Sometimes I aim for art, sometimes I am trying to snap events for people. I enjoy critical comments so I can improve my photography skills. I would love to try doing more portraits. I usually simply take photos of scenes at night. I love street photography, but somehow it seems more natural in Tokyo or New York, rather than Honolulu. We don't have the same urban feel.
I love black & white and sepia photos that remind me of film noir. I also love photoethnography especially in Japan (and recently began exploring other parts of Asia). I also am rediscovering Europe a bit.
If you are coming to Honolulu, check out or flickr group. We meet about every month, even if I am often unable to attend. These days (=2015), I don't think the flickr group is so active, and I am busy most Fridays, but there are a few photo groups in Honolulu which meet often. Check them out at www.meetup.com/
If you like film life in Honolulu, be sure to check out Treehouse (camera life, film, processing, film camera swaps, and other events ...) treehouse-shop.com/ (Canon USA has an office almost next door, which also has exhibits and the like.)
I like playing with cameras and manual lenses, but try to keep the obsession on a budget, so some of these cameras have been sold or died:
Digital SLR: Sony a300, Canon 10D (died & replaced), 50D, 5D 'Classic', Nikon D70
Other Digital Cameras: Samsung ST5 (died), Lumix DMC FZ7, Nikon Coolpix P310 (died),, FujiFilm X10, Sony NEX-5
35mm SLR: Nikomat FT, Pentax Spotmatic, Praktica Super TL, Topcon D-1, Exakta VXIIa
Medium Format: Rolleicord IV, YashicaMat, Mamiya M645j (sold), and some folding cameras
Rangefinders: Leica IIIc/f, M6, Nikon S2, Yashica Electro 35, Voigtländer Bessa-L
35 mm Toy TLR: Gakkenflex
Viewfinders: Polaroid Sun600, SX-70
For Getting Wet: Canon WP-1
Pinhole: RT's Super "Film Can Cam"
Bookends: Zeiss-Ikon Box-Tengor 56/2; Zeiss-Ikon Volta
Intellectual Property / Using Images
I have many types of images on this stream from group snapshots to art and documentary photos.
Most of my images used to be available for Non Profit organizations under the Creative Commons agreement if you agree to the terms of Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike. Please note the terms on each image. Please credit "Photo: Drew Wertheimer." However I got very tired of my images being poached and re-posted without agreement of these terms. I have since changed all images to (c).
If you want to use the image for educational / non-profit use please e-mail me. Please give me the URL and title of the image and what you want to use it for. Thank you.
If you want to use my image for Commercial use, please secure the rights from me. I've had images used by the New Yorker, Oregon Public Radio, and a number of non-profit and a number of educational organizations, especially various parts of the University of Hawaii System.
If I posted a photo of you (and only you), please feel free to use it for whatever you like. Feel free to credit "Photo: Drew Wertheimer" but don't feel obliged. One reason I post photos is to make it easy for you to download your image. To download click on the magnifying glass icon, then click on "View all sizes" then you should see "Download the Large [or whatever size you select] size of this photo." It should then be available on your download folder.
By the way, please don't post blinking things or "awards" or very large images on my photo stream. Thank you for understanding.
Please don't feel bad if I blocked you. If you don't have any / many photos, and especially if you have thousands of FAVORITES I am likely to block you. I have had several people do this in order to re-post on another site without permission or even attribution. That is very frustrating. (I also weeded a few people who no longer seem to be on flickr. Sigh.)
I don't want people using my images on another page without permission, and these accounts seem to often be trolling such images.
- Honolulu WWPW 2015 1 photo, 3 members
- OBIRIN University 55 photos, 17 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 68,010 photos, 3,743 members
- Canon EOS 10D 31,538 photos, 1,226 members
- Like a stray dog 11,249 photos, 470 members
- JapanCameraHunter 10,053 photos, 621 members
- ! **Nyanko Jikan / Cat Time / にゃんこ時間 1,071 photos, 92 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 1,202,449 photos, 57,383 members
- I am a Pen Addict 2,895 photos, 717 members
- SONY α NEX with Old Lens 39,015 photos, 1,459 members
- Fountain Pens 7,372 photos, 1,416 members
- Book Love 5,604 photos, 1,002 members
- Takumar! 36,220 photos, 2,814 members
- Legacy Glass 12,093 photos, 343 members
- RICOH GR Digital III (GRD3) 71,272 photos, 3,209 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 202,370 photos, 9,107 members
- Bookstore(s) 2,455 photos, 455 members
- vintage watches 193 photos, 30 members
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Hamilton Library 103 photos, 6 members
- People reading (Comment 1) 6,060 photos, 1,404 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,265 photos, 184 members
- GREAT PANOS 31,163 photos, 3,275 members
- CANONET mon amour 24,535 photos, 7,286 members
- Preservation Week 2013 7 photos, 4 members
- EPSON R-D1 28,431 photos, 930 members
- Art in Black and White 292,857 photos, 13,453 members
- Preservation Week 2012 2 photos, 2 members
- Historic Camera 8,919 photos, 280 members
- Nikon Rangefinder Porn... 466 photos, 136 members
- Nikon Rangefinder 7,781 photos, 324 members
- Flektogon 975 photos, 143 members
- Boats 316,670 photos, 25,129 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 283,300 photos, 20,702 members
- Street Photography 2,912 photos, 40,082 members
- planes, trains and automobiles 227,907 photos, 5,239 members
- Aircraft Spotting 872,990 photos, 8,240 members
- Airplanes 584,107 photos, 9,989 members
- Airplanes and Airports 636,753 photos, 10,923 members
- Helios-44-2 18,485 photos, 2,515 members
- flickr global ceramic collaboration 2,184 photos, 108 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 369,662 photos, 13,536 members
- Olympus OM G.Zuiko 50mm f1.4 3,941 photos, 327 members
- AT HOME WITH BOOKS 2,150 photos, 253 members
- Hawaii Street Photography 963 photos, 169 members
- UHM LIS 336 photos, 19 members
- Leica M Users 336,270 photos, 7,791 members
- Leica M photography 240,867 photos, 7,789 members
- M6 & MP LEICA 86,340 photos, 3,917 members
- MONOCHROME JAPAN 618 photos, 482 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 46,635 photos, 1,462 members
"What a pleasure it is to meet this smart, funny chap with a great eye for photography! Looking forward to perusing your photos more..."
November 20th, 2009
"A special day in my life, for meeting Drew.
A few more steps to the path of my future have been added because of this. A great inspiration from Drew and his photography."
October 24th, 2009
"From his photos I can see that he loves his hometown. I enjoy how he politely records Honolulu scenes. I am thankful he is on flickr."
October 10th, 2009
- Andrew Wertheimer
- July 2008
- I am: