Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- Arizona Historic Markers 29 photos, 2 members
- Reform Judaism 534 photos, 36 members
- Un-enhanced American West 63,875 photos, 1,659 members
- Trails and Campgrounds 129 photos, 6 members
- Naturalight 30,357 photos, 1,465 members
- MONUMENT 67,765 photos, 2,308 members
- MOUNTAIN 187,007 photos, 13,110 members
- • JUDAISM ✡ יהדות • Comment / Award please • 6,666 photos, 223 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 34,886 photos, 2,101 members
- Mushrooms, Fungus, Moss and Molds of North America(free to join) 13,981 photos, 1,642 members
- Mushrooms, fungi - Houby 43,665 photos, 4,480 members
- Colorado! 133,351 photos, 5,953 members
- Sky Islands 4,316 photos, 84 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 389 photos, 50 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 324 photos, 38 members
- SOG Knives 393 photos, 203 members
- CCC Architecture 1,938 photos, 158 members
- * 🌷Simply Flowers (CONTEST: QUINCE FLOWERS) 88,468 photos, 4,061 members
- Glorious Skies 13,075 photos, 664 members
- Aesthetics of Food 82,832 photos, 1,858 members
- Food+Photography 18,638 photos, 429 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 69,142 photos, 2,129 members
- Food and Drink 40,836 photos, 1,035 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 6,834 photos, 333 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 26,211 photos, 3,056 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 12,680 photos, 2,113 members
- Zion National Park 15,435 photos, 1,980 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,980 photos, 311 members
- Jewish 6,020 photos, 383 members
- Your Very Best 99,557 photos, 2,687 members
- Salt Lake City 19,997 photos, 1,436 members
- Utah 83,920 photos, 4,386 members
- Project Weather 622,039 photos, 92,987 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 935 photos, 137 members
- San Francisco Peaks 1,113 photos, 54 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 10,005 photos, 1,829 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 3,925 photos, 275 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 2,202 photos, 48 members
- Vita-Mix Love 306 photos, 73 members
- Vitamix Creations 116 photos, 26 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 4 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 5,028 photos, 115 members
- Photographers' Rights. 213 photos, 3,580 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 2,476 photos, 272 members
- Native America 10,604 photos, 880 members
- Structural Artists 8,543 photos, 1,194 members
- USMC in Action 1,087 photos, 152 members
- Books, Books, Books 3,671 photos, 916 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 4 members
- Trails.com 380 photos, 169 members
- PAC 12 Emblems 11 photos
- Judaism 17 photos
- Owls 2 5 photos
- Owls 18 photos
- Phantom Ranch II 18 photos
- Arizona Historic Cabins 15 photos
- Benovia Winery - Russian River - Sonoma California 18 photos
- Rodeo Clowns 17 photos
- Bichon Frise 16 photos
- PAC 12 Mascots 16 photos
- Arizona Leaf footed bug 3 photos
- Arizona Bugs & Beetles 15 photos
- Chinaco Tequila 9 photos
- Gran Centenario Tequila 17 photos
- Partida Tequila 18 photos
- Herradura Tequila 17 photos
- Arizona Sunsets 12 photos
- Redwood Forests 5 photos
- Grand Canyon Flora 12 photos
- Arlington National Cemetery 13 photos
- Toroweap - Tuweap 9 photos
- Royal Arch - Grand Canyon 12 photos
- Cheyava Falls - Clear Creek 4 photos
- AZRA Rafting 10 photos
- Arizona - things that moved 14 photos
- Trader Vic's 18 photos
- Stanford University 18 photos
- Phantom Ranch - Grand Canyon National Park 17 photos
- Tlaquepaque Sedona Arizona 12 photos
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
December 30th, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
May 13th, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
April 15th, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor