I live near Barnsley in South Yorkshire but originate from Colne Valley in Huddersfield. I work as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Commercial Photographer. However, my true passion is Landscape and Nature Photography. I have been absorbed by the landscape around me and loved photography since quite an early age. I studied photography as part of my further education in my Art & Design Diploma and Fine Art Printmaking Degree.
I was raised on the Pennine Hills of Yorkshire and since childhood have been fascinated by it's rugged and sometimes harsh landscape. For me, landscape photography is all about being there - out on the hills and moors. Either wading through Peat Bogs being pelted by hail, or watching the most fiery of sunsets on a fine summers evening. Capturing the landscape that I love in all of it's conditions of weather, season and time of day.
I am very much interested in how landscapes have been formed and how they arrived at their present state. Not only through geology but by the various uses that the human race have imposed on it over the millennia. I often research the areas that I photograph taking in history, etymology and how the landscape has been mythologized by succeeding generations.
Although I use photoshop to process and enhance my images, I try to retain some realism in my photographs. I do not use HDR. This is not because I particularly have anything against it, I just haven't liked the results when ever I've tried it. I find that using layer masks gives me much more control over the final image.
My approach to Flickr is not as a standard portfolio, but more as a photo-diary of forays and ambient rambles out on the moors and hills. I will usually process and upload a number of images from each session, only the best of which would enter my portfolio.
I hope that you like my images. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated, even if sometimes I don't get around to returning the favor. I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to group admins for my absolute rubbishness at adding group tags to my images... sorry!
Copyright notice: Please be aware that all of my images are copyrighted © Andy Hemingway/AHG Photography. If you would like to use any of my images, please contact me first stating the intended use. I'm usually quite amenable, or reasonably priced for business/promotional uses. I take a very dim view of image theft and should I find out anyone has used any of my images without asking, I'll find out where you live, come round at 3am and wake you up to go out on a dawn photoshoot on the moors.
Photos of andy_AHG (1)
- SHEFFIELD RAMBLERS 7,181 photos, 622 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 135,179 photos, 10,496 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, Politics, and News 509,406 photos, 34,085 members
- Today's Flickr 164,508 photos, 4,047 members
- The Capsule Of Timeless Photographs 531 photos, 262 members
- Huddersfield, West Yorkshire - Alternative Choice 5,010 photos, 170 members
- Barnsley Chronicle Photo Submission 241 photos, 42 members
- VisitEngland Images 618 photos, 146 members
- Butterflies 149,692 photos, 13,516 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 194,829 photos, 8,230 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 435,040 photos, 28,559 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 62,558 photos, 4,425 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 10,088 photos, 343 members
- The Land in Black & White 26,925 photos, 2,277 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 75,830 photos, 4,062 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 69,171 photos, 2,840 members
- Peak National Park in black and white 805 photos, 41 members
- Marsden West Yorkshire 3,194 photos, 172 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 66,216 photos, 6,312 members
- Moor/bog 1,944 photos, 116 members
- Huddersfield Examiner 2,862 photos, 101 members
- Welcome to Yorkshire: Pennine Yorkshire 166 photos, 49 members
- History is All Around Us 123,337 photos, 3,238 members
- Castle Hill 844 photos, 133 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 115,357 photos, 7,293 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 274,488 photos, 41,474 members
- British Outdoor Photographer's Gallery 7,769 photos, 211 members
- Kinder Scout (England Peak District) 1,634 photos, 150 members
- British Rock Art Collection 233 photos, 74 members
- Black and White Photographs 29,277 photos, 595 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,579 photos, 13,113 members
- UK snow – your pictures 521 photos, 259 members
- Countryfile 382,990 photos, 5,130 members
- British Landscapes (no sunsets or black & white) 4,314 photos, 146 members
- Peak District Scenes 21,733 photos, 626 members
- British National Parks 38,734 photos, 1,112 members
- Padley Gorge & Longshaw Estate 294 photos, 61 members
- gritstone outcrops and edges 1,657 photos, 53 members
- Landscape Photography Magazine 66,387 photos, 8,662 members
- yorkshire based photographers 66,431 photos, 740 members
- VisitEngland 9,552 photos, 487 members
- PLANET EARTH OUR HOME 423,729 photos, 10,687 members
- Land escapes 1,263 photos, 69 members
- Peak District National Trust 2,015 photos, 70 members
- Winter Wonderland 259,261 photos, 23,151 members
- WorldLandscapes 314,680 photos, 10,486 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 701,116 photos, 16,392 members
- Peak District Activities 3,167 photos, 98 members
- Your Peak District Experience 13,128 photos, 324 members
- Your Yorkshire 151 photos, 32 members
andy_AHG doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Andy Hemingway
- January 2009
- Barnsley, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Graphic Designer/Photographer
- AHG Photography