(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. I am one of the three councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and the small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
I was asked about the expenses and allowance I get as an elected local councillor.
Like every Haringey councillor I receive a basic annual allowance (From May 2010 it's £10,500 p.a.) I do not receive an additional Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA).
Please click here to read or download my Registration of Members' Interests and the list of all Gifts and Hospitality received since I was first elected to the Council in May 1998. (Up-to-date May 2011.) I have not claimed for any expenses.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 888 photos, 1,986 members
- CANALMANIA 7,045 photos, 324 members
- Caution, Danger & Warning Signs 1,007 photos, 308 members
- Murals and Mosaics 44,453 photos, 3,408 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 26 photos, 56 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 491 photos, 31 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 22,166 photos, 1,946 members
- Signless Signs 1,232 photos, 225 members
- Blank Signs 136 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 309 photos, 68 members
- North Circular Road 1,185 photos, 58 members
- Ladders 1,266 photos, 507 members
- Primrose Hill 386 photos, 82 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 5,757 photos, 590 members
- The Shard 797 photos, 117 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,067 photos, 555 members
- @ the Bad Ass Cafe 944 photos, 43 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 6,358 photos, 1,094 members
- We Love Street Art 135,272 photos, 2,090 members
- Street Art London 47,607 photos, 1,459 members
- Street Art on Flickr 355,711 photos, 5,720 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 46,463 photos, 2,497 members
- Snow in my 'hood 4,335 photos, 341 members
- Rickmansworth 1,269 photos, 83 members
- March for a future that works - 20 October 366 photos, 9 members
- London Sculptures 3,604 photos, 161 members
- shaft of light 117 photos, 18 members
- abandoned toys 175 photos, 39 members
- Diamond Jubilee 2012 London 860 photos, 157 members
- Public Art In Belgium 2,562 photos, 159 members
- Blue Room 9,321 photos, 755 members
- Stroud Green 179 photos, 42 members
- Busking 1,485 photos, 213 members
- Images of the village 7,683 photos, 356 members
- Barnet & Enfield 4,754 photos, 230 members
- ugly architecture 2,226 photos, 328 members
- I can see the Shard from here 832 photos, 109 members
- Occupy London 2,210 photos, 171 members
- My Muswell 50 photos, 17 members
- London Shops 6,285 photos, 696 members
- War Memorials 25,321 photos, 1,951 members
- Filmers of the Filming 1,368 photos, 193 members
- Just walking 26,220 photos, 1,592 members
- Local Government Does Brilliant Things 1,085 photos, 81 members
- Wood Work 4,003 photos, 663 members
- Spelling & Grammar Errors 2,222 photos, 349 members
- Cemetery UK (not churchyards) 11,251 photos, 560 members
- Go! Post-it! 646 photos, 245 members
- London and UK riots 2,259 photos, 315 members
- Rivers 75,489 photos, 6,356 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
21st April, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken