The interplay and the interaction of light on materials and surfaces has long been a fascination for me. As a research scientist and microscopist I used many optical and lighting techniques to gain a deeper understanding of the nature of materials. I am now exploring the world of caustics - those magical patterns that are formed when a beam of light travels through transparent textured materials.
Using traditional photographic techniques and pieces of complex shaped glass and plastics I project these patterns directly on to colour film. The resulting images and photographs that you see are purely analogue and are not computer generated, but a true representation of the patterns formed by the light beam after its complex journey through the refractive objects I create.
I have always sought to find a bridge between art and science; with these "Refractographs" I now feel I have achieved my goal.
2016 LPWA Special Event, Longhusan, China.
2016 Worldwide LPWA Exhibition, Oviedo, Spain.
2016 Group Exhibition "BRYTNINGER" S12 Gallery, Bergen, Norway.
2015 LPWA Special Event, Koblenz.
2015 Affordable Art Fair, London. Richard Goodall Gallery.
2015 "Within Light/ Inside Glass", An Intersection between
Art and Science, Lisbon, Portugal . Invited artist.
2015 Astana ArtFest, LPWA Special Event, Kazakhstan
2015 LPWA Special Event, Stuttgart.
2015 "Within Light/ Inside Glass", An Intersection between
Art and Science, Venice. Invited artist.
2015 LPWA UNESCO Exhibition, Paris.
2014 LPWA Special Event, Aubervilliers, France
2014 International Photography Awards - Honourable Mention.
2014 LPWA Special Event, Lanzhou, China.
2014 LPWA Special Event Hong Kong
2014 Light Painting World Exhibition, Oviedo, Spain
2013 Light Painting World Exhibition, Paris
2013 International Photography Awards - 4 Honorable Mentions
2013 International Light Painting Show, Mumbai
2012 "Winter Group Show", Richard Goodall Contemporary Art Gallery, Manchester
2012 Light Painting World Exhibition, Moscow
2012 International Photography Awards - 2 Honorable Mentions.
2011 "Winter Show" Richard Goodall Contemporary Art Gallery, Manchester.
2010 Group Show; "Affordable Art Fair, London" Richard Goodall Gallery
2010 Group Show "On a Visual Quest" Forward Thinking Museum
2010 International Photography Awards - 3 Honorable Mentions.
2009 International Millionaire Fair, Moscow: Display of Images
2009 Px3 Prix de la Photographie Paris - 2 Honorable Mentions
2008 Pilsner Urquell International Photography Awards - 2 Honorable Mentions
2007 Group Show; "Open Lens Gallery", Philadelphia USA
Richard Goodall Contemporary Art Gallery, Manchester UK
Photos of Reciprocity (6)
- LIGHT PAINTING MÉXICO 1,885 photos, 162 members
- Unlimited Grain Contest 0 photos, 80 members
- Refractography ...... no-lens 787 photos, 249 members
- Vasen - Vases 443 photos, 74 members
- abstract light 6,351 photos, 371 members
- experimental film photography 2,107 photos, 358 members
- Deep Space Imagineers (AKA Space Madness) 324 photos, 48 members
- We hate hackers! Arts in one world! 365 photos, 65 members
- The Light Lounge: Abstracts and Patterns 1,933 photos, 152 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,276 members
- Abstract Photos 121,489 photos, 19,218 members
- Chemistry and Art 513 photos, 159 members
- The Sorcerers Apprentice -- Animating the Inanimate 4,788 photos, 184 members
- Tacoma Art Museum 3,151 photos, 524 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 880,953 photos, 31,305 members
- Science in pictures 5,733 photos, 1,056 members
- TMI: your ART & NATURE **NO PEOPLE OR MAN-MADE OBJECTS** P1♥C1 269,437 photos, 10,430 members
- Weekly Theme Photography **WATER** 8,041 photos, 1,270 members
- Designing with Light 95 photos, 20 members
- Green Tea Gallery 2,492 photos, 1,162 members
- Analogue Photoshop(Photoshop Free) 234 photos, 98 members
- No more microwave illustration 3,359 photos, 319 members
- making strange (ostranenie) 583 photos, 97 members
- Color Photo Award - PREMIER -- Post 1: Give 2 - Get 5: Go BRONZE 246,351 photos, 32,630 members
- Experimentation 141,813 photos, 10,986 members
- lens flares 16,175 photos, 3,021 members
- Eclectic Gallery (post 1, comment any 1) 23,391 photos, 1,181 members
- "Art in the UK - British Fine Art & Fine Art Photography" 33,359 photos, 1,302 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 65,693 photos, 13,036 members
- Economic and Social History Group - People and their Industry 4,330 photos, 267 members
- elegance in art, graphics and design 35,697 photos, 314 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 593,184 photos, 7,639 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 498,159 photos, 40,574 members
- The Blues! 98,978 photos, 8,003 members
- research 696 photos, 195 members
- Experimental photography (comment on two) 5,784 photos, 378 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 18,397 photos, 1,103 members
- Exploratorium Geometry 8,023 photos, 888 members
- **FlickrsBest** 180,471 photos, 16,426 members
- CITRIT,Best of yours! / Invited shots only/comment 2 / 300,711 photos, 29,193 members
- Creative Eye Photo Gallery ~Invitation Only~ 89 photos, 133 members
- Super Shots - Post 1 - Award 2 275,655 photos, 40,563 members
- ~Beauty within~ (invite pics only) 2,017 photos, 434 members
- 100% blank 1,617 photos, 156 members
- ╠Art Libre-Free Art-Arte Libre/Challenge13 DARKNESS PREVAILS 50,779 photos, 8,624 members
- * Magical Worlds * Comment per Post Required! 70,143 photos, 3,748 members
- flickr GOLD***invited images only pls*** 62,568 photos, 12,984 members
- 1-2-3 ABSTRACT PHOTOGRAPHY 15,740 photos, 1,078 members
- An Awesome Shot! Invited Photos ONLY!! 422,172 photos, 50,973 members
- CRYSTALLIZED 1,605 photos, 353 members
Jo Casson says:
"Wondrous images created by a watchfull person with innovative methods. Thank you Reciprocity for all these beautifull experiences."
September 21st, 2012
"Alan Jaras is truly the master of lenless photography. I doubt he will be bettered and a few including myself have tried. His work is both inspiring and experimental. Through the ether of flickr I detect a man who is polite, helpful and very modest about his remarkable achievements. It would be a privilege to meet him face to face.
September 22nd, 2011
"I have always been fascinated by caustics, and in the past have even tried my hand at a few bumbling photographs of that elusive light. But never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined such images as created by Reciprocity. The nature of color and light itself are being explored here in ways I never thought possible. I am thankful to have found such creative vision being applied to such an intriguing subject. Kudos. I will continue to look to your portfolio for inspiration and delight."
June 4th, 2008
"Alan's experimental explorations of light, refraction and the micro-world are a source of endless fascination; he takes phenomena one might only be peripherally aware of and makes obvious their limitless beauty and intrigue. How much more are we missing, just beyond the edges of our awareness?"
September 17th, 2007
"Reciprocity's work provides visual proof (for those that need it) that there is a brave new and unexplored world just beyond our blind senses. His images move in and out of existence, enriching and reminding our materialistic world about the futility of many of our daily actions. Without love and compassion for each other we are locked in the dead end circle of our non-existance .This is what the work of Reciprocity is all about in my own view."
July 14th, 2007
I found him on www.flickr.com explore.
Since then I become addicted to his colorful master pieces.
I cannot use words to say how great it is.
So, please visit him more often & be entertain by his great arts!!
Thanks my friend.........."
January 29th, 2007
"I often hesitate to comment on one of Reciprocity's wondrous photos - I know there's going to be a long queue of glowing comments to follow in my Comments You've Made pages! His colourful caustics have not just impressed me as phantasmagoric projections - they have been an education in what is possible in terms of subtlety, composition, finesse...
I'm lucky enough to get comments from him, and I often come across his comments on other people's photos too - they are not the plain old 'cool!' or 'great capture' sort of comment (though I'm happy enough to get these too!) - there's always a critical (in the positive sense) appreciation of the qualities of the photo, a sign that a discriminating and generous eye has passed by. I don't know how far exactly his light has been refracting over flickr, but it's certainly made it more wonderful place to spend time.!"
November 8th, 2006
"A true photographer and a gifted artist, Alan’s photos inspire me to work even harder at my own craft. I'm so glad I stumbled upon his beautiful glass photos as they have expanded and enriched my understanding of photographic art! A quick look at his stream and you’ll see his talents go far beyond just his wonderful glass photos; but it’s those marvels that I think of second when I think of Alan. Why “second”, because first I think of his overly kind, constructive, and generous comments! He never misses and opportunity to dish out praise and encouragement; its people like Alan that make this flickr community a truly remarkable place."
June 15th, 2006
Anduze traveller says:
"Reciprocity is a person whom I'd love to meet face to face. His warm personality come across in the way he comments, replies to comments, expresses interest in others' photos .. His gift for making glass & light much more meaningful is a delight to encounter. One can enjoy his work on so many different levels ...
And I'm addicted to his Microworld series!"
April 5th, 2006
"Delightful stream. Wonderful photos from near and far; superclose at times! But what adds to all this is his stylish wit and humour. No visitor will ever get bored.
He is also a friendly and courteous soul who never fails to acknowledge a comment or a visit. Do enjoy his eclectic collection."
November 27th, 2005
- Alan Jaras
- May 2005
- North West of England, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- alanjaras [at] googlemail.com