(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Benches and Seats 12,752 photos, 1,264 members
- Benches 10,221 photos, 1,317 members
- Blue Plaques 9,567 photos, 229 members
- Inside The British Museum 3,199 photos, 368 members
- Urban trees 30,035 photos, 835 members
- Crouch End 133 photos, 12 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 135 photos, 26 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,847 photos, 154 members
- Craster, Northumberland 211 photos, 45 members
- Holy Island 3,571 photos, 448 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,655 photos, 293 members
- illustrated maps 1,225 photos, 322 members
- illustration maps 993 photos, 234 members
- Low POV 20,117 photos, 3,616 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 2,008 photos, 198 members
- Lee On Solent 666 photos, 85 members
- Bin Down That Road 424 photos, 25 members
- Libraries UK 2,108 photos, 165 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 950 photos, 177 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,438 photos, 219 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 24,221 photos, 1,094 members
- Bleak Britain 2,638 photos, 205 members
- Plaques 8,196 photos, 348 members
- Parkside Malvern 43 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 6,993 photos, 357 members
- Regent's Park 2,167 photos, 287 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 22,265 photos, 96 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 19,752 photos, 455 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 7,680 photos, 101 members
- Inns of court, London 379 photos, 60 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 350 photos, 78 members
- Brussels Street Art 13,431 photos, 598 members
- Brick Lane 8,167 photos, 856 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,131 photos, 56 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS WOODS 50,185 photos, 1,998 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,330,200 photos, 171,556 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 114 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,861 photos, 236 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 18,626 photos, 718 members
- CANALMANIA 33,201 photos, 1,107 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 72,649 photos, 2,557 members
- Murals and Mosaics 64,106 photos, 3,871 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 46 photos, 57 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 709 photos, 39 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 25,608 photos, 2,015 members
- Signless Signs 1,401 photos, 250 members
- Blank Signs 143 photos, 28 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken