1,146 photos, 135 members
- Smarthistory 12,414 photos, 668 members
Athenaeum Boekhandel doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Athenaeum Boekhandel
- June 2009