I'm a semi-retired commercial photographer with a specialty in architectural and lifestyle photography in New York City, and I also did a lot of weddings and portraits when I lived in the midwest. I've been published in fancy magazines and hired by major institutions, but Flickr is my melting pot for a combination of personal and business related images that I'm archiving to share publicly with others.
The majority of my public images on Flickr have a Creative Commons license that allows for editorial sharing so long as the images are unaltered, not used for commercial purposes, and credited back to www.anneruthmann.com.
If you'd like to license an image for commercial use or fine art printing - please get in touch with me directly through my website: www.anneruthmann.com.
I'd love to connect with you via social media:
My professional photography journey:
I started working as a professional photographer in 2004 with weddings, portraits, and editorial work, and have moved my photo business from Michigan, to Indiana, to Massachusetts, to Australia, and now living and working in New York City to help support my husband's career changes. These days a lot of my professional work is being made under restricted commercial licensing agreements, so it doesn't often get posted here on Flickr in order to respect my client's designs and licensing restrictions.
When I'm not doing my own photography work, I'm offering workshops and advice on the business of photography over on facebook.com/smarterbusinessworkshop and contributing free articles and unsolicited advice on www.photolovecat.com!
A little more about me...
• Photography is an amazingly freeing way to make a living
• I believe in the power of an image to spread good in the world
• I love to adventure- around the block or around the world
• I believe everyone has a great story to tell
• I love kissing pictures
• I'm a self-professed Mac Geek
• I've also been a professional musician (singer, choral/classical)
• My husband is pretty awesome too (www.alexruthmann.com)
• My desk is a bit cluttered, but I know where everything is
• I'm a dog person
• I'd rather walk 10 miles and look at every detail than run 1 mile and miss it all
• I crave anything different than status quo
• I love a good Pad See-ew
• Fresh bread and dark chocolate are my addictions
• My favorite date is a picnic at an outdoor music concert
• I think folk music is cool
• I love supporting other independent artists
Photos of Anne Ruthmann (9)
- Women Solidarity 162 photos, 39 members
- Women's March Photography 238 photos, 14 members
- Women's March NYC and Beyond 174 photos, 12 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 623,027 photos, 45,624 members
- NYC Women's March 1,139 photos, 20 members
- Women's March 2017 #womensmarch 2,272 photos, 108 members
- Women's March 2017 - Worldwide #womensmarch 2,185 photos, 100 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 118,255 photos, 8,794 members
- NYC Public Art 5,069 photos, 408 members
- NYC in BW 22,678 photos, 1,452 members
- NYC: New York Central [Directory] 16,108 photos, 2,188 members
- Houses - interiors 13,634 photos, 821 members
- New York People 1,462 photos, 99 members
- NYC Street Candids 7,035 photos, 275 members
- Washington Square Park 5,913 photos, 84 members
- West Village, Manhattan 3,027 photos, 232 members
- Greenwich Village, New York 4,583 photos, 335 members
- Greenwich Village-New York City 7,074 photos, 493 members
- Arch Daily 211,120 photos, 8,740 members
- NYU MusEDLab 94 photos, 7 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 501,768 photos, 21,447 members
- LensProToGo 52 Week Photo Project 12,261 photos, 979 members
- Human Good 79 photos, 6 members
- Inspire2011Conference 243 photos, 25 members
- Western Avenue Studios 32 photos, 7 members
- Lowell National Historical Park 220 photos, 44 members
- Ragstock Fashion 42 photos, 18 members
- The Swapaholics 267 photos, 20 members
- Manfrotto Official 71,676 photos, 2,752 members
- Bare Escentuals RETHINK WHAT MATTERS 29 photos, 58 members
- Professional Photographers Challenge 6,441 photos, 457 members
- Perception of the Magic Reality 1,754 photos, 1,285 members
- Vintage Wedding Ideas 820 photos, 148 members
- Wedding Dresses: JuneBugWeddings.com Inspiration Galleries 114 photos, 545 members
- Boston Photo Mob 76,478 photos, 3,018 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 61,408 photos, 5,987 members
- a day in the life of an artist.... 2,397 photos, 395 members
- Red Velvet Art 8,741 photos, 1,260 members
- LensProToGo Studios 275 photos, 66 members
- if journals could talk 5,122 photos, 517 members
- Running a Wedding Photography Business 1,951 photos, 67 members
- Goli Photos 52 photos, 8 members
- Urban Hikers 174 photos, 11 members
- BostonBlogEvents Flickr Fun 3 photos, 7 members
- Hide & Seek -Lowell, MA 6 photos, 6 members
- Rock Shots (Wedding and Engagement Rings!) 757 photos, 219 members
- FashionPhotographyBlog.com 82,498 photos, 15,276 members
- HOT or NOT ? post 1 & comment 3 19,026 photos, 2,099 members
- Kuwait .. عيدي يا كويت ( يا وطن النهار ) ـ 9,870 photos, 1,034 members
- dont box us in 155 photos, 216 members
"I only just recently discovered Anne Ruthmann and wished I had done so long ago! I have been inspired and moved by Anne's creative work - it seems that she has married photographic skill with artistry quite successfully! Congratulations Anne on a great photostream and I look forward to seeing more from you."
September 1st, 2008
"It has been such a pleasure for me to view Anne's photo-stream. I've never been so inspired to pick up my camera and start taking pictures! She is so talented in what she does. I can not see how any of her clients can ever be upset when the finishing product is simply astonishing. I hope to learn as much as possible from viewing her photo-stream and hope that one day I can compose images like her that can take one's breath away. You truly are amazing."
September 20th, 2008
Justin R Phillips says:
"I have to say that Anne's work is very inspiring. As someone who is just starting to break into the world of pro portrait and wedding photography it is great to be able to look at Anne's work and gain inspiration and ideas as I start to build my own creative style. I am an avid reader of Anne's blog and look forward to learning from her work as I grow as a photographer!"
September 22nd, 2008
Jan of Two Sisters says:
"Wow, I am probably the only person on flickr who hasn't already discovered Anne. What great images. I love the wedding work. It captures the emotions of the couples so well. Beautiful work.
I have to keep looking. It is like digging for treasure!"
November 14th, 2008
Stephanie Osborne says:
"Anne's photos are so inspirational. Her unique style shines through yet she manages to capture her subjects essence as well. Creative, unique and very imaginative are only a few words I could use to describe her style. I enjoy looking into her stream and into her world whenever I can!"
December 24th, 2008
"Anne is AMAZING. I was introduced to her work by Nicole Blair of Nicole Ladonne Photography. I have since been addicted to her blog, her website, and now her flickr images. Her work is refreshing and emotional."
June 4th, 2008
"Anne's artistry and originality never ceases to inspire me. She has a killer "eye" and penchant for creating exceptionally stunning images, no doubt, but what really stands out in her work is personality. There is a remarkable connection she makes with her subjects, and In just viewing a few images of a given couple, I get such a sense of who they are. Given the extraordinary character and beauty of her work, she would certainly be entitled to a grand ego to match, but in fact, she is a class-act all around, and a selfless, generous mentor to so many of us."
May 22nd, 2008
Amy Wadlington says:
"Anne's work is inspirational. Her photographs have a life and they commence so much emotion. Anne has the ability to draw me into her subject/s so much that I feel like I know the them (or at least want to know them!) :) She has been blessed with a true gift."
May 21st, 2008
"one word...incredible. every photo looks like an ad in a magazine. beautiful work. if i weren't already married, i'd have anne shoot my wedding. just great work."
May 15th, 2008
"how wonderful it is when a photographer's wit, charm + whimsy come shining through their work....wow! Anne Ruthmann is that kind of girl! We've not met in person, but Anne's ideas + insight have at times motivated, inspired and reassured me. Thank you, Anne, for giving so much to so many! ~ amy enderle, SilverBox Photographers"
March 2nd, 2008
"What can I say about Anne that hasn't already been said? Anne is one of those photographers whose work makes you think to yourself, "why didn't I think of that?!". Her approach to her subjects is consistently innovative and fresh--it's impossible to get bored looking at her images.
As if that weren't enough, she is also a funny, generous, awesome person and a admirably strong woman. She is never afraid to be herself, which is something I think most of us could use a lesson in.
I don't think anyone can deny that she is destined for greatness."
February 22nd, 2008
"I've heard the name Anne Ruthmann through the grapevine for a while now, but only recently have I actually explored her amazing world!
I'm completely mesmerized by the way she captures people. Not just a face, but a person; complete with their feelings, interactions and emotions.
On top of that, her beautiful colors and amazing compositions prove that she is truly a master."
February 12th, 2008
"""your photographs really leaves me speechless each time i view them! with each photo a story is told and left to the mind of the viewer to imagine... not all photographers can achieve this element of mystery in their work! but i congratulate you because you are gifted with this talent!
i love all your works! your just so Wonderful ! ^_^ "
February 9th, 2008
Think Splendid™ says:
"Anne is not only a phenomenal photographer and artist, she is an even better person. She is so generous with her knowledge and I love that she is willing to answer even the most mundane of questions. She is the epitome of a "lovecat"."
January 15th, 2008
Blind Soul says:
"She's pretty, funny, deep, thoughtful, and so damn imaginative! I love cruising through her pics, admiring how special outlook.
August 1st, 2008
Neil Cowley says:
"Anne makes me smile, so I'm sure it will work for you as well - cause I'm a tough customer.
I didn't know Anne from adam, but one day she wrote asking me for some advice - and something funny came out of it. Since then it's been fun to see her grow in her craft and her creativity; and see all the fun and funny things she makes images of. If you're in the market for a photographer, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her images or her personality."
January 13th, 2008
"Anne has an amazing eye for details. She catches moments that most people seem to miss. Her shots always surprise and delight me, she's hugely skilled and a big inspiration."
December 4th, 2007
"Clearly one of the best. Not only an awesome photographer but your help to other photographers does not go unnoticed.
November 29th, 2007
"I like Anne's journalistic approach. Her composition is always nicely done and creative as well. The post-processing brings more life to the pictures. They inspire and I thank Anne for sharing her photos."
November 21st, 2007
"I just love Anne's eye for wedding photogrpahy. It's unique, creative, and eye catching. Her images really draw the viewer in so they can catch a glimpse of what that moment was like.... wonderful. I always find myself going back to her site for inspiration. Great work!!"
October 19th, 2007
katy regnier says:
"I always love checking out Anne's work to see what she'll come up with next! She has such a knack for capturing true emotion and the essence of personality. Her work is consistently gorgeous and always worth coming back to look at one more time!"
October 17th, 2007
Ali Walker Photography says:
"Anne's work is wonderful. As an aspiring wedding photographer, I am always looking at her amazing work for inspiration. What's more, she's incredibly generous and forthcoming with her knowledge. I always look forward to updates in her Flickr stream."
October 13th, 2007
"I don't have enough space to write the multitude of feelings I could share about Anne. As an artist, she has such an instinct & sensitivity for people and who they really are. The photos she did for us were truly, 100%, US. And as a friend, well.... she absolutely ROCKS & I wish we lived closer together. Our friendship is one of those crazy random happenings that make life really awesome. :)"
October 5th, 2007
"anne inspires me. i don't care how cliche that sounds, it is the truth. her work is technically wonderful, but it is so accessible that it encourages you to do better yourself. i love looking at the images she creates, but more than that... i love seeing the emotions that anne saw. everything plays into them: the lighting, the angle, the processing, whether she chose color or black & white. look at her photos, read her blog - you'll be glad you did."
September 28th, 2007
"**Note to self: Come back tomorrow to look at the rest of Anne's photoset...
So far everything I've seen is stunning.
Two days worth of looking and I've deicded that I want to be Anne when I grow up...
I mean, I strive to gain the talent and eye that she has."
September 19th, 2007
"All i have to say is you are my insperation...i love your work!! i am always excited to see your recent photos... i wish i lived closer to you so I could try and get you to let me shadow you! keep up the amazing work!"
July 11th, 2007
"I love to see new images posted by Anne Ruthmann. I have to say her name all together. She is wonderful. I just told a good friend to view her Flickr images – noting what a wonderful relationships images in her portfolio. Wonderful work. Huge fan. Never met her. Don't know her. Love her work. Great things coming from this artist."
July 4th, 2007
Little Spooks says:
"Anne has such a wonderful eye for photography. I love all of her photos and enjoy looking at the new ones she uploads. Keep up the awesome work."
June 14th, 2007
"When i saw Annes photos i thought "So nice! I want to make photo like this. And i want to have photo like this with myself!"
She is a genius =)"
April 18th, 2007
Dane Sanders says:
"Cool cool cool ..."
January 7th, 2006
- Anne Ruthmann
- February 2005
- Motown (Detroit, MI)
- Greenwich Village, New York, NY, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Professional Photographer for Architects, Interior Designers, Builders, Developers, Resorts
- Anne Ruthmann Photography