My Flickr stream has evolved as I have as a photographer. I'm currently trying to make a serious attempt at becoming a credible street photographer. As a result, I've decided to pare back considerably my stream here, so that it represents if not all the very best work I've done - I'm keeping some project stuff to one side, as well as some images around which trying to construct a worthwhile portfolio with a view to exhibiting - at least a representative selection of pictures which I believe have some value.
Some say I'm a harsh critic of myself, but I believe that over time it becomes clear whether a picture works or not, and when I come to the realisation that an image doesn't work, I delete it. So don't be surprised if photographs disappear from time to time. I'm also less and less tolerant of the typical street photography tropes and clichés - to be honest, I find a lot of what is posted on Flickr and elsewhere under the heading of street photography incredibly dull. But I'm human, and I know that I'm frequently tempted by those clichés too. I'm trying to eliminate them from my stream, unless I genuinely believe that the examples I've posted have something special about them.
Ultimately, my aim is to take pictures which represent genuinely unique moments - ones where, if I had not been in the right place at the right time, the moment would have been lost for ever.
Shots posted here have been taken with a variety of cameras : early ones with an Olympus, a Lumix Panasonic DMC-FX100 or a Leica D-LUX 4; later ones with a Leica M9 (which, to my eternal chagrin, I managed to lose) and my current weapon of choice, a Fujifilm X100T. I have never been technically inclined - to me, it's always been always about the image - and I didn't really leaner anything about processing until around 2012. For most of the early photographs posted here, I don't even have the original JPG, let alone a RAW file, so sometimes the image quality is far from optimal.
What else is worth knowing about me ?
Well, at heart I'm a writer, so don't be surprised if sometimes there are essays or stories beneath my photographs. I don't always have the confidence to allow my images to speak for themselves, though I'm getting better.
I'm not the kind of person who's going to fave a hundred pictures a day. If I've faved one of your pictures, it's because I've totally fallen in love with it.
Which leads me on to one last thing : I read on another contact's profile something along the lines of "And check out my Favourites - that's where the best stuff is to be found." I can't claim to have seen more than a tiny percentage of what's on Flickr, but I can say that I've been blown away by some of what I've seen. If you want to discover something new and magical - check out my Favourites. And if that seems like a daunting prospect, why not start with one of my galleries :
Hidden Treasures : a selection of some of my very favourite photographs that deserve a wider audience.
Photos of an untrained eye (5)
- The Candid Frame 132,883 photos, 3,399 members
- CrowdMedia Photo Publishing Contest 60 photos, 173 members
- www.street-photographers.com 243 photos, 4,540 members
- Guardian Art and design 180 photos, 114 members
- Fotothoughts 3,478 photos, 695 members
- London Streets 139,467 photos, 12,393 members
- Candid Street Portraiture 14,790 photos, 2,719 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,130 photos, 473 members
- Banc Public Bench 15,842 photos, 2,098 members
- Leica M photography 363,137 photos, 10,893 members
- amsterdam street photography 2,018 photos, 135 members
- Denmark street photography 2,082 photos, 449 members
- Vespa 22,753 photos, 5,389 members
- Lisboa 117,027 photos, 6,899 members
- Barbican Centre 4,320 photos, 475 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,215 members
- Image Gallery... B&W and Color !!! 570,172 photos, 7,861 members
- TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK 4,311 photos, 3,404 members
- Mossless 10,103 photos, 3,542 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 14,727 photos, 18,059 members
- 6000 views + 240 faves 4,802 photos, 444 members
- Leica D-LUX 4 32,868 photos, 1,514 members
- New York City People 26,217 photos, 854 members
- Croci di montagna / Cruces de montaña / Crosses of mountain 919 photos, 196 members
- theMoMAproject [NYC] 33,153 photos, 4,506 members
- *GreatPixGallery 300 Faves+ 10,609 photos, 815 members
- Favorites: 300 15,734 photos, 1,719 members
- Timing! 1,528 photos, 603 members
- 'Views: 20,000+ 6,239 photos, 844 members
- Free Hugs!! xo 182 photos, 94 members
- 7th Wave 696 photos, 95 members
- Favorites: 250 9,653 photos, 1,947 members
- 'Views: 15,000 - 20,000 5,023 photos, 742 members
- flickr@lausanne 34,915 photos, 748 members
- Lausanne 14,137 photos, 987 members
- Realidad Ficticia-Fictitious Reality-15th Exhibition" group 0 photos, 656 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,438 photos, 956 members
- Favorites: 175 9,374 photos, 2,207 members
- Favorites: 200 21,902 photos, 3,918 members
- Brussels 82,544 photos, 3,335 members
- Streets of the European Union 2,332 photos, 178 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 255 photos, 4,775 members
- Streets in Colo(u)r 7,662 photos, 5,672 members
- Photographie au carré 52,748 photos, 1,131 members
- Achromatic Vision 3,037 photos, 121 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,088,382 photos, 130,279 members
- Siberian Husky 19,165 photos, 2,165 members
- 'Views: 10,000 - 15,000 10,910 photos, 1,054 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,156 photos, 1,278 members
- Fight Club - Politics & Society (project mayhem) 23,939 photos, 1,836 members
"Although he calls himself "untrained" i see lots of experiences in his photos. Traces of life, natural scenes. But witty and powerful. I'm always glad to meet with him when i visit his photostream. Thanks for inspiration."
April 4th, 2008
- Tom Waterhouse
- February 2007
- Geneva, Switzerland
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Trying to make sense of it all