The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. Marcel Proust
Once a correspondent of several major UK, US and Australian newspapers in Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe, I am now settled in an Antwerp loft in a monumental building dating back to the 16th-century, which I use as a base for writing and photography and some fairly extensive travel.
What you will find here is a somewhat eclectic collection, a little bit like a bric-a-brac shop, where you are sure to see something that you enjoy, that amuses you, or may even strike a chord. I try to think "outside of the box" in much of my work, looking for the quirky side of life.
But please do not forget, no commercial use without my prior permission -- illegal usage will incur a penalty more painful than Miami Vice re-runs.
My 'workhorse' is a reliable Canon 300D with 18-55 and 90-300 lenses, plus a Canon Speedlite 550 EV (which I hate using as I do not like flash). Rarely used these days is my Nikon F601 (35-105 lens) -- as I am primarily a writer and find digital photography frees me up (a heresy according to friends who have yet to convert their darkrooms into wine cellars).
All the photos in this growing portfolio have been taken by me during my travels, or while exploring the lesser known parts of the city in which I live. Some are recent, others are gradually being hauled out of my computer files and loaded on Flickr.
One of the hardest things about photography is understanding that your work is not about how you see it, but how it is perceived by others. With that in mind, I welcome honest comments.
My philosophy : You lose, you smile, and you come back the next day. You win, you smile, you come back the next day.
On Twitter: @alaninantwerp
- blackanwhite national photography 17,422 photos, 1,077 members
- Photography on the Web 521 photos, 162 members
- Portraits du monde 203,441 photos, 10,856 members
- _ Haptic Vision | Tangible Images _ 167 photos, 119 members
- FELT LIFE 343,549 photos, 8,278 members
- Emotion in the Inanimate 22,447 photos, 759 members
- Days out and about 263,576 photos, 4,519 members
- Una foto per unire il mondo / One photo to unite the world 105,036 photos, 4,363 members
- SMOTD Soul Man of the Day 5,755 photos, 606 members
- WowieKazowie! 212,875 photos, 7,776 members
- Streetside Bokeh 1,112 photos, 125 members
- Close-up Black & White Portraits 33,263 photos, 4,756 members
- Reflections 738,990 photos, 56,286 members
- L'Homme des foules (street & subway photography in cities) 3,578 photos, 142 members
- *Portrait de rue* 45,926 photos, 1,141 members
- Graffiti Hunters 568,114 photos, 4,115 members
- Art Deco 38,178 photos, 3,531 members
- Streets of the World (AntiWar, Anticapitalist , Protests) 10,737 photos, 1,195 members
- What's Your Story? - Sponsored by Kodak 62,878 photos, 2,606 members
- Hommage à Doisneau 42,622 photos, 2,147 members
- UFOs 2,498 photos, 1,091 members
- Art on the windowsill / Art sur le rebord de la fenêtre 49 photos, 24 members
- Who Is? (post 1 comment 1) 18+ 1,282 photos, 383 members
- SUPERB PORTRAIT (P1 - C2) -No sweeper here: just fair-play. 5,584 photos, 884 members
- The Glocal Project: An Experiment in Mass Collaboration 17,045 photos, 1,322 members
- pavement 87,131 photos, 22,137 members
- Beauty of Cities 90,758 photos, 1,738 members
- BODY PAINT 2,710 photos, 1,032 members
- **Beautiful Concepts** 88,136 photos, 2,398 members
- Night Images 1,201,753 photos, 163,741 members
- Super Shots - Post 1 - Award 2 294,027 photos, 40,595 members
- Emotions 530,876 photos, 31,807 members
- Platinum Photography Group ~ Happy Thanksgiving 307,792 photos, 33,164 members
- Shield Of Excellence 529,406 photos, 40,857 members
- Vision Quality Group (P1/F2/C2) 98,359 photos, 4,698 members
- Architecture/Cityscape Art 39,869 photos, 1,480 members
- "They don't make them like they used to" 24,569 photos, 481 members
- Nostalgia 46,306 photos, 2,548 members
- TLC photography [upload 1 comment 2] 67,716 photos, 3,256 members
- East European Ecotourism 12,171 photos, 593 members
- Flickr Travel & Eco_photos 188,386 photos, 4,260 members
- It's all about detail 118 photos, 23 members
- Flickr War and Memory in Art and Photography Gallery 7,986 photos, 786 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 157,994 photos, 11,046 members
- A: Photographies de Wallonie (région francophone de Belgique) 37,763 photos, 1,027 members
- Faces of Maturity 21,508 photos, 1,685 members
- THeoLiDeS 98 photos, 7 members
- Bulli e Pupe/ Cool guys and pretty ladies 704 photos, 219 members
- Self Taught Photographers - LOOK AT DISCUSSIONS FIRST! 1,615,426 photos, 60,104 members
- Smile (sonrisa) 10,373 photos, 784 members
Voodoo Plastik says:
"Alan is one of Flickrs finest... he has a very beautiful, unique and true way of capturing the world and the people in it.
An amazingly talanted photographer whom I admire more than I can say and a wonderful person full of encouragement...
Thank you for sharing your world with us, we are truely lucky!!!"
November 22nd, 2007
"I’ve found Alan´s photo stream occasionally and was fascinated by his creativity, clarity of vision and infinite enthusiasm he has. His deep pictures inspire me and get me motivated. Every photo is concentrated and has a sense. It seems Alan doesn’t upload images that have no significant message. He knows perfectly how to capture the essence of the moment that is expressed on his stream. People portraits are awesome! Alan´s every photo is a gallery-worthy work of art.
It is an honour to have you in my contact, Alan. Keep on posting! P.S. that was such a surprise to see Lithuanian words, u have brightened my day:)"
October 20th, 2007
Bob in Darwin says:
"Alan is a creative person -- which is obvious from the photographs he
> in his growing portfolio, and his favourite shots from other photographers
> around the world. I have known him for some time in his role as editor of
> www.sellingdownun..., an online travel publication that reaches travel
> agents and savvy travellers around the world. Strange, he does not have a
> wide selection of shots from Australia on show (he often looks out for the
> Blots on the Landscape, and adopts the warts-and-all approach). Having
> that, I hope he spends more time in the Outback with his camera next time
> drops by Down Under -- especially in the very photogenic Northern
> home of the king-size crocs.
bob ib darwin"
August 15th, 2007
"Alan is first and foremost a writer, and his photography is just an extra
way of expressing himself. He is very active in digital publishing, and
edits an on-line magazine about travel in Australia that uses a nifty
turn-the-page format.He has an entrepreneurial skill that has led to the launch of several successful publishing projects in the past, and he is currently working on producing a book, digital naturally, that shows some lesser known facets of the life around us. Alan has a strong eye for composition, and has learned a lot in his days in journalism about photo cropping. While most of his work is in colour these days, he is still a black-and-white freak."
August 4th, 2007
- July 2007
- Antwerp, Belgium
- I am: