Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
Photos of Ahron de Leeuw (1)
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 289 photos, 1,182 members
- Murals and Mosaics 73,031 photos, 4,075 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,121 photos, 497 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,770 photos, 286 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 15,921 photos, 500 members
- Mystic Travellers 3,770 photos, 201 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 22,717 photos, 1,972 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 31,256 photos, 5,287 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 3,930 photos, 2,269 members
- People of North East India 3,148 photos, 210 members
- Cemeteries around the world 27,708 photos, 755 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 46,524 photos, 2,223 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,843 photos, 19,649 members
- Prints of Darkness 19,987 photos, 6,774 members
- Maroon culture 204 photos, 22 members
- silhouette 401,199 photos, 63,526 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,223,820 photos, 77,282 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 80,111 photos, 3,682 members
- Morocco 48,948 photos, 5,789 members
- Suriname pictures 5,119 photos, 223 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 130,903 photos, 4,805 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 105,094 photos, 11,318 members
- SAARC Photographers 16,144 photos, 815 members
- Mosques and Minarets 52,595 photos, 7,091 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 41,265 photos, 2,430 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 164,284 photos, 4,885 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 741 photos, 151 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 687,171 photos, 8,122 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 753 photos, 187 members
- India Song 35,746 photos, 1,651 members
- People of the Great Rivers 7,120 photos, 1,236 members
- Cultural Boxes 92,367 photos, 2,794 members
- Israel 83,080 photos, 1,937 members
- Jewish World 29,397 photos, 2,645 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 150,741 photos, 8,137 members
- Peoples of India 75,924 photos, 4,272 members
- Decisive Moment 2,636 photos, 37,981 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 9,025 photos, 870 members
- Praise and curse of the city 103,629 photos, 2,978 members
- Global Photojournalism 532,392 photos, 24,451 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,344 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 16,618 photos, 2,584 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 162,466 photos, 16,336 members
- Architectural Details 31,394 photos, 538 members
- top20kafkaesk 130 photos, 16 members
- 100 years old 32,614 photos, 6,270 members
- buildings all over the world 2,095 photos, 92 members
- Bengal / Bangla 28,284 photos, 1,699 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 992 photos, 227 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 1,549,783 photos, 19,489 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken