I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- Deer me! 3,599 photos, 529 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 596,624 photos, 29,618 members
- Animal Planet 919,596 photos, 71,504 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 227,034 photos, 16,007 members
- CHURCHES 2 24,818 photos, 822 members
- SHEFFIELD RAMBLERS 12,960 photos, 696 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 143,021 photos, 10,693 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 601,784 photos, 41,513 members
- Today's Flickr 365,331 photos, 6,351 members
- The Capsule Of Timeless Photographs 514 photos, 285 members
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - Alternative Choice 5,541 photos, 188 members
- Barnsley Chronicle Photo Submission 241 photos, 44 members
- VisitEngland Images 617 photos, 150 members
- Butterflies 161,204 photos, 13,864 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 206,258 photos, 8,639 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 535,252 photos, 31,643 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 85,330 photos, 4,604 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 17,807 photos, 394 members
- Landscapes in Black & White 40,577 photos, 2,986 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 94,579 photos, 4,220 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 96,336 photos, 3,251 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 951 photos, 67 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 3,323 photos, 179 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 90,550 photos, 7,088 members
- Moor/bog 2,129 photos, 136 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 3,434 photos, 111 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 49 members
- History is All Around Us 145,983 photos, 3,627 members
- Castle Hill 853 photos, 139 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 125,649 photos, 7,515 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 289,340 photos, 44,203 members
- British Outdoor Photographer's Gallery 8,953 photos, 229 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,826 photos, 158 members
- British Rock Art Collection 243 photos, 76 members
- Black and White Photographs 38,803 photos, 762 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,343 photos, 12,983 members
- UK snow – your pictures 517 photos, 265 members
- Countryfile 484,623 photos, 5,839 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 5,082 photos, 169 members
- Peak District Scenes 25,957 photos, 729 members
- British National Parks 46,540 photos, 1,326 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 396 photos, 74 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 1,946 photos, 62 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 86,274 photos, 9,304 members
- yorkshire based photographers 79,088 photos, 821 members
- VisitEngland 9,518 photos, 500 members
- PLANET EARTH OUR HOME 568,433 photos, 12,077 members
- Land escapes 1,433 photos, 72 members
- Peak District National Trust 2,848 photos, 97 members
- Winter Wonderland 276,274 photos, 23,962 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography