(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 35 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and a few other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Bury, Lancashire 6,389 photos, 234 members
- Borough Market 6,363 photos, 788 members
- Southwark 15,402 photos, 896 members
- Green cabinets 153 photos, 32 members
- Store Snapshots - Sneakily Photographing Commerce 3,660 photos, 128 members
- BELOWGROUND RAILWAYS 2,457 photos, 337 members
- Around the Geffrye's rooms and gardens 483 photos, 56 members
- Information about Haringey Development Vehicle 61 photos, 3 members
- IWM Through Your Eyes 687 photos, 70 members
- Stop social cleansing 73 photos, 6 members
- Architect - Matcham, Frank 360 photos, 43 members
- Randomness Guide to London 15,774 photos, 119 members
- Benches and Seats 17,658 photos, 1,405 members
- Benches 12,401 photos, 1,411 members
- Blue Plaques 12,094 photos, 247 members
- Inside The British Museum 3,163 photos, 378 members
- Urban trees 33,326 photos, 850 members
- Crouch End 145 photos, 16 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 162 photos, 28 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,915 photos, 155 members
- Craster, Northumberland 252 photos, 56 members
- Holy Island 3,778 photos, 477 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 6,072 photos, 313 members
- illustrated maps 1,645 photos, 344 members
- illustration maps 1,447 photos, 247 members
- Low POV 27,773 photos, 3,567 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 2,162 photos, 205 members
- Lee On Solent 805 photos, 96 members
- Bin Down That Road 375 photos, 25 members
- Libraries UK 2,410 photos, 183 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 867 photos, 184 members
- The Brunswick Centre 110 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,499 photos, 211 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 28,695 photos, 1,204 members
- Bleak Britain 4,037 photos, 260 members
- Plaques 10,471 photos, 381 members
- Parkside Malvern 43 photos, 7 members
- Georgian Architecture 8,290 photos, 376 members
- Regent's Park 4,412 photos, 299 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 51,651 photos, 140 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 26,497 photos, 573 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 10,561 photos, 124 members
- Inns of court, London 421 photos, 64 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 134 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 410 photos, 81 members
- Brussels Street Art 16,217 photos, 640 members
- Brick Lane 8,776 photos, 853 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,174 photos, 58 members
- PARKS GARDENS AND WOODS 91,315 photos, 2,634 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- St Pauls on Snowday London 8 photos
- Sporty Snowday London 2 photos
- Improvised Bins 2 photos
- Snow Rose 7 photos
- Snowffiti 1 photo
- Snow Silhouette 2 photos
- Snowy London Pubs 17 photos
- Snow Symmetry 8 photos
- Snow movie 1 video
- Snow topped statues 13 photos
- Slush London 7 photos
- Snowcouples in Snowday London 5 photos
- Icicles on Snowday London 13 photos
- Gold & Silver on Snowday London 14 photos
- Snownight London 17 photos
- Pools on Snowday London 9 photos
- Snowcrowds on Snowday London 12 photos
- Melting Colours in Snowday London 17 photos
- Snowball in Snowday London 7 photos
- Snowbikes in Snowday London 12 photos
- Snowlines on Snowday London 6 photos
- Snowpath in Snowday London 14 photos
- Snowcarpet from Snowday London 11 photos
- Flurry in Snowday London 3 photos
- Rooftops on Snowday London 7 photos
- Invisible Snowday London 15 photos
- Impressionist Snowday London 6 photos
- Snowprints in Snowday London 12 photos
- Snowflowers on Snowday London 15 photos
- Cold seat in Snowday London 17 photos
- Window to Snowday London 17 photos
- Lattice on Snowday London 14 photos
- Minimalist Snowday London 15 photos
- Mysterious Snowday London 14 photos
- Snow People from Snowday London 13 photos
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken