(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Randomness Guide to London 13,970 photos, 118 members
- Benches and Seats 13,029 photos, 1,274 members
- Benches 10,402 photos, 1,324 members
- Blue Plaques 9,608 photos, 231 members
- Inside The British Museum 3,205 photos, 369 members
- Urban trees 30,309 photos, 835 members
- Crouch End 134 photos, 12 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 137 photos, 27 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,858 photos, 153 members
- Craster, Northumberland 211 photos, 45 members
- Holy Island 3,566 photos, 451 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,697 photos, 296 members
- illustrated maps 1,291 photos, 324 members
- illustration maps 1,047 photos, 234 members
- Low POV 20,906 photos, 3,621 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 2,011 photos, 199 members
- Lee On Solent 668 photos, 86 members
- Bin Down That Road 374 photos, 25 members
- Libraries UK 2,158 photos, 167 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 982 photos, 177 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,441 photos, 219 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 24,386 photos, 1,096 members
- Bleak Britain 2,630 photos, 209 members
- Plaques 8,274 photos, 348 members
- Parkside Malvern 43 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 7,040 photos, 360 members
- Regent's Park 2,188 photos, 289 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 24,947 photos, 97 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 20,125 photos, 465 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 7,879 photos, 103 members
- Inns of court, London 380 photos, 60 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 355 photos, 78 members
- Brussels Street Art 13,621 photos, 599 members
- Brick Lane 8,240 photos, 859 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,130 photos, 54 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS WOODS 52,044 photos, 2,003 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,343,519 photos, 172,780 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 115 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,875 photos, 237 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 18,865 photos, 716 members
- CANALMANIA 34,101 photos, 1,107 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 80,591 photos, 2,783 members
- Murals and Mosaics 64,989 photos, 3,892 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 46 photos, 57 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 709 photos, 39 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 25,803 photos, 2,017 members
- Signless Signs 1,405 photos, 250 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken