My Flickr stream has evolved as I have as a photographer. I'm currently trying to make a serious attempt at becoming a credible street photographer. As a result, I've decided to pare back considerably my stream here, so that it represents if not all the very best work I've done - I'm keeping some project stuff to one side, as well as some images around which trying to construct a worthwhile portfolio with a view to exhibiting - at least a representative selection of pictures which I believe have some value.
Some say I'm a harsh critic of myself, but I believe that over time it becomes clear whether a picture works or not, and when I come to the realisation that an image doesn't work, I delete it. So don't be surprised if photographs disappear from time to time. I'm also less and less tolerant of the typical street photography tropes and clichés - to be honest, I find a lot of what is posted on Flickr and elsewhere under the heading of street photography incredibly dull. But I'm human, and I know that I'm frequently tempted by those clichés too. I'm trying to eliminate them from my stream, unless I genuinely believe that the examples I've posted have something special about them.
Ultimately, my aim is to take pictures which represent genuinely unique moments - ones where, if I had not been in the right place at the right time, the moment would have been lost for ever.
Shots posted here have been taken with a variety of cameras : early ones with an Olympus, a Lumix Panasonic DMC-FX100 or a Leica D-LUX 4; later ones with a Leica M9 (which, to my eternal chagrin, I managed to lose) and my current weapon of choice, a Fujifilm X100T. I have never been technically inclined - to me, it's always been always about the image - and I didn't really leaner anything about processing until around 2012. For most of the early photographs posted here, I don't even have the original JPG, let alone a RAW file, so sometimes the image quality is far from optimal.
What else is worth knowing about me ?
Well, at heart I'm a writer, so don't be surprised if sometimes there are essays or stories beneath my photographs. I don't always have the confidence to allow my images to speak for themselves, though I'm getting better.
I'm not the kind of person who's going to fave a hundred pictures a day. If I've faved one of your pictures, it's because I've totally fallen in love with it.
Which leads me on to one last thing : I read on another contact's profile something along the lines of "And check out my Favourites - that's where the best stuff is to be found." I can't claim to have seen more than a tiny percentage of what's on Flickr, but I can say that I've been blown away by some of what I've seen. If you want to discover something new and magical - check out my Favourites. And if that seems like a daunting prospect, why not start with one of my galleries :
Hidden Treasures : a selection of some of my very favourite photographs that deserve a wider audience.
Photos of an untrained eye (5)
- The Candid Frame 62,693 photos, 2,127 members
- CrowdMedia Photo Publishing Contest 66 photos, 176 members
- www.street-photographers.com 262 photos, 4,615 members
- Guardian Art and design 215 photos, 118 members
- Fotothoughts 3,592 photos, 690 members
- London Streets 91,984 photos, 9,102 members
- Candid Street Portraiture 10,089 photos, 2,614 members
- British Street Photography (BSP) 1,224 photos, 466 members
- Banc Public Bench 13,976 photos, 2,091 members
- Leica M photography 259,568 photos, 8,255 members
- amsterdam street photography 1,002 photos, 92 members
- Denmark street photography 1,612 photos, 370 members
- Vespa 21,337 photos, 5,213 members
- Lisboa 98,110 photos, 6,078 members
- Barbican Centre 3,813 photos, 450 members
- New Photo Page Preview 0 photos, 3,336 members
- Image Gallery !!! 376,842 photos, 6,565 members
- TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK 4,618 photos, 3,491 members
- Mossless 10,812 photos, 3,680 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 15,094 photos, 18,598 members
- 6000 views + 240 faves 1,811 photos, 276 members
- Leica D-LUX 4 32,504 photos, 1,545 members
- New York City People 22,526 photos, 811 members
- Croci di montagna / Cruces de montaña / Crosses of mountain 773 photos, 201 members
- theMoMAproject [NYC] 33,006 photos, 4,601 members
- *GreatPixGallery 300 Faves+ 4,744 photos, 584 members
- Favorites: 300 4,724 photos, 933 members
- Timing! 1,582 photos, 610 members
- 'Views: 20,000+ 1,864 photos, 597 members
- Free Hugs!! xo 186 photos, 95 members
- 7th Wave 782 photos, 99 members
- Favorites: 250 4,353 photos, 1,093 members
- 'Views: 15,000 - 20,000 1,307 photos, 522 members
- flickr@lausanne 31,858 photos, 701 members
- Lausanne 12,290 photos, 890 members
- Realidad Ficticia-Fictitious Reality-15th Exhibition" group 0 photos, 664 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,441 photos, 733 members
- Favorites: 175 4,089 photos, 1,223 members
- Favorites: 200 10,580 photos, 2,492 members
- Brussels 72,589 photos, 3,144 members
- Streets of the European Union 1,765 photos, 173 members
- London Street Photography (LSP) 241 photos, 4,065 members
- Streets in Colo(u)r 7,874 photos, 4,336 members
- Photographie au carré 45,485 photos, 1,062 members
- Achromatic Vision 2,839 photos, 98 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 998,699 photos, 127,209 members
- Siberian Husky 19,118 photos, 2,098 members
- 'Views: 10,000 - 15,000 4,284 photos, 753 members
- 2008 Presidential Election 10,342 photos, 1,293 members
- Fight Club - Politics & Society (project mayhem) 21,107 photos, 1,748 members
"Although he calls himself "untrained" i see lots of experiences in his photos. Traces of life, natural scenes. But witty and powerful. I'm always glad to meet with him when i visit his photostream. Thanks for inspiration."
April 4th, 2008
- Tom Waterhouse
- February 2007
- Geneva, Switzerland
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Trying to make sense of it all