I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- Deer me! 971 photos, 200 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 464,446 photos, 25,992 members
- Animal Planet 842,019 photos, 68,492 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 226,963 photos, 15,841 members
- CHURCHES 2 12,972 photos, 738 members
- SHEFFIELD RAMBLERS 8,746 photos, 656 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 137,107 photos, 10,541 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 537,279 photos, 36,919 members
- Today's Flickr 181,172 photos, 4,655 members
- The Capsule Of Timeless Photographs 527 photos, 270 members
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - Alternative Choice 5,082 photos, 172 members
- Barnsley Chronicle Photo Submission 241 photos, 42 members
- VisitEngland Images 618 photos, 148 members
- Butterflies 153,236 photos, 13,633 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 195,502 photos, 8,278 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 433,212 photos, 28,648 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 69,200 photos, 4,472 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 11,999 photos, 355 members
- The Land in Black & White 29,827 photos, 2,363 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 81,277 photos, 4,105 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 76,497 photos, 2,975 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 857 photos, 47 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 3,230 photos, 172 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 73,057 photos, 6,583 members
- Moor/bog 1,964 photos, 121 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 3,028 photos, 105 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 48 members
- History is All Around Us 128,959 photos, 3,335 members
- Castle Hill 856 photos, 137 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 118,194 photos, 7,368 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 279,423 photos, 42,402 members
- British Outdoor Photographer's Gallery 8,658 photos, 218 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,684 photos, 153 members
- British Rock Art Collection 242 photos, 74 members
- Black and White Photographs 32,306 photos, 637 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,542 photos, 13,078 members
- UK snow – your pictures 521 photos, 261 members
- Countryfile 408,484 photos, 5,297 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 4,559 photos, 154 members
- Peak District Scenes 22,857 photos, 665 members
- British National Parks 40,622 photos, 1,171 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 359 photos, 62 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 1,697 photos, 55 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 70,446 photos, 8,790 members
- yorkshire based photographers 69,625 photos, 767 members
- VisitEngland 9,521 photos, 492 members
- PLANET EARTH OUR HOME 466,848 photos, 11,251 members
- Land escapes 1,467 photos, 72 members
- Peak District National Trust 2,243 photos, 79 members
- Winter Wonderland 259,814 photos, 23,261 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography