I love black & white and sepia photos with a film noir mood. I also love photoethnography especially in Japan (and am slowly exploring other parts of Asia). I also am rediscovering Europe a bit.
I love photography as art, but sometimes I'm just snapping events for work. In either case, I welcome critical comments. I would love to try doing more portraits. I often take photos at night, either here in Honolulu when I bike around then. I love street photography, but somehow it seems more natural in Tokyo or New York.
If you are coming to Honolulu, be sure to check out Treehouse (camera life, film, processing, film camera swaps, and other events ...) treehouse-shop.com/ (Canon USA has an office a few blocks away, which also has exhibits and the like.)
You can also rent or buy gear in Kaimuki or Aiea
I like playing with cameras and manual lenses, but try to keep the obsession on a budget, so some of these cameras have been sold or died:
Digital SLR: Sony α7ii, Sony a300, Canon 10D (died & replaced), 50D, 5D 'Classic', Nikon D70
Other Digital Cameras: Samsung ST5 (died), Lumix DMC FZ7, Nikon Coolpix P310 (died),, FujiFilm X10, Sony NEX-5
35mm SLR: Nikomat FT, Pentax Spotmatic, Praktica Super TL, Topcon D-1, Exakta VXIIa
Medium Format: Rolleicord IV, YashicaMat, Mamiya M645j (sold), and some folding cameras
Rangefinders: Leica IIIc/f, M6, Nikon S2, Yashica Electro 35, Voigtländer Bessa-L
35 mm Toy TLR: Gakkenflex
Viewfinders: Polaroid Sun600, SX-70
For Getting Wet: Canon WP-1
Pinhole: RT's Super "Film Can Cam"
Bookends: Zeiss-Ikon Box-Tengor 56/2; Zeiss-Ikon Volta
Intellectual Property / Using Images
I have many types of images on this stream from group snapshots to art and documentary photos.
Most of my images used to be available for Non Profit organizations under the Creative Commons agreement if you agree to the terms of Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike. Please note the terms on each image. Please credit "Photo: Drew Wertheimer." However I got very tired of my images being poached and re-posted without agreement of these terms. I have since changed all images to (c).
If you want to use the image for educational / non-profit use please e-mail me. Please give me the URL and title of the image and what you want to use it for. Thank you.
If you want to use my image for Commercial use, please secure the rights from me. I've had images used by the New Yorker, Oregon Public Radio, and a number of non-profit and a number of educational organizations, especially various parts of the University of Hawaii System.
If I posted a photo of you (and only you), please feel free to use it for whatever you like. Feel free to credit "Photo: Drew Wertheimer" but don't feel obliged. One reason I post photos is to make it easy for you to download your image. To download click on the magnifying glass icon, then click on "View all sizes" then you should see "Download the Large [or whatever size you select] size of this photo." It should then be available on your download folder.
By the way, please don't post blinking things or "awards" or very large images on my photo stream. Thank you for understanding.
Please don't feel bad if I blocked you. If you don't have any / many photos, and especially if you have thousands of FAVORITES I am likely to block you. I have had several people do this in order to re-post on another site without permission or even attribution. That is very frustrating. (I also weeded a few people who no longer seem to be on flickr. Sigh.)
I don't want people using my images on another page without permission, and these accounts seem to often be trolling such images.
- Leica R Users 15,443 photos, 1,052 members
- ぼんやり夜景の会 / hazy night view group 1,267 photos, 28 members
- Lomography x Zenit Petzval Lens 3,726 photos, 772 members
- Vintage lenses on DSLR(including mirrorless cameras) 21,741 photos, 654 members
- Lomography Neptune Convertible Art Lens System 202 photos, 11 members
- Camera Repairs 2,307 photos, 735 members
- photopicturephotographynow *READ DESCRIPTION!* 6,475 photos, 565 members
- Books . Papers* . Readers . Libraries 797 photos, 118 members
- SONY Alpha A7, A7r, A7S, A7 II & A7r II 246,402 photos, 7,055 members
- Sony A7 Mark II (A7II) 80,444 photos, 4,982 members
- Sony a7 Black and White 17,226 photos, 1,120 members
- 街の断片・記憶 / street fragment・storage <No people> 52,443 photos, 578 members
- Cosina Cameras & Lenses 17,128 photos, 751 members
- Flickr Camera Museum 39,675 photos, 2,109 members
- shinjuku 12,378 photos, 551 members
- archives & archivists on flickr 8,139 photos, 353 members
- Film Photography Podcast 373,510 photos, 10,710 members
- OBIRIN University 73 photos, 17 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 76,321 photos, 4,179 members
- Canon EOS 10D 32,051 photos, 1,254 members
- Like a stray dog 17,313 photos, 710 members
- JapanCameraHunter 23,107 photos, 750 members
- ! **Nyanko Jikan / Cat Time / にゃんこ時間 1,250 photos, 121 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 1,353,901 photos, 64,331 members
- I am a Pen Addict 3,197 photos, 759 members
- SONY α NEX with Old Lens 59,110 photos, 1,728 members
- Fountain Pens 8,940 photos, 1,589 members
- Book Love 8,910 photos, 1,399 members
- Takumar lenses - m42 film cameras only 39,057 photos, 3,236 members
- Legacy Glass 32,419 photos, 679 members
- RICOH GR Digital III (GRD3) 72,143 photos, 3,420 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 236,431 photos, 9,893 members
- Bookstore(s) 2,767 photos, 493 members
- vintage watches 319 photos, 46 members
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Hamilton Library 224 photos, 6 members
- Peoplereading 6,607 photos, 1,480 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 6,592 photos, 240 members
- GREAT PANOS 69,578 photos, 3,718 members
- CANONET mon amour 27,569 photos, 9,830 members
- Preservation Week 2013 7 photos, 4 members
- EPSON R-D1 32,319 photos, 1,010 members
- Art in Black and White 476,058 photos, 16,348 members
- Preservation Week 2012 2 photos, 2 members
- Historic Camera 16,192 photos, 402 members
- Nikon Rangefinder Porn... 803 photos, 170 members
- Nikon Rangefinder 8,981 photos, 391 members
- Flektogon 2,358 photos, 281 members
- Boats 392,721 photos, 28,071 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 448,533 photos, 31,344 members
- Street Photography 3,303 photos, 45,124 members
- To follow up on later (links or books)... 4 photos
- From Ranganathan's Five Laws of Librarianship: (Every reader his / her book. Every book its reader.) 14 photos
- I usually prefer to be behind the camera, but... like these 8 photos
- Tokyo Film World (places I want to take my class) 8 photos
- Kyoto Kissa (Reminde of Kyoto Kissaten I want to visit) 15 photos
- Places I am dreaming of visiting 40 photos
- Bookstores are agents of civilization 15 photos
- I want to cook this 9 photos
- Katzen: Cats: Chat: Neko 15 photos
- More readers 32 photos
- Snapping Reading 33 photos
- Romance of Trams 15 photos
- Cameras I dream of... 15 photos
- LIS and Hamilton Library 6 photos
Keith Midson says:
"Andrew is one of my favourite photographers on Flickr. He has such an amazing way of photographing the ordinary scene and making it more interesting that I can imagine. His use and experimentation of older camera gear is inspirational for me."
February 5th, 2018
"What a pleasure it is to meet this smart, funny chap with a great eye for photography! Looking forward to perusing your photos more..."
November 20th, 2009
"A special day in my life, for meeting Drew.
A few more steps to the path of my future have been added because of this. A great inspiration from Drew and his photography."
October 24th, 2009
"From his photos I can see that he loves his hometown. I enjoy how he politely records Honolulu scenes. I am thankful he is on flickr."
October 10th, 2009
- Andrew Wertheimer
- July 2008
- I am: