(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,815 photos, 152 members
- Craster, Northumberland 191 photos, 39 members
- Holy Island 3,193 photos, 418 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,112 photos, 270 members
- illustrated maps 989 photos, 308 members
- illustration maps 751 photos, 224 members
- Low POV 10,170 photos, 3,507 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 1,834 photos, 190 members
- Lee On Solent 528 photos, 73 members
- Bin Down That Road 367 photos, 23 members
- Libraries UK 1,760 photos, 147 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 625 photos, 155 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,403 photos, 217 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 22,319 photos, 1,024 members
- Bleak Britain 1,624 photos, 145 members
- Plaques 7,437 photos, 330 members
- Parkside Malvern 41 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 6,351 photos, 344 members
- Regent's Park 1,882 photos, 264 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 3,195 photos, 53 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 16,153 photos, 372 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 5,648 photos, 79 members
- Inns of court, London 335 photos, 57 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 341 photos, 77 members
- Brussels Street Art 11,632 photos, 560 members
- Brick Lane 7,667 photos, 817 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,085 photos, 49 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS 32,432 photos, 1,890 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 3,883,666 photos, 151,093 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 114 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,716 photos, 224 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 15,909 photos, 693 members
- CANALMANIA 25,103 photos, 1,024 members
- PLANET EARTH CAUTION, DANGER, AND WARNING SIGNS 1,354 photos, 415 members
- Murals and Mosaics 55,255 photos, 3,672 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 40 photos, 56 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 541 photos, 35 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 24,082 photos, 1,979 members
- Signless Signs 1,342 photos, 239 members
- Blank Signs 139 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 591 photos, 96 members
- North Circular Road 1,301 photos, 58 members
- Ladders 1,428 photos, 551 members
- Primrose Hill 416 photos, 89 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 6,978 photos, 713 members
- The Shard 1,303 photos, 180 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,728 photos, 603 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken