Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 284 photos, 1,249 members
- Murals and Mosaics 77,587 photos, 4,167 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,121 photos, 499 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,792 photos, 281 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 16,395 photos, 502 members
- Mystic Travellers 3,855 photos, 201 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 22,986 photos, 1,974 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 31,126 photos, 5,326 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 3,918 photos, 2,387 members
- People of North East India 3,172 photos, 214 members
- Cemeteries around the world 28,902 photos, 757 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 47,231 photos, 2,209 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,863 photos, 19,788 members
- Prints of Darkness 19,803 photos, 6,705 members
- Maroon culture 200 photos, 22 members
- silhouette 396,293 photos, 64,418 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,245,484 photos, 77,168 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 83,074 photos, 3,733 members
- Morocco 49,866 photos, 5,858 members
- Suriname pictures 5,204 photos, 224 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 135,190 photos, 4,928 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 104,444 photos, 10,125 members
- SAARC Photographers 16,147 photos, 826 members
- Mosques and Minarets 54,065 photos, 7,177 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 42,496 photos, 2,511 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 163,725 photos, 4,875 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 741 photos, 150 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 713,072 photos, 8,128 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 773 photos, 190 members
- India Song 35,958 photos, 1,643 members
- People of the Great Rivers 7,268 photos, 1,259 members
- Cultural Boxes 92,383 photos, 2,781 members
- Israel 84,795 photos, 1,956 members
- Jewish World 30,344 photos, 2,668 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 154,082 photos, 8,187 members
- Peoples of India 77,431 photos, 4,299 members
- Decisive Moment 2,392 photos, 38,342 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 9,413 photos, 885 members
- Praise and curse of the city 104,654 photos, 2,945 members
- Global Photojournalism 529,982 photos, 24,374 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,329 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 16,500 photos, 2,599 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 165,650 photos, 16,294 members
- Architectural Details 32,182 photos, 535 members
- top20kafkaesk 146 photos, 16 members
- 100 years old 33,199 photos, 6,197 members
- buildings all over the world 2,400 photos, 94 members
- Bengal / Bangla 29,283 photos, 1,758 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 986 photos, 225 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 1,646,140 photos, 20,040 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken