The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. Marcel Proust
Once a correspondent of several major UK, US and Australian newspapers in Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe, I am now settled in an Antwerp loft in a monumental building dating back to the 16th-century, which I use as a base for writing and photography and some fairly extensive travel.
What you will find here is a somewhat eclectic collection, a little bit like a bric-a-brac shop, where you are sure to see something that you enjoy, that amuses you, or may even strike a chord. I try to think "outside of the box" in much of my work, looking for the quirky side of life.
But please do not forget, no commercial use without my prior permission -- illegal usage will incur a penalty more painful than Miami Vice re-runs.
My 'workhorse' is a reliable Canon 300D with 18-55 and 90-300 lenses, plus a Canon Speedlite 550 EV (which I hate using as I do not like flash). Rarely used these days is my Nikon F601 (35-105 lens) -- as I am primarily a writer and find digital photography frees me up (a heresy according to friends who have yet to convert their darkrooms into wine cellars).
All the photos in this growing portfolio have been taken by me during my travels, or while exploring the lesser known parts of the city in which I live. Some are recent, others are gradually being hauled out of my computer files and loaded on Flickr.
One of the hardest things about photography is understanding that your work is not about how you see it, but how it is perceived by others. With that in mind, I welcome honest comments.
My philosophy : You lose, you smile, and you come back the next day. You win, you smile, you come back the next day.
On Twitter: @alaninantwerp
- blackanwhite national photography 17,255 photos, 1,065 members
- Photography on the Web 520 photos, 164 members
- Portraits du monde 203,861 photos, 11,394 members
- _ Haptic Vision | Tangible Images _ 165 photos, 117 members
- FELT LIFE 341,704 photos, 8,186 members
- Emotion in the Inanimate 22,542 photos, 753 members
- Days out and about 274,615 photos, 4,462 members
- Una foto per unire il mondo / One photo to unite the world 103,695 photos, 4,326 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 5,833 photos, 605 members
- WowieKazowie! 212,636 photos, 7,705 members
- Streetside Bokeh 1,097 photos, 125 members
- Close-up Black & White Portraits 33,878 photos, 4,789 members
- Reflections 751,728 photos, 56,993 members
- L'Homme des foules (street & subway photography in cities) 3,487 photos, 138 members
- *Portrait de rue* 46,381 photos, 1,166 members
- Graffiti Hunters 608,978 photos, 4,152 members
- Art Deco 38,967 photos, 3,674 members
- Streets of the World (AntiWar, Anticapitalist , Protests) 11,582 photos, 1,203 members
- What's Your Story? - Sponsored by Kodak 64,170 photos, 2,587 members
- Hommage à Doisneau 43,835 photos, 2,148 members
- UFOs 2,585 photos, 1,142 members
- Art on the windowsill / Art sur le rebord de la fenêtre 49 photos, 24 members
- Who Is? (post 1 comment 1) 18+ 1,266 photos, 380 members
- SUPERB PORTRAIT (P1 - C2) -No sweeper here: just fair-play. 5,584 photos, 911 members
- The Glocal Project: An Experiment in Mass Collaboration 17,024 photos, 1,309 members
- pavement 88,560 photos, 22,299 members
- Beauty of Cities 92,221 photos, 1,756 members
- BODY PAINT 2,774 photos, 1,095 members
- **Beautiful Concepts** 88,310 photos, 2,412 members
- Night Images 1,185,315 photos, 165,815 members
- Super Shots - Post 1 - Award 2 298,577 photos, 40,260 members
- Emotions 532,429 photos, 31,671 members
- ~ Platinum Photography Group ~ 330,364 photos, 33,149 members
- Shield Of Excellence 549,701 photos, 40,754 members
- Vision Quality Group (P1/F2/C2) 95,596 photos, 4,629 members
- Architecture/Cityscape Art 42,813 photos, 1,539 members
- "They don't make them like they used to" 26,741 photos, 486 members
- Nostalgia 47,568 photos, 2,529 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 66,901 photos, 3,201 members
- East European Ecotourism 12,399 photos, 591 members
- Flickr Travel & Eco_photos 201,910 photos, 4,389 members
- It's all about detail 117 photos, 23 members
- Flickr War and Memory in Art and Photography Gallery 8,089 photos, 804 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 163,996 photos, 11,129 members
- A: Photographies de Wallonie (région francophone de Belgique) 39,945 photos, 1,053 members
- Faces of Maturity 22,127 photos, 1,725 members
- THeoLiDeS 98 photos, 7 members
- Bulli e Pupe/ Cool guys and pretty ladies 699 photos, 212 members
- Self Taught Photographers - LOOK AT DISCUSSIONS FIRST! 1,630,252 photos, 59,921 members
- Smile (sonrisa) 10,223 photos, 778 members
wonderful agreement says:
"Alan is one of Flickrs finest... he has a very beautiful, unique and true way of capturing the world and the people in it.
An amazingly talanted photographer whom I admire more than I can say and a wonderful person full of encouragement...
Thank you for sharing your world with us, we are truely lucky!!!"
November 22nd, 2007
"I’ve found Alan´s photo stream occasionally and was fascinated by his creativity, clarity of vision and infinite enthusiasm he has. His deep pictures inspire me and get me motivated. Every photo is concentrated and has a sense. It seems Alan doesn’t upload images that have no significant message. He knows perfectly how to capture the essence of the moment that is expressed on his stream. People portraits are awesome! Alan´s every photo is a gallery-worthy work of art.
It is an honour to have you in my contact, Alan. Keep on posting! P.S. that was such a surprise to see Lithuanian words, u have brightened my day:)"
October 20th, 2007
Bob in Darwin says:
"Alan is a creative person -- which is obvious from the photographs he
> in his growing portfolio, and his favourite shots from other photographers
> around the world. I have known him for some time in his role as editor of
> www.sellingdownun..., an online travel publication that reaches travel
> agents and savvy travellers around the world. Strange, he does not have a
> wide selection of shots from Australia on show (he often looks out for the
> Blots on the Landscape, and adopts the warts-and-all approach). Having
> that, I hope he spends more time in the Outback with his camera next time
> drops by Down Under -- especially in the very photogenic Northern
> home of the king-size crocs.
bob ib darwin"
August 15th, 2007
"Alan is first and foremost a writer, and his photography is just an extra
way of expressing himself. He is very active in digital publishing, and
edits an on-line magazine about travel in Australia that uses a nifty
turn-the-page format.He has an entrepreneurial skill that has led to the launch of several successful publishing projects in the past, and he is currently working on producing a book, digital naturally, that shows some lesser known facets of the life around us. Alan has a strong eye for composition, and has learned a lot in his days in journalism about photo cropping. While most of his work is in colour these days, he is still a black-and-white freak."
August 4th, 2007
- July 2007
- Antwerp, Belgium
- I am: