I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- Higger Tor - Peak District 136 photos, 16 members
- Uig & Bernera 565 photos, 52 members
- Western Isles in Black & White 1,506 photos, 104 members
- Outer Hebrides 15,822 photos, 870 members
- Isle of Lewis & Harris 17,534 photos, 842 members
- Deer me! 3,625 photos, 555 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 659,311 photos, 31,371 members
- Animal Planet 960,600 photos, 72,886 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 224,831 photos, 16,241 members
- CHURCHES 2 29,927 photos, 848 members
- SHEFFIELD AND NORTHERN RAMBLERS 14,854 photos, 735 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 146,187 photos, 10,768 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 611,665 photos, 42,414 members
- Today's Flickr 479,532 photos, 7,400 members
- The Capsule Of Timeless Photographs 511 photos, 289 members
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - Alternative Choice 5,737 photos, 197 members
- Barnsley Chronicle Photo Submission 241 photos, 44 members
- VisitEngland Images 617 photos, 150 members
- Butterflies 168,528 photos, 14,070 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 237,192 photos, 8,801 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 556,114 photos, 32,161 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 94,018 photos, 4,641 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 20,227 photos, 415 members
- Landscapes in Black & White 46,111 photos, 3,223 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 103,740 photos, 4,269 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 108,715 photos, 3,457 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 930 photos, 69 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 3,346 photos, 182 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 98,928 photos, 7,298 members
- Moor/bog 2,280 photos, 151 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 3,600 photos, 113 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 49 members
- History is All Around Us 156,358 photos, 3,789 members
- Castle Hill 866 photos, 143 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 129,110 photos, 7,582 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 294,849 photos, 45,175 members
- British Outdoor Photographer's Gallery 9,048 photos, 233 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,906 photos, 163 members
- British Rock Art Collection 245 photos, 81 members
- Black and White Photographs 42,574 photos, 802 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,193 photos, 12,921 members
- UK snow – your pictures 517 photos, 264 members
- Countryfile 522,702 photos, 6,149 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 5,483 photos, 178 members
- Peak District Scenes 26,085 photos, 770 members
- British National Parks 50,189 photos, 1,431 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 446 photos, 75 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 2,097 photos, 65 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 89,388 photos, 10,078 members
- yorkshire based photographers 83,348 photos, 854 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography