(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Urban trees 29,825 photos, 832 members
- Crouch End 126 photos, 11 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 129 photos, 25 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,841 photos, 152 members
- Craster, Northumberland 213 photos, 45 members
- Holy Island 3,490 photos, 439 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,562 photos, 289 members
- illustrated maps 1,144 photos, 321 members
- illustration maps 891 photos, 230 members
- Low POV 18,204 photos, 3,607 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 1,973 photos, 195 members
- Lee On Solent 661 photos, 84 members
- Bin Down That Road 415 photos, 25 members
- Libraries UK 2,059 photos, 161 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 880 photos, 169 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,431 photos, 219 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 23,757 photos, 1,080 members
- Bleak Britain 2,283 photos, 181 members
- Plaques 7,936 photos, 345 members
- Parkside Malvern 43 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 6,837 photos, 356 members
- Regent's Park 2,010 photos, 282 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 18,445 photos, 84 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 18,708 photos, 435 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 7,092 photos, 94 members
- Inns of court, London 379 photos, 60 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 349 photos, 77 members
- Brussels Street Art 12,896 photos, 591 members
- Brick Lane 8,064 photos, 844 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,104 photos, 53 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS WOODS 46,044 photos, 1,978 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,248,169 photos, 168,389 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 114 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,825 photos, 234 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 18,074 photos, 716 members
- CANALMANIA 31,197 photos, 1,097 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 54,175 photos, 2,145 members
- Murals and Mosaics 61,928 photos, 3,810 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 44 photos, 57 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 659 photos, 38 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 25,298 photos, 2,004 members
- Signless Signs 1,386 photos, 249 members
- Blank Signs 140 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 652 photos, 97 members
- North Circular Road 1,365 photos, 58 members
- Ladders 1,473 photos, 564 members
- Primrose Hill 370 photos, 86 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken