(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 35 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the elected borough councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera as a tool to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and a few other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Britain's Postal Heritage 2,399 photos, 290 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 193,555 photos, 6,081 members
- Bury, Lancashire 6,470 photos, 235 members
- Borough Market 6,550 photos, 781 members
- Southwark 15,628 photos, 897 members
- Green cabinets 154 photos, 32 members
- Store Snapshots - Sneakily Photographing Commerce 4,056 photos, 133 members
- BELOWGROUND RAILWAYS 2,201 photos, 332 members
- Around the Geffrye's rooms and gardens 475 photos, 55 members
- Information about Haringey Development Vehicle 65 photos, 3 members
- IWM Through Your Eyes 679 photos, 68 members
- Stop social cleansing 80 photos, 7 members
- Architect - Matcham, Frank 429 photos, 44 members
- Randomness Guide to London 16,083 photos, 118 members
- Benches and Seats 17,808 photos, 1,419 members
- Benches 12,739 photos, 1,413 members
- Blue Plaques 12,613 photos, 243 members
- Inside The British Museum 3,233 photos, 375 members
- Urban trees 33,665 photos, 846 members
- Crouch End 145 photos, 16 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 169 photos, 28 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,891 photos, 154 members
- Craster, Northumberland 248 photos, 57 members
- Holy Island 3,820 photos, 484 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,790 photos, 313 members
- illustrated maps 1,283 photos, 346 members
- illustration maps 1,234 photos, 251 members
- Low POV 27,961 photos, 3,536 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 2,206 photos, 206 members
- Lee On Solent 920 photos, 96 members
- Bin Down That Road 393 photos, 27 members
- Libraries UK 2,452 photos, 184 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 866 photos, 186 members
- The Brunswick Centre 110 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,467 photos, 210 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 29,278 photos, 1,217 members
- Bleak Britain 4,289 photos, 266 members
- Plaques 10,848 photos, 383 members
- Parkside Malvern 43 photos, 7 members
- Georgian Architecture 8,548 photos, 383 members
- Regent's Park 4,407 photos, 299 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 55,437 photos, 145 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 26,833 photos, 581 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 10,975 photos, 125 members
- Inns of court, London 412 photos, 63 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 133 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 390 photos, 80 members
- Brussels Street Art 16,931 photos, 635 members
- Brick Lane 8,773 photos, 852 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,176 photos, 59 members
- St Pauls on Snowday London 8 photos
- Sporty Snowday London 2 photos
- Improvised Bins 2 photos
- Snow Rose 7 photos
- Snowffiti 1 photo
- Snow Silhouette 2 photos
- Snowy London Pubs 17 photos
- Snow Symmetry 8 photos
- Snow movie 1 video
- Snow topped statues 13 photos
- Slush London 7 photos
- Snowcouples in Snowday London 5 photos
- Icicles on Snowday London 13 photos
- Gold & Silver on Snowday London 14 photos
- Snownight London 16 photos
- Pools on Snowday London 8 photos
- Snowcrowds on Snowday London 11 photos
- Melting Colours in Snowday London 17 photos
- Snowball in Snowday London 7 photos
- Snowbikes in Snowday London 12 photos
- Snowlines on Snowday London 6 photos
- Snowpath in Snowday London 13 photos
- Snowcarpet from Snowday London 11 photos
- Flurry in Snowday London 3 photos
- Rooftops on Snowday London 7 photos
- Invisible Snowday London 15 photos
- Impressionist Snowday London 6 photos
- Snowprints in Snowday London 12 photos
- Snowflowers on Snowday London 14 photos
- Cold seat in Snowday London 17 photos
- Window to Snowday London 17 photos
- Lattice on Snowday London 14 photos
- Minimalist Snowday London 15 photos
- Mysterious Snowday London 14 photos
- Snow People from Snowday London 12 photos
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken