I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- Higger Tor - Peak District 85 photos, 12 members
- Uig & Bernera 561 photos, 52 members
- Western Isles in Black & White 1,489 photos, 102 members
- Outer Hebrides 15,728 photos, 867 members
- Isle of Lewis & Harris 17,440 photos, 839 members
- Deer me! 3,640 photos, 546 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 640,902 photos, 30,781 members
- Animal Planet 947,712 photos, 72,368 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 225,635 photos, 16,091 members
- CHURCHES 2 27,720 photos, 830 members
- SHEFFIELD RAMBLERS 14,152 photos, 709 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 145,053 photos, 10,728 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 608,121 photos, 42,109 members
- Today's Flickr 438,943 photos, 7,014 members
- The Capsule Of Timeless Photographs 512 photos, 287 members
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - Alternative Choice 5,630 photos, 192 members
- Barnsley Chronicle Photo Submission 241 photos, 44 members
- VisitEngland Images 617 photos, 149 members
- Butterflies 167,002 photos, 14,028 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 237,795 photos, 8,848 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 536,637 photos, 31,745 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 91,008 photos, 4,632 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 19,231 photos, 409 members
- Landscapes in Black & White 44,371 photos, 3,150 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 100,554 photos, 4,249 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 104,343 photos, 3,400 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 935 photos, 70 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 3,332 photos, 181 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 96,272 photos, 7,224 members
- Moor/bog 2,243 photos, 144 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 3,531 photos, 112 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 49 members
- History is All Around Us 152,752 photos, 3,736 members
- Castle Hill 856 photos, 143 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 127,586 photos, 7,557 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 292,918 photos, 45,003 members
- British Outdoor Photographer's Gallery 9,031 photos, 233 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,852 photos, 162 members
- British Rock Art Collection 243 photos, 80 members
- Black and White Photographs 41,386 photos, 788 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,194 photos, 12,938 members
- UK snow – your pictures 517 photos, 264 members
- Countryfile 510,530 photos, 6,023 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 5,372 photos, 174 members
- Peak District Scenes 25,463 photos, 754 members
- British National Parks 48,657 photos, 1,397 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 430 photos, 76 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 2,060 photos, 64 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 89,245 photos, 9,619 members
- yorkshire based photographers 81,421 photos, 843 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography