I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- WALKING LANDSCAPES. . 16,701 photos, 1,611 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 457 photos, 17 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 2,909 photos, 160 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 29,355 photos, 4,374 members
- Moor/bog 1,589 photos, 89 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 1,322 photos, 72 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 47 members
- History is All Around Us 90,887 photos, 2,626 members
- Castle Hill 700 photos, 116 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 99,737 photos, 6,889 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 249,678 photos, 36,941 members
- British Outdoor Photographer 3,151 photos, 134 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,394 photos, 132 members
- British Rock Art Collection 202 photos, 65 members
- Black and White Photographs 18,518 photos, 399 members
- Guardian Camera Club 27,748 photos, 13,306 members
- UK snow – your pictures 537 photos, 239 members
- Countryfile 254,863 photos, 3,845 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 2,754 photos, 112 members
- Peak District Scenes 15,475 photos, 480 members
- British National Parks 26,820 photos, 819 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 197 photos, 43 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 1,109 photos, 38 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 34,392 photos, 4,802 members
- yorkshire based photographers 48,556 photos, 594 members
- VisitEngland 9,538 photos, 460 members
- PLANET EARTH OUR HOME 231,989 photos, 6,480 members
- Land escapes 754 photos, 59 members
- Peak District National Trust 1,057 photos, 43 members
- Winter Wonderland 237,150 photos, 22,186 members
- WorldLandscapes 228,556 photos, 8,253 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 484,056 photos, 11,347 members
- Peak District Activities 2,569 photos, 93 members
- Your Peak District Experience 7,972 photos, 237 members
- Your Yorkshire 127 photos, 27 members
- Capture the Countryside 271 photos, 83 members
- Rock Photography 123,209 photos, 8,090 members
- Hawkwind 407 photos, 47 members
- B&W 3,520,275 photos, 172,582 members
- B/W Landscapes 15,779 photos, 2,825 members
- Saddleworth Photobook 413 photos, 26 members
- Saddleworth and Surroundings 7,579 photos, 297 members
- The Green Earth Magazine 15,868 photos, 1,290 members
- Sheffield 39,708 photos, 2,121 members
- Heritage Key 39,768 photos, 1,720 members
- Standing Stones 8,131 photos, 1,663 members
- "U.K. PHOTO GALLERY" 429,205 photos, 3,668 members
- Yorkshire Weather Photos 5,578 photos, 527 members
- Art in Black and White 174,085 photos, 10,228 members
- ***MONO**SEPIA**Active sweeper** 60,513 photos, 3,294 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography