(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Urban trees 28,646 photos, 812 members
- Crouch End 124 photos, 11 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 119 photos, 25 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,817 photos, 152 members
- Craster, Northumberland 191 photos, 38 members
- Holy Island 3,210 photos, 419 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,230 photos, 273 members
- illustrated maps 1,015 photos, 315 members
- illustration maps 770 photos, 226 members
- Low POV 11,663 photos, 3,539 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 1,842 photos, 192 members
- Lee On Solent 595 photos, 74 members
- Bin Down That Road 377 photos, 23 members
- Libraries UK 1,790 photos, 148 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 640 photos, 157 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,415 photos, 218 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 22,498 photos, 1,037 members
- Bleak Britain 1,737 photos, 145 members
- Plaques 7,458 photos, 333 members
- Parkside Malvern 41 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 6,395 photos, 346 members
- Regent's Park 1,891 photos, 266 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 6,037 photos, 57 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 16,696 photos, 384 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 5,890 photos, 84 members
- Inns of court, London 339 photos, 57 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 344 photos, 77 members
- Brussels Street Art 11,875 photos, 566 members
- Brick Lane 7,714 photos, 821 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,095 photos, 51 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS 34,782 photos, 1,914 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 3,967,719 photos, 154,584 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 114 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,731 photos, 226 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 16,468 photos, 694 members
- CANALMANIA 26,384 photos, 1,035 members
- PLANET EARTH - Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 1,690 photos, 452 members
- Murals and Mosaics 56,314 photos, 3,704 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 40 photos, 56 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 555 photos, 35 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 24,221 photos, 1,981 members
- Signless Signs 1,346 photos, 242 members
- Blank Signs 139 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 606 photos, 96 members
- North Circular Road 1,290 photos, 57 members
- Ladders 1,448 photos, 556 members
- Primrose Hill 416 photos, 89 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken