A bit about amythyst_lake. I currently live in Boston, Massachusetts, but I grew up in England. I also spent many years in Canada and as a tribute I took my online name from the Amethyst Lakes in the Tonquin Valley, Jasper National Park. I changed the spelling for fun.
I began photography many years ago because I liked to draw and paint and it seemed like a natural extension. I had an Olympus OM10 and I took it everywhere. (I still have it.) But after a while, carrying a camera and lenses became a bit of a burden; friends aren’t always amused if you throw yourself to the ground “just to get the shot”, or particularly patient when you want to change the lens. But worse, I gradually began to feel that I was experiencing the world through a lens instead of with my eyes. So I stopped. Several years passed. Then in June 2006 I bought a small (light!) Canon digital point and shoot (A540) and slowly but surely, for better or worse, it all began again. Photography is my passion!
I’m sure everybody reading this knows that cameras and water don’t mix, so they don’t take their pride-and-joys on canoe trips. But I did, and my little Canon ended up in the Namekagon River in Wisconsin. Since July I’ve had a Nikon D80 (big and heavy). I know better than to take the D80 in a canoe (small sailboats and sea kayaks don’t count) but I do walk all over Boston with it.
I love to take pictures of nature and pictures that show the passage of time: the seasons, the weathering of wood, rust, flowers and seeds. I like to go out in the rain and I love walking on the beach. Any beach. I am continually torn between the documentary and the artistic sides of photography. They are both worthwhile approaches, but on the whole I am trying to make my photos more poetic. The very best pictures (not those taken by me) are probably a combination of the two.
Flickr has been great, I’ve learned so much from looking at the work of the many talented photographers here. Thank you all for sharing! I’ve progressed more as a photographer in during my time here than in all of the years that I’ve held a camera.
One more thing - I purposefully keep my contact list at a manageable level. So if you add me as a contact, please don't be offended if I don't reciprocate. It is not a reflection of your work - I have set my account so I don't even know when this happens. Equally, if I add you as a contact, I have no expectations from you.
Thank you for visiting.
Amythyst/Jill October 2007 (updated August 2012).
A note: if you represent a business, please don't ask me if you can use my photos for free. I'm not here to help you advertize your product. If you want to license a picture, or if you have a non-commercial/non-profit use in mind just send me a request via Flickrmail.
One more note: While I appreciate the sentiment, I generally decline invitations to Post 1 Comment x groups. I don't have the patience to do them justice. Thank you.
- Your Best Shot 2015 24,624 photos, 42,542 members
- Project Weather 634,659 photos, 94,015 members
- Flickr Friday 34,581 photos, 40,227 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,729 photos, 6,240 members
- The Milkweed Zoo 841 photos, 127 members
- Photographic Society of Parker River National Wildlife Refuge 743 photos, 90 members
- Guardian Green shoots 41,672 photos, 1,546 members
- Been there photos 16,934 photos, 531 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 404,816 photos, 104,586 members
- Belle Isle Marsh 85 photos, 13 members
- Feathery Friday! 40,149 photos, 2,025 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - See recent discussions! 46,448 photos, 4,322 members
- LIGHTHOUSE LOVERS 151,405 photos, 22,400 members
- Spotlight Seven 280 photos, 881 members
- Technique 195 photos, 16,084 members
- B Square 347,215 photos, 10,072 members
- 50mm (The original 50mm group) 1,348,416 photos, 63,865 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,008 photos, 12,725 members
- Artistic Shot 211,532 photos, 5,440 members
- Birds , Birds Birds 1,369,355 photos, 35,555 members
- Artistic Photography 4,801,315 photos, 132,992 members
- Textures for Layers 15,190 photos, 16,463 members
- Ministract 38,228 photos, 1,122 members
- Winged Water Wonders (Post 1 - Comment 1) 86,122 photos, 3,888 members
- The 4 Elements © 30,807 photos, 3,852 members
- " Art of the Light " ☆☆☆☆☆ 120,404 photos, 12,399 members
- REVERE BEACH 2,197 photos, 79 members
- Cambridgeshire 23,929 photos, 843 members
- Neponset River Watershed 4,173 photos, 117 members
- Light STREAM___ 133,600 photos, 16,173 members
- Nikon D80 Challenge - **Group Closed** 1,446 photos, 1,003 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 61,044 photos, 5,950 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 208,786 photos, 15,462 members
- *Nature* - Outpost (ADMIN INVITE ONLY) 7,726 photos, 1,604 members
- For the love of ducks & geese 53,127 photos, 5,815 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 2,062,326 photos, 88,145 members
- Geometry in architecture 99,981 photos, 4,533 members
- 1-2-3 Abstract Architecture - P/1 Comment 2 45,725 photos, 5,044 members
- Moth Gallery - P1 C1 please 56,369 photos, 3,078 members
- Bostonist 34,552 photos, 836 members
- Real Belize 2,115 photos, 278 members
- Belize 13,047 photos, 771 members
- Canon PowerShot G9 63,380 photos, 3,900 members
- Boston, MA 63,277 photos, 3,447 members
- *Nature* (2 Comments/Photo W/Code) 417,080 photos, 25,914 members
- Butterflies' Elegance (invite only)...Please comment. 15,580 photos, 3,454 members
- Butterfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 171,833 photos, 17,675 members
- My Favorite Butterfly Shot 437 photos, 515 members
- Sailboats and sailing 63,989 photos, 7,125 members
- Geometric Beauty 210,662 photos, 11,930 members
Ken Yuel Photography says:
"This is one testimonial I should have written some time ago, you see Jill has been a good friend of mine since my arrival on Flickr in 2007.
Jill is one fantastic photographer, that is so evident when you look at here images. Jill's diversity in what she presents is what amazes me, always with a professional approach and with a sense of what the viewer will like but from a vantage point untold.
Another thing about Jill that I appreciate so much is her ability to write. Her descriptions are always informative and appropriate and her sense of humor is above all a quality to behold, right up there with her exceptional use of the lens.
So, do take the time to view Jill's work, I know it will put a smile on your face, it has mine more times than I can count......
Thank you Jill for being you and the friend you are!!"
November 15th, 2009
"Jill's photostream is full of many delights - the calming beauty of nature, the visual stimulation of abstract patterns of all types, the play of light and shadow, the surprise of often-overlooked corners elevated to places of wonder, playfulness and poetry...all infused with a sense of a warm and creative person behind the lens. Recommended viewing!"
March 8th, 2009
"You have a very nice photostream. I always enjoy looking at your stuff. You really have an eye for a great photo and good composition. You are very talented and a very nice person, what a nice combination! :-)"
October 21st, 2008
- April 2007
- Wisconsin, United States
- I am:
- Female and Taken