• The majority of my public images on Flickr have a Creative Commons license that allows for editorial sharing so long as the images are unaltered, not used for commercial purposes, and credited back to www.anneruthmann.com.
• If you'd like to license an image for commercial use or fine art printing - please get in touch with me directly through my website: www.anneruthmann.com.
WHAT'S UP RIGHT NOW?
Currently getting ready to launch the Pricing Workbook for Creatives! (pricingworkbookforcreatives.com) I'm a semi-retired commercial photographer (I still actively defend my creative copyrights) with a specialty in architectural and lifestyle photography in New York City, and I did a lot of weddings and portraits while living in the midwest. I've been published in fancy magazines and hired by major institutions, but Flickr is my melting pot for a combination of personal iPhone photos of my travels and business related images that I'm archiving to share publicly with others.
LET'S STAY IN TOUCH ONLINE:
Instagram for my Personal Adventures: instagram.com/anneruthmann
Facebook Photo Business Page (now retired): facebook.com/anneruthmannphotography
MY PROFESSIONAL PHOTO JOURNEY:
Started accepting work as a professional photographer in Rochester Hills, MI (Detroit suburb) photographing headshots, modeling portfolios, and musician marketing materials as well as photographing my first few weddings while I was working other jobs in Music Education, Historic Architecture Group Tour Grants, and Performing Arts as a paid singer.
Committed to being a full-time professional photographer and accepted many more wedding photography clients which kept me busy for an entire year.
Moved to Terre Haute, IN to support my husband seeking a new career position and continued serving wedding and portrait clients between Detroit, Chicago, and Indianapolis (very few people actually hired photographers in Terre Haute, IN- most of my work was in larger cities). Did quite a few destination weddings around the world and photographed weddings on both coasts between New York & Los Angeles and many places in between.
Moved to Lowell, MA to support my husband seeking a new career position and continued working as a full time photographer serving wedding & portrait clients in New England, with more of the destination and midwest work dropping off due to the cost of living on the East Coast pricing me out of other less expensive markets. Opened a Photography Artist Studio in Western Ave Studios and created more studio work, boudoir work, and pinup work with studio lighting, props, and furniture at hand. Hosted fun photo booth style open houses to build relationships and give people fun memories. Picked up an ongoing retainer and contract with the University of Massachusetts Lowell, which allowed me to spend more time with friends and family on the weekends and take fewer weddings while working more during weekdays.
Moved to Brisbane, Australia for 5 months, then traveled Europe for 3 months. Picked up a working photography travel contract with Airbnb, explored lots of homes and apartments through Airbnb assignments, learned how to negotiate better rates of pay with a larger contracting organization, got back into loving architecture through photographing people's homes.
Moved to New York City where I thought I would continue doing event, wedding, and portrait work, but quickly shifted my focus to Architecture & Interiors while also using my Airbnb contract to build that body of work before I secured more large commercial Architecture & Interior Design firms. Helped my design clients win awards and get published in major magazines and land multi-million dollar projects with their portfolios photographed by me.
Decided to retire from photography in order to focus more heavily on growing my other passions in Reiki Practice and Creative Business Consulting.
Best retirement year ever. Traveled most of the year, did very little work, and lived life to the fullest. Completed writing the Pricing Workbook for Creatives as a way to help other creative entrepreneurs build similar freedom and fun filled lives full of creative inspiration and passionate work. Continued to build out stock image portfolios and license previously photographed commercial work to vendors who cooperated on commercial photo shoots.
Editing & publishing the Pricing Workbook for Creatives before leaving on a year long adventure between Asia & Europe.
When I'm not traveling for adventures or bringing other creative people along, I'm offering workshops and consulting over on facebook.com/smarterbusinessworkshop and contributing free articles and unsolicited advice on www.photolovecat.com!
A little more about me...
• I believe photography is an amazingly freeing way to make a living
• I believe in the power of a single image to spread good in the world
• I love to adventure- around the block or around the world
• I believe everyone has a great story to tell
• I love capturing love
• Apple has taken way too much of my money in my lifetime
• I'm also a professional musician (singer, choral/classical) and can play a mean flute and hack a few songs on a piano and guitar
• My husband is pretty amazing too (www.alexruthmann.com)
• My desk is a bit cluttered, but I know where everything is
• I'm a dog person
• I'd rather walk 10 miles and look at every detail than run 1 mile and miss it all
• I crave anything different than status quo
• I love a good Pad See-ew full of veggies
• Fresh bread and dark chocolate make me melt on the inside
• My favorite date is a picnic at an outdoor music concert
• I think folk music is cool
• I love supporting other independent artists
Photos of Anne Ruthmann (12)
- Women Solidarity 164 photos, 39 members
- Women's March Photography 246 photos, 15 members
- Women's March NYC and Beyond 180 photos, 13 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 617,453 photos, 45,999 members
- NYC Women's March 1,140 photos, 20 members
- Women's March 2017 #womensmarch 2,187 photos, 104 members
- Women's March 2017 - Worldwide #womensmarch 2,113 photos, 100 members
- New York City Landmarks & Icons 120,458 photos, 8,862 members
- NYC Public Art 5,456 photos, 434 members
- NYC in BW 23,217 photos, 1,479 members
- NYC: New York Central [Directory] 16,614 photos, 2,221 members
- Houses - interiors 13,930 photos, 834 members
- New York People 1,300 photos, 98 members
- NYC Street Candids 6,985 photos, 277 members
- Washington Square Park 15,556 photos, 87 members
- West Village, Manhattan 3,068 photos, 236 members
- Greenwich Village, New York 4,686 photos, 336 members
- Greenwich Village-New York City 7,091 photos, 491 members
- Arch Daily 219,533 photos, 8,790 members
- NYU MusEDLab 94 photos, 7 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 500,257 photos, 21,250 members
- LensProToGo 52 Week Photo Project 11,996 photos, 960 members
- Human Good 85 photos, 6 members
- Inspire2011Conference 243 photos, 25 members
- Western Avenue Studios 32 photos, 7 members
- Lowell National Historical Park 230 photos, 44 members
- Ragstock Fashion 42 photos, 18 members
- The Swapaholics 267 photos, 20 members
- Manfrotto Official 70,391 photos, 2,745 members
- Bare Escentuals RETHINK WHAT MATTERS 29 photos, 58 members
- Professional Photographers Challenge 6,356 photos, 456 members
- Perception of the Magic Reality 1,739 photos, 1,261 members
- Vintage Wedding Ideas 820 photos, 148 members
- Wedding Dresses: JuneBugWeddings.com Inspiration Galleries 111 photos, 546 members
- Boston Photo Mob 76,365 photos, 3,007 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 62,991 photos, 6,083 members
- a day in the life of an artist.... 2,418 photos, 386 members
- Red Velvet Art 8,588 photos, 1,245 members
- LensProToGo Studios 276 photos, 66 members
- if journals could talk 4,826 photos, 505 members
- Running a Wedding Photography Business 1,869 photos, 67 members
- Goli Photos 52 photos, 7 members
- Urban Hikers 174 photos, 10 members
- BostonBlogEvents Flickr Fun 3 photos, 7 members
- Hide & Seek -Lowell, MA 6 photos, 6 members
- Rock Shots (Wedding and Engagement Rings!) 751 photos, 224 members
- FashionPhotographyBlog.com 81,770 photos, 15,122 members
- HOT or NOT ? post 1 & comment 3 18,949 photos, 2,088 members
- Kuwait .. عيدي يا كويت ( يا وطن النهار ) ـ 9,873 photos, 1,030 members
- dont box us in 155 photos, 212 members
"I only just recently discovered Anne Ruthmann and wished I had done so long ago! I have been inspired and moved by Anne's creative work - it seems that she has married photographic skill with artistry quite successfully! Congratulations Anne on a great photostream and I look forward to seeing more from you."
September 1st, 2008
thoughtless soap says:
"It has been such a pleasure for me to view Anne's photo-stream. I've never been so inspired to pick up my camera and start taking pictures! She is so talented in what she does. I can not see how any of her clients can ever be upset when the finishing product is simply astonishing. I hope to learn as much as possible from viewing her photo-stream and hope that one day I can compose images like her that can take one's breath away. You truly are amazing."
September 20th, 2008
Justin R Phillips says:
"I have to say that Anne's work is very inspiring. As someone who is just starting to break into the world of pro portrait and wedding photography it is great to be able to look at Anne's work and gain inspiration and ideas as I start to build my own creative style. I am an avid reader of Anne's blog and look forward to learning from her work as I grow as a photographer!"
September 22nd, 2008
Jan of Two Sisters says:
"Wow, I am probably the only person on flickr who hasn't already discovered Anne. What great images. I love the wedding work. It captures the emotions of the couples so well. Beautiful work.
I have to keep looking. It is like digging for treasure!"
November 14th, 2008
Stephanie Osborne says:
"Anne's photos are so inspirational. Her unique style shines through yet she manages to capture her subjects essence as well. Creative, unique and very imaginative are only a few words I could use to describe her style. I enjoy looking into her stream and into her world whenever I can!"
December 24th, 2008
"Anne is AMAZING. I was introduced to her work by Nicole Blair of Nicole Ladonne Photography. I have since been addicted to her blog, her website, and now her flickr images. Her work is refreshing and emotional."
June 4th, 2008
humorous cellar says:
"Anne's artistry and originality never ceases to inspire me. She has a killer "eye" and penchant for creating exceptionally stunning images, no doubt, but what really stands out in her work is personality. There is a remarkable connection she makes with her subjects, and In just viewing a few images of a given couple, I get such a sense of who they are. Given the extraordinary character and beauty of her work, she would certainly be entitled to a grand ego to match, but in fact, she is a class-act all around, and a selfless, generous mentor to so many of us."
May 22nd, 2008
Amy Wadlington says:
"Anne's work is inspirational. Her photographs have a life and they commence so much emotion. Anne has the ability to draw me into her subject/s so much that I feel like I know the them (or at least want to know them!) :) She has been blessed with a true gift."
May 21st, 2008
hesitant pocket says:
"one word...incredible. every photo looks like an ad in a magazine. beautiful work. if i weren't already married, i'd have anne shoot my wedding. just great work."
May 15th, 2008
"how wonderful it is when a photographer's wit, charm + whimsy come shining through their work....wow! Anne Ruthmann is that kind of girl! We've not met in person, but Anne's ideas + insight have at times motivated, inspired and reassured me. Thank you, Anne, for giving so much to so many! ~ amy enderle, SilverBox Photographers"
March 2nd, 2008
"What can I say about Anne that hasn't already been said? Anne is one of those photographers whose work makes you think to yourself, "why didn't I think of that?!". Her approach to her subjects is consistently innovative and fresh--it's impossible to get bored looking at her images.
As if that weren't enough, she is also a funny, generous, awesome person and a admirably strong woman. She is never afraid to be herself, which is something I think most of us could use a lesson in.
I don't think anyone can deny that she is destined for greatness."
February 22nd, 2008
"I've heard the name Anne Ruthmann through the grapevine for a while now, but only recently have I actually explored her amazing world!
I'm completely mesmerized by the way she captures people. Not just a face, but a person; complete with their feelings, interactions and emotions.
On top of that, her beautiful colors and amazing compositions prove that she is truly a master."
February 12th, 2008
knotty ring says:
"""your photographs really leaves me speechless each time i view them! with each photo a story is told and left to the mind of the viewer to imagine... not all photographers can achieve this element of mystery in their work! but i congratulate you because you are gifted with this talent!
i love all your works! your just so Wonderful ! ^_^ "
February 9th, 2008
Think Splendid™ says:
"Anne is not only a phenomenal photographer and artist, she is an even better person. She is so generous with her knowledge and I love that she is willing to answer even the most mundane of questions. She is the epitome of a "lovecat"."
January 15th, 2008
efficient surprise says:
"She's pretty, funny, deep, thoughtful, and so damn imaginative! I love cruising through her pics, admiring how special outlook.
August 1st, 2008
Neil Cowley says:
"Anne makes me smile, so I'm sure it will work for you as well - cause I'm a tough customer.
I didn't know Anne from adam, but one day she wrote asking me for some advice - and something funny came out of it. Since then it's been fun to see her grow in her craft and her creativity; and see all the fun and funny things she makes images of. If you're in the market for a photographer, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her images or her personality."
January 13th, 2008
"Anne has an amazing eye for details. She catches moments that most people seem to miss. Her shots always surprise and delight me, she's hugely skilled and a big inspiration."
December 4th, 2007
"Clearly one of the best. Not only an awesome photographer but your help to other photographers does not go unnoticed.
November 29th, 2007
"I like Anne's journalistic approach. Her composition is always nicely done and creative as well. The post-processing brings more life to the pictures. They inspire and I thank Anne for sharing her photos."
November 21st, 2007
"I just love Anne's eye for wedding photogrpahy. It's unique, creative, and eye catching. Her images really draw the viewer in so they can catch a glimpse of what that moment was like.... wonderful. I always find myself going back to her site for inspiration. Great work!!"
October 19th, 2007
katy regnier says:
"I always love checking out Anne's work to see what she'll come up with next! She has such a knack for capturing true emotion and the essence of personality. Her work is consistently gorgeous and always worth coming back to look at one more time!"
October 17th, 2007
Ali Walker Photography says:
"Anne's work is wonderful. As an aspiring wedding photographer, I am always looking at her amazing work for inspiration. What's more, she's incredibly generous and forthcoming with her knowledge. I always look forward to updates in her Flickr stream."
October 13th, 2007
"I don't have enough space to write the multitude of feelings I could share about Anne. As an artist, she has such an instinct & sensitivity for people and who they really are. The photos she did for us were truly, 100%, US. And as a friend, well.... she absolutely ROCKS & I wish we lived closer together. Our friendship is one of those crazy random happenings that make life really awesome. :)"
October 5th, 2007
sophisticated tent says:
"anne inspires me. i don't care how cliche that sounds, it is the truth. her work is technically wonderful, but it is so accessible that it encourages you to do better yourself. i love looking at the images she creates, but more than that... i love seeing the emotions that anne saw. everything plays into them: the lighting, the angle, the processing, whether she chose color or black & white. look at her photos, read her blog - you'll be glad you did."
September 28th, 2007
piquant song says:
"**Note to self: Come back tomorrow to look at the rest of Anne's photoset...
So far everything I've seen is stunning.
Two days worth of looking and I've deicded that I want to be Anne when I grow up...
I mean, I strive to gain the talent and eye that she has."
September 19th, 2007
"All i have to say is you are my insperation...i love your work!! i am always excited to see your recent photos... i wish i lived closer to you so I could try and get you to let me shadow you! keep up the amazing work!"
July 11th, 2007
"I love to see new images posted by Anne Ruthmann. I have to say her name all together. She is wonderful. I just told a good friend to view her Flickr images – noting what a wonderful relationships images in her portfolio. Wonderful work. Huge fan. Never met her. Don't know her. Love her work. Great things coming from this artist."
July 4th, 2007
Little Spooks says:
"Anne has such a wonderful eye for photography. I love all of her photos and enjoy looking at the new ones she uploads. Keep up the awesome work."
June 14th, 2007
"When i saw Annes photos i thought "So nice! I want to make photo like this. And i want to have photo like this with myself!"
She is a genius =)"
April 18th, 2007
Dane Sanders says:
"Cool cool cool ..."
January 7th, 2006
- Anne Ruthmann
- February 2005
- Motown (Detroit, MI)
- Greenwich Village, New York, NY, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Professional Photographer for Architects, Interior Designers, Builders, Developers, Resorts
- Anne Ruthmann Photography