The interplay and the interaction of light on materials and surfaces has long been a fascination for me. As a research scientist and microscopist I used many optical and lighting techniques to gain a deeper understanding of the nature of materials. I am now exploring the world of caustics - those magical patterns that are formed when a beam of light travels through transparent textured materials.
Using traditional photographic techniques and pieces of complex shaped glass and plastics I project these patterns directly on to colour film. The resulting images and photographs that you see are purely analogue and are not computer generated, but a true representation of the patterns formed by the light beam after its complex journey through the refractive objects I create.
I have always sought to find a bridge between art and science; with these "Refractographs" I now feel I have achieved my goal.
2013 Light Painting World Exhibition, Paris
2013 International Photography Awards - 4 Honorable Mentions
2013 International Light Painting Show, Mumbai
2012 "Winter Group Show", Richard Goodall Contemporary Art Gallery, Manchester
2012 Light Painting World Exhibition, Moscow
2012 International Photography Awards - 2 Honorable Mentions.
2011 "Winter Show" Richard Goodall Contemporary Art Gallery, Manchester.
2010 Group Show; "Affordable Art Fair, London" Richard Goodall Gallery
2010 Group Show "On a Visual Quest" Forward Thinking Museum
2010 International Photography Awards - 3 Honorable Mentions.
2009 International Millionaire Fair, Moscow: Display of Images
2009 Px3 Prix de la Photographie Paris - 2 Honorable Mentions
2008 Pilsner Urquell International Photography Awards - 2 Honorable Mentions
2007 Group Show; "Open Lens Gallery", Philadelphia USA
Richard Goodall Contemporary Art Gallery, Manchester UK
Photos of Reciprocity (6)
- Unlimited Grain Contest 1 photo, 83 members
- Refractography ...... no-lens 625 photos, 173 members
- Vasen - Vases 760 photos, 67 members
- abstract light 4,166 photos, 239 members
- experimental film photography 2,052 photos, 256 members
- Deep Space Imagineers (AKA Space Madness) 317 photos, 45 members
- We hate hackers! Arts in one world! 381 photos, 67 members
- The Light Lounge: Abstracts and Patterns 1,889 photos, 144 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,675 members
- Abstract Photos 113,705 photos, 18,525 members
- Chemistry and Art 434 photos, 145 members
- The Sorcerers Apprentice -- Animating the Inanimate 4,412 photos, 179 members
- Tacoma Art Museum 2,792 photos, 529 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 628,557 photos, 26,703 members
- Science in pictures 3,797 photos, 788 members
- TMI: your ART & NATURE **NO PEOPLE OR MANMADE OBJECTS** P1♥C1 159,387 photos, 6,848 members
- Weekly Theme Photography **Bees** 8,199 photos, 1,279 members
- Designing with Light 98 photos, 20 members
- Green Tea Gallery 2,650 photos, 1,174 members
- Analogue Photoshop(Photoshop Free) 236 photos, 100 members
- No more microwave illustration 2,739 photos, 304 members
- making strange (ostranenie) 560 photos, 91 members
- Color Photo Award - PREMIER -- Post 1: Give 2 - Get 5: Go BRONZE 214,373 photos, 31,819 members
- Experimentation 136,552 photos, 10,943 members
- lens flares 11,952 photos, 2,544 members
- Eclectic Gallery (post 1, comment any 1) 22,893 photos, 1,199 members
- "Art in the UK - British Fine Art & Fine Art Photography" 25,377 photos, 1,147 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 66,959 photos, 13,241 members
- Economic and Social History Group - People and their Industry 3,620 photos, 238 members
- elegance in art, graphics and design 24,563 photos, 275 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 412,109 photos, 6,100 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a5) 412,631 photos, 39,430 members
- The Blues! 84,713 photos, 7,876 members
- research 693 photos, 200 members
- Experimental photography (comment on two) 4,089 photos, 349 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 14,758 photos, 1,025 members
- Exploratorium Geometry 4,932 photos, 657 members
- FlickrsBest the original 98,334 photos, 14,787 members
- CITRIT,Best of yours! / Invited shots only/comment 2 / 289,960 photos, 29,292 members
- Creative Eye Photo Gallery ~Invitation Only~ 92 photos, 114 members
- Super Shots - Only Invited Photos - Nominate Now 257,387 photos, 40,516 members
- ~Beauty within~ (invite pics only) 1,468 photos, 419 members
- 100% blank 1,486 photos, 146 members
- Impressed by your Beauty! 204,582 photos, 32,823 members
- ╠Art Libre-Free Art-Arte Libre-Freie Kunst-INVITED PIX ONLY 49,603 photos, 7,889 members
- * Magical Worlds * Comment per Post Required! 61,580 photos, 3,621 members
- flickr GOLD***invited images only pls*** 64,286 photos, 13,259 members
- 1-2-3 ABSTRACT PHOTOGRAPHY 16,023 photos, 1,013 members
- An Awesome Shot! Invited Photos ONLY!! 368,086 photos, 50,368 members
- CRYSTALLIZED 1,676 photos, 343 members
Jo Casson says:
"Wondrous images created by a watchfull person with innovative methods. Thank you Reciprocity for all these beautifull experiences."
21st September, 2012
"Alan Jaras is truly the master of lenless photography. I doubt he will be bettered and a few including myself have tried. His work is both inspiring and experimental. Through the ether of flickr I detect a man who is polite, helpful and very modest about his remarkable achievements. It would be a privilege to meet him face to face.
22nd September, 2011
"I have always been fascinated by caustics, and in the past have even tried my hand at a few bumbling photographs of that elusive light. But never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined such images as created by Reciprocity. The nature of color and light itself are being explored here in ways I never thought possible. I am thankful to have found such creative vision being applied to such an intriguing subject. Kudos. I will continue to look to your portfolio for inspiration and delight."
4th June, 2008
"Alan's experimental explorations of light, refraction and the micro-world are a source of endless fascination; he takes phenomena one might only be peripherally aware of and makes obvious their limitless beauty and intrigue. How much more are we missing, just beyond the edges of our awareness?"
17th September, 2007
"Reciprocity's work provides visual proof (for those that need it) that there is a brave new and unexplored world just beyond our blind senses. His images move in and out of existence, enriching and reminding our materialistic world about the futility of many of our daily actions. Without love and compassion for each other we are locked in the dead end circle of our non-existance .This is what the work of Reciprocity is all about in my own view."
14th July, 2007
I found him on www.flickr.com explore.
Since then I become addicted to his colorful master pieces.
I cannot use words to say how great it is.
So, please visit him more often & be entertain by his great arts!!
Thanks my friend.........."
29th January, 2007
"I often hesitate to comment on one of Reciprocity's wondrous photos - I know there's going to be a long queue of glowing comments to follow in my Comments You've Made pages! His colourful caustics have not just impressed me as phantasmagoric projections - they have been an education in what is possible in terms of subtlety, composition, finesse...
I'm lucky enough to get comments from him, and I often come across his comments on other people's photos too - they are not the plain old 'cool!' or 'great capture' sort of comment (though I'm happy enough to get these too!) - there's always a critical (in the positive sense) appreciation of the qualities of the photo, a sign that a discriminating and generous eye has passed by. I don't know how far exactly his light has been refracting over flickr, but it's certainly made it more wonderful place to spend time.!"
8th November, 2006
"A true photographer and a gifted artist, Alan’s photos inspire me to work even harder at my own craft. I'm so glad I stumbled upon his beautiful glass photos as they have expanded and enriched my understanding of photographic art! A quick look at his stream and you’ll see his talents go far beyond just his wonderful glass photos; but it’s those marvels that I think of second when I think of Alan. Why “second”, because first I think of his overly kind, constructive, and generous comments! He never misses and opportunity to dish out praise and encouragement; its people like Alan that make this flickr community a truly remarkable place."
15th June, 2006
Anduze traveller says:
"Reciprocity is a person whom I'd love to meet face to face. His warm personality come across in the way he comments, replies to comments, expresses interest in others' photos .. His gift for making glass & light much more meaningful is a delight to encounter. One can enjoy his work on so many different levels ...
And I'm addicted to his Microworld series!"
5th April, 2006
"Delightful stream. Wonderful photos from near and far; superclose at times! But what adds to all this is his stylish wit and humour. No visitor will ever get bored.
He is also a friendly and courteous soul who never fails to acknowledge a comment or a visit. Do enjoy his eclectic collection."
27th November, 2005
- Alan Jaras
- May 2005
- North West of England, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- alanjaras [at] googlemail.com