I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- Flickr Post 6,579 photos, 556 members
- BBC Winterwatch 175,170 photos, 8,733 members
- Visit Barnsley 2,903 photos, 81 members
- Higger Tor - Peak District 191 photos, 19 members
- Uig & Bernera 573 photos, 52 members
- Western Isles in Black & White 1,527 photos, 104 members
- Outer Hebrides 16,049 photos, 878 members
- Isle of Lewis & Harris 17,717 photos, 857 members
- Deer me! 3,625 photos, 559 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 702,258 photos, 32,789 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 223,985 photos, 16,239 members
- CHURCHES 2 31,503 photos, 877 members
- SHEFFIELD AND NORTHERN RAMBLERS 16,173 photos, 748 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 149,777 photos, 10,917 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 617,278 photos, 43,417 members
- Today's Flickr 553,514 photos, 8,106 members
- The Capsule Of Timeless Photographs 504 photos, 287 members
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - Alternative Choice 5,882 photos, 200 members
- Barnsley Chronicle Photo Submission 241 photos, 45 members
- VisitEngland Images 617 photos, 149 members
- Butterflies 170,374 photos, 14,114 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 237,032 photos, 8,833 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 591,951 photos, 32,888 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 99,354 photos, 4,681 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 22,224 photos, 434 members
- Landscapes in Black & White 49,813 photos, 3,415 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 109,301 photos, 4,316 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 115,807 photos, 3,603 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 926 photos, 70 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 3,361 photos, 183 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 103,934 photos, 7,471 members
- Moor/bog 2,553 photos, 155 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 3,733 photos, 113 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 51 members
- History is All Around Us 162,511 photos, 3,863 members
- Castle Hill 881 photos, 144 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 131,174 photos, 7,612 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 298,102 photos, 45,356 members
- British Outdoor Photographer's Gallery 9,089 photos, 233 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,927 photos, 167 members
- British Rock Art Collection 250 photos, 83 members
- Black and White Photographs 44,301 photos, 844 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,143 photos, 12,881 members
- UK snow – your pictures 512 photos, 263 members
- Countryfile 546,875 photos, 6,369 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 5,665 photos, 188 members
- Peak District Scenes 26,941 photos, 793 members
- British National Parks 52,431 photos, 1,473 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 467 photos, 77 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 2,171 photos, 65 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography